Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capital Allowances on Rental Income

• 29-01-2021 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

If I move out of my current PPR house and want to then rent it out can I only claim capital allowances on things I buy after I move out for the sole purpose of renting? Like if I leave a couch, dishwasher, fridge, washer, dryer etc when I move out and they are say 3 years old can I claim 5 years on them or is it only stuff I buy brand new for the renters that I can claim 12.5% of?
    Apologies if this has been answered I can't find anything anywhere about it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 TaxPro

Don't know to be honest, but feels a little sketchy. In any case, if you were allowed them, it would be over 8 years based on the value of them at the date you started renting it out. For example, you buy a fridge for EUR 500 3 years ago, which is worth EUR 200 today - you'd get EUR 25 of capital allowances each year for 8 years.

But going back to my original point, feels a little sketchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

You can claim allowances on any fixtures in the house when you commence renting the house. Just value them at that date and claim over 8 years

Advertisement