Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

rdwight wrote: »
    I'm saying there's lots about the government's pandemic response to criticize (failures in contact tracing, mandatory quarantine etc.).

Vaccine regulatory approvals and supplies are not under the control of authorities here but have a massive effect on the vaccine rollout. Constant barracking from the sidelines serves no purpose except possibly undermine public confidence in the rollout. It's irresponsible behaviour.

The time to criticize the rollout is when, as is possible, we fail to use all the vaccines that are being delivered in a timely manner. Barracking from the sidelines at this point won't make that less likely.

I think it's too early to praise or criticize the rollout but in fairness, inviting 65-69 year olds to register by this weekend shows a degree of nimble footedness after the week that's been in it.

That's not how it works, you are not a member of the party and as far as I know they aren't looking for advice on what to hold the government to account on from critics of the party.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭TheTruth21

I'm saying there's lots about the government's pandemic response to criticize (failures in contact tracing, mandatory quarantine etc.).

Vaccine regulatory approvals and supplies are not under the control of authorities here but have a massive effect on the vaccine rollout. Constant barracking from the sidelines serves no purpose except possibly undermine public confidence in the rollout. It's irresponsible behaviour.

The time to criticize the rollout is when, as is possible, we fail to use all the vaccines that are being delivered in a timely manner. Barracking from the sidelines at this point won't make that less likely.

I think it's too early to praise or criticize the rollout but in fairness, inviting 65-69 year olds to register by this weekend shows a degree of nimble footedness after the week that's been in it.

We still have people in their 80s who havnt had their vaccine and you think we should be celebrating a registration system (which quite rightly should be ready by now)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Gay Mitchell asked Martin McGuinness about this in 2011. McGuinness said he recognised all the institutions of the state and the Irish Defence Forces as Oglaigh na hEireann.

Old news.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/04/20/news/mcguinness-grave-already-a-place-of-republican-pilgrimage-1001845/

If he recognised the Irish Defence Forces were Oglaigh na hEireann then what's the Oglaigh na hEireann referenced on his gravestone?

That's not how it works, you are not a member of the party and as far as I know they aren't looking for advice on what to hold the government to account on from critics of the party.

I'm not offering advice. I'm saying their pointless rabble rousing is irresponsible.

TheTruth21 wrote: »
    We still have people in their 80s who havnt had their vaccine and you think we should be celebrating a registration system (which quite rightly should be ready by now)

Now if Cullinane and Mary Lou were on the news asking how many and why that is I would have more respect for them.

• Advertisement

apparently not all members got the PR memo

another "up da ra" idiot , if this is the sort of stuff that appeals to sf voters they really are bottom of the cess pit

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-councillor-called-outfor-disgusting-mocking-of-prince-philips-death-40307817.html

I actually found Cullinane's campaign manager shouting "We broke the Free State" more sinister than the "up the 'ra" roar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Is the Abu database online? It was alleged here last night that it was online for us to see, but I can't find it, and the Dr who alleged this has not provided a link.
    Any more info on this? Or is it another deflection?

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/04/20/news/mcguinness-grave-already-a-place-of-republican-pilgrimage-1001845/

If he recognised the Irish Defence Forces were Oglaigh na hEireann then what's the Oglaigh na hEireann referenced on his gravestone?

Not sure why you can't google this yourself.

Oglaigh na hEireann means 'soldier of Ireland' the defence forces don't own the term.
    '“Óglach” is the name of a “volunteer” in the IRA or one of their members.

McGuinness is on record as saying he recognised the Defences Forces as the army of Ireland.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/martin-mcguinness-headstone-angers-unionists

And we're not looking for advice on how to criticise sinn fein on the sinn fein thread

So...?

And we're not looking for advice on how to criticise sinn fein on the sinn fein thread

So...?

Work away, you'll have to put up with other opinions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Any more info on this? Or is it another deflection?

Who claimed that? I haven't seen anyone make such a claim, either on boards or elsewhere.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Who claimed that? I haven't seen anyone make such a claim, either on boards or elsewhere.

Here ya go.
    The auld Abú system is now up on the internet for us all to have a look at.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The auld Abú system is now up on the internet for us all to have a look at.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116884851&postcount=3652

Not sure why you can't google this yourself.

Oglaigh na hEireann means 'soldier of Ireland' the defence forces don't own the term.

McGuinness is on record as saying he recognised the Defences Forces as the army of Ireland.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/martin-mcguinness-headstone-angers-unionists

"Óglaigh" is the plural, Francie, so "Óglaigh na hEireann" on the gravestone clearly refers to a group or organisation. And I don't think it is the Defence Forces.

To say the army of the Irish Republic don't "own the term" is a bit like saying that the British Army/Navy etc don't own the term "Crown Forces".

"Óglaigh" is the plural, Francie, so "Óglaigh na hEireann" on the gravestone clearly refers to a group or organisation. And I don't think it is the Defence Forces.

To say the army of the Irish Republic don't "own the term" is a bit like saying that the British Army/Navy etc don't own the term "Crown Forces".

:D:D Oops, I think the 'RA own that one RD. :D
    The term crown forces has been applied by militant Irish republicans to British-authorised security forces on the island of Ireland, including the British Armed Forces and armed police such as the Royal Ulster Constabulary, which are seen as enemy combatants or an occupation force.

:D:D Oops, I think the 'RA own that one RD. :D

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Is the Abu database online? It was alleged here last night that it was online for us to see, but I can't find it, and the Dr who alleged this has not provided a link.

Where's Tom Baker when you need him, bring in the Daleks I say, Exterminate Exterminate .....

Abu Hamza?

Any updates on this?

Not that I seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yaknowski

A few months back I blanket-mailed local councillors and TDs regarding an issue in my estate. All offered information etc, with back and forth via email/phone. Since then I've got 2 texts from the office of the Sinn Féin TD:

Good morning, X here from X TDs office. Just double checking if you are registered to vote at your address or if you've ever been registered to vote. I can send out voter registration forms or change of address forms if you let me know. If there are others in the house who would like either form as well I can do that. If you wouldn't mind replying with your name and full address I can send them out this week.

I'm not registered in this area so they've obviously done some cross-checking against the electoral register and saw that I am not registered. Personally I don't see any issue in this per se, using data to maximize potential votes. Other than it's a bit annoying like unsolicited like spam email or the political pamphlets that all parties drop in at election time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Thankfully not everyone has the same mentality as you .

maturity intelligence and compassion self awareness are all things that would have to be lacking

the fact that you support that kind of attitude from a sf member says a lot about you and them

stay classy *terrorists :)

(possible former )

I outlined that the british wouldnt say nice things about a leader of a country that would have oppressed them. I'd say thats a logical viewpoint going by how they treated the rest of the world.

Great to see you twisted that into some kind of weird post about 'terrorists' and some half statements, half insinuations that you are/aren't/i haven't a clue implying. Technically I suppose I could claim you are calling me a terrorist - or else youa re calling some other people terrorists (though you havent mentioned who).

Same goes for the "Thankfully not everyone has the same mentality as you .

maturity intelligence and compassion self awareness are all things that would have to be lacking " - more half arsed statements that you either are saying or arent saying to either me or someone else.

basically it's wile hard to figure out just wtf you are on about. Nonsensical post of the year award for yourself there

maccored wrote: »
    I outlined that the british wouldnt say nice things about a leader of a country that would have oppressed them. I'd say thats a logical viewpoint going by how they treated the rest of the world.

Great to see you twisted that into some kind of weird post about 'terrorists' and some half statements, half insinuations that you are/aren't/i haven't a clue implying. Technically I suppose I could claim you are calling me a terrorist - or else youa re calling some other people terrorists (though you havent mentioned who).

Same goes for the "Thankfully not everyone has the same mentality as you .

maturity intelligence and compassion self awareness are all things that would have to be lacking " - more half arsed statements that you either are saying or arent saying to either me or someone else.

basically it's wile hard to figure out just wtf you are on about. Nonsensical post of the year award for yourself there

In the context of some of the stuff posted about Philip on these island since his death, what the dastardly Shinner said is pretty tame.
    But sure, he's a shinner, it worth a load of column inches.

Not that I seen.
    If the shoe was on the other foot they would not stop deflecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

An opposition party criticising the government. My oh my, that's never happened before! Dreadful.

They aren't criticising the government though, they are just jumping up and down and giving out for the sake of it. They may as well pin the weather on the government at this stage.

Would SF prefer we ignore the new medical advice surrounding AZ?

This is a situation evolving daily, yet SF think its all about them, getting their soundbite over the airwaves for the perpetually angry in the population to get their daily dose of anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Whatever your feelings about SF, can we all agree that the attacks by senior FG Indo journalists in particular Philip Ryan, towards the party over the past few days and beyond has been an absolute disgrace. The Indos low and gutter journalistic and editorial standards are there for all to see.

Gutter journalism, so much so, the DPC are launching an investigation into potential lawbreaking.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0414/1209927-dpc-writes-to-sinn-fein-to-query-voter-database-reports/
    The Data Protection Commission has written to Sinn Féin to seek more information about reports that the party has compiled a database containing personal information of millions of voters.

In the letter, the DPC has outlined a series of questions about the Abú system to the party that it says it wants answered.

These include an explanation of the legal basis for the processing of the information contained in the database.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

markodaly wrote: »
    Gutter journalism, so much so, the DPC are launching an investigation into potential lawbreaking.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0414/1209927-dpc-writes-to-sinn-fein-to-query-voter-database-reports/

This is standard procedure when the DPC receive a complaint. My own company has had to respond to similar, as have any others who hold data who receive a complaint. Calling it, 'launching an investigation' is quite hyperbolic.

From the article, the line just after the part you quoted;
    it is understood that at this point, the DPC's inquiries are exploratory and aimed at establishing facts.

I've already said I have concerns of my own around this database, but I don't think the hyperbole does any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

markodaly wrote: »

There were calls from Sinn Fein for Leo to step aside while he was under investigation. Will they be calling for Mary-Lou to step aside now?

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭TheTruth21

blanch152 wrote: »
    There were calls from Sinn Fein for Leo to step aside while he was under investigation. Will they be calling for Mary-Lou to step aside now?

Leos under criminal investigation.

Mary Lou is under no investigation unless you have more info to share.

Just so you know the Govt are getting looked into by the same people regarding keeping profiles on family's and kids without there knowledge. You calling for them to Stepaside or just SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

SF in NI In 2003 https://www.irishtimes.com/news/selective-sf-takes-art-of-canvassing-to-new-level-1.392589
    Gerry Kelly MP and his running mate, Kathy Stanton, are calling at rows of terraced redbrick houses around Atlantic Avenue. But the houses aren't chosen at random. Instead, they are carefully selected from a database detailing the likely voting habits of each household. Working from a detailed register built up since the early 1980s, the director of elections for the area, John Meredith, a young enthusiastic volunteer, holds a clipboard with page after page of tables, figures and addresses.

The houses are broken down into "greens", or Sinn Féin voters, "yellows", typically undecided or those likely to transfer a vote, and "whites", typically unionist voters who do not vote Sinn Féin.

Tonight's focus is on first-time voters. There is a print-out of names and addresses of people who have turned 18. Parties sometimes tend to ignore young voters, who they feel are less likely to vote. Sinn Féin, however, recognises the value in winning them over, many having only vague memories of pre-ceasefire days.

At one terraced house a middle-aged woman opens the door to greet the candidates. After pleasantries are exchanged, they ask to see her daughter, who recently turned 18. When they find out she isn't in, they ask that she pass on the word that they're looking for her vote. They will be back during their next canvass.

description of canvassing based on the Torrent Strategy developed by Sheena Campbell https://vixenswithconvictions.com/2014/05/27/part-one-how-to-get-your-vote-out/ again this in NI
    https://vixenswithconvictions.com/2014/05/27/vixens-guide-to-election-canvass-stage-two-analysing-the-vote/
    The party had a computer database devised by a Newry man in 2000.
    how its used on polling say https://vixenswithconvictions.com/2014/05/27/part-three-polling-day/
    Every polling station allows some party workers to mark off sheets inside the polling stations as voters come in. Those sheets are not allowed to leave the room. But SF need the info on them so they know who has voted, and who they need to rap on the doorstep to get them out to vote, offer lifts etc.

The answer? Post it notes, with the numbers written on them, and smuggled outside to the caravan / gazebo / office. There, they are given to a central person who marks them off a chart sheet – and compared with whether a person is a green or a yellow. Come 6pm, Sinn Fein put a last push on going out to the doors, and basically trying to trail their green voters who havent made it to the polling station out. That’s where the car comes in, they’ll even try to take you there themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-under-pressure-to-reveal-location-of-its-secret-voter-database-40306631.html

"Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and Labour said they do not have similar centralised voter databases"

which means "Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and Labour have similar voter databases"

I suspect these voter databases would be jealously guarded by each TD and perhaps Sinn Fein more one party approach is what helped it be more centralised.

Advertisement