Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pure, Digiweb or Nova?

• 29-01-2021 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭

I've multiple options as a first-time fibre user and am completely bamboozled as to who to pick. I've narrowed it down to Pure, Digiweb and Nova.
    Here are the prices I've been given:
    Digiweb (including phone)
    €39.46 for first 3 months
    €64.05 for remaining 9 months
    No activation fee

Nova (including phone)
    €61 per month
    Free installation

Pure Telecom (including phone)
    €35 for 12 months
    €55 thereafter
    ? installation

Anyone able to recommend which to go for? I'm in Cork City btw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I've multiple options as a first-time fibre user and am completely bamboozled as to who to pick. I've narrowed it down to Pure, Digiweb and Nova.
    Here are the prices I've been given:
    Digiweb (including phone)
    €39.46 for first 3 months
    €64.05 for remaining 9 months
    No activation fee

Nova (including phone)
    €61 per month
    Free installation

Pure Telecom (including phone)
    €35 for 12 months
    €55 thereafter
    ? installation

Anyone able to recommend which to go for? I'm in Cork City btw.

There'll all much of the same, you're dealing with an Irish company that is easy to get through to and they all set up appointments with SIRO. Hence I'd go with cheapest.
    PURE has free installation but check that it's still the case.
    You can move after 12 months.
    Ensure you ask that there are no usage limits. I know PURE and NOVA don't but Digiweb has a FUP but apparently doesn't penalise.
    At end of it all, they all give a fritzbox modem, I think they all use BT backhaul so price is king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

TheDriver wrote: »
    There'll all much of the same, you're dealing with an Irish company that is easy to get through to and they all set up appointments with SIRO. Hence I'd go with cheapest.
    PURE has free installation but check that it's still the case.
    You can move after 12 months.
    Ensure you ask that there are no usage limits. I know PURE and NOVA don't but Digiweb has a FUP but apparently doesn't penalise.
    At end of it all, they all give a fritzbox modem, I think they all use BT backhaul so price is king.
    Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jcmg73

I'm with pure got the 35 deal with phone and 500mb broadband.
    They are supplying old eir f2000 modems which are rebranded
    If u are going with pure then definitely get a different modem as I never got near the 500mbs with the f2000.
    I had to buy a better one which was an added cost but I'm really happy I did as getting 450-480mbs down and 45mbs up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

jcmg73 wrote: »
    I'm with pure got the 35 deal with phone and 500mb broadband.
    They are supplying old eir f2000 modems which are rebranded
    If u are going with pure then definitely get a different modem as I never got near the 500mbs with the f2000.
    I had to buy a better one which was an added cost but I'm really happy I did as getting 450-480mbs down and 45mbs up

I'm going to sign up with Pure tomorrow. Did you bridge the f2000 or can you take it out altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bonsai_73

Belfunk wrote: »
    I'm going to sign up with Pure tomorrow. Did you bridge the f2000 or can you take it out altogether?

I'm with Pure, just had it installed this month. I got a FritzBox from them. Not sure of it's specific to area, but they told me they don't do the 500mb anymore, so I had to sign up to the 1gb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jcmg73

Belfunk wrote: »

no didnt bridge it just hooked up another router to the ONT.
    just have to set the new router to take pure settings
    just gotta make sure that the new router is compatible with vlan

bonsai_73 wrote: »
    I'm with Pure, just had it installed this month. I got a FritzBox from them. Not sure of it's specific to area, but they told me they don't do the 500mb anymore, so I had to sign up to the 1gb.

Makes sense. I have a gig and I've never managed to run enough stuff that even touches 500. And even when I have a high load running, it's over in a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

bonsai_73 wrote: »

Today I was offered 500mb service from Pure so it's still available.

Is there much of a difference in everyday usage between 500mb and 1gb?

Can anyone say why is the SIRO connection better than EIR? I am thinking of switching to Pure Telecom but cannot get SIRO.

Don Imac2 wrote: »
    Today I was offered 500mb service from Pure so it's still available.

Is there much of a difference in everyday usage between 500mb and 1gb?

Can anyone say why is the SIRO connection better than EIR? I am thinking of switching to Pure Telecom but cannot get SIRO.

If its FTTH you shouldn't see a different SIRO vs EIR. If its a VDSL product, you might see a difference.

500vsgig? No difference, you'd want to be having a consistent heavy load. A home user doesn't need anything more than 200-300 in reality to stream a few 4k devices at same time etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

The Driver: Thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

Contacted Pure myself today and they told me the offer for me was the standard: 'cabinet unlimited broadband, with that is your line rental and unlimited broadband at €35 monthly on 12 month contract' (think its 100mb d/l)

Have to wait 2-3 weeks before they can get out to me though :(

Anyone know if other similarly priced providers are quicker to get out and setup?

st3veebee wrote: »
    Contacted Pure myself today and they told me the offer for me was the standard: 'cabinet unlimited broadband, with that is your line rental and unlimited broadband at €35 monthly on 12 month contract' (think its 100mb d/l)

Have to wait 2-3 weeks before they can get out to me though :(

Anyone know if other similarly priced providers are quicker to get out and setup?

Id go onto vodafone website and check your eircode, you may only get 30Meg download.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

TheDriver wrote: »
    Id go onto vodafone website and check your eircode, you may only get 30Meg download.

Just checked and apparently Vodafone don't supply broadband to Dublin 15, sigh

Pure also contacted me and said that 2-3 weeks is the minimum for ANY broadband supplier in the country as they all work with the same Technicians, which sucks as I need to work from home.

Anyone know any magic way around this? Are Pure just saying this or is it possible to get a quicker setup appointment

Advertisement