Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Brake Pads

Options
  • 29-01-2021 3:20pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Picked up a set of BBB Roadstop pads from my LBS today (Shimano 105 calipers). BBB seem to be their standard recommendation followed by Shimano (which they are having difficulties sourcing).

I had looked online yesterday and found that a lot of places had stuff for sale which was not actually in stock or if I found something, I'd look for reviews and found both positive and negative.

What pads are you using and where do you get them?
    Is there much of a difference (for everyday use and club spins) between standard pads e.g. Clarks and the performance (e.g. SwissStop Flash Pro)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Swiss Stop BXP Blue for me - my wheels are all alloy. Their performance is miles better than the BBB ones and also seem to last forever. I guess not being the lightest cyclist they have to work hard when I'm onboard ;-).

I've always bought them online.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash-pro-bxp-alloy-rim-brake-pads

I don't really care how much brake pads cost - to my mind they are worth every penny. Probably the single most important component on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Lifeline Blue for most of my carbon wheels but I found them lacking on my edco wheels so have switched to the campag red pads as these are what is stocked on the edco website. Will kmow in a few weeks if they are any better.
    For my alloy wheels its disco brakes alloy compound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

SwissStop Flash Pro, purple ones I think. The aluminium wet ones. Much better than the 105 pads I had. I found 105 pads didn't stop well in the wet, the SwissStop ones are night and day. I get them from CRC as my local shop doesn't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Swissstop all the way for me too.
    I use them on both my bikes, one alloy rims other carbon rims.
    I've tried the BBB pads in the past, nothing against them really, but I think The Swissstop just have noticeably better stopping power in all conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

+1 on the Swisstop BXP Blue.
    Used to have the Swisstop Green for a number of years and found them great but I think they were replaced by the Swisstop Blue as couldn't source them a few years ago so tried the Koolstop Salmon before then going back to Swisstop. Fairly pricey but worth having the best brakes you can commuting in all weathers and through the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Another vote for Swiss stop pads, always used them and no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

+1 on the BXPs. Incomparable to stock pads, effectively upgrades your brakes without upgrading your brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lissard wrote: »
    Swiss Stop BXP Blue for me.... ..... and also seem to last forever..
    I'd be a bit suspicious of long lasting pads. If the pad isn't wearing, the rim probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Swiss Stop GHP green for me on all my bikes.

Very high trust, reasonable wear. Did a bulk buy a few years ago so still have a few. Think they may have been replaced by BXPs now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Swissstop for me too. Much better braking feel and superior modulation. I find them gentle on rim wear - unlike the hard Shimano pads (105 5800 & Ultegra 6800) I've used previously that seem to tear away the aluminium at an alarming rate.

I was using the Flash Pro but currently using the BXP as I couldn't source Flash Pro anywhere when I was last purchasing. I usually get them online - Alltricks, CRC, Mantel - I usually add them to an order to bulk it up to get free shipping. I got the last set in CSS as I was burning off a One4All voucher.

As WA said, be suspicious of long wearing pads - something has to wear and if the pad isn't then the rim is probaby taking the hit.

I've a part worn set of Ultegra (6800) pads - with ample meat left - if anyone wants them to verify how quick they eat rim aluminium.

That said, it's important to clean flint, grit, sh1t from rims and pads after a wet weather ride - otherwise the best of pads will be like coarse sandpaper on the rims.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Spotting a trend here so ordered some Swisstops last night from CRC.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

which ones did you opt for?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Flash Pro BXP (blue) pads with holders plus a spare set of pads.

Flash Pro BXP (blue) pads with holders plus a spare set of pads.

You probably won't need the holders but no harm to have them. I'm still using the original holders on both bikes - the 105 brake pad holders on the winter/commuter have seen many pads in their +30,000kms.

What I would recommend is to use the original Shimano grub screws rather than the allen key type that come with the Swissstop pads. The Shimano ones use a philips screw head and are less likely to round out when it comes time to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I'm currently using Shimano Dura-ace. Picked up a heap of them on offer in Halfords a few weeks ago. I'd never even heard of Swisstop till now. Will investigate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A bit shocked at the price of the Swiss Stop BXPs until I spotted the price was for two pairs. Ended up ordering two lots of four to avoid having to pay postage. They better be as good as you guys say as I've been using cheep Disco pads for the last few years.

A bit shocked at the price of the Swiss Stop BXPs until I spotted the price was for two pairs. Ended up ordering two lots of four to avoid having to pay postage. They better be as good as you guys say as I've been using cheep Disco pads for the last few years.

I haven't used the Disco pads but I noticed a significant difference with Swissstop vs the Shimano pads.

I reckon you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A bit shocked at the price of the Swiss Stop BXPs until I spotted the price was for two pairs....
    You'd imagine their marketing department would be against that as it surely must be a deterrant to anyone who just gives it a cursory glance. Normally you get the opposite - item priced to look like a pair but price is 'each'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Something someone else mentioned that I forgot to, the modulation is another plus for SwissStop. A lot more control to your braking. They have a big impact for such a small upgrade.

SwissStop on offer on Alltricks - I just bought a set of Flash Pro for €15.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

crosstownk wrote: »
    SwissStop on offer on Alltricks - I just bought a set of Flash Pro for €15.99

Thanks for the nod on Alltricks, just bulked up on a few sets of BXPs before there's a run on them from here :pac:

Advertisement