Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

maccored wrote: »
    because SF have been using that system for decades when planning elections. All parties have access to the electoral database. the only thing SF add are the colours (well at least they did back when I was helping out in elections). If its the same system then this is a big stupid no story.

Can you explain how they choose the colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

In 2014 Ecanvasser boasted "we now have over one million constituents registered on our system. this means that 22%, or slightly over one in five Irish citizens, is attached to a canvasser account on our system as a registered occupant. http://press.vconnecta.com/ecanvasser-in-the-2014-local-elections-some-key-stats/

2015 Ecanvasser - a mobile-phone-based system that enables canvassers to hook up with voters During the last local elections we had 146 users 2015 https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/vote-early-vote-often-and-now-vote-easier-30953478.html

https://twitter.com/lostexpectation/status/1381982983045976067

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Can you explain how they choose the colours?

no idea - what are the colours? I cant really remember but I think it green for supporter and blue for lukewarm (that'd be the most logical choice anyway). they werent concerned with people who's vote they'd never get.

The made up drama and mystery with you lads is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In 2014 Ecanvasser boasted "we now have over one million constituents registered on our system. this means that 22%, or slightly over one in five Irish citizens, is attached to a canvasser account on our system as a registered occupant. http://press.vconnecta.com/ecanvasser-in-the-2014-local-elections-some-key-stats/

2015 Ecanvasser - a mobile-phone-based system that enables canvassers to hook up with voters During the last local elections we had 146 users 2015 https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/vote-early-vote-often-and-now-vote-easier-30953478.html

And this is relevant how?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Presumably when they refer to constituents registering, they are doing so with the permission of those registered and having disclosed the purpose of holding this information, which would be GDPR compliant?

Holding data isn't inherently a GDPR breach, lots of companies have to do it for lots of reasons. The question surrounds what data SF are holding and whether they had permission to migrate that data to their own database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

https://twitter.com/davidcullinane/status/1381654304612843520

David Cullinane demanding revised schedule before yesterday's announcement on Astra Zeneca. Taking hurliing on the ditch to a new level: like pucking up and down the sideline before the game even begins.

I presume he'll want the HSE to have coped with J & J delays by tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

rdwight wrote: »

David Cullinane demanding revised schedule before yesterday's announcement on Astra Zeneca. Taking hurliing on the ditch to a new level: like pucking up and down the sideline before the game even begins.

I presume he'll want the HSE to have coped with J & J delays by tomorrow morning.

Par for the course RD.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Politician in making political capital shocker is what that amounts to.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Politician in making political capital shocker is what that amounts to.

Sinn Fein playing politics with pandemic that's killed nearly 7,000 people on this island shocker.

I suppose we should be grateful Sinn Fein are accepting that NIAC's advice makes this a "public health call". Not the line they took when NIAC recommended that vaccinating based on age was the speediest and most efficacious way to do things. But then again, they thought they had political capital to make then too.

Sinn Fein playing politics with pandemic that's killed nearly 7,000 people on this island shocker.

I suppose we should be grateful Sinn Fein are accepting that NIAC's advice makes this a "public health call". Not the line they took when NIAC recommended that vaccinating based on age was the speediest and most efficacious way to do things. But then again, they thought they had political capital to make then too.

Spare me the emotional 'in the middle of a pandemic' stuff please. Plenty of examples of political capital being made out of it on all sides.
    Why you think a political party will not do this is odd.

• Advertisement

Spare me the emotional 'in the middle of a pandemic' stuff please. Plenty of examples of political capital being made out of it on all sides.
    Why you think a political party will not do this is odd.

Nothing worse than a hurler on the ditch moaning and complaining, especially when he was unable to take his place on the pitch a year ago and chickened out.

This is a bit of a nothingburger in fairness.

I don't live in DNW, but you can imagine you wouldn't like Dessie Ellis and two 'party activists' turning up at your door as you're about to watch Nationwide looking for you to sign up to the party just because you once liked a post that Pearse 'Shouting is Leadership' Doherty made about insurance reform.

I don't live in DNW, but you can imagine you wouldn't like Dessie Ellis and two 'party activists' turning up at your door as you're about to watch Nationwide looking for you to sign up to the party just because you once liked a post that Pearse 'Shouting is Leadership' Doherty made about insurance reform.

They've been knocking on doors and canvassing for years, and are the most popular party on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

What a great country we could have if you could get rid of SF and the DUP and put them out on some island somewhere and take their bigotry with them ..

costacorta wrote: »
    What a great country we could have if you could get rid of SF and the DUP and put them out on some island somewhere and take their bigotry with them ..

They get voted in. Might not like it, but democracy is the voice of the people.

What I always find unusual I must say is that SF supporters continuously go on about bias in the media, yet almost nobody from the media (apart from Vinny B) asks about how SF don't officially recognise our 1937 constitution, our police and defence forces, or the validity of the Republic formed in 1922.

Unfortunately, we live in two democracies and that is not possible.

The good news is that both parties are declining in support over the last decade or so. Less extremism is good news.

Hopefully a party like Alliance will be the biggest party in the North within two or three elections.

They get voted in. Might not like it, but democracy is the voice of the people.

What I always find unusual I must say is that SF supporters continuously go on about bias in the media, yet almost nobody from the media (apart from Vinny B) asks about how SF don't officially recognise our 1937 constitution, our police and defence forces, or the validity of the Republic formed in 1922.

Gay Mitchell asked Martin McGuinness about this in 2011. McGuinness said he recognised all the institutions of the state and the Irish Defence Forces as Oglaigh na hEireann.

Old news.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we live in two democracies and that is not possible.

The good news is that both parties are declining in support over the last decade or so. Less extremism is good news.

Hopefully a party like Alliance will be the biggest party in the North within two or three elections.

The gains by the SDLP and the Alliance party is certainly good news for moderates. There's still a few of the old guard holding up the UUP, but you can definitely see a change starting to happen with them as well.

Young people in NI don't want peace walls, paramilitary style funerals, non-functioning government, having to emigrate to find good jobs. They want opportunity, happiness, inward investment, to live a good life.

More power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-under-pressure-to-reveal-location-of-its-secret-voter-database-40306631.html

This gets even more sinister the more we hear about it.

"The party is also refusing to say who developed the database or reveal how Sinn Féin paid for the sophisticated canvassing system."

"Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and Labour said they do not have similar centralised voter databases."

"An internal Sinn Féin document shows the party scanned details of the marked register and party officials are asked to update the database with local knowledge.

Voters are ranked in the system as ‘hard’ or ‘soft’ Sinn Féin voters or as ‘legacy supporters’ if they voted for the party in a previous elections."

This is a real serious threat to our democracy where a political party is creating secret files on ordinary voters. If they ever got to power, would they misuse that knowledge to target those who didn't vote for them? The potential implications of such a database are huge and there is not a single positive element to it.

As I said, I hope the Data Protection Commissioner takes them to the cleaners. Blatant and illegal use of data here by SF.
    Nevermind of course their 'funny money'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

markodaly wrote: »
    As I said, I hope the Data Protection Commissioner takes them to the cleaners. Blatant and illegal use of data here by SF.
    Nevermind of course their 'funny money'.

Well that remains to be seen. I'll certainly report back when I get a response to my SAR. If I recall correctly, they'll have 30 days to respond. I'm sticking with being suspicious, but without knowing the nature of the data they're holding, it would be quite hyperbolic to describe it as a blatant and illegal use of data.

• Advertisement

The auld Abú system is now up on the internet for us all to have a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Care to share a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

If indeed it is available online, SF have turned a Data Protection scandel into an outright criminal offence and crime.

Heads should roll for this and the Gardai should leave no stone unturned to see who is responsible.

If SF breach a load of GDPR rules, its everyone else's fault for not stopping them.

When they are caught, its someone's fault for ratting on them.

If you mention it in here, its your fault for picking on them.

SF want responsibility for the country and yet are never seemingly responsible for even their own behaviour.

Trying to find an update on this story. Is there one? Any links?

christ, this really is gossip hour

A Sinn Fein spokesperson said the only data their representatives hold "is information they are given by constituents".

"The party fully complies with Facebook's terms of service. We are also fully compliant with regulations concerning the use of the electoral register for exclusively electoral purposes."

Just so I get this right - people are complaining because SF use Facebook the way advertisers do, and supplement what they have with what is already publicly available - and people on here are on about GDPR?

I think a few people need to do a course on what GDPR means

If SF breach a load of GDPR rules, its everyone else's fault for not stopping them.

When they are caught, its someone's fault for ratting on them.

If you mention it in here, its your fault for picking on them.

SF want responsibility for the country and yet are never seemingly responsible for even their own behaviour.

This post should be bookmarked and taken out the next time another scandal hits Sinn Fein as it will be as true then as it is now.

I couldn't have summed it up better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There’s a nice property on the Eastern end of Cuba which might suit..

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    Just so I get this right - people are complaining because SF use Facebook the way advertisers do, and supplement what they have with what is already publicly available - and people on here are on about GDPR?

I think a few people need to do a course on what GDPR means

So this story has been raised by Leo's biographer, questions have been asked, Sinn Fein say they are compliant, is that it?

Has there been any more on it, other than opinions?

Advertisement