Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benetton vs Munster, Sat 30th Jan 5pm; Eir Sport 1

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Benetton by far and away the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

No more mistakes

Phew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Lads..great kick..no choking from JJ...but we stole that game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

JJ clutch as always .. jk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That was one of the worst performances under JvG but fair play to the team for somehow, somehow digging that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Good DG

Though the they went too early.

Fair play JJ

Almost gutted for treviso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Lads..great kick..no choking from JJ...but we stole that game

Fair play to JJ, calm and composed.

Fair f.ucks to JJ

Gotta feel for Benetton

Super DG in manky conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

That's stolen, more so than the Scarlets game.

Sickening for Benetton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

The legend of JJ Hanrahan. Scraping past Benneton in the pro 14. He's finally peaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

That was not deserved at all. No leadership at all from anywhere.

Well done JJ though

Someone call the Polizia di Stato.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Daylight ****ing robbery but we’ll take it.

Fair play though, literally done nothing for 50 minutes yet right when it matters most to slot a DG well takes balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Well that was terrible. Fair play to JJ. Glad we were willing to go for a DG as well.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Delighted for JJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Well holy ****. RoGesque from JJ. So so so undeserved. Can't state how undeserved that is but fair play to the lads for that last 20seconds plus additional time.

Hopefully JVG gives them the riot act on Monday.
    A really poor performance

• Advertisement

Darcy visibly disappointed that Munster won that....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

2nd best for the vast majority of that game, but fair play for digging that one out. You;d have to feel for Benetton.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He was calling it as it was. Munster only won because Benetton hadn't a clue how to score with all their time in the Munster 22. Munster were awful. Fair play to JJ, especially after last week, but it really, really was papering over the cracks. Did Munster only get into Benettons 22 once in that second half?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Rightly so.

Munster completely undeserving of the win.

A pundit will always go for the plucky underdog story.

Benetton had two more opportunities for a try that they didn't convert. Sweetnam's try came from an error. Scannell's try was an excellent team score that started from a speculative loopy pass by Benetton that was intercepted.

Benetton sabotaged themselves. Very much a showing by a team that hasn't won a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

TA carried better than GC. Hope that is not lost on jvg

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    He was calling it as it was. Munster only won because Benetton hadn't a clue how to score with all their time in the Munster 22. Munster were awful. Fair play to JJ, especially after last week, but it really, really was papering over the cracks. Did Munster only get into Benettons 22 once in that second half?

Think the word hyperbole had been used enough in this forum the last few days without Darcy adding his 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

TA carried better than GC. Hope that is not lost on jvg

He made some noticeable carries over the gain line in the final few minutes and took some line outs too. There isn’t really much of an argument for picking Holland over him at this stage. Like that team had plenty of experienced players, it’s not like Holland’s veteran leadership is really needed.

Haley has this unfortunate knack of committing egregious errors. He had two tonight: Overthrowing a pass to a winger straight into touch and then bizarrely bringing the ball into touch under no pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭mun1

Have to feel sorry for all the “Benetton “ supporters on here tonight . They must be gutted.
    As for munster, awful performance but a win is a win . That’s two poor performances in a row .

Think the word hyperbole had been used enough in this forum the last few days without Darcy adding his 2 cents

I didn't hear everything he said, what was hyperbolic?

• Advertisement

mun1 wrote: »
    Have to feel sorry for all the “Benetton “ supporters on here tonight . They must be gutted.
    As for munster, awful performance but a win is a win . That’s two poor performances in a row .

I don't think it's unreasonable for a neutral fan to feel bad for the underdog team losing in the circumstances they did.

But your sensitivity to people not supporting your team is quite endearing...

I don't think it's unreasonable for a neutral fan to feel bad for the underdog team losing in the circumstances they did.

But your sensitivity to people not supporting your team is quite endearing...

Cheer up , there’s another match coming along in a while and it might make you feel better .

Cheer up , there’s another match coming along in a while and it might make you feel better .

Cheers. I hope you cheer for my team.

Otherwise I might have to make a snarky comment

What age are you? 4? Jaysus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ben Healy needs a lot of development if he's to be a long term option for Munster. Lots of commitment and has a huge boot, but doesn't seem to get his backline going.

Your Mammy is calling you for your dinner.

Clegg wrote: »
    Ben Healy needs a lot of development if he's to be a long term option for Munster. Lots of commitment and has a huge boot, but doesn't seem to get his backline going.

Tactical kicking in open play needs work too.

His comfort in kicking off both feet is incredible though.

But Allen did show much better nous in finding grass from the boot

He does. That will hopefully come with time and I hope Munster stick with him over the 6N.

Whether it's coaching or otherwise, I wish Rory Scannell would stop playing like a bosher. He's not good at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He does. That will hopefully come with time and I hope Munster stick with him over the 6N.

Whether it's coaching or otherwise, I wish Rory Scannell would stop playing like a bosher. He's not good at it.
    Ben still has most of the major issues he had all through school, club with Nenagh, Glenstal. Can kick very well but footwork and moving ball to rest of backline needs lot more work.
    Munster will stick with him. Yes they have Crowley, Flannery but with Larkham there would be mad not to.

On Scannell it has to be coaching.
    He never was a bosher and he's been playing like that for years. He came through as guy well capable of playing both 10 and 12 well and now isnt a decent 10 or 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Nick McCarthy did himself no favours tonight. He really needs to improve quickly when given opportunities because he was very poor this evening.

Healy had a poor enough game from a game management point of view, I feel he needs to have someone strong at 9 to help him, he dosnt have the game yet to boss it himself.

On the coaches calls, The decision to play kicking ping pong in the second half, in particular after going behind with time ticking away was very frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Nick McCarthy did himself no favours tonight. He really needs to improve quickly when given opportunities because he was very poor this evening.

Healy had a poor enough game from a game management point of view, I feel he needs to have someone strong at 9 to help him, he dosnt have the game yet to boss it himself.

On the coaches calls, The decision to play kicking ping pong in the second half, in particular after going behind with time ticking away was very frustrating

I didn't think he was bad, he was rusty. That's not really something that I could blame him for. I think he'll really improve when he comes up to match pace in a few games.

Thomas Ahern is possibly the least used guy at Munster. His ball carrying was superior to Gavin Coombes for the few minutes the coach gave him.

Last few games Ben Healy has looked a bit off and unsure of himself.

Still good for his development to be playing in these tight games.

Have to say JJ has some set of balls , after the amount of stick (justifiable) he would have had in his head the past week.
    Haley was more Jekyll than Hyde, does great things but has a fair few brain farts in most games.

How did Munster win that.

Watched highlights and our defensive line speed was very poor.
    We stood and waited for Benetton to come to us.
    De Allende at least tried to shoot up.
    Looked too relaxed and casual after the 2 early tries , lots of smiling, laughing and joking evident in the highlights when they didn’t have to work too hard for either try. No hunger to get up in bennetons faces
    Thomas Ahern looked good when he came on and our best phases all night were in the lead up to the drop goal.
    Some balls to take that from 35m out. Well done JJ Hanrahan.
    Video review session will be rough

JJ and pressure kicks eh :pac:

3 weeks until Edinburgh away, would have been a long 3 weeks if we had lost yesterday

We won but were pretty poor so have plenty of time to concentrate on the "work- ons" without having to worry about analyzing the opposition

Losing Kleyn midweek and Salanoa before kick off left us light on ball carriers in the pack

Breakdown was a mess

Haley has really improved his performances this season, but yesterday was one to forget

yerrahbah wrote: »

Haley has really improved his performances this season, but yesterday was one to forget

There was a malaise throughout the whole team, seems like too many players had one of those days...and the fact there were 13 changes from the previous game just added a bit to the whole messy situation.
    But give Haley his due...he made a wonderful try saving tackle...shudder to think what would have happened if he didn't nail that

We didn’t have any real direction from the half backs, when Murray or Casey are playing, they Marshall the team, Healy didn’t seem to be communicating enough either. Nobody took responsibility to up the intensity when it was needed

There was a malaise throughout the whole team, seems like too many players had one of those days...and the fact there were 13 changes from the previous game just added a bit to the whole messy situation.
    But give Haley his due...he made a wonderful try saving tackle...shudder to think what would have happened if he didn't nail that
    They scored in the next phase but missed the conversion, it might have been a match winning tackle if their kicker prefers taking kicks from the left touch line rather than the right

Ya probably a bit unfair to single someone out when the whole team was off.

Not sure anyone came out of that with credit apart from JJ and Ahern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Well you lose some and you win some - I felt happier last week even though we lost. We played poorly last night, even when they went down to 14 we just let them dictate the game. I mean they had a man over to score when we had a one man advantage.

I think our halfbacks didn't grab the game in any manner and try to dictate the direction or speed we'd play, only for Cloete we could have lost that game, his penalty got us out of jail and like Connacht a few weeks ago it gave us the field position to try something to grab a win. Fair play to JJ for getting into a position to kick a DG and more importantly, nailing it.

Advertisement