Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Giants sign Leonard Williams 3 Yr $63m

WR John Ross 1 Yr $2.5m

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Matt Ryan restructured his contract with the Falcons and might have taken themselves out of the rookie QB market this year. I know teams have been open to eating dead money but cutting him in 2022 will be $40m in dead cap (costing $48m). Would be a big waste of a cheap rookie QB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Andy Dalton 10 million. Chicago Bears. Unbelievably ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Badabing wrote: »

Mediocre franchise accepting mediocrity.

Pace could have had Dalton for a third of that last year but decided to trade a 4th for Foles instead. Now he has both and we are no closer to having a QB capable of leading us to a superbowl.

2021 will be a huge waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Even as a non Bears fan that makes me sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tyrod Taylor has signed with the Texans. So tyrod is the desean Watson insurance policy in Houston if as it looks likely Watson is gone entirely or is still with the team but won’t turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oat23 wrote: »
    Mediocre franchise historic and proud franchise accepting mediocrity.

Pace could have had Dalton for a third of that last year but decided to trade a 4th for Foles instead. Now he has both and we are no closer to having a QB capable of leading us to a superbowl.

From a non bears fan Perspective that’s how I’d class the Chicago bears. That money is daft though and I like Andy Dalton but let’s not go mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oat23 wrote:
    Mediocre franchise accepting mediocrity.

You can call him mediocre if you wish but he's a huge upgrade on what you had.
    I think you have a chance to do something if you have a decent OL.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    From a non bears fan Perspective that’s how I’d class the Chicago bears. That money is daft though and I like Andy Dalton but let’s not go mad.
    It's $10 million, Taylor is getting more from the Texans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Badabing wrote: »

Even as a non Bears fan that makes me sad

It's unbelievable

Imagine spending a fortnight getting your hopes up that you'll get Russ and then you get Dalton.

The Bears really have a knack at QB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's $10 million, Taylor is getting more from the Texans.

Taylor's deal is full of incentives, he's unlikely to make anywhere near 12 million. Dalton's deal is reportedly 10 million with and 3 million in incentives.

I feel for Bears fans. Such a meh signing. What's the story with Foles... can they move him on and draft someone to sit behind or beat out Dalton? On the plus side, at least they didn't go crazy and give up a load of picks for a mediocre QB. Yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My first reaction to the Dalton signing was to laugh, that sums it up.

Chiefs retain one Williams but release another, I’m surprised they aren’t keeping Damien around. Kyle Long is visiting apparently which is kinda interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Andy Dalton and Nick Foles.

It's like Nagy and Pace want to get sacked.

Andy Dalton and Nick Foles.
    Dalton is underrated by so many including you.
    He's much better than Foles. He's good enough to lead a team.

Xavi6 wrote:
    My first reaction to the Dalton signing was to laugh, that sums it up.
    I'm surprised at you. I thought you knew a bit.
    What has Dalton done that makes him a joke to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm surprised at you. I thought you knew a bit.
    What has Dalton done that makes him a joke to you?

It's not necessarily Dalton, it's the lack of ambition with Foles already in the QB room. If it was Dalton coming in to mentor a second year QB, for example, I could get on board but he'll be the starter.

Obviously there's still time for them to do something exciting in the draft and move up from 20th but this quote sums it up for me:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021/3/16/22334775/andy-dalton-bears-quarterback-free-agent-10-million-one-season-salary-cap-stats-contract-bengals
    Bringing in Dalton as the presumptive starter for 2021 can best be described as “dispiriting.” He is not a solution. He is better than Foles, but so is pretty much everyone. Even Mitch Trubisky was.

But this team needed more than a micro-upgrade at the most important position.

The humour comes from some Bears fans getting giddy about trade rumours for Wilson and Watson only to end up with...Dalton.

I think Dalton will surprise people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Bears really have a knack at QB.
    Foles, Glennon, Trubitsky, Dalton.

Most on big contract and/or trading picks to get them.

That’s some list!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »

49ers have now signed former Atlanta Center Alex Mack.

• Advertisement

I think Dalton will surprise people.

He's not terrible but his ceiling is fairly low. He is capable of being efficient with good pieces around him. His best case scenario is a 10-6 season and a first round play off loss.

If you plan to bring in a rookie QB in the draft its not a bad plan at all. If you plan to roll with Foles and Dalton as your 2 QB's its a terrible plan.

adrian522 wrote:
    His best case scenario is a 10-6 season and a first round play off loss.
    How on earth do you come up with that?
    A great defense makes a huge difference as to what's expected from a QB. Jared Goff, Nick Foles and Jimmy Garappolo have been to the Superbowl in recent years.

How on earth do you come up with that?
    A great defense makes a huge difference as to what's expected from a QB. Jared Goff, Nick Foles and Jimmy Garappolo have been to the Superbowl in recent years.

From watching his entire career including what he did with great rosters in Cincinnati.

Unlike the guys you mentioned above Dalton has never won a playoff game and is the very definition of a middle of the road QB. Not terrible by any means but not winning you a superbowl.

So fine if you plan to bring in a rookie for Dalton to mentor and eventually handover but if this is their plan at QB for 2021 they may as well have kept Trubisky.

adrian522 wrote: »
    From watching his entire career including what he did with great rosters in Cincinnati.

Unlike the guys you mentioned above Dalton has never won a playoff game and is the very definition of a middle of the road QB. Not terrible by any means but not winning you a superbowl.

So fine if you plan to bring in a rookie for Dalton to mentor and eventually handover but if this is their plan at QB for 2021 they may as well have kept Trubisky.

Isn't there a "Dalton Line"; basically that he's the average QB, if your qb is worse the a him you need to replace him and if the qb is better than him you should be okay going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

You can call him mediocre if you wish but he's a huge upgrade on what you had.
    I think you have a chance to do something if you have a decent OL.

There used to be a thing called the 'Dalton Scale' some nfl.com analyst made up for measuring a QB's worth. He is the baseline for mediocrity.

He has never won a playoff game in his career and he has looked awful in every single one he has played in. Do you think he can come in and lead a team to a superbowl all of a sudden? Because you'll be hard pressed to find a single Bears fan who thinks that. You're not going to do anything meaningful with an Andy Dalton playing QB. He's the very definition of mediocre apart from two or three very good seasons in the mid-10s. A slight upgrade over Foles, yes. But we needed far more than a slight upgrade. It's a completely unnecessary signing and it's digsuting that we are paying two mediocre QBs almost $20m guaranteed this year while being no closer to the goal of winning a superbowl.

Trubisky, despite his many faults, has put up (slightly) better numbers than Dalton since he entered the league in 2017. Consider that.

There is zero imagination or creativity in Ryan Pace's QB decisions:

1) Nagy was hired because he 'loved' Trubisky pre-draft and wanted to work with him. Nagy couldn't develop him and Trubisky is a bust.

2) They hire John De Filippo as QB coach last January and then sign Foles because De Filippo is familiar with him. Foles is a bust.

3) Bill Lazor is promoted to play caller half way through last season and now we need a new QB. Who do we sign? The mediocre guy he knows from Cincy of course.

I suspect he will trade everything to move up in the draft for a QB, but who has any faith in Ryan Pace selecting another QB after blowing every single one so far in his GM career?

They're all clowns and we will waste yet another excellent Bears defense by being completely inept on offense.

adrian522 wrote:
    Are you saying Garappolo, Foles and Goff are better than him?

No, I wasn't comparing him to them. I was meerly saying he is a high floor/low ceiling sort of QB who is not going to lead the Bears to a deep play off run, and if their goal is to win superbowls he is not going to get them any closer.

As I said I'm fine if his role is to mentor a rookie to be drafted next month but if the bears plan to roll with Dalton and Foles as their QB's next season the best they can expect is 9/10 wins and a first round playoff loss.

adrian522 wrote:
    No, I wasn't comparing him to them. I was meerly saying he is a high floor/low ceiling sort of QB who is not going to lead the Bears to a deep play off run, and if their goal is to win superbowls he is not going to get them any closer.
    But as I said in the last four years you've had Foles win a Superbowl and both Goff and Garappolo get to one each.
    adrian522 wrote:
    As I said I'm fine if his role is to mentor a rookie to be drafted next month but if the bears plan to roll with Dalton and Foles as their QB's next season the best they can expect is 9/10 wins and a first round playoff loss.
    The Bears have a very good D, that lessens the amount a QB has to do.
    Dalton has never played behind a decent OL. This Bears line looks ok, probably the best he'll have ever had.
    In his four playoff games to date he's been sacked 12 times and under pressure nearly all the time.
    The playoffs are different, if you don't have a defense you likey lose, if you don't have a decent OL you aren't scoring much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

NFL career passer ratings to date:

Jimmy Garoppolo Passer rating: 98.9
    Jared Goff Passer rating: 91.5
    Andy Dalton Passer rating: 87.5
    Nick Foles Passer rating: 87.1

Its a crude statistic but thats about accurate. Dalton is a slight upgrade from Nick Foles - not an awful QB, but nowhere near playoff standard. Hes a very good back-up, or a mediocre to poor starter, level in the NFL.

Advertisement