Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Aaron Jones just signed a 4 year, $48 million contract extension for the Packers. Hes a great player, and thats definitely better value than Zeke or some of the other top tier RBs getting $15m/year, but paying a RB that much still seems a bit of a waste given how easy it is to find cheap replacements these days, and given how injury prone they are. Especially given the cap this and next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Blut2 wrote: »
    Aaron Jones just signed a 4 year, $48 million contract extension for the Packers. Hes a great player, and thats definitely better value than Zeke or some of the other top tier RBs getting $15m/year, but paying a RB that much still seems a bit of a waste given how easy it is to find cheap replacements these days, and given how injury prone they are. Especially given the cap this and next year.

It's probably a lot less than that in reality, the initial agent announcement usually paints the rosiest picture possible. It does make the AJ Dillon pick last year even more bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's probably a lot less than that in reality, the initial agent announcement usually paints the rosiest picture possible. It does make the AJ Dillon pick last year even more bizarre.

It is like they nearly trying to go out of their way to make those picks that looked bad at the time look even worse. You wouldn't want your GM to make their decisions based on sunk costs but it looks terrible.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

The Dillon pick actually makes some sense - Jamaal Williams is out of contract now and unlikely to return in 2021. Dillon is far closer to a direct replacement (and ideally upgrade) for him than Jones, in terms of being a big bruising RB. And having two good RBs, ideally of contrasting styles, is pretty much a requirement these days.

The moving up to take Jordan Love pick though...thats the really questionable one from last year.

The Dillon pick actually makes some sense - Jamaal Williams is out of contract now and unlikely to return in 2021. Dillon is far closer to a direct replacement (and ideally upgrade) for him than Jones, in terms of being a big bruising RB. And having two good RBs, ideally of contrasting styles, is pretty much a requirement these days.

The moving up to take Jordan Love pick though...thats the really questionable one from last year.

I get your overall point about RB room but the way they went about it seems incredibly poor.

You don't need to pick a complementary RB in the 2nd round, as they can be found throughout the draft and even undrafted, and you certainly dont need to pick one a year before you have the need, as you lose a year of them being cheap.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I get your overall point about RB room but the way they went about it seems incredibly poor.

You don't need to pick a complementary RB in the 2nd round, as they can be found throughout the draft and even undrafted, and you certainly dont need to pick one a year before you have the need, as you lose a year of them being cheap.

I think the Packers management would argue they saw him as potentially as good as Derrick Henry, so in theory providing them with two top tier RBs this year now. And that he could very easily have gotten more use last year if either of Williams or Jones had been out for long with injuries, which didn't happen but would have had reasonably high odds given how injury prone RBs are.

And to be fair drafting a new RB you're very high on also makes a reasonable amount of tactical sense when both your RB1 and RB2 are in the final year of their contracts. There was no guarantee either or both of them were coming back for 2021.

Though eh...yeah, it probably wasn't the best draft move tactically. But it made more sense than Jordan Love at least. We'll see how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

First deal already today with Guard Kevin Zeitler returning to the AFC North and joining the Ravens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭letowski

The rumours start flying today.

Even before any spending unofficially starting today, some teams were still underwater from a cap perspective (some team might have changed slightly since this post).

Rams appear like they're going to wait until the last minute to cut guys in the hopes that teams will have spent money early, giving them a better chance of getting guys back on a cheap deal. Again, a move that I can't see players being happy about.

I'm sure restructuring deals could help but I'd be surprised if they could get that much down

https://twitter.com/JeffRatcliffe/status/1371255963215347713?s=20

Weren't the Saints approx $80mn over the cap to begin with? They've done some very creative accounting there.

If the cap doesn't jump up a massive amount over the next few seasons thats surely going to hurt them quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Weren't the Saints approx $80mn over the cap to begin with? They've done some very creative accounting there.

If the cap doesn't jump up a massive amount over the next few seasons thats surely going to hurt them quite a bit.

It was some creative accounting but they had to cut several as well. Brees retiring hasn't even hit the cap yet either. They have several guys with void years that will eventually hit. Their dead cap on nearly every decent player is massive - which in itself isn't terrible but it gives you no flexibility if form drops off or injury. They'll be walking a tightrope for years, especially with some key cheap guys coming up for new deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Schwartz AND Fisher on the same day, carnage :(

Keep calm and trust Brett Veach.

https://twitter.com/bynatetaylor/status/1371467062711877633?s=21

letowski wrote: »
    The rumours start flying today.

Not really rumours, contracts are agreed - just not signed. Rarely do teams/players change their mind outside of medical issues.

All kicking off in less than 30 minutes, it hasn't taken long to get the first deals through over the last few years. Some many deals are clearly done beforehand.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1371294842085634049?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Handy summary of the cap situation for each team. Doesn't include what the Chiefs are doing / have done with Kelce and Jones. Think they're closer to $20m if you factor that in.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1371475571482443777?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭cosatron

its a funny one, aaron Jones is great but i would have spent it on Linsley and keep Dillon and William. I thought linsley was outstanding at center all year. I say Z Smith and Rodgers did a big restructure for Jones to get that kind of money. On the positive side of things, it looks like all the players are looking to stay in Green bay and restructure contracts and go all in again next year.

cosatron wrote: »
    its a funny one, aaron Jones is great but i would have spent it on Linsley and keep Dillon and William. I thought linsley was outstanding at center all year. I say Z Smith and Rodgers did a big restructure for Jones to get that kind of money. On the positive side of things, it looks like all the players are looking to stay in Green bay and restructure contracts and go all in again next year.

I would have gone that other route as well.

On restructures, nearly all are a good thing for players - they are usually lining up to do it. Turning salary into a signing bonus means they get their money sooner and more of it is guaranteed.

Golloday meeting with the Giants (Schefter)
    Shaq Barrett staying in Tampa (Josina Anderson)
    Markus Golden staying in Arizona (Rap)

Shaq Barrett and Okwara staying with their teams - the number of top edge guys available shrinking already.

Shaq Barrett and Okwara staying with their teams - the number of top edge guys available shrinking already.

3y/$39m was rich enough for Okwara. I guess the Lions were very keen on him staying.

$17m a year for Barrett, up to $18m if he gets 15 sacks + makes playoffs.

• Advertisement

$17m a year for Barrett, up to $18m if he gets 15 sacks + makes playoffs.

Alot of DEs on the market. So Okwara is at $13m/y and Barrett at $17m/y. It will be interesting to see where the likes of Ngakoue, Dupree, Hendrickson, Lawson, etc. go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

letowski wrote: »

Great signing, I really like Smith.

Rapoport saying we're making a big push for Judon. He'd be a terrific signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I know poor teams generally are the ones that have lots of spare salary cap, but Patriots are doing this year what they've always been praised for avoiding - paying top money and it seems above market rates for players in FA.

Really seems like Bill is throwing whatever he can to get back to being competitive again in his tightening window rather than going through a normal rebuild.

Having said that, I like all the players they've signed so it could work out.

Thuney to the Chiefs. Big surprise there.

I know poor teams generally are the ones that have lots of spare salary cap, but Patriots are doing this year what they've always been praised for avoiding - paying top money and it seems above market rates for players in FA.

Really seems like Bill is throwing whatever he can to get back to being competitive again in his tightening window rather than going through a normal rebuild.

Having said that, I like all the players they've signed so it could work out.

Kendrick Bourne any good? We're supposedly talking to him. Is he any upgrade on the re-aninated corpse of Julian Edelman or the guy who's pretending to be college wide receiver N'Keal Harry?

Kendrick Bourne any good? We're supposedly talking to him. Is he any upgrade on the re-aninated corpse of Julian Edelman or the guy who's pretending to be college wide receiver N'Keal Harry?

Great guy and has been consistently improving each year after being UDFA - definitely suit the Belichick culture. Worked his was up to being WR3 last year, though with Kittle he was the 4th target option. He isn't going to blow you away with speed or run after the catch but he has good hands and was regularly a go to on 3rd/4th down.

Think he'd fit in very well in your system but don't expect him to be a star signing, more likely a good complement to another bigger name guy that you'll get as another part of your splurge :pac:

Overall, a guy most 49ers fans are sad to see go but given our tight cap space not a guy that anyone wants prioritized to keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nelson Agholor to the Pats.

Advertisement