Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

DJ_Eoghan wrote: »
    Good deal for the titans. Surprised it took this long, but looking at the length of time and picks, it seems there was not a big market for Julio (unless there were teams in who he didn’t want to go to).

It wasn't that long to make a deal. They were only able to trade him about 5 days before the deal was done due to cap implications (they needed it post June 1 to spread the dead cap).

The market clearly wasn't big but I'd say that is a sign of the times than anything else - with Jones going for around the same as Hopkins. Aside from some outliers that you have to call mistakes (like Sanu to the Patriots for nearly the same as this deal) there doesn't seem to be a market for aging WRs and I think it is understandable. Most of them are on big money or want big new deals, there is scary cliff edge when it comes to drop off in performance at the position as they age, and there is a huge influx of cheap talent nearly every season through the draft. I don't think it will ever get to RB levels but I wouldn't be surprised if the WR market begins to get squeezed soon.

Biggest head scratcher here is where the Colts were in this. I know their 2nd round pick is up in the air for next year but they let a potential game changer go to an division rival when they had a clear need to upgrade at the position and plenty of cap space to play with. Another pretty passive front office.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans are all in this and next year, cap will come and bite them then.
    But if a SB is the result, fans will be more than happy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pats release Cam, Mac Jones gets the starting gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Wow, didn’t see that coming at all. I knew he had dirtied his trousers a bit but I thought they'd start Jones and keep Cam on the roster in case Jones gets in to trouble at any stage.

That is one hell of a vote of confidence in the young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah great news. The Cam experiment was a failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

He wouldn't get vaccinated and had already been fined for COVID breach in pre season so getting rid of him is smartest option.

Can't afford to have him on roster if he gets COVID and causes team to have to forfeit game.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cam will turn up somewhere a few weeks into the season I’d say.

Cam might really have sunk his career by not getting vaccinated - what a complete idiot.

I didn't think it would happen but not overly surprised he was beaten out, Cam was one of the worst starting QBs in the league. What I am surprised by is the Patriots didn't keep him as a back up - he is far better than what they have and could be used in certain packages throughout the season. Either the lack of vaccination is that much of a concern, they didn't want Cam's big presence in the locker room, or didnt want to face fans calling for Cam if Jones struggles - especially given the amount of money they spent in FA.

Really interested to see how Jones performs in the regular season. Unless he melted down he was always the rookie QB that was going to do best in preseason - being a great distributor against lesser talent and vanilla defenses. Will that translate to regular season?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He may but as a backup and not a starter unless a starting QB goes down with an injury and some teams panics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Jofspring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would say back up QB would be the most important place to be vaccinated. Most contact with the starter but doesn't effect games enough for vaccination status to be ignored. NFLPA aren't happy with Urban admitting it but I suspect 32 teams looked at the vaxed status of their players when making those final decisions.

Fair point. Presuming the starter is vaccinated the impact wouldn't be too bad based on the rules if he wasn't infected but the risk of that infection is so much higher in the unvaccinated that it probably isn't worth the risk, even for a higher end back up that can be used in packages.

Not at all surprised Urban said the quiet part loud - of course it is impacting the decision of every team, if it wasn't everyone should be fired. It will end up deciding games this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

as you say, Meyer's only mistake was actually saying it. In reality making a decision about an unvaxxed player is no different than assessing someone's injury history: how likely is it that their recurring back issue, hamstring, refusal to vaccinate, etc will mean at some point they will be unavailable, versus how much benefit are they to the team that it makes them worth taking the risk of a roster spot. They make this calculation all the time, for some the risk probably weighs even heavier since they may not just miss out but could make someone ELSE, or even several people, miss out as well. You'd want to be pretty damn good to warrant the risk and Cam Newton aint.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm surprised at Cam, always had him down as a reasonably intelligent chap but he's acting dumb now.

Advertisement