Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge Freezer turning off?

Options
  • 29-01-2021 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Eze

I bought a fridge freezer for my garage. It has twice defrosted in the last fortnight.
    Supplier said that if it drops below 5C in the garage that this will happen.

Anyone heard of this or how to overcome this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Trapeze wrote: »
    I bought a fridge freezer for my garage. It has twice defrosted in the last fortnight.
    Supplier said that if it drops below 5C in the garage that this will happen.

Anyone heard of this or how to overcome this problem?

Sounds like BS to me anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

10-10-20 wrote: »

Never knew this , is this just Beko or all brands can defrost like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,462 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Malcomex wrote: »
    Never knew this , is this just Beko or all brands can defrost like this?

It depends on the model, not the brand. Beko do models that are and are not suitable for a cold location. The OP in that thread had a problem with a Beko but other posters (posts #4 and #19) have bought Bekos which are working fine in an outbuilding.

I was alerted to this issue a couple of years ago when looking for a small chest freezer for the shed. A bullet in the list of specs on the Currys website said: 'Suitable for outbuildings'. Which implied that a lot of freezers are not suitable for a cold environment. You need to check this in the specs before buying.

If you check my last post (#18) in that thread, you'll see that I mentioned Nordmende (Power City) and Thor (DID) models which were explicitly stated to be not suitable for an unheated location.

Most Beko fridge/freeezers claim to operate at temperatures down to -15 C but not all of them.

This one says +5 C (last feature in 'Specifications') so it's clearly intended for installation in the kitchen only ...

https://www.beko.co.uk/fridge-freezer-ct5381ap-white

This one can operate down to -5 C so it might be ok in an unheated utility room but not a garage or shed....

https://www.beko.co.uk/integrated-frost-free-combi-fridge-freezer-harvestfresh-bcfdv3973

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Trapeze
    Eze

Another rep in shop said he'd heard of people putting a bulb on a thermostat near the fridge thermostat, but wasn't sure of the details.
    Anyone heard of such a work around?

Another rep in shop said he'd heard of people putting a bulb on a thermostat near the fridge thermostat, but wasn't sure of the details.
    Anyone heard of such a work around?

Wouldn't be much point tbh

If there's different models just get the model suitable for the lower temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

This happens when the fridge and freezer use a single thermostat in the fridge part. In low temperatures the fridge stays below 5 so the appliance stays off for days on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Trapeze
    Eze

Do you know of any workaround?
    I'm stuck with this because of a slight scratch while installing it.

Do you know of any workaround?
    I'm stuck with this because of a slight scratch while installing it.
    Off the top of my head

I'd prob look at enclosing it with Xtratherm and draught proof the area

Leaving plenty of space around like a small room and the freezer would be giving off heat to keep the temperature up

That's a wild guess of the top of my head so could get completely shot down on that one

• Advertisement

What's the actual design of the system that shuts down the freezer at 5 degrees

Seems bizarre to me but if it's completely separate to the rest of the freezer controls then maybe there's a solution with a stat and some type of low-energy radiant heat to raise the temperature at the freezer stat as a poster suggested

Certainly one to watch out for this , 5 degrees wouldn't be that unusual in an outbuilding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

What's the actual design of the system that shuts down the freezer at 5 degrees

On cheaper fridges the operation of the refrigerant circuit is controlled by a capillary tube, that causes a pressure drop from the high pressure side (the condenser outside the fridge) to the low side (the evaporator inside the fridge). If the outside temperature is too low, there isn't enough pressure to force the refrigerant through the capillary tube. So even though the thermostat might call for the refrigerant circuit to run, the system is incapable. Putting s small heater to keep the garage temp above 5C is probably the simplest solution

Borzoi wrote: »
    On cheaper fridges the operation of the refrigerant circuit is controlled by a capillary tube, that causes a pressure drop from the high pressure side (the condenser outside the fridge) to the low side (the evaporator inside the fridge). If the outside temperature is too low, there isn't enough pressure to force the refrigerant through the capillary tube. So even though the thermostat might call for the refrigerant circuit to run, the system is incapable. Putting s small heater to keep the garage temp above 5C is probably the simplest solution

Thanks ya

What about a passive solution like enclosing the freezer in a smaller insulated space?

Would that raise the ambient temperature enough

A tubular heater might be an option, if you don't want to make up a solution yourself from components. Look for one designed for frost protection.

But insulation might be a better option because if your garage is draughty, a heating solution could be ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Similar happened to my parents recently, have always had a fridge and freezer in garage but needed to replace one. It defrosted 3 times over a few weeks so they had a guy sent out to check.
    He advised the same with a lot of newer models that they will switch off in low temps.

We encased the sides, back and top with xtratherm (leaving a decent gap at the back) as suggested above and so far it's worked perfectly, it was done 2 weeks ago and we have had a few fairly cold nights since and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Thanks ya

What about a passive solution like enclosing the freezer in a smaller insulated space?

Would that raise the ambient temperature enough

Yes, but it will then probably overheat. Unless you remember to take off the insulation when the ambient rises ðŸ˜

Borzoi wrote: »
    Yes, but it will then probably overheat. Unless you remember to take off the insulation when the ambient rises ðŸ˜

I was considering that too if it was too close

Should be ok though if sized adequately imo?

Advertisement