Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,853 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Conor Murphy knows a lot more about this murder than he is telling people - he is protecting his old comrades. I think thats enough for people to make a judgement on the man.

Can you link to any official source that says he is withholding information - which is a crime.

The PSNI and IMC know how this killing was carried out in graphic detail and who was there btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Who has said in the PSNI or Gardai what 'information' he has given? Links please?

'Withholding information' is a chargeable offence, if he is withholding information WHY hasn't he been charged.
    In short - is this trial by internet again? Murphy nor anyone else is not duty bound to reveal info just to satisfy boardsies or the general public.

Here you go

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/who-was-paul-quinn-and-why-has-his-murder-become-an-election-issue-1.4162636
    Breege Quinn said Murphy must apologise for his comments on national TV and that he should also go to the PSNI and the Garda and give the names of the IRA people in Cullyhanna that she believes are behind the killing.

On Wednesday afternoon, Sinn Féin issued a statement in which Murphy said he “very much” regrets the remarks and he withdrew them “unreservedly”. Murphy also repeated the apology on RTÉ television but declined to explain what information he had received from the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

I see SF supporters are going after Stephen Nolan for flaming sectarian tensions. I wonder will they go after some of their own TDS for the up the RA, Toicfaidh ar la comments........

The Irish Times is many things but it isn't an 'official source'.

If Murphy is withholding information vital to the prosecution he can be charged with an offence.

He hasn't, which tells this democrat everything I need to know about the usefulness (to the PSNI or DPP) of whatever info he has.

piplip87 wrote: »
    I see SF supporters are going after Stephen Nolan for flaming sectarian tensions. I wonder will they go after some of their own TDS for the up the RA, Toicfaidh ar la comments........

There are more than SF supporters going after him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Insignificant? Well I think it's important to remember that Conor Murphy will not name the IRA members he talked to about the abduction, torture, and murder of Paul Quinn. His hands were so badly mutilated that his family couldn't put rosary beads in them.

This isn't ancient history. Conor Murphy is currently an MLA in Sinn Fein and asked his buddies in the IRA (Murphy was formerly a member) about information relating to Paul Quinn's torture and murder. Murphy has assured us that the IRA had nothing to do with it and that Quinn was a criminal who got what was coming to him. He will not disclose any additional information. Though eventually pressured into withdrawing his statement saying that Paul Quinn was a criminal, he still refuses to name the IRA members he talked to about the murder.

That was a cross-border abduction and murder by a group of 8-10 people, from a republican area, which the victim's family firmly believe was related to the IRA. I think it is important to remember that Murphy says that the IRA are not guilty. Some people won't find it important though.

Great, and how do you think that taking pops and misrepresenting a total non-story based on a twitter post asking Revolut why they're asking questions about pre-teebs helps to shine a light on that?

Or vague finger pointing that something shifty is going on because one of their Social Media accounts has someone Irish living outside of Ireland helping with it, along with vague, 'just asking questions' insinuations without any actual evidence of wrongdoing in that case will help to bring the perpetrators of the Paul Murphy incident to account?

What about completely baseless accusations that SF supporters are, 'going after Stephen Nolan, when the issue trending regarding Nolan's overuse of Jim Allister as a guest comes from someone with absolutely zero connection to SF.....I don't see the benefit there either.

If I was seeking justice for Paul Quinn, I'd rather keep that front and centre of the discussion rather than running wild down any thread no matter how nonsensical, so long as I could take any sort of dig at SF.....In fact I'd be quite annoyed that such insignificant twaddle was distracting from the real issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Who has said in the PSNI or Gardai what 'information' he has given? Links please?

'Withholding information' is a chargeable offence, if he is withholding information WHY hasn't he been charged.
    In short - is this trial by internet again? Murphy nor anyone else is not duty bound to reveal info just to satisfy boardsies or the general public.

Again, the independent monitoring body set up by the two sovereign governments have very clearly said the 'IRA' was not involved. How come they are not in the dock too?

We have been through this nonsense before.

We know that Conor Murphy has been withholding evidence, however, until it can be proven what evidence in particular he withheld, no charges can be brought. That is why it is so difficult to bring charges under this legislation.

The dogs in the street know that Murphy is withholding evidence, but just because that isn't sufficient to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, doesn't stop anyone from holding the reasonable opinion, based on available evidence, that Conor Murphy is either afraid of being called a tout by the PIRA or is callously unconcerned about Paul Quinn's family. Either doesn't leave him in a good light.

Again, the independent monitoring body set up by the two sovereign governments have very clearly said the 'IRA' was not involved. How come they are not in the dock too?

We have been through this nonsense before.

We know that Conor Murphy has been withholding evidence, however, until it can be proven what evidence in particular he withheld, no charges can be brought. That is why it is so difficult to bring charges under this legislation.

The dogs in the street know that Murphy is withholding evidence, but just because that isn't sufficient to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, doesn't stop anyone from holding the reasonable opinion, based on available evidence, that Conor Murphy is either afraid of being called a tout by the PIRA or is callously unconcerned about Paul Quinn's family. Either doesn't leave him in a good light.

As for the IMC.....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/independent-agency-says-ira-members-involved-in-paul-quinns-murder-38929663.html

"An independent agency tasked with monitoring paramilitary activity in Northern Ireland found that Paul Quinn was murdered by members of the Provisional IRA."

Nor former members, but members. End of.

If Murphy is withholding information vital to the prosecution he can be charged with an offence.

He hasn't, which tells this democrat everything I need to know about the usefulness (to the PSNI or DPP) of whatever info he has.

A democrat?

The Assembly censured Michelle O'Neill and Conor Murphy, yet they refuse to resign. As a democrat, what do you think of them rejecting the democratic will of the Assembly?

Would you stand over a Government Minister in the South refusing to resign in similar circumstances? Or would you accept that once a parliament has voted confidence in a Minister over a particular action, the democratic will should be accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

You are just trying to distract when the real issue is that Murphy has information gleaned from his buddies in the IRA that he refuses to disclose to Quinn's family, the police, or the public at large.
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Great, and how do you think that taking pops and misrepresenting a total non-story based on a twitter post asking Revolut why they're asking questions about pre-teebs helps to shine a light on that?

Sorry I hadn't actually seen the specific thing you'd replied to. You're right. Focusing on nonsense is actually more useful to SF than anything else; they can claim to be subject to a witch hunt (over things that are themselves quite trivial). When the accusations are inaccurate it undermines genuine criticism.

• Advertisement

You are just trying to distract when the real issue is that Murphy has information gleaned from his buddies in the IRA that he refuses to disclose to Quinn's family, the police, or the public at large.

Sorry I hadn't actually seen the specific thing you'd replied to. You're right. Focusing on nonsense is actually more useful to SF than anything else; they can claim to be subject to a witch hunt (over things that are themselves quite trivial). When the accusations are inaccurate it undermines genuine criticism.

The nonsense over Nolan is silly stuff generated to distract from serious issues.

There are serious questions over Conor Murphy and the IRA, the backhanded funding of SF by FOSF, the actions of the PSNI in relation to the Storey funeral etc. These should be kept front and centre.

It is chilling to think that senior members of a political party with eyes for Government have information on the savage torture and murder of a young citizen of this country. A young man who got on the wrong side of the PIRA heavies operating up at the border, and had every bone in his body below his neck broken during his torture in a shed. The brutality of that.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2007/11/12/we-cannot-allow-this-to-be-brushed-under-the-carpet/

#notanormalparty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

It is chilling to think that senior members of a political party with eyes for Government have information on the savage torture and murder of a young citizen of this country. A young man who got on the wrong side of the PIRA heavies operating up at the border, and had every bone in his body below his neck broken during his torture in a shed. The brutality of that.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2007/11/12/we-cannot-allow-this-to-be-brushed-under-the-carpet/

#notanormalparty

if it was a one off it would be disgusting behaviour but its not

its just one of multiple cases.

and the sf tactic to deal with the matter is and always has been to slander and smear the victims and demean and attack their family's using anonymous online trolls paid by god knows who and based god knows where.

#notanormalparty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I see SF are supporting the unions and calling for teachers to receive the vaccination ahead of the most vulnerable.

Is there any bandwagon they won't jump on?

I see SF are supporting the unions and calling for teachers to receive the vaccination ahead of the most vulnerable.

Not capturing the public mood on that one I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

Not capturing the public mood on that one I’m afraid.

The sheep will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Did anyone listen to the SF education spokesperson on the radio earlier?

Talking with forked tongues. They support NIAC and the new science age-based approach to vaccines BUT they also want the old system as well..... classic SF... ask for butter and salt.

SF have made a huge error here and they should be roasted for their populist messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Sinn Fein have been all in favour of following the scientific advice during the pandemic. Unless of course there's a republican funeral-cum-rally to attend or it's a choice between science and populism.

They may actually have misjudged the popular mood on this one but they'll still be happy to have curried favour in with the teachers' unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

rdwight wrote: »
    Sinn Fein have been all in favour of following the scientific advice during the pandemic. Unless of course there's a republican funeral-cum-rally to attend or it's a choice between science and populism.

They may actually have misjudged the popular mood on this one but they'll still be happy to have curried favour in with the teachers' unions.

Why haven't they lobbied for it to be done like this up North they really can't help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

markodaly wrote: »
    Did anyone listen to the SF education spokesperson on the radio earlier?

Talking with forked tongues. They support NIAC and the new science age-based approach to vaccines BUT they also want the old system as well..... classic SF... ask for butter and salt.

SF have made a huge error here and they should be roasted for their populist messaging.

Do you think the Gardai should be vaccinated as a unit working on the front line?

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Do you think the Gardai should be vaccinated as a unit working on the front line?

I wonder what sf stance on vaccinations for Gardai is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Breege Quinn said Murphy must apologise for his comments on national TV and that he should also go to the PSNI and the Garda and give the names of the IRA people in Cullyhanna that she believes are behind the killing.

On Wednesday afternoon, Sinn Féin issued a statement in which Murphy said he “very much” regrets the remarks and he withdrew them “unreservedly”. Murphy also repeated the apology on RTÉ television but declined to explain what information he had received from the IRA.

he should go to the guards and report the people someone else thinks done it. yeah - really makes sense that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

If the teachers do go on strike later in the year we can expect Mary Lou and co to be front and centre on the picket lines.

Just like they were during the last nurses' strike here. When the nurses in the North went on strike soon afterwards, Sinn Fein were conspicuous in their lack of support for them.

Distract?

I asked you to back up what you said from official sources - you posted an article from Irish Times.

I'm a democrat, I don't go into routine frenzies on the basis of allegations.

IF Murphy is withholding information then he should have been charged with that. He hasn't.

#notanormalparty

Everyone in the community here knows who did it, how it was done etc,

Is the info any good evidentially...clearly not, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

I wonder what sf stance on vaccinations for Gardai is?

Its really laughable at this stage people asking for SF Stance on Gardaí Vaccinations … We have 3 Political parties running the country at the moment
    who have made a complete [EMAIL="B@llix"]B@llix[/EMAIL] of Vaccination roll out promising certain sections would be prioritized and then changing there minds .. We or the Media at least should be addressing these questions to them.

Personally I think the Gardaí should be high on list of Vaccinations.. what is your stance Wicklowstevo

afro man wrote: »
    Its really laughable at this stage people asking for SF Stance on Gardaí Vaccinations … We have 3 Political parties running the country at the moment
    who have made a complete [EMAIL="B@llix"]B@llix[/EMAIL] of Vaccination roll out promising certain sections would be prioritized and then changing there minds .. We or the Media at least should be addressing these questions to them.

Personally I think the Gardaí should be high on list of Vaccinations.. what is your stance Wicklowstevo

I agree with you afroman ,

the point clearly was made as sf are very vocal on there stance with the teachers and nurses .

as the gardai are former targets of the party its a relevant and interesting stance imo

maccored wrote: »
    he should go to the guards and report the people someone else thinks done it. yeah - really makes sense that does.

"but declined to explain what information he had received from the IRA"

this is the relevant part of the quote I think you ll find

"but declined to explain what information he had received from the IRA"

this is the relevant part of the quote I think you ll find

He is under no onus to reveal that info to the general public or to journalists.

All sorts of issues doing that, not least the possibility of it being inaccurate or jeopardizing a case.

Again, if he is witholding vital information or obstructing then I would expect him to be charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Non stop bandwagon......anything that seems to be against the government.

Advertisement