Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So this story has been raised by Leo's biographer, questions have been asked, Sinn Fein say they are compliant, is that it?

Has there been any more on it, other than opinions?

https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2018-11/Canvassing%20Elected%20Reps%20FINAL.pdf

"TRANSPARENCY
    If you collect information directly from constituents whether in person or otherwise, you must be transparent about your use of their personal data by providing them with information on:
    who you are and how you can be contacted; why you’re collecting their data; who you’ll share it with; how long you’ll keep it; that the legal basis for this processing is consent; and what their data protection rights are. You can provide this information person-to-person or give constituents a leaflet
    which sets it out. You can also direct constituents to another way in which they can easily access this information, for example on your website. If you do that or use another indirect method of providing this information, at a minimum you should tell constituents upfront who you are and how you can be contacted, why you’re collecting their information and explain that they have rights (including to withdraw consent at any time) in relation to the personal data you’re collecting from them."

Sinn Fein are in clear breach of these provisions. Each time they ask a voter at the door which way you are voting, they must also get the voter's consent for that information to be recorded in the Abu database. I am quite certain that they never got that far into the conversation the last time they called to my door because the door was closed before they started speaking.

Everybody who is on the Abu database should have been told that they will be colour-coded based on their response or non-response to SF callers to the door. That simply hasn't happened.

Looking forward to the DPC investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

So this story has been raised by Leo's biographer, questions have been asked, Sinn Fein say they are compliant, is that it?

Has there been any more on it, other than opinions?

once it comes out to be yet another waffle story fed by the indo etc to the usual AOBSFers the story will go cold and it'll be referenced - like the NI Bank Robbery - to in future with insinuation rather than any factual backing.

Good old fashioned, wigs and curlers, over the back fence gossip in other words.

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2018-11/Canvassing%20Elected%20Reps%20FINAL.pdf

"TRANSPARENCY
    If you collect information directly from constituents whether in person or otherwise, you must be transparent about your use of their personal data by providing them with information on:
    who you are and how you can be contacted; why you’re collecting their data; who you’ll share it with; how long you’ll keep it; that the legal basis for this processing is consent; and what their data protection rights are. You can provide this information person-to-person or give constituents a leaflet
    which sets it out. You can also direct constituents to another way in which they can easily access this information, for example on your website. If you do that or use another indirect method of providing this information, at a minimum you should tell constituents upfront who you are and how you can be contacted, why you’re collecting their information and explain that they have rights (including to withdraw consent at any time) in relation to the personal data you’re collecting from them."

Sinn Fein are in clear breach of these provisions. Each time they ask a voter at the door which way you are voting, they must also get the voter's consent for that information to be recorded in the Abu database. I am quite certain that they never got that far into the conversation the last time they called to my door because the door was closed before they started speaking.

Everybody who is on the Abu database should have been told that they will be colour-coded based on their response or non-response to SF callers to the door. That simply hasn't happened.

Looking forward to the DPC investigation.

why? in that case every marketing company that uses your data should contact you and tell you every time they highlight your name for any reason. Do you know the data kept in the database? how do you know its not just a number that links to the electoral database?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/people/sinn-feins-michelle-oneill-acknowledges-impact-of-death-of-duke-of-edinburgh-i-recognise-the-sense-of-loss-that-will-be-felt-by-many-people-across-our-community-particularly-those-of-unionist-tradition-or-those-who-have-a-3197570

Sinn Fein rarely deserve any credit, so I have to say well done to Michelle O'Neill and her words on the death of Prince Phillip. It is the first time I have seen a SF politician actually speak as if they understood the other side.

apparently not all members got the PR memo

another "up da ra" idiot , if this is the sort of stuff that appeals to sf voters they really are bottom of the cess pit

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-councillor-called-outfor-disgusting-mocking-of-prince-philips-death-40307817.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

another "up da ra" idiot , if this is the sort of stuff that appeals to sf voters they really are bottom of the cess pit

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-councillor-called-outfor-disgusting-mocking-of-prince-philips-death-40307817.html

Crass thing to say. Philip has provoked a wide variety of comment, some of t with merit, no doubt about it. But he shouldn't have tweeted that on his death.

• Advertisement

'Irish republican doesn't like queen's husband' shocker

The mask never fails to slip somewhere. Truly disgusting behaviour.

Not much further on. Where did this bit come from by the way?
    “I have never heard at a national level that a party is actually profiling every citizen in the State.''

Not much further on. Where did this bit come from by the way?

It seems you haven't understood what is actually going on in the Abu database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Nor do you, I or indeed anyone else outside of SF at present;
    We don't have enough information and Sinn Féin have to answer questions as to whether this is within data protection law, within GDPR.

There may well be a case to answer; I've sent across a SAR today as I'm very uncomfortable with the idea and I fully agree that there are questions that need answering.....but altogether far too many with their chests puffed out claiming to know things as fact that they absolutely don't at present.

I asked, where did that information come from...do you know or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Is the Abu database online? It was alleged here last night that it was online for us to see, but I can't find it, and the Dr who alleged this has not provided a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Spare me the emotional 'in the middle of a pandemic' stuff please. Plenty of examples of political capital being made out of it on all sides.
    Why you think a political party will not do this is odd.

There's lots of opportunities for SF to hurl away on the ditch and aspects of the pandemic response to criticize.

The test of the vaccine programme has been and continues to be, whether all the vaccines we get our hands on are used. SF demanding precise schedules when the approval of and delivery of vaccines is changing weekly and daily is mere irresponsible rabble rousing. As was disputing NIAC's scientific advice on the vaccine priority order as a means of currying favour with the teachers' unions.

The Data Protection Commissioner has written to SF asking them to explain what funny business they are up to with their internal voter database.

Someone must have made a complaint.

maccored wrote: »
    'Irish republican doesn't like queen's husband' shocker

If a uk politician posted something like that after the death of the irish head of state or family member of head of state there would be rightly outrage ,

no one expects much or gets much from creatures like this sf rep their standards are so low

Whatever your feelings about SF, can we all agree that the attacks by senior FG Indo journalists in particular Philip Ryan, towards the party over the past few days and beyond has been an absolute disgrace. The Indos low and gutter journalistic and editorial standards are there for all to see.

If a uk politician posted something like that after the death of the irish head of state or family member of head of state there would be rightly outrage ,

no one expects much or gets much from creatures like this sf rep their standards are so low

if a country that had historically abused Britain had a leader who had died - I can't see them being terribly sympathetic

The Data Protection Commissioner has written to SF asking them to explain what funny business they are up to with their internal voter database.

going by the top class reporting from the Indo they would have had to surely?

please do share the info you have meticulously researched. Oh right - you have none

• Advertisement

dont you have a link to post btw?

David Cullinane on radio there, they've been in touch with the DPC. So I suppose we'll see soon enough if there are any issues.

maccored wrote: »
    if a country that had historically abused Britain had a leader who had died - I can't see them being terribly sympathetic

Thankfully not everyone has the same mentality as you .

maturity intelligence and compassion self awareness are all things that would have to be lacking

the fact that you support that kind of attitude from a sf member says a lot about you and them

stay classy *terrorists :)

(possible former )

David Cullinane on radio there, they've been in touch with the DPC. So I suppose we'll see soon enough if there are any issues.

He was also criticizing absence of details on the plan to have 80% of adults offered vaccine by end of June. Mary Lou on TV this evening pushing similar line.

Ludicrous line to take given the week that's been in it.

It makes it look as if SF decided on Monday morning what point of attack for week would be and haven't been nimble footed enough to adjust after AstaZeneca restrictions, Johnson & Johnson pause and Pfizer uplift.

rdwight wrote: »
    He was also criticizing absence of details on the plan to have 80% of adults offered vaccine by end of June. Mary Lou on TV this evening pushing similar line.

It makes it look as if SF decided on Monday morning what point of attack for week would be and haven't been nimble footed enough to adjust after AstaZeneca restrictions, Johnson & Johnson pause and Pfizer uplift.

An opposition party criticising the government. My oh my, that's never happened before! Dreadful.

Cullinane wouldn’t be the sharpest tool in the box. Gets a briefing and regurgitates it. In fairness he’s not as shrill as Mary Lou or as loud as Pearse.

An opposition party criticising the government. My oh my, that's never happened before! Dreadful.

It actually seems to be the HSE they're attacking (see post #3637). Just as they attacked the NIAC a couple of weeks ago.

Surely being "The People's Taoiseach" carries some requirement for responsibility

It actually seems to be the HSE they're attacking (see post #3637). Just as they attacked the NIAC a couple of weeks ago.

Surely being "The People's Taoiseach" carries some requirement for responsibility

Can you name me an opposition party in the history of the state that didn't criticise the sitting government? Are you saying this is unique to SF?

Can you name me an opposition party in the history of the state that didn't criticise the sitting government? Are you saying this is unique to SF?

I'm saying there's lots about the government's pandemic response to criticize (failures in contact tracing, mandatory quarantine etc.).

Vaccine regulatory approvals and supplies are not under the control of authorities here but have a massive effect on the vaccine rollout. Constant barracking from the sidelines serves no purpose except possibly undermine public confidence in the rollout. It's irresponsible behaviour.

The time to criticize the rollout is when, as is possible, we fail to use all the vaccines that are being delivered in a timely manner. Barracking from the sidelines at this point won't make that less likely.

I think it's too early to praise or criticize the rollout but in fairness, inviting 65-69 year olds to register by this weekend shows a degree of nimble footedness after the week that's been in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,480 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Where's the database? EU or US?

Advertisement