Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone History

• 29-01-2021 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭

For a bit of fun what is your phone history. What models and makes did you have?

Can't remember what I had before the ace (Samsung S8 missing from the picture)

Samsung Galaxy Ace- 2011
    IPhone 4S- 2012
    HTC One M9- 2015
    Samsung galaxy s8- 2017
    Samsung galaxy s10- 2019
    Samsung galaxy s21 Ultra-2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

PTH2009 wrote: »
    For a bit of fun what is your phone history. What models and makes did you have?

Can't remember what I had before the ace (Samsung S8 missing from the picture)

Samsung Galaxy Ace- 2011
    IPhone 4S- 2012
    HTC One M9- 2015
    Samsung galaxy s8- 2017
    Samsung galaxy s10- 2019
    Samsung galaxy s21 Ultra-2021
    galaxy s2
    HTC One
    Huawei Ascend g7
    Huawei gx8
    Xiaomi something 2. Huge phone
    Huawei Mate 10 Pro
    Realme x50 5g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Started with a S1 and every replacement model after that up to my current S20+! Had a Nokia N95 before the Samsung..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Truckermal wrote: »
    Started with a S1 and every replacement model after that up to my current S20+! Had a Nokia N95 before the Samsung..

N95 was when Nokia could make phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

N95 was when Nokia could make phones

I used to love the quirky Nokia phones. I had an N95, an Ngage, an an N97. The N97 was a great phone.

it_photo_143023.jpg

Weirdest phone i had was the 3650.

h8969.jpg

Well, I started with the Nokia 5110 and now am on the OnePlus 8 pro.
    I had the Nokia 6310! And got a car kit for it too. I was so happy lol
    The Motorola Razr was, hands down, the coolest-looking phone I have ever owned.
    I once had a HP Ipaq lol. That didn't last too long.
    I had a Samsung S2 which I loved
    I then moved and stayed with HTC right through to the HTC 11 which I still have in a drawer.
    HTC stopped making flagship phones so I decided to get the OnePlus 7 pro. I can't see myself leaving OnePlus for a few years.
    I am lucky in that I can get a new phone every year as a business expense. However I am sticking with the OnePlus 8 pro until next year and see if there is anything significant coming out next year.
    Phone tech seems to have plateaued. No big leaps forward at the high end.

What was hands down, your favourite phone you ever owned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Nokia 3310
    Nokia 5800 Xpress music
    HTC desire HD
    Jiayu S3
    One plus 3
    Nokia 7 plus
    Xiaomi Redmi note 9 pro

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Too many to count but my first phone was a Mitsubishi Trium. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Far, far too many to recount individually but from
    @1996 my 1st was an NEC P800 and my current is a Xiaomi Poco f2 pro.
    I've usually had 2 at a time and upgraded yearly over that time.
    Long time Nokia user up until the N95 and ngage taco, (and had some of their windows models too. Their AR and cameras still make me smile)
    My 1st iPhone was an iPhone 3gs.
    My 1st android was a HTC Desire.

The only big phone trend I didn't jump on, was blackberry.
    I only run 1 handset nowadays ;)

I used to post on Facebook everytime I got a new phone. It's great when those memories popup and you see the year and the phone you had bought.
    I forgot that I also had a windows phone at one point. Couldn't get used to it and sold it. That's when I think I got my HTC Desire.
    Did anyone get car kits installed with the older phones like to Nokia 6810i? I remember trying to justify it to my boss on health and safety grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Mostly Nokia symbian phones up to 2010. Think the last phone I had before I got going on Android was the Nokia e71 with the full physical keyboard.

HTC Desire (2010)
    Motorola Droid Razr (2011)
    Nexus 4 (2012)
    LG G2 (2013)
    Nokia Lumia 1520 (Feb - Sept 2014)
    Samsung galaxy note 4 (Oct 2014 - Oct 2015)
    LG G4 (Sept 2015 - Jan 2016)
    Sony Z5 (Feb 2016)
    Huawei Mate 8 (Feb - Oct 2016)
    Oneplus 3 (Sept 2016 - Oct 2017)
    Samsung S8+ (Oct 2017 - May 2018)
    LG v30 (May 2018 - Apr 2019)
    Huawei P30 Pro (Apr 2019 - Feb 2020)
    Samsung galaxy Note 10+ (Feb 2020 - present)

Low points were the droid razr which was purely style over substance, only phone I ever had which just wouldn't turn on one day. Motorola wouldn't honor warranty because I live in Ireland and bought it in England. I got rid of the Sony z5 after a few weeks, I remember it being laggy as hell and just all round poor.

Highlights would be Nexus 4 which was a game changer at the time. The Note 4 display felt revolutionary at the time. The LG v30 wide angle camera was pretty special, not many phones had them at the time. The Lumia 1520 was an amazing phone, sad that Windows Phone didn't work out but i eventually got rid of it due to the poor app ecosystem.

I feel like changing my Note 10+ but nothing is really jumping out at me right now, maybe s21 ultra when price comes down or the one plus 9

• Advertisement

@youcancallmeal.....please tell me how you know all the dates and models. I am very impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

@youcancallmeal.....please tell me how you know all the dates and models. I am very impressed!

A few months ago I was bored one day and decided to go back through my phone history. I don't have exact dates the further back I go as you can see. I have a summaries of my memories of each phone too but didn't include them as it would be far too much text

This has given me a walk down memory lane. I think my phone history is something like this:

Alcatel One Touch Easy
    Sharp GX10i
    Sony Ericsson P800
    Sony Ericsson P900
    HTC MDA Vario iii
    HTC Touch Pro
    HTC Hero
    Samsung Galaxy S
    HTC Desire HD
    HTC One X
    HTC One M7
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC M8
    HTC M9
    Samsung Note 4
    HTC 10
    Motorola Moto Z
    HTC U11
    Samsung Note 8
    Samsung Note 9
    Google Pixel 3a
    Google Pixel 5

I have had a few other phones as second phones/testing devices etc as well.

I'd say my favourite was the HTC M8. I was mad into Android modding back then, the development scene was booming, always loads of great ROMs to flash. Also loved the aluminium construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My first smartphone was a Samsung Omnia 7, one the first Windows phones with an oled screen. I was late to the smartphone thing.

Next my first android was a Samsung with a manual keyboard, like a blackberry, can't think of the model name.

Then

HTC Sensation
    LG G4
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    LG G5
    LG V20

That's it.

My favourite physical phone was the LG G4 with it's unusual leather back cover and my first phone with a great camera. It had a slightly curved screen so you could lay it screen side down without it getting scratched, and volume buttons on the back by the fingerprint reader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

AllForIt wrote: »
    My first smartphone was a Samsung Omnia 7, one the first Windows phones with an oled screen. I was late to the smartphone thing.

Next my first android was a Samsung with a manual keyboard, like a blackberry, can't think of the model name.

Then

HTC Sensation
    LG G4
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    LG G5
    LG V20

That's it.

My favourite physical phone was the LG G4 with it's unusual leather back cover and my first phone with a great camera. It had a slightly curved screen so you could lay it screen side down without it getting scratched, and volume buttons on the back by the fingerprint reader.

LG G4 had no finger print scanner. It might have been planned to have one (looks like it) but definitely never came with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Kirijoleth

Just like Basil3 I found going over past phones a fun trip down memory lane. I remember getting a second hand iPhone 3G to dip my virtual toe in the smartphone pool. I abosoutely hated it and after a month of frustration I went back to my Sony-Ericsson and gave the iPhone to my wife. She hated it too so I just gave it away to a friend to experiment with. I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but here's the list of the mobile phones I remember well:

Ericsson GA 318
    Nokia 6610
    Nokia 6210
    Nokia 8310
    Nokia 6610i
    Sony-Ericsson W580
    Apple iPhone 3G
    HTC One (M7)
    Oneplus 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Starting in 2001 or 2002, can't remember

Nokia 3310
    Siemens c45
    Sharp Gx10i > circa 2006/7 first phone with a camera but it was a pure potatoe
    Nokia 1101 (I think that was the name - very basic phone
    Nokia candybar phone with wifi - can't remember the model
    Samsung Galaxy S - late 2010. Pretty good with a gorgeous 4" display that people mocked me for how huge it was at the time.
    Sony Xperia Z -late 2013 thing had such sharp corners it made holes in jeans.
    LG G4 - loved this - felt amazing in the hand and had a great camera
    LG v30 - Cameras did not live up to the marketing hype at all.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9 2019 - only switched because I got a really good deal (300 euro new at a time when it was retailing for over 1000)

Next phone - tbd. Looking at S21 line, but also tempted to switch over to the darkside of Apple for a generation. If I am to switch, they need to go usb-c - I'm not changing all my cables/infrastructure for one gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

LG G4 had no finger print scanner. It might have been planned to have one (looks like it) but definitely never came with one.

You are right, it was the power button I was thinking of.

new-lg-g4-h815-memory-32gb-ram-3gb-cam-16mp-55-inch-4g-black.jpg

Advertisement