Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Draft 2021

• 29-01-2021 2:24pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭

nfl-draft-og_1.jpg

Date(s): Thursday 29th April - Saturday 1st May

Here is the draft order for the first round:

Selection Team 2020 record Schedule strength Playoff result
    1 Jacksonville Jaguars 1–15 .549
    2 New York Jets 2–14 .594
    3 Houston Texans (Traded to SF via Miami) 4–12 .541
    4 Atlanta Falcons 4–12 .551
    5 Cincinnati Bengals 4–11–1 .529
    6 Philadelphia Eagles (Traded to Miami) 4–11–1 .537
    7 Detroit Lions 5–11 .508
    8 Carolina Panthers 5–11 .531
    9 Denver Broncos 5–11 .566
    10 Dallas Cowboys 6–10 .471
    11 New York Giants 6–10 .502
    12 San Francisco 49ers (Traded to Philadelphia via Miami) 6–10 .549
    13 Los Angeles Chargers 7–9 .482
    14 Minnesota Vikings 7–9 .504
    15 New England Patriots 7–9 .527
    16 Arizona Cardinals 8–8 .475
    17 Las Vegas Raiders 8–8 .539
    18 Miami Dolphins 10–6 .467
    19 Washington Football Team 7–9 .459 WC
    20 Chicago Bears 8–8 .488 WC
    21 Indianapolis Colts 11–5 .443 WC
    22 Tennessee Titans 11–5 .475 WC
    23 Seattle Seahawks (traded to NY Jets) 12–4 .447 WC
    24 Pittsburgh Steelers 12–4 .475 WC
    25 Los Angeles Rams (traded to Jacksonville) 10–6 .494 Div
    26 Cleveland Browns 11–5 .451 Div
    27 Baltimore Ravens 11–5 .494 Div
    28 New Orleans Saints 12–4 .459 Div
    29 Green Bay Packers 13–3 .428 Conf
    30 Buffalo Bills 13–3 .512 Conf
    31 Kansas City Chiefs 14-2 .465 Lost SB
    32 Tampa Bay Bucaneers 11-5 .488 Won SB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Interesting list of top QBs from Chris Simms, very different to what is appearing to be the current draft community consensus.

No matter what you think of him as a pundit, he usually goes his own way with these lists and has one of the best hit rates when it comes to evaluating QBs coming out of college over the last few years.

The Mac Jones hype is really heating up but he scares me so much for the 49ers to pick (he really fits what Shanahan has liked).

https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1367121407075897346?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We've been watching how Football Thor* has been going at 1.1 in every mock draft for the last 2 years.

Interesting to see Chris have Wilson at 1.

All things being equal, I'd still be giving all that capital to Houston to get the cert that is Watson.

2020-01-16-JoeBurrowBengals.png

https://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/joe-burrows-celebration-hits-a-snag/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

An interesting trend that has emerged in the draft process is there are a lot of players posting unusually fast 40 yard dash times at EXOS training facilities. There isn’t an official combine this year in Indy.

Anyway, Jayson Oweh a 255lbs DE has reportedly posted a 4.34 and 4.38 40. Quite an incredible time for a d-lineman. I remember Montez Sweat posting a 4.42 thinking it was fairly close to unbeatable. For another guy to break by 8/100ths is something crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

How many times are you going to have to change that draft order before draft day Adrian:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

https://twitter.com/Gridiron/status/1375511272368742405

I know pro days are scripted to make players look their absolute best, but the ease with which Wilson seem to make this throw is insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Terrace Marshall Jr. for my Ravens, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

It will be interesting to see how this draft goes. There will be limited tape on some players and with less opportunities for teams to get to know players, there will probably be wide discrepancies on team boards. There will surely be quite a few surprises with players going higher/lower than expected by the draft analysts.
    I'd say that this draft will be interesting to look back on in a few years to see where the next generation of pro-bowlers went.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

phatkev wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Gridiron/status/1375511272368742405

I know pro days are scripted to make players look their absolute best, but the ease with which Wilson seem to make this throw is insane

"Outrageous" :D

I'd say there isn't a starter or backup in the NFL who couldn't do similar in a drill with no pressure, no coverage and everyone on the same page re: the route being run, no danger of a tipped pass, no linemen to look over etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

phatkev wrote: »
    How many times are you going to have to change that draft order before draft day Adrian:p

A few! Updated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »

Even though they don't have to hide the front office loves to mess with the media coming up to the daft. They were all over Quinnen Williams 2 years ago when Bosa was the obvious choice. Can't read into a thing they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Even though they don't have to hide the front office loves to mess with the media coming up to the daft. They were all over Quinnen Williams 2 years ago when Bosa was the obvious choice. Can't read into a thing they do.

It's a selective quote. He meant they don't need to hide going after a QB. Fields is going to have a separate throwing session with them at later date.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm going to be upset if they select Mac Jones at 3. They could have traded up to 6 and still got him for the cost of one future first round pick instead of 2 future firsts and a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭cosatron

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm going to be upset if they select Mac Jones at 3. They could have traded up to 6 and still got him for the cost of one future first round pick instead of 2 future firsts and a third.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/1376952661522661376

Christy42 wrote: »
    It's a selective quote. He meant they don't need to hide going after a QB. Fields is going to have a separate throwing session with them at later date.

Yeah I got that bit, Shanahan and Lynch were very open about feeling freer during their press conference on Monday.

My point was that even though they don't have to hide any more that they are going for a QB, it doesn't mean that they won't still use smokescreens about which QB they are most interested in - even if there is only the smallest chance their actions might impact another team.

All teams do it but I haven't heard of another front office openly admit to it year after year like they have.

I think Jones will do fantastic within Kyle's system but I would be very similarly upset.

Not only the wasted picks due to him likely being available later but more so how low his ceiling is - with the haul they gave you want a player who has the traits to be able to do things off-script, as Kyle won't always be able to call up the right play and have no player on offense make a mistake.

The thought of Shanahan's system with a QB that can throw to all parts of the field while also being a legitimate running threat is mouthwatering and worth the picks they've given up - the thought of a guy who at best might be slightly better than what they have currently, with similar limitations, just isn't.

Shanahan's agent is leaning hard into the Fields to the 49ers hype to sell their training camps.

Again, nothing really to point to them taking Fields but given that Kyle's Dad and half the 49ers recent coaching teams have been involved in the camps they'll have some extra info on him. The Shanahan's also have strong relationships with the private QB coach of Fields and Wilson. They won't lack for info on either of those guys.

https://twitter.com/QBCollective/status/1377430397923909633?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watched the opening of total access on nfl network and not surprisingly the talk was about the draft and more specifically about who the niners of San Francisco will take at no 3. Bucky brooks in his mock draft 3.0 has Trey Lance going to the niners, and the four guests they had one, which including three players(David carr, James Jones, Maurice Jones drew) and one former executive(Marc Ross) all said that Justin fields is the guy.

Then they went to Ian rappaport in Cleveland who said in a conversation with Urban Meyer he mentioned that the the three QBs that they talked to in detail were Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, and Justin fields.

Just an interesting discussion just over 48 hours until we will know for sure who they will select.

I'm going to be upset if they pick Jones, not because I think he's a bad player just because they would have made this huge trade for a guy they could have gotten later at a lower cost.

All the talk seems to be that they are out on fields and that Shanahan wants to draft Jones and the personnel team want to draft Lance. The whole thing makes no sense to me.

I'm going to be upset if they pick Jones, not because I think he's a bad player just because they would have made this huge trade for a guy they could have gotten later at a lower cost.

All the talk seems to be that they are out on fields and that Shanahan wants to draft Jones and the personnel team want to draft Lance. The whole thing makes no sense to me.

And to add to what I said last night they also had a reporter outside Levi stadium and from what he said the niners fans around there that he spoke to seemed uneasy about it being Mac Jones so Adrian there seems to be not just you.

I mean the jets could take Justin fields and then all bets are off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭nerd69

Some.rumors that the eagles live kwity paye also I know draft week rumors should be ignored but he fits their type.i think we could see a lot of surprise picks this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And to add to what I said last night they also had a reporter outside Levi stadium and from what he said the niners fans around there that he spoke to seemed uneasy about it being Mac Jones so Adrian there seems to be not just you.

I mean the jets could take Justin fields and then all bets are off.

Chris Simms and Daniel Jeremiah both reckon it's Mac Jones. I can see him being the pick alright, given how they laid it out - he's what Kyle Shanahan likes - accurate.

If the Jets take anyone other than Wilson then they have done a terrible job in preparing their fanbase for that. Has to be Wilson at 2.

nerd69 wrote: »
    Some.rumors that the eagles live kwity paye also I know draft week rumors should be ignored but he fits their type.i think we could see a lot of surprise picks this year

Saw a report on Paye's upbringing on Total Access last night. You couldn't help but root for the guy after watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭nerd69

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Chris Simms and Daniel Jeremiah both reckon it's Mac Jones. I can see him being the pick alright, given how they laid it out - he's what Kyle Shanahan likes - accurate.

If the Jets take anyone other than Wilson then they have done a terrible job in preparing their fanbase for that. Has to be Wilson at 2.

Saw a report on Paye's upbringing on Total Access last night. You couldn't help but root for the guy after watching it.

Chris simms is also.very good buddies with Kyle shanahan so.may have some insight

Ya I'd be ok with late tbh man looks like a stringer brandon graham

nerd69 wrote: »
    Chris simms is also.very good buddies with Kyle shanahan so.may have some insight

Ya I'd be ok with late tbh man looks like a stringer brandon graham

I disagree strongly with it but I think Jones is more than likely the pick. 49ers fans are more than uneasy about the pick, they are in full on revolt despite a sizeable proportion still believing there is no chance they take Jones. They will be in full meltdown tomorrow night if he goes at 3.

The likelihood of the pick to me however wouldn't have anything to do with the Simms connection though - both Kyle and Simms said they don't ever talk about that kind of stuff and Simms was completely wrong last year on Kyle's WRs preference. Simms had 49ers taking Ruggs last year when they took Kinlaw and Shanahan said Ruggs wasn't even in his top 2 WRs.

Simms also can't really say anything else regarding Jones other than him go at 3. He went out on a limb to put Jones as his 3rd best QB in his rankings prior to the 49ers trade, when Jones was looking like a mid-first round pick, so he can't now suddenly change his mind. I wouldn't be surprised if part of him ranking Jones 3rd best was the potential of Kyle or the Patriots taking him at 12 or 15 and knowing he'd be in a much better position than Lance and Fields to succeed earlier and he'd look like a genius.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Sounds like they've started the misery videos already. Makes it nearly impossible to watch on TV, would swear it was a US talent show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The first two QBs are set - what the 49ers do will determine what a lot of other teams do. If Fields is available at 1.4 then I expect the Broncos to go after him. it is possible that the Falcons will stick at 1.4 to take Pitts - then Fields could drop to 1.7 with the Bengals and the Dolphins taking WRs. If that happens it is a no-brainer for the Broncos.

If the 49ers take Fields -then it is possible someone could jump to 1.7 for Lance (or Jones - but more likely Lance). Carolina are likely to take a QB at 1.8. If Lance drops to 1.9 I would expect the Broncos to take him there (I'd be surprised if they would trade up for him). Jones is a high floor - low ceiling type of player who will probably be a decent NFL QB (maybe an Andy Dalton type). Lance is the opposite - he could be a Josh Allen type or a complete bust - there is unlikely to be anything in between. I can't see the Broncos taking Mac Jones simply because he is unlikely to be good enough to compete with Mahomes and Herbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Christy42

Are the Broncos and Panthers still taking QBs after their trades I wonder. It would seem like odd moves. I guess Teddy could work as a mentor to whoever they pick at 9 though I get the impression he is more interested in playing.

Also if SF was really happy with 5 different guys at then that trade with the Dolphins will look worse and worse since if they don't at least 1 of the QBs will fall and they will have paid an extra few first rounders for nothing.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Are the Broncos and Panthers still taking QBs after their trades I wonder. It would seem like odd moves. I guess Teddy could work as a mentor to whoever they pick at 9 though I get the impression he is more interested in playing.

Also if SF was really happy with 5 different guys at then that trade with the Dolphins will look worse and worse since if they don't at least 1 of the QBs will fall and they will have paid an extra few first rounders for nothing.

Well the Bridgwater trade isn’t a surprise as it seemed clear the panthers wanted to move on and them signed Sam darnold proved it. I think the broncos may be out because they have drew lock and now bridgewater and I doubt they’d pick a QB at 9 and put them third and sit. This trade makes things interesting for Justin fields because even though I don’t think he should fall beyond the top ten he may now do so and it’s reported by Tom pellesero of nfl network that the pats are looking to move up.

I don't think it takes either team out of picking a QB. Denver have a solid backup in Bridgewater, Carolina still paying a large chunk of his salary and only gave up a 6th for him. They could absolutely take a QB and then move on from Lock, or even keep him as QB3.

Carolina could draft a QB and have an open competition with Darnold to see which one wins the job. Not saying they will but the trade doesn't take either out of the first round QB market.

And yes, there was no need for SF to move to 3, they gave up an additional first that they could have kept and instead moved to 6 and still gotten their guy. But I don't believe they are equally happy with the 5 guys, so at least at 3 they have their pick of the 3 that get past the Jets.

• Advertisement

I don't think it takes either team out of picking a QB. Denver have a solid backup in Bridgewater, Carolina still paying a large chunk of his salary and only gave up a 6th for him. They could absolutely take a QB and then move on from Lock, or even keep him as QB3.

Carolina could draft a QB and have an open competition with Darnold to see which one wins the job. Not saying they will but the trade doesn't take either out of the first round QB market.

And yes, there was no need for SF to move to 3, they gave up an additional first that they could have kept and instead moved to 6 and still gotten their guy. But I don't believe they are equally happy with the 5 guys, so at least at 3 they have their pick of the 3 that get past the Jets.

Agree with these takes - I think if the right guy falls to either Panthers or Broncos they take them. This however points to them not being that confident their guy would be there and the cost to move up too high. They have safety nets now to see how things go on draft night - like the 49ers did with Jimmy prior to the trade. It is smart to have that cover but you need to take some risks at some point - especially the Broncos with their division

On the SF pick, something just occurred to me that I don't think I saw mentioned in the coverage I've read. 49ers said from day one that they were comfortable with 3 guys when moving up. Understandably everyone has presumed Lawrence is 1 of them but are we sure Wilson is the 2nd? He has many potential red flags that could concern a team - injury history being a huge one for the 49ers. Could it be they were happy with Jones as a 3rd option but always had one of Fields or Lance ahead of him. Given all the ways the pick has been teased out, I'm not sure the assumption of Wilson being every team's 2nd pick has been challenged enough.

Advertisement