Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Absolutely agree. Which is why I said there may be GDPR issues with this, from the get go.

Let us know how you get on. Be careful of the unmarked grave though! :)

Call me overconfident, but I suspect I'll be just fine on that front haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Military precision, you could say

why? you dont need 'military precision' to be organised

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can you explain what you mean here please? When you say you can request 'that information', what are you referring to? The information that is held by SF about an individual? Or the information that is held by the state on an individual? Those would be quite different things but I have possibly misinterpreted your point.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2019-07/190710%20Data%20Protection%20Basics.pdf

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Call me overconfident, but I suspect I'll be just fine on that front haha

Hopefully some journalist will do it for all political parties, would be interesting.

A FF TD here, once told me...early 80's that he could tell who voted FF in every street in the town from his tally/data crunchers work.
    Easier back then in the hey day of the power swap, but they all compile data like this I always assumed anyway.

Can you explain what you mean here please? When you say you can request 'that information', what are you referring to? The information that is held by SF about an individual? Or the information that is held by the state on an individual? Those would be quite different things but I have possibly misinterpreted your point.

SF dont technically hold GDPR related data on people as far as electioneering - they'll have whatever the reg of electors has. after that its a matter of using a colour to say if they are usually not interested, generally interested or are already a SF supporter. AFAIK theres no mention of the persons name unless its already in the register. if its publicly available in the register then its not covered by GDPR I would assume

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    SF dont technically hold GDPR related data on people as far as electioneering - they'll have whatever the reg of electors has. after that its a matter of using a colour to say if they are usually not interested, generally interested or are already a SF supporter. AFAIK theres no mention of the persons name unless its already in the register. if its publicly available in the register then its not covered by GDPR I would assume

If they hold any information that could be considered my personal data on a database of their own, it would be covered by GDPR. They're allowed to access the information on the electoral register, they're not allowed to export that to their own database. Once they move it onto their own system, they become Data Controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Thank for the generalised link. Can you explain what you meant by "that information" and to whom the suggested request applies?

Based on the link you have posted, is it your understanding that it is legal to compile a database containing information on peoples political beliefs and affiliations without their knowledge. The nature of the information held on the SF secret database needs to be clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, you can make a data protection request of any company or individual that is a data processor.

However, an organisation should get your permission before processing any data about you. This is where Sinn Fein are likely to be in trouble.

Holding information on political affiliations or beliefs, is that legal? Even if it is colour coded?

Hopefully some journalist will do it for all political parties, would be interesting.

A FF TD here, once told me...early 80's that he could tell who voted FF in every street in the town from his tally/data crunchers work.
    Easier back then in the hey day of the power swap, but they all compile data like this I always assumed anyway.

It is the online centralised database that creates a unique new problem for Sinn Fein. Keeping a paper copy of the register and ticking it off is one thing, creating a whole electronic database on every voter in the country is another. The scale of the GDPR issues are hugely different.

• Advertisement

Thank for the generalised link. Can you explain what you meant by "that information" and to whom the suggested request applies?

Based on the link you have posted, is it your understanding that it is legal to compile a database containing information on peoples political beliefs and affiliations without their knowledge. The nature of the information held on the SF secret database needs to be clarified.

Which bit of my stated postion from the get go - there may be GDPR issues here - did you have trouble with?

If there are GDPR abuses here then SF will be reprimanded and made delete the info and possibly be penalised.

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1381903146155446275?s=20

Complete with SF fans firing abuse at a journalist in the replies.

Abuse?

What qualifies as abuse these days? Does the 'Scum Fein' tweet there not trump everything else said?

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is the online centralised database that creates a unique new problem for Sinn Fein. Keeping a paper copy of the register and ticking it off is one thing, creating a whole electronic database on every voter in the country is another. The scale of the GDPR issues are hugely different.

The aforementioned example would not be considered any different in modern times whether a paper or digital record was kept; personal data is personal data. The obvious (and really only) difference is that GDPR legislation didn't exist during the 80s and any DPR would've been much less far reaching and of less interest to the general public even when relevant.

As one of the tweeters on Leo's biographer's tweet says, '3 times trying to make a story of this', you would wonder why other parties aren't piling in on this 'story'.

Holding information on political affiliations or beliefs, is that legal? Even if it is colour coded?

https://www.sinnfein.ie/privacy

Here is the Sinn Fein Data Protection Notice from their website.

"Sinn Féin does not collect any unique information about you (such as your name, email address, etc.) except when you knowingly choose to provide such information as in the case of the Join or support Sinn Féin forms"

I would expect some serious questions heading their way from the DPC because that is obviously a lie.

Which bit of my stated postion from the get go - there may be GDPR issues here - did you have trouble with?

If there are GDPR abuses here then SF will be reprimanded and made delete the info and possibly be penalised.

Is your suggestion is that one should contact SF data controllers to ascertain what personal information they may be holding on their database?

Have you seen the database? How do you know about the colour coding system?

Is your suggestion is that one should contact SF data controllers to ascertain what personal information they may be holding on their database?

If you are concerned, yes.

I wonder do SF have a mole in their ranks?

• Advertisement

If you are concerned, yes.

Thank you for clarifying. The position is:
    It is my responsibility as a private citizen to ensure a political entity is not covertly and illegally collecting personal information on me.
    Wow.

I am wondering now, if I do contact SF with such a query, how will they colour code that in their database?
    Black, I'd imagine

Does anyone have a contact for the SF database administrator? I need to check something.

Thank you for clarifying. The position is:
    It is my responsibility as a private citizen to ensure a political entity is not covertly and illegally collecting personal information on me.
    Wow.

I am wondering now, if I do contact SF with such a query, how will they colour code that in their database?
    Black, I'd imagine

In respect of your private concerns, yes it is your responsibility. You'll fnd the legislation is there to back and protect you on this. You can request information held from any organisation the legislation covers.

The legislation empowers oversight organisations on the 'general' holding of information. Like SIPO etc.

Does anyone have a contact for the SF database administrator? I need to check something.

From the Sinn Fein privacy notice. They are probably checking my IP address, and sending round the men in balaclavas as we speak. Will keep an eye out the window for unmarked vans.

"If you have any queries or complaints in connection with our processing of your personal data, you can get in touch with us using the following contact details:

Post: Data Protection Compliant Officer, Sinn Féin, 44 Parnell Sq., Dublin 1

E-Mail: dataprotection@sinnfein.ie

You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commission if you are unhappy with our processing of your personal data. Details of how to lodge a complaint can be found on the dataprotection.ie website, or you can call the Data Protection Commission on 1890 252 231"

The legislation empowers oversight organisations on the 'general' holding of information. Like SIPO etc.

Explain, that sentence appears to be missing words or something.

Explain, that sentence appears to be missing words or something.

Not to me it isn't.

In general, there are bodies with oversight powers on GDPR.

If you have 'private' concerns you are backed by law to satisfy yourself that nothing illegal is being held or done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

How do you know they are SF fans? Philip Ryan is the biographer of Leo and maybe he has an agenda.

Not to me it isn't.

In general, there are bodies with oversight powers on GDPR.

If you have 'private' concerns you are backed by law to satisfy yourself that nothing illegal is being held or done

Oh, ok, I understand now, it is ok for Sinn Fein to run a cart and horses through GDPR so long as nobody rats on them.

Have you seen the database? How do you know about the colour coding system?

because SF have been using that system for decades when planning elections. All parties have access to the electoral database. the only thing SF add are the colours (well at least they did back when I was helping out in elections). If its the same system then this is a big stupid no story.

• Advertisement

Oh, ok, I understand now, it is ok for Sinn Fein to run a cart and horses through GDPR so long as nobody rats on them.

Who said that?

See what I have said from the get go, on this.

Advertisement