Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Draft 2021

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Surprised the 49ers taking 2 RBs in the draft when that room was already in a decent shape. Both great fits so it will be interesting if they try to ship someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,331 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote:
    Surprised the 49ers taking 2 RBs in the draft when that room was already in a decent shape. Both great fits so it will be interesting if they try to ship someone else.
    It seems every one of their backs is injury prone so even having a couple for the practice squad makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Howie roseman is having a very good draft which is great. This RB from Memphis is 200lbs and ran a 4.4 40.

And there's a video.of him laying micah parsons out which is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

nerd69 wrote: »
    And there's a video.of him laying micah parsons out which is nice

I mean a big lad getting going down hill won’t be easily stopped. The eagles took a safety in the sixth round and then changed his position to LB on the graphic. They’ve drafted several line backers.

I started out watching every pick but I’ll be honest the last hour and a bit I’ve not been watching as much. I did watch a good bit though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

eagle eye wrote: »
    It seems every one of their backs is injury prone so even having a couple for the practice squad makes sense.

I'm not sure about them being injury prone, but it is a position that sees a fairly high injury rate.

I really like the look of Elijah Mitchell, their 6th round pick. I actually predicted him to go to SF in a mock I did ( the only pick I got right).

Bit of a home run hitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Now the fun starts

ZHGvelN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

If we took ardarius washington in the late 3rd I'd have been ok with it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I love those videos of draft picks getting calls, this is the best one from this year...

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1388638236587724807?s=19

Breakdown of how each of the top analysts graded teams performance in the draft. Obviously the true success wont be know for a few year but a fun exercise all the same.

It is laughable how safe some analysts go with their rankings for fear of annoying fanbases - 'everyone did a great job'.

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1388864754450567169?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Breakdown of how each of the top analysts graded teams performance in the draft. Obviously the true success wont be know for a few year but a fun exercise all the same.

It is laughable how safe some analysts go with their rankings for fear of annoying fanbases - 'everyone did a great job'.

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1388864754450567169?s=20

They really need to go over drafts a few years out to see how teams did. It would be interesting to see which teams consistently rock the draft but don't translate it into wins as well.

Having said that I think this is still a fun exercise to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Foxtrol wrote: »

The fact everyone loves the Bears draft makes me uncomfortable. Fields was my QB2 since the Clemson game in particular. I thought he was NFL ready and had the skillset to be a franchise QB for whoever drafted him, but even though I badly wanted him I thought he'd go at 2 or 3, so obviously getting him at 11 I was ecstatic.

Now though with the entire league saying "that's a great pick", "the Bears finally have a legit QB" and giving A+ grades I can't help but feel like we're all being pranked by everyone because good QB things don't happen to us. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oat23 wrote: »
    The fact everyone loves the Bears draft makes me uncomfortable. Fields was my QB2 since the Clemson game in particular. I thought he was NFL ready and had the skillset to be a franchise QB for whoever drafted him, but even though I badly wanted him I thought he'd go at 2 or 3, so obviously getting him at 11 I was ecstatic.

Now though with the entire league saying "that's a great pick", "the Bears finally have a legit QB" and giving A+ grades I can't help but feel like we're all being pranked by everyone because good QB things don't happen to us. :pac:

So you think the Chicago bears optimism has peaked too early in the off season is it ? I mean fields has to work out for Ryan pace and Matt Nagy because if Justin fields doesn’t work, I think they’ll be out the gap.

Oat23 wrote: »

They went and gave you guys a good shot at it. Hearing reports that Vikings wanted him, would put money that the Pats would have taken him over Jones. At least 8 teams supposedly had him over Lawrence according to one report (after the draft when scouts were a little more open).

None of the above is a guarantee in any way shape or form. However Fields give you a shot at a star QB. Dalton does not. Whatever happens I think the decisions made during the draft with the information they had were the right ones (unless they had some extra negative info on Fields).

Now Nagy, Pace might screw it up or Fields may not develop but that is on decisions made outside of the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

It's great being a Ravens fan come draft time, just able to sit back and chillax.

Another solid draft.

Minimum of B+.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So you think the Chicago bears optimism has peaked too early in the off season is it ? I mean fields has to work out for Ryan pace and Matt Nagy because if Justin fields doesn’t work, I think they’ll be out the gap.

If fields doesn't work, and Ryan pace and Matt nagy AREN'T out, then as a fan I most certainly will be.

It's great being a Ravens fan come draft time, just able to sit back and chillax.

Another solid draft.

Minimum of B+.

Not sure about that, Bateman should be a good receiver but Baltimore didn't do enough to improve O-line.

Not sure what ravens fans have to 'chillax' about to be honest. Beaten out by the Steelers last year and Cleveland looks best placed to take that division next year to be honest.

They really need a better play caller to be honest. Fields has potential but he still needs protection in terms of play design and play calling.

He could go either way depending on how he is utilized.

I still think he will be successful but Chicago needs to be careful how they use him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

adrian522 wrote: »
    They really need a better play caller to be honest. Fields has potential but he still needs protection in terms of play design and play calling.

He could go either way depending on how he is utilized.

I still think he will be successful but Chicago needs to be careful how they use him.

Nagy gave up play calling last season. The results were generally positive, we became less likely to do needlessly "clever" things and made sensible and effective, unfussy decisions that were situational and based on the strengths of the personnel. It generally worked. So needless to say Nagy has now retaken the play calling duties he failed at before, without providing any solid rationale for doing so (but we know why). I was delighted with the draft but there are other problems we face and his self regard is a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

adrian522 wrote: »
    I love those videos of draft picks getting calls, this is the best one from this year...

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1388638236587724807?s=19

You just can't help but want Matt Rhule to succeed there. I've read so much about his time at temple and he just seems like a right gem. I mean, drafting a longsnapper and making it a big deal is just godly ****.

Wan Fletch.

You just can't help but want Matt Rhule to succeed there. I've read so much about his time at temple and he just seems like a right gem. I mean, drafting a longsnapper and making it a big deal is just godly ****.

Wan Fletch.

I get it is a good feeling to get drafted but probably a bad thing at that stage for the player. As he said he was weighing up options as to where to go. A udfa can usually pick the best from a few training camps while now he has no choice and is just as likely to get cut. A weird one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Steelers draft was a bit iffy but I must say this punter they drafted in the 7th looks like a real character

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1388625146144071681?s=21

Christy42 wrote: »
    They really need to go over drafts a few years out to see how teams did. It would be interesting to see which teams consistently rock the draft but don't translate it into wins as well.

Having said that I think this is still a fun exercise to do.

There are basically very few teams who consistently do well in the draft - it is basically a gamble. Some have a better process so they don't have too many complete disasters but rarely nail it repeatedly. It is also tough because even if you draft great players, injury or coaching changes can mess up their development.

Examples of how inconsistent it can be are the likes of the Saints had a near historically good draft in 2017, followed by a complete disaster the following year. Licht with the Bucs, went from a run of poor drafts (culminating in the laughable draft of Hargreaves at pick 11 and trading up for a kicker in the 2nd) to a run of great drafts which led to their Super Bowl.

Advertisement