Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why haven't Fine Gael dumped Leo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is an irrationally strange hatred of Leo on social media and even on Boards in the current affairs section.

It's bizarre. He doesn't even do anything great or anything bad in my opinion.

But people are obsessed with him that they spend their time 24/7 ranting and raving about him.

Like a weird scapegoat for people's lives.

Let's call a spade a spade.

Some people can't handle a gay man with Indian heritage being in charge of a purely Irish state, they think it somehow dilutes our Irish identity.

That is all over Twitter, and it spills in here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is an irrationally strange hatred of Leo on social media and even on Boards in the current affairs section.

But people are obsessed with him that they spend their time 24/7 ranting and raving about him.

Because he's not Gerry Adams, sorry, Mary Lou, or whichever king or queen gets proclaimed leader of SF next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

RobAMerc wrote: »
    this is so true. I hate this fact but really its becoming quite obvious folks here in Ireland actually have a real issue with Leo for these two reasons. I remember reading someone claiming here on boards the man isnt white ffs !

I would dearly love to think ireland is now mature enough to have a gay son of an immigrant as its head of government, but sadly I think he is there because he is the gay son of an immigrant, and that is something that modern Ireland is ramming down the throat of the 1970's ireland a lot of people still live in.

Yes, I would have to agree with most of this. Most Irish people wouldn't give damn about Leo and his background or his sexuality, but there are people who have a real problem with both, especially in the SF/Republican circle.

Many don't see him as Irish first and foremost, and him being gay has been used a few times from SF, even SF TD's in some ways to try and make some political point.

Remember, I hardly ever something remotely pertaining to a critique on policy, from these people and posters, it is always something personal, something he did, or tweeted, never about policy.

It does keep people angry I suppose, and anger can be useful politically especially in opposition, but as we have seen from SF TD's on Twitter and the 'secret' SF Facebook group, anger turns into outright abuse. Hard to reign it in, once you start poking that fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

IMHO, for many he’s an unlikeable politician because of his past actions and deeds. When FG were in opposition, he would pop up on whatever platform were willing to have him on and he would spout the usual contrarian and contradictory opinion that opposition TDs are supposed to.....even though the particular portfolio or brief had f**k all to do with him. It turned into a bit of a running joke tbh : education crisis get Leo on, housing issue, get Leo on, banking scandal, get Leo on etc etc. When he finally attained a position to do something about some of these “issues” he was totally unremarkable and found wanting ( what notable changes did he manage to make as minister for health??). You might think he was doing all that simply to raise his profile amongst the public with no real intention of actually doing anything about the issues he was constantly highlighting....

He also flip flopped on the issue of same sex marriage and really only came off the fence when he realized which way the wind was definitely blowing! And his “ not another red cent” proclamation about the bank bailouts will follow him to his last days in Irish politics for some. He’ll scuttle of to Europe someday, he’s ticked the Taoiseach box on his CV (as unremarkable as his tenure was), the Covid pandemic and Brexit were major events during it but let’s be honest apart from some truly cringeworthy pop culture references in his speeches and the fact that Coveney did most of the Brexit heavy lifting he didn’t do much as leader either.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Augme

He's been front of house for too long, Madigan is hovering in the shadows and ticks boxes like Varadkar

She's directed her bib too many times already to have a chance. The Maria Bailey incident would just be dug up again and no FGer wants that. Then comments like "normal people" are justing the icing in the cake. She is fairly toxic at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

He has shown he has no Integrity and will lie openly to cover his backside.

He would shaft anyone that's done the things he's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I rest my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I rest my case.

My dislike for him is very rational :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Bobtheman wrote: »
    FG had a disastrous election. They lost somewhere around 13 seats but Leo is still there. As leader.
    I appreciate he had a good crisis up to June but since then his performance and the Government's has been poor.
    Why has there been no mention of a heave? Lack of an alternative.

Because he's brown and ghay. He knows damn well they can't be seen to dump him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Good loser

I like Leo in general, wish he had a slightly harder edge at times. That's difficult in Irish politics. He was unlucky in the timing of the last election.
    Didn't FG subsequently reach about 34 % in the polls?; that would give FG 15 plus seats and return all the existing deputies. In these circumstances FG would be mad to dump him.
    If ever he goes there are two outstanding replacements in Simon and Paschal.
    With S Harris for another generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bobtheman wrote:
    FG had a disastrous election. They lost somewhere around 13 seats but Leo is still there. As leader. I appreciate he had a good crisis up to June but since then his performance and the Government's has been poor. Why has there been no mention of a heave? Lack of an alternative.

He appeals to many, but conservatism as a whole, is also in big trouble, I can't think of who might replace him, but I'm not a conservative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I personally think Fine Gael would do much better with Coveney as leader. He doesn't engage in all the pettiness and troll like stuff that Leo does. I think he's more likeable as a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

screamer wrote: »
    Never thought I’d say it, but I prefer Leo to me hole as Taoiseach. He’s to the point and clear, mightn’t like what he had to say but at least he says it. I would imagine he’s popular enough TBH within the party and I don’t see him being changed any time soon.

I sort of agree with this

When pressed would give a straight answer to a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

IMHO, for many he’s an unlikeable politician because of his past actions and deeds. When FG were in opposition, he would pop up on whatever platform were willing to have him on and he would spout the usual contrarian and contradictory opinion that opposition TDs are supposed to.....even though the particular portfolio or brief had f**k all to do with him. It turned into a bit of a running joke tbh : education crisis get Leo on, housing issue, get Leo on, banking scandal, get Leo on etc etc. When he finally attained a position to do something about some of these “issues” he was totally unremarkable and found wanting ( what notable changes did he manage to make as minister for health??). You might think he was doing all that simply to raise his profile amongst the public with no real intention of actually doing anything about the issues he was constantly highlighting....

He also flip flopped on the issue of same sex marriage and really only came off the fence when he realized which way the wind was definitely blowing! And his “ not another red cent” proclamation about the bank bailouts will follow him to his last days in Irish politics for some. He’ll scuttle of to Europe someday, he’s ticked the Taoiseach box on his CV (as unremarkable as his tenure was), the Covid pandemic and Brexit were major events during it but let’s be honest apart from some truly cringeworthy pop culture references in his speeches and the fact that Coveney did most of the Brexit heavy lifting he didn’t do much as leader either.....

he is a politician, thats what they do. just because you decide to subject him to more scrutiny than others doesnt mean he is any worse.

Cerveza wrote: »
    Others would want to be covering their backside.
    Because he's brown and ghay. He knows damn well they can't be seen to dump him.

thanks for proving me right folks.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

markodaly wrote: »
    Ah, but housing is under a FF remit now, so they will get the lump of the blame.
    FF were giving out mad from the sidelines last year, but now they are finding it all a bit tricky. Out of the two FG have had a much much better start to being in government, where FF are still fighting among themselves, thinking its still 2002 where they ruled the roost.

Anyway, Leo is still there because the parliamentary party wants him there.
    FG have been in power since 2011 and will end up being in power till about 2024/2025. Not a bad run to actually get things done, unlike other parties who prefer to shout from the sidelines.

As an aside, some people hate Leo for who and what he is, not what he does or his policies. Homophobic and xenophobic comments about him on social media are commonplace, and sure look at the amount of bandwidth people spend talking about him here on boards. Some people are genuinely obsessed with him

I think he is rather a boring individual. Occasionally he gets interesting when he takes truth serum but for the most part he comes across as a technocrat. You'd be hard pressed to name one radical policy to his name.
    As for him being gay. I really couldn't care less if he'd been married three times and had a cocaine habit - if he got things done. Unfortunately a lot of Joe public decides who to vote for based on media appearances. Look at Eamon Gilmore for Ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

He should stay away from social media and cut down on leaking stuff to the media

Because he's a GP I think he gets away with a lot of criticism

He should stay away from social media and cut down on leaking stuff to the media

Because he's a GP I think he gets away with a lot of criticism

is he really a gp, or is it just what his pieces of papers say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

RobAMerc wrote: »
    he is a politician, thats what they do. just because you decide to subject him to more scrutiny than others doesnt mean he is any worse.

Of course that's what politicians do but in his case it was much worse - his constant rush to make that killer soundbite or media appearance, to be first with the populist view. To show how "hip^ and "cool" he is and how he is in touch with the common worker and their plight all came across as hollow in the end as ultimately he did nothing to help or change anything he claimed to be in support of. All style, no substance.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    is he really a gp, or is it just what his pieces of papers say?

I never understood people who become Doctors but never act on it once they get their papers and go off and do whatever else but treat the sick. Same with that the radio presenter as well, I forget her name but she's a dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I never understood people who become Doctors but never act on it once they get their papers and go off and do whatever else but treat the sick. Same with that the radio presenter as well, I forget her name but she's a dose.

Many people change careers through their lives.

What's there not to understand??

• Advertisement

so you wouldnt understand me then, qualified to the gills with this that and the other thing, but doing virtually nothing to do with those pieces of papers

Well being a doctor is seen a vocation. How long it takes to become one, dedicating your life to treating the sick and trying to make them better. Its not like changing from a bar man to working in an laundrette.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Varadkar is from a wealthier than average background, clearly wouldn’t be a man with much understanding of rural Ireland or less well off people and he hates Sinn Fein passionately.
    I think these are the reasons a lot of people dislike him, don’t think it’s cos he’s gay or anything like that, almost no one cares about that nowadays.
    To a lot of people he’s just a bit out of touch and he wouldn’t have that Bertie man of the people thing.
    All that said he is quite popular with the population, a bit more so with women than men I’d say.
    The other leaders aren’t that popular, Mary Lou isn’t and Martin has been very disappointing as Taoiseach. Varadkar is the most popular person f the three at the moment so FG won’t want to dump him.

Well being a doctor is seen a vocation. How long it takes to become one, dedicating your life to treating the sick and trying to make them better. Its not like changing from a bar man to working in an laundrette.

maybe leo thinks he can help even more people by being a politician? a vocation? it looks like an impossible job to me, id have a major breakdown if i even attempted it at third level, let alone the actual job. all training and education is hard, no matter what it is

Varadkar is from a wealthier than average background, clearly wouldn’t be a man with much understanding of rural Ireland or less well off people and he hates Sinn Fein passionately.
    I think these are the reasons a lot of people dislike him, don’t think it’s cos he’s gay or anything like that, almost no one cares about that nowadays.
    To a lot of people he’s just a bit out of touch and he wouldn’t have that Bertie man of the people thing.
    All that said he is quite popular with the population, a bit more so with women than men I’d say.
    The other leaders aren’t that popular, Mary Lou isn’t and Martin has been very disappointing as Taoiseach. Varadkar is the most popular person f the three at the moment so FG won’t want to dump him.

jaysis!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

jaysis!

I know! But it brings you a long way in politics!

I know! But it brings you a long way in politics!

does it really? has bertie truly won over the people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭dh1985

does it really? has bertie truly won over the people?

Dont know about winning over the people. Definitely bent us over though

dh1985 wrote: »
    Dont know about winning over the people. Definitely bent us over though

ah, maybe thats what winning over the people is, im not sure i like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Leo perfectly embodies his party. FG are the party for people who think the country is doing just fine, usually because they themselves are doing just fine. They are classic conservatives.

He doesn't even try to hide his disregard for people struggling with the status quo. That's not particularly a criticism. If he made more of an effort it would be dishonest.

I can see Coveney bringing more electoral success because he has a better arseholery cloaking device.

What disappoints me in Irish politics is not Leo and FG, it's the lack of persuasive intellectual opposition.

Advertisement