Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You have to laugh at the latest deflection story by Philip Ryan. He is now making a big deal of SF moving their data storage from the UK to Germany.

The reason why the data was moved from the UK was because of Brexit and GDPR. By hosting data in the EU they are complying with GDPR but the way Philip Ryan paints it makes it look more sinister and dubious.

The narrative has changed because his original story is a non story and because all parties will be questioned on their data retention activities in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

skimpydoo wrote: »
    You have to laugh at the latest deflection story by Philip Ryan. He is now making a big deal of SF moving their data storage from the UK to Germany.

The reason why the data was moved from the UK was because of Brexit and GDPR. By hosting data in the EU they are complying with GDPR but the way Philip Ryan paints it makes it look more sinister and dubious.

The narrative has changed because his original story is a non story and because all parties will be questioned on their data retention activities in the Dail.

I pointed out examples of that language in his article. 'Secret' was his fave word. It wasn't 'secret' just most people didn't know about it because it is an internal pary mechanism- which does not a 'secret' make.

WHich says more about you than anything else.

You don't have to go to Twitter to see that kind of abuse, plenty of it on here over the years.

You get a laugh out of it. I don't and called it out several times.

I don't believe you :)

Too bad, because I have.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112767805&postcount=1315

I also called out Paddy Holohan's blatant misogyny. And there are other examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

But it's funny who you do believe.

That tweet yesterday by John Lee did not get likes or RT's from the prominent journalists you would have expected it would. No Gavan Reilly for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What difference is there between SF 'fans' getting upset and any other parties 'fans' getting upset?

Have a look at the threads on politics here - there is no difference whatsoever.

Again, there is 'othering' going on here. Another example, the spat on Joe Duffy between die hard Enda/FG fans and those who didn't and don't like Enda/FG this week...not a Shinner to be seen.

Political rivalry, as old and as abusive as politics and abuse itself, but something something.... SF.

Took your advice and looked at the threads in the politics forum. Saw one on the problems of SF with social media abuse, but didn't see one for other parties. Pretty much destroys your argument.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Took your advice and looked at the threads in the politics forum. Saw one on the problems of SF with social media abuse, but didn't see one for other parties. Pretty much destroys your argument.

Opened as a discussion topic on which it is stated by more than one that it is a general problem.

You just reading what you want to see again?

Opened as a discussion topic on which it is stated by more than one that it is a general problem.

You just reading what you want to see again?

There is no thread on a specific social media problem with any other political party.

There is no thread on a specific social media problem with any other political party.

Who said there was?

Plenty of argument against the notion on that thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I pointed out examples of that language in his article. 'Secret' was his fave word. It wasn't 'secret' just most people didn't know about it because it is an internal pary mechanism- which does not a 'secret' make.

I think you need to google the definition of secret.

• Advertisement

But it's funny who you do believe.

That tweet yesterday by John Lee did not get likes or RT's from the prominent journalists you would have expected it would. No Gavan Reilly for example.

And quickly turned into a lie about the Press Gallery as a whole. Some people too desperate to pile-on methinks.

I think you need to google the definition of secret.

The journalist came into his 'scoop' because he got his hands on a booklet distributed to SF members on how to use the system.

Yeh, a big 'secret' operation. :)

Too bad, because I have.

I also called out Paddy Holohan's blatant misogyny. And there are other examples.

Yes, but you defended Paddy Holohan's blatant homophobia and racism.

You also indulged in misogynistic blame the victim practices in the case of Mairia Cahill.

You also defended the sectarian councillor with the Kingsmill bread.

Your record on these issues is far from clean.

Who said there was?

Plenty of argument against the notion on that thread though.

Just the usual SF whataboutery and deflection. The fact remains that the only thread on the politics forum about a particular party with a social media problem is Sinn Fein.

Too bad, because I have.

I don't believe you don't chuckle at things that aren't terribly politically correct
    Nobody is that perfect :)
    But then this thread is not about you or me

Yes, but you defended Paddy Holohan's blatant homophobia and racism.

I didn't defend it. I didn't think what he said was racist or homophobic. There is a difference.
    If he was racist and homophobic I would have been equally critical of hi,
    You also indulged in misogynistic blame the victim practices in the case of Mairia Cahill.

You also defended the sectarian councillor with the Kingsmill bread.

Your record on these issues is far from clean.

These are lies, and I'm not diverting the thread disputing them. You are as usual misrepresenting.

But nice how you avoided accepting the fact that I have called out blatant fat shaming and misogynistic posts.

I don't believe you don't chuckle at things that aren't terribly politically correct
    Nobody is that perfect :)
    But then this thread is not about you or me

Unbelievable attempt to drag somebody down to your level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is the Dunning Kruger effect that seems to affect journalists. They think that just because they use the Internet that they know, in great detail, how it works.

There are also examples of the Dunning Kruger effect here with Linode being a "small" hoster, posters not knowing what Cambridge Analytica did but claiming it was like SF did despite not having seen the SF data, the incontinent database creator and others.

Brexit happened on December 31st 2020. The sfabu.com website had been hosted on the Linode IP address in Frankfurt since at least January 2020. However, a website is not its domain name. The domain name was registered in October 2019 on an ICANN accredited registrar in the US and some technologically clueless people jumped on that as evidence of the website being "registered" in the US. SF have said that the data has been stored in the EU and had previously been stored in the UK.

It has turned into a bit of non-story but the Sindo/Indo is still banging away with it..Unfortunately for FG, FF and Labour, they now have to explain their online activities to the Oireachtas Housing Committee. This has spread beyond an SF targeted story. The ironic thing is that Philip Ryan and Niall O'Connor's biography contains and account of Varadkar talking about setting up fake Social Media accounts to comment favourably on government topics. It would not be surprising if that is also brought up during questioning.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    It is the Dunning Kruger effect that seems to affect journalists. They think that just because they use the Internet that they know, in great detail, how it works.

There are also examples of the Dunning Kruger effect here with Linode being a "small" hoster, posters not knowing what Cambridge Analytica did but claiming it was like SF did despite not having seen the SF data, the incontinent database creator and others.

Brexit happened on December 31st 2020. The sfabu.com website had been hosted on the Linode IP address in Frankfurt since at least January 2020. However, a website is not its domain name. The domain name was registered in October 2018 on an ICANN accredited registrar in the US and some technologically clueless people jumped on that as evidence of the website being "registered" in the US. SF have said that the data has been stored in the EU and had previously been stored in the UK.

It has turned into a bit of non-story but the Sindo/Indo is still banging away with it..Unfortunately for FG, FF and Labour, they now have to explain their online activities to the Oireachtas Housing Committee. This has spread beyond an SF targeted story. The ironic thing is that Philip Ryan and Niall O'Connor's biography contains and account of Varadkar talking about setting up fake Social Media accounts to comment favourably on government topics. It would not be surprising if that is also brought up during questioning.

Regards...jmcc

Somebody should be keeping count. :)

Pride comes before the fall.

• Advertisement

Just the usual SF whataboutery and deflection. The fact remains that the only thread on the politics forum about a particular party with a social media problem is Sinn Fein.
    Perhaps you can get Varadkar's bots, which he suggested should be set up to comment on government policies, to like that? You are not one of those bots, Blanch? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Somebody should be keeping count. :)

this thread itself is doing that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Perhaps you can get Varadkar's bots, which he suggested should be set up to comment on government policies, to like that? You are not one of those bots, Blanch? :)

Regards...jmcc

Threadbanned

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

jmcc's threadban lifted following discussion with poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The indo is like our very own fox news. Reminds me of the hillary server story they hyped up when she was running against trump.

smurgen wrote: »
    The indo is like our very own fox news. Reminds me of the hillary server story they hyped up when she was running against trump.
    Perhaps the new owners of IN&M wish it was as successful as Fox News. It was formerly a Murdoch operation and he has made a lot of money from this type of media in broadcast format or print.

The Sindo/Indo have always been relatively large newspapers in a small market. However, their position in that market has made them politically valuable. The "Payback Time" headline is one of the most famous Indo headlines for a reason. It became quite pro-FF after that.

Then, when Denis O'Brien became the largest shareholder after buying about 500 million Euro of shares, it shifted more towards FG.

O'Brien had sold his shares in IN&M at a loss of about 450 million Euro. The new Belgian owners don't seem to know what to do with the newspapers yet. It had to build a new content management system before it installed its paywall.

This SF database story is quite different from the HRC mail server one. (It is closer to that one where someone got the idea that a Russian bank was communicating with a server in one of Trump's properties based on some odd analysis of Internet traffic.) HRC's use of an unauthorised mailserver actually broke US law on handling classified materials but some FBI members did not want to proceed with a prosecution of a presidential candidate.

The SF database story has been pushed by the Sindo/Indo. The fact that all parties now have to appear before the Oireachtas Housing Committee and explain their online activities seems to have been an unintended consequence.

The DPC has not said that SF did anything wrong or commented on SF's reply to her questions.

There is a kind of drip feed from the Sindo/Indo where its articles are being picked up by other newspapers. The odd thing about these articles is that they add very little to the original Sindo/Indo stories and often just rereport stuff published elsewhere so that it becomes a he said, she said chain of stories.

There is now a story being pushed about UK Information Commissioner Office examining how SF stores voter data and naturally, the end paragraphs have quotes from Varadkar claiming that FG decided against a centralised database a few years ago as it would not be GDPR compliant.

Regards...jmcc

Mary Lou making your man Fran on Prime Time look like an idiot TBH.

A 'crucial partner has said no to a border poll'. :D:D:D

Mary Lou making your man Fran on Prime Time look like an idiot TBH.

A 'crucial partner has said no to a border poll'. :D:D:D
    Definitely not the kind of interviewer for that level of political interview. (McCullagh would have been much better.) He looked like a little schoolboy on a high stool. Not a good look if he wanted to be taken seriously. The earlier section on the database issue seemed to revolve how to pronounce the word "data".

The cookie section was quite funny. It nailed FG. Wonder if Claire Byrne will have Sesame Street's Cookie Monster on the next show to explain it for viewers?

Regards...jmcc

Explosive expose on Prime Time of Sinn Fein's data protection difficulties.

Some posters on here owe Philip Ryan an apology. Huge kudos to him as Mary-Lou admits DPO were in touch with SF following media stories and non-compliance was exposed.

A legal expert on data protection confirming that Sinn Fein's use of the Electoral Register is in breach of the Electoral Act.

Mary-Lou having to admit to several breaches of data protection legislation. Car crash stuff. Doubling down on not needing consent. Incredible stuff.

She didn't answer the question about whether the information was ever held outside the EU. This story will run and run and SF are bound to feature in the DPC's annual report.

The Belfast boys have got to her because she backed away from an apology for Mountbatten. She refused to say that the IRA member who looked out to sea and saw children on the boat and detonated the bomb was wrong. Incredible stuff.

• Advertisement

Definitely not the kind of interviewer to for that level of political interview. (McCullagh would have been much better.) He looked like a little schoolboy on a high stool. Not a good look if he wanted to be taken seriously. The earlier section on the database issue seemed to revolve how to pronounce the word "data".

The cookie section was quite funny. It nailed FG. Wonder if Claire Byrne will have Sesame Street's Cookie Monster on the next show to explain it for viewers?

Regards...jmcc

Yes, FG seem to have fixed 'issues' in the last couple of days too.

GDPR is a nightmare for everyone and a bit ridiculous in many ways. I.E. In order to find out what details someone might have on you, you have to give them your details.

Advertisement