Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP or wait for Social Council House? Advice..

Options
  • 29-01-2021 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just a quick question some of you might be able to help with, if you've gone through the same process.

I am currently on the council housing list with a two year old , one year old and my wife. Living back at home with an elderly grandmother.

On three lists I am 350, 400 and the area with my best option is currently 199.

Do you think I should stick it out if I can or go renting with HAP? And if so does that ruin my chances of getting social housing as I will be deemed not important as others.

It's not an ideal situation for all involved but if I were to move out the HAP scheme would not provide me with the size housing I currently need.

So I'm currently 50/50 as you can see..

Any advice given would be a major help as im not really sure what to do and given its a pandemic theirs not many places I can go for information!!

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You won't be allowed to rent a smaller unit than needed on HAP, so that's something to bear in mind, and that's before you begin the very difficult search for a landlord who will take HAP.

Do you desperately need to move out? If not I'd stay put but be aware that you can move down the housing list as well as up. If someone joins the list with a greater need than you then they will go ahead of you thanks to the points based system.

Advertisement