Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,194 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

smurgen wrote: »
    He doesn't seem all there. Tweeting and writing about SF non stop. A bizarre character.

Ah ok I see now why you were having a personal dig at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

No I wish him well. It's just someone who seems a joke as an attack must be stressed. Maybe burnout is setting in at the indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

He doesn't seem all there. Tweeting and writing about SF non stop. A bizarre character.

Reminds me of someone alright:)

Not too far away in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Personal digs at people, journalists, public figures and politicians all over this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No I wish him well. It's just someone who seems a joke as an attack must be stressed. Maybe burnout is setting in at the indo.

This is exactly the kind of thing that the adjective Shinnister so cleverly describes.

You see nothing wrong with a SF supporter/sympathiser posting a gun meme to a journalist on twitter, but the rest of the world does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Well, it was sold in a firesale to the Belgians and the FGers have never been in a position where they are the third party in the Dail. Goes against their belief that they were born to rule. SF got more seats than FG in the last GE and this has kept them upset since February 2020. The media had been used to the old FFG/Labour good/SF bad model and now that has changed and the sales of the print newspapers are continuing to fall.

Regards...jmcc

blanch152 wrote: »
    This is exactly the kind of thing that the adjective Shinnister so cleverly describes.

You see nothing wrong with a SF supporter/sympathiser posting a gun meme to a journalist on twitter, but the rest of the world does.

Rubbish, there are loads of people who are not SF laughing at his over reaction.

jmcc wrote: »
    Well, it was sold in a firesale to the Belgians and the FGers have never been in a position where they are the third party in the Dail. Goes against their belief that they were born to rule. SF got more seats than FG in the last GE and this has kept them upset since February 2020. The media had been used to the old FFG/Labour good/SF bad model and now that has changed and the sales of the print newspapers are continuing to fall.

Regards...jmcc

It's a conspiracy I tells ya.

Everyone is in on it except SF.

Regards...jmcc

Why are we talking about FG in this thread?

Was it Michael McDowell who said every day in government is worth a week in opposition? Could have been Bertie or Mary Harney but the essence still stands so I don't think anyone in FG is particularly fretting about the last election.

Personal digs at people, journalists, public figures and politicians all over this website.

Wait I just seen he's Varadkar's biographer. That explains the stress ;). Carry-on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-td-cant-saywhere-party-stores-voter-info-as-it-is-an-it-question-40341369.html

It comes after Sinn Féin housing spokesperson Eoin Ó Broin confirmed he “consensually” elicits personal details from Facebook users but said he stores the information in his memory rather than using the Abú system. Mr Ó Broin also refused to reveal the location of the party’s voter database despite repeated questions this week.

It's amazing that we have a TD with an eidetic memory. It must have been frustrating for Eoin to have to deal with Gerry Adams - a man with an extremely selective memory.

Heard the Louise O'Reilly interview referred to in the article earlier. She really came across as somebody with something to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,194 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Very true that's why I asked one particular poster why he targeted the political editor of a newspaper with statements like this to understand why.

"Phil Ryan isn't the full bob"

"He doesn't seem all there"

"A bizarre character"

Just found it strange as they didn't appear to bring it up when the journalist was tweeting about the Tánaiste.

Rubbish, there are loads of people who are not SF laughing at his over reaction.

Oh, I know, there are hundreds of them, they have never voted SF in their lives, but are seriously considering giving them a vote at the next election. We have a few of them in here too.

However, for the rest of the world anyone connected with SF posting a gun metaphor is Shinnister.

JJ, it is also nonsense to suggest that only Shinners have personal digs and hurl abuse and snide remarks as this thread alone will show you.

The 'woe is me' stuff gets a bit tiresome.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Oh, I know, there are hundreds of them, they have never voted SF in their lives, but are seriously considering giving them a vote at the next election. We have a few of them in here too.

However, for the rest of the world anyone connected with SF posting a gun metaphor is Shinnister.

:D:D Are you seriously suggesting all the criticism of the journalist are coming from Shinners on that tweet?

Paranoia is strong in that.

Everyone being FFG and, maybe, Labour?

Regards...jmcc

Wait I just seen he's Varadkar's biographer. That explains the stress ;). Carry-on!

Biographer. That's the key word here, smurgen.

I didn't read it, but by all accounts it wasn't even a particularly flattering profile of LV.

Did you ever just presume it might be a journalist doing his job as a political editor of the most read paper on this island, and reporting on a matter of public interest?

The story has resulted in all parties being called before a committee to see how they use social media profiling. What has SF supporters so angry on Twitter is they know Ryan is digging into a pretty chunky story about privacy, social media data scraping, overseas influence, and the general murkiness that surrounds SF as a party.

Hopping mad.

I think it was more a response to the general pile ons that happen if you publish anything mildly critical of SF.
    These journalists and politicians do seem to have a high opinion of themselves and their place in society. How dare people laugh at them. How dare they!
    You probably knew that but still managed to deflect to covid, homelessness and journalism in general. Not bad comrade. Next time throw in #leotheleak for the full house
    Don't think that I'd be quite at the level of the Strategic Communications Unit members. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I think this article by Mick Clifford is a good summary of the current discussion.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-31006275.html#.Xu3Is1i9AEQ.twitter

Any coverage that touches on the party’s past, culture, structures or extraordinary wealth is deemed unacceptable and actually a product of this bias. On social media, coverage of these issues is presented as examples of how “the media” has it in for the party. This sentiment is then amplified exponentially in the echo chamber of social media.

In such a milieu it would be perfectly believable that a journalist would have no compunction in manufacturing a threat of rape against his daughter in order to portray the Shinners as thugs. Of course he would. Don’t the media “hate” Sinn Féin?

The tactic is highly effective. It operates organically within the echo chamber.

Also the journalist who erroneously reported that Leo had to vacate his home because of threats apparently.
    Story was withdrawn.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I think this article by Mick Clifford is a good summary of the current discussion.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-31006275.html#.Xu3Is1i9AEQ.twitter

Any coverage that touches on the party’s past, culture, structures or extraordinary wealth is deemed unacceptable and actually a product of this bias. On social media, coverage of these issues is presented as examples of how “the media” has it in for the party. This sentiment is then amplified exponentially in the echo chamber of social media.

In such a milieu it would be perfectly believable that a journalist would have no compunction in manufacturing a threat of rape against his daughter in order to portray the Shinners as thugs. Of course he would. Don’t the media “hate” Sinn Féin?

The tactic is highly effective. It operates organically within the echo chamber.

See above.

Also the journalist who erroneously reported that Leo had to vacate his home because of threats apparently.
    Story was withdrawn.
    There were two bylines on the story. Not sure if that his was one of them.

Regards...jmcc

There were two bylines on the story. Not sure if that his was one of them.

Regards...jmcc

That's why I said 'apparently'.

Came from the Indo though, keen to slant certain stories.

Story was withdrawn.

Interesting. Was there any clarification for that misleading information afterwards?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Mick is a fine journalist, and called this stuff out good and early. It's really healthy that our journalists are starting to come out and talk about the intimidation that is being fired their way by SF supporters and the Pirate Flag crew.

Pay for journalism btw. As Leonard Cohen once said, 'that's how the light gets in'.

The story has resulted in all parties being called before a committee to see how they use social media profiling. What has SF supporters so angry on Twitter is they know Ryan is digging into a pretty chunky story about privacy, social media data scraping, overseas influence, and the general murkiness that surrounds SF as a party.

Hopping mad.
    Must have a look at the domain names that use the names of political parties and in which countries they are hosted. While some will obviously not be owned by the parties, others will. As your friend said, I don't have his knowledge about databases so it might take some time.

Social Media data scraping is not what SF did. Think that there was even a photo of FG's Social Media HQ along with its members published in a book a few years ago. Not quite the thing one saw on "Homeland".

Regards...jmcc

That's why I said 'apparently'.

Came from the Indo though, keen to slant certain stories.
    Yep. The Sindo does employ Eoghan Harris. He really likes SF as it has been keeping him in paid employment for decades. :)

Regards...jmcc

Mick is a fine journalist, and called this stuff out good and early. It's really healthy that our journalists are starting to come out and talk about the intimidation that is being fired their way by SF supporters and the Pirate Flag crew.

Pay for journalism btw. As Leonard Cohen once said, 'that's how the light gets in'.

Did you find anything that links to SF in those tweets you posted?

Yep. The Sindo does employ Eoghan Harris. He really likes SF as it has been keeping him in paid employment for decades. :)

Regards...jmcc

Oh lord...Eoghan! :)

• Advertisement

Regards...jmcc

Everyone knows Harris is a bitter old Stickie like his former mate Kerrigan on the back page of that publication.

Not sure what relevancy that has to the intimidation of journalists by SF supporters.

Advertisement