Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Actually it was Ali Bracken and Rodney Edwards who wrote that fake story.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.
    General point about the Indo stands.

It also sent a fellow journalist to call out intimidation from SF supporters on one of their colleagues, and that has resulted in the Press Gallery in the Dáil asking the leader in the Dáil and President of SF to come out with a statement about it. Political journalists from all the major media outlets are in agreement.

This is not a hatchet job on SF. It's a case of you reap what you sow.

#payforjournalism

Victim blaming is not uncommon in cases like this
    Victim blamer's think it excuses bullying
    Thankfully we do have a free press and it's fitting that the pile on itself as a result has backfired with a wider light shone on the bullies via free press solidarity :)

Victim blaming is not uncommon in cases like this
    Victim blamer's think it excuses bullying
    Thankfully we do have a free press and it's fitting that the pile on itself as a result has backfired with a wider light shone on the bullies via free press solidarity :)

What the person who posted the Tom and Jerry meme was getting at, and who seems to have been assumed to come from SF (who aren't allowed to use a catoon of a gun apparently) and therefore the journalist felt threatened.

That about sums this up, yes?

How often is it assumed people who hurl abuse on social media are from SF in the same way?

Flag of convenience again?

This is more of a nothing burger. The Irish establishment is pretty bad at this kind of thing. Oh noes, they have voters information.

Victim blaming is not acceptable
    Furthermore any SF supporter using a gun meme to bully a journalist is not a good look
    Not to mention the shades of Veronica Guerin about it
    It was and is a thick thing to do and made worse by the victim blaming pile on

• Advertisement

Victim blaming is not acceptable
    Furthermore any SF supporter using a gun meme to bully a journalist is not a good look
    Can you link this guy to SF?
    A backfire meme using a cartoon is verbotten to SF supporters? :):)
    Not to mention the shades of Veronica Guerin about it
    It was and is a thick thing to do and made worse by the victim blaming pile on

The guy has no link to SF, he's a graphic designer in Waterford who seems to have been born after the conflict/war was over.

Honestly, this dictatorial stuff is not a good look.

'Shades of Veronica Guerin'...a Tom and Jerry cartoon???? Wow! How to trivialise what a victim went through to create another spurious one. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

jmcc wrote: »
    She should tell them to man up and do their jobs. And then she should point out that in Tom and Jerry, Jerry always wins. :)

I think that people would pay for good journalism (The Currency etc) but not for press release recycling and propaganda. One of the reasons that many print newspapers are failing and losing readers is that in the 1990s, the newspapers decided to become viewspapers. They just can't compete with the Internet on that aspect.

Regards...jmcc

The mask always slips.

People are intimidated by Sinn Fein supporters, and the leader of Sinn Fein should just tell them to man up and do their jobs.

The clear message from this post is that social media intimidation in support of Sinn Fein is acceptable. Well, to this poster at least, it is not.

jmcc wrote: »
    Good God! The Journal actually did some reporting once. Seems that all the parties are at this Social Media thing.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fine-gael-social-media-guide-2692710-Apr2016/

Regards...jmcc

The Social Media thing isn't the issue, the secret database profiling everybody in the electorate is the problem.

By the way theres no requirement to link anyone to anyone at all in that twitter thread,the bullying pile on in support of the gun meme says it all
    Totally unacceptable and ironically probably just reinforcing the free press's resolve
    If head office has any sense,they'll Rein this behaviour in

blanch152 wrote: »
    The mask always slips.

People are intimidated by Sinn Fein supporters, and the leader of Sinn Fein should just tell them to man up and do their jobs.

The clear message from this post is that social media intimidation in support of Sinn Fein is acceptable. Well, to this poster at least, it is not.

Can you link the sender of this meme to SF?

The sender who says it was a 'shooting yourself in the foot' meme.

I am adamant that somebody is allowed to counter a journalist on social media, be that, criticism, poking fun, or debating with them. And that freedom of speech is sacrosanct in any environment.
    That is a contract you make once you make a public statement. Attempts to silence comment you don't like should be resisted.

And genuine abuse should not be belittled with absurd pile-ons like there has been on this tweet.

• Advertisement

Using a gun meme on twitter to bully a journalist is sinister
    Period
    No amount of victim blaming fixes that
    It makes it exponentially worse,the more its done
    Its just not acceptable towards a free press in a democracy

Using a gun meme on twitter to bully a journalist is sinister
    Period
    No amount of victim blaming fixes that
    It makes it exponentially worse,the more its done
    Its just not acceptable towards a free press in a democracy

So can we say, 'you shot yourself in the foot', in this brave new world of yours?

Do a wee experiment for yourself here - go on Twitter, pretend you are replying to somebody with a gif, then start counting how many 'gun' gifs there are.

Then you might get a sense of the absurdity of what you are asking for here.

Somebody had a giggle at a journalist shooting himself in the foot...and the journalist is now a 'victim'.

Somebody had a giggle at a journalist shooting himself in the foot...and the journalist is now a 'victim'.

Keep digging
    Bullying pile on's aren't the good look they're made out to be in the bullying bubble anymore :)

Can you link the sender of this meme to SF?

The sender who says it was a 'shooting yourself in the foot' meme.

I am adamant that somebody is allowed to counter a journalist on social media, be that, criticism, poking fun, or debating with them. And that freedom of speech is sacrosanct in any environment.
    That is a contract you make once you make a public statement. Attempts to silence comment you don't like should be resisted.

And genuine abuse should not be belittled with absurd pile-ons like there has been on this tweet.

You know, this is the typical response from Sinn Fein apologists.

Press gallery in the Dail complains about consistent persistent unacceptable abuse on social media from Sinn Fein supporters. Sinn Fein voter attempts to downplay the serious issue by nitpicking about whether a particular specific instance can be linked directly to a Sinn Fein supporter, rather than accepting the general point. The icing on the cake is a complaint that genuine abuse should not be belittled!!! You couldn't make it up.

There are complaints from journalists about persistent abuse from Sinn Fein supporters. Either you accept this is a problem or you don't.

You know, this is the typical response from Sinn Fein apologists.

Press gallery in the Dail complains about consistent persistent unacceptable abuse on social media from Sinn Fein supporters. Sinn Fein voter attempts to downplay the serious issue by nitpicking about whether a particular specific instance can be linked directly to a Sinn Fein supporter, rather than accepting the general point. The icing on the cake is a complaint that genuine abuse should not be belittled!!! You couldn't make it up.

There are complaints from journalists about persistent abuse from Sinn Fein supporters. Either you accept this is a problem or you don't.

Where has the 'Press Gallery' complained? Can you link to the Press Gallery speaking as one on this?

All I can see is a journalist from the Irish edition of the Daily Mail saying this, John Lee.

Where has the 'Press Gallery' complained? Can you link to the Press Gallery speaking as one on this?

All I can see is a journalist from the Irish edition of the Daily Mail saying this, John Lee.

So you don't think that there is any problem at all?

So you don't think that there is any problem at all?

There is a problem with abuse on social media.

Laying it all at the door of SF is just absurd.

Any luck with the 'Press Gallery' complaining as a body or asking Mary Lou to come before it?

One journo thinking this is what should happen is not what I am looking for.

There is a problem with abuse on social media.

Laying it all at the door of SF is just absurd.

Any luck with the 'Press Gallery' complaining as a body or asking Mary Lou to come before it?

One journo thinking this is what should happen is not what I am looking for.

The claim is that there is a particular problem with abuse of others by those purporting to support Sinn Fein. This has been identified by many people, by victims of SF/IRA like Mairia Cahill, by journalists and by other politicians.

Put your head in the sand if you like, but that's the reality. Play the victim card of everyone out to get SF if you prefer, but that is a tired meme.

I think SF hq don't have the luxury of pretending away what their troll army get up to,unlike said troll army

Meanwhile Phillip is not being Cowered by them I see

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1385166611682897926?s=19

Whats wrong with buying Irish
    Theres super irony here :)

The claim is that there is a particular problem with abuse of others by those purporting to support Sinn Fein. This has been identified by many people, by victims of SF/IRA like Mairia Cahill, by journalists and by other politicians.

Put your head in the sand if you like, but that's the reality. Play the victim card of everyone out to get SF if you prefer, but that is a tired meme.

Yet what sparked this, a cartoon image has no obvious connection to SF.

Put your head in the sand but it bears the hallmark of a pile-on by a few journalists with issues about SF.
    Check out John Lee disrupting a Shinner press conference making his colleagues wince trying to ask questions completely unrelated to the subject of the press conference. Then muttering about press freedom. :):)

Never claimed everyone was 'out to get them', some have an unhealthy gripe though. Living in their heads and under their beds.

• Advertisement

Put your head in the sand but it bears the hallmark of a pile-on by a few journalists with issues about SF.
    Check out John Lee disrupting a Shinner press conference making his colleagues wince trying to ask questions completely unrelated to the subject of the press conference. Then muttering about press freedom. :):)

Never claimed everyone was 'out to get them', some have an unhealthy gripe though. Living in their heads and under their beds.

Sorry, denying the obvious - SF supporters being abusive on social media - is not a good look.

Whataboutery and shoot the messenger are not the right response.

Dear ffg supporters. Nobody cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Is that the same John Lee whose wife abuses travellers on Twitter.
    Oooh I just love the hypocrisy.

Fann Linn wrote: »

John Lee speaks and blanch and the rest assume that he is speaking for the 'Press Gallery'.

A pile-on by a few journalists is what it was.

Fann Linn wrote: »

I don't know anything about him but to be fair,you may not be familiar with Tue-quoque :
    'Tue-quoque (or "you also"), or the appeal to hypocrisy, is an informal fallacy that intends to discredit the opponent's argument by attacking the opponent's own personal behavior as being inconsistent with the argument's conclusion(s). This specious reasoning is a special type of ad hominem attack. It is used frequently[citation needed] with "whataboutism" being one particularly well known instance of this fallacy. The Oxford English Dictionary cites John Cooke's 1614 stage play The Cittie Gallant as the earliest use of the term in the English language.

LINKY

I don't know anything about him but to be fair,you may not be familiar with Tue-quoque :

LINKY

In other words, let's not look too closely at someone's motives or agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

John Lee speaks and blanch and the rest assume that he is speaking for the 'Press Gallery'.

A pile-on by a few journalists is what it was.

True, only applies to journalists who dare report anything considered negative by SF fans.

True, only applies to journalists who dare report anything considered negative by SF fans.

What difference is there between SF 'fans' getting upset and any other parties 'fans' getting upset?

Have a look at the threads on politics here - there is no difference whatsoever.

Again, there is 'othering' going on here. Another example, the spat on Joe Duffy between die hard Enda/FG fans and those who didn't and don't like Enda/FG this week...not a Shinner to be seen.

Political rivalry, as old and as abusive as politics and abuse itself, but something something.... SF.

What difference is there between SF 'fans' getting upset and any other parties 'fans' getting upset?
    None
    I saw a twitter handle today called Mary likes McDonalds
    I thought it very poor taste,although admittedly I'm human,so I laughed

• Advertisement

None
    I saw a twitter handle today called Mary likes McDonalds
    I thought it very poor taste,although admittedly I'm human,so I laughed

WHich says more about you than anything else.

You don't have to go to Twitter to see that kind of abuse, plenty of it on here over the years.

You get a laugh out of it. I don't and called it out several times.

There is a fairly prominent example of it on Twitter right now, which I won't share.

Advertisement