Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,913 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Absolutely fabulous stuff from Gregory Campbell this evening.

You better sanction SF or people organising bonfires will not be peaceful and respectful this summer.

Those 'people' have not been peaceful nor respectful in almost 60 of my summers. :):)

Then asked if he would follow through on withdrawing support for the Policing Authority, he slinks away from that too.

Another Never Never Never march to the top of a hill and totter back down again, it seems.

You ignore the Alliance and SDLP contributions and default to the mirror image of Sinn Fein. Why amn't I surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,867 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    You ignore the Alliance and SDLP contributions and default to the mirror image of Sinn Fein. Why amn't I surprised?

It's only the DUP calling the police corrupt and looking to bring them and the PPS down, as far as I can see. That 'hill' blanch.

You never answered by the way, will you accept the outcome of the review?
    Gregory evaded that question too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

maccored wrote: »
    did the PIRA exist in 2007?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

downcow wrote: »
    Yes

In some heads and under some beds. For example, it's a Sinn Fein thread, not an IRA thread, yet here we are as usual.
    I would suggest anyone who doesn't like the IRA, not to vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

skimpydoo wrote: »

Difference is that the lads in this video are not elected representatives in my country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Difference is that the lads in this video are not elected representatives in my country
    Neither is Michelle O'Neill.

Thankfully, dancing on the graves of the dead is not something that is common n this country.

Many from both sides of the conflict have died, many who once seemed irredeemable and incapable of moving away from war/conflict and working for peace.

Constantly defending SF and their fellow travellers and constant use of the approved euphemisms like "conflict" to elide the behaviours they approved of and glorify to this day- glorification including the funeral parade in question- is imo worse than poor taste when trying to take the moral high ground about the dead and their graves.

Not everyone who died in the "conflict" has a grave, to dance on or otherwise.

Remedying that would be a nice gesture towards redemption. Until then let's have no more advice from the boards SF cohort about what might be common decency or etiquette around speaking ill of the dead (or anything else, to be frank).

SF and the DUP really are the two cheeks of a nasty NI arse. The two parties who couldn't even decide on the head of the Civil Service in NI, so went ahead and created two posts. Neither of whom will have any authority. Sad and depressing.

There's huge optimism though - the growth of the SDLP, the Alliance Party, the UUP finally getting some of their house in order and knowing their niche. Pity they ditched Nesbitt. There's a huge amount of young people who see themselves as authentically Northern Irish. Educated, erudite, and grew up with none of the hatred that defined the previous generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

Perhaps not. But Charlie Flanagan, Michael Ring etc all are, who were also pictured breaking restrictions to attend a funeral in mayo are representatives of this country, in which you presumably reside.
    Stop this nonsense about funerals, where they took place, and whether those in attendance were elected "in your country", it's blatantly obvious what your engaging in.
    It was WRONG for those in MAYO to break the restrictions..
    It was WRONG for those in BELFAST at the Sinn Fein funeral, and a UVF funeral.
    It's plain hipocrytical nonsense from you and others, using funerals, of all things to score points. new low.

Don't try coming back with state funeral nonsense either, the virus doesn't have the know how to determine whether it's a dead garda member, a dead paramilitary, or vera feckin lynn inside the coffin. nonsense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

SF and the DUP really are the two cheeks of a nasty NI arse. The two parties who couldn't even decide on the head of the Civil Service in NI, so went ahead and created two posts. Neither of whom will have any authority. Sad and depressing.

There's huge optimism though - the growth of the SDLP, the Alliance Party, the UUP finally getting some of their house in order and knowing their niche. Pity they ditched Nesbitt. There's a huge amount of young people who see themselves as authentically Northern Irish. Educated, erudite, and grew up with none of the hatred that defined the previous generations.

I agree with you on SF/DUP.....but the growth of SDLP and UUP?!

A quick look at their electoral record over the last 30 years should quickly put that notion to bed. They're both parties that absolutely collapsed, SDLP currently hold two seats from the latest Westminster election (bringing them back to 2/3 of the lofty highs of.....2015), UUP hold 0.

I'm not sure how close you keep your nose to the ground with NI politics, but UUP certainly couldn't be described as having found their niche; for years they've been flip flopping between trying to appeal to middle class Unionist voters and then panicking and trying to out-Loyalist the DUP. While the SDLP have at least shown green shoots of regaining some lost ground, describing the UUP as knowing their niche is unbelievably naive.

I had plenty of time for Mike Nesbitt, but ditching him was a short-sighted move that perfectly demonstrated that UUP weren't ready to step away from Us vs Them type of approach to politics in NI, so I'm not sure why you're trying to put them on a pedestal beside genuinely non Green/Orange aligned parties such as APNI.

Northern Ireland was a bigoted sectarian pit before the DUP or SF appeared on the scene.

If you think hard enough about it you may be able to work out why that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Northern Ireland was a bigoted sectarian pit before the DUP or SF appeared on the scene.

If you think hard enough about it you may be able to work out why that was.

I would never think too hard about it Francie, Soz lad.

Basket case..

I would never think too hard about it Francie, Soz lad.

Basket case..

Failed state is the term you are looking for Brendan. And an abnormal partition is the reason and always will be.

Constantly defending SF and their fellow travellers and constant use of the approved euphemisms like "conflict" to elide the behaviours they approved of and glorify to this day- glorification including the funeral parade in question- is imo worse than poor taste when trying to take the moral high ground about the dead and their graves.

Not everyone who died in the "conflict" has a grave, to dance on or otherwise.

Remedying that would be a nice gesture towards redemption. Until then let's have no more advice from the boards SF cohort about what might be common decency or etiquette around speaking ill of the dead (or anything else, to be frank).

I criticised SF from the get go for the funeral.

The use of selective victims here is something to be ashamed of IMO and no amount of excusing it will change that sadly. And I for one will continue to call it out without fear or favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

downcow wrote: »
    Yes

please stop spreading lies

July 28, 2005: The IRA formally announces an end to its 36-year armed campaign. "All IRA units have been ordered to dump arms,” the group says in a statement. “All volunteers have been instructed to assist the development of purely political and democratic programs through exclusively peaceful means. Volunteers must not engage in any other activities whatsoever."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0402/1207599-uup-psni-byrne/

Well, well, well. Now we have the UUP joining the calls for the Chief Constable to resign.

Gerry Kelly must also consider his position as a member of the Policing Board.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0402/1207599-uup-psni-byrne/

Well, well, well. Now we have the UUP joining the calls for the Chief Constable to resign.

Gerry Kelly must also consider his position as a member of the Policing Board.

He didn't impress on Nolan this AM. Poor old Steve is not a leader, he's a follower and generally late to the party.

https://twitter.com/AllisonMorris1/status/1377902185900601344

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

I criticised SF from the get go for the funeral.

The use of selective victims here is something to be ashamed of IMO and no amount of excusing it will change that sadly. And I for one will continue to call it out without fear or favour.

Selective is this case means selected because of the harmlessness of this victim of the ira and the fact that sf and ira members persistently hide the body of their victim and the truth of their murder for no good reason , of or there is a reason id love to hear it

Sf and the ira seemingly know who killed Paul Quinn too but refuse to cooperate

Ditto Robert McCartney among others ,

as im sure you know this will taint them politically for a long time yet

Selective is this case means selected because of the harmlessness of this victim of the ira and the fact that sf and ira members persistently hide the body of their victim and the truth of their murder for no good reason , of or there is a reason id love to hear it

Sf and the ira seemingly know who killed Paul Quinn too but refuse to cooperate

Ditto Robert McCartney among others ,

as im sure you know this will taint them politically for a long time yet

There are many many unsolved killings, but the folk here are only interested in selective ones, t score political points and it is shameful.

• Advertisement

There are many many unsolved killings, but the folk here are only interested in selective ones, t score political points and it is shameful.

I explained to you very clearly why that particular murder is often selected

you don't think it right that sf should be confronted by their crimes ?

I explained to you very clearly why that particular murder is often selected

you don't think it right that sf should be confronted by their crimes ?

You've convicted 'SF'? Very good.

You've convicted 'SF'? Very good.

thanks

you are trying to excuse them their crimes

thanks

you are trying to excuse them their crimes

What 'crimes' have SF committed and if a random poster on boards.ie has the info, how come the Gardai and PSNI have done nothing?

He didn't impress on Nolan this AM. Poor old Steve is not a leader, he's a follower and generally late to the party.

https://twitter.com/AllisonMorris1/status/1377902185900601344

Allison Morris, so you agree with her tweets???

How about this one?

"PS added that “lack of clarity and coherence within the regulations and the prior engagement between the organisers and police - would pose insurmountable difficulty if any of the reported individuals were prosecuted"

See the piece in bold.

Says the great neutral himself eh

Allison Morris, so you agree with her tweets???

How about this one?

"PS added that “lack of clarity and coherence within the regulations and the prior engagement between the organisers and police - would pose insurmountable difficulty if any of the reported individuals were prosecuted"

See the piece in bold.

What am I agreeing with?

By the way, the idea that because you agree with one thing someone says means you agree with everything they say, is bizarre.

Doing a bit of reading about SF this evening. Denis Donaldson was murdered in Donegal in 2006. In 2016, a man in his 40's was arrested on suspicion of being involved in his murder. Is that man now a TD? Don't know; just asking the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

True there are many unsolved murders.

Not all of them relate to current elected representatives whose wages we pay or who present themselves as an alternative government though. This is the Sinn Fein thread, items with Sinn Fein involvement get discussed here.

• Advertisement

True there are many unsolved murders.

Not all of them relate to current elected representatives whose wages we pay or who present themselves as an alternative government though. This is the Sinn Fein thread, items with Sinn Fein involvement get discussed here.

'Current elected reps' are related to killings that took place 50 years ago, before some of them were born?

Advertisement