Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If you read some of the replies, a few FG TD's have pulled their websites offline. It looks like FG won't want Philip Ryan darkening their doors again.

If only there was a meme to represent that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

The replys to that are bloody hilarious, seems ryan has opened a Pandora's box, FG and Leo website caught with their data pants down, and them been pointing at others for the last few weeks.
    When will they ever learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

If you read some of the replies, a few FG TD's have pulled their websites offline. It looks like FG won't want Philip Ryan darkening their doors again.
    Yep. It might be interesting to take a look through the archived copies of their sites on the Wayback Machine. FG and FF are going to be very pissed off with the Sindo/Indo over this. That hidden Facebook tracker in the FG site was quite nasty as was one of the hidden trackers that people had to unwittingly accept while consenting to cookies. That Daragh O Brien chap from that data protection company had a video of it and it shows it at 1 minute 16 seconds into the video.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

jmcc wrote: »
    Yep. It might be interesting to take a look through the archived copies of their sites on the Wayback Machine. FG and FF are going to be very pissed off with the Sindo/Indo over this. That hidden Facebook tracker in the FG site was quite nasty as was one of the hidden trackers that people had to unwittingly accept while consenting to cookies. That Daragh O Brien chap from that data protection company had a video of it and it shows it at 1 minute 16 seconds into the video.

Regards...jmcc
    Oh I know all too well about the hidden Facebook tracker. I was told about it recently when I attended a virtual Apple media security briefing. Apple is not too pleased with it and it's the main reason why FB is having beef with Apple.

• Advertisement

Oh I know all too well about the hidden Facebook tracker. I was told about it recently when I attended a virtual Apple media security briefing. Apple is not too pleased with it and it's the main reason why FB is having beef with Apple.
    This is a serious problem for FG as it is hiding the tracker from people when they consent to cookies. Now it has its very own Cambridge Analytica situation. Not sure of the legal situation on that one but there was an element of uncertainty over what SF was doing. This was being done on at least one FG site.

Regards...jmcc

I have the perfect one on my phone. I will go get it and post it up here.

Here it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

blanch152 wrote: »
    Just like there are degrees of road traffic offences from breaking a speeding limit or an amber light to drunkenly killing a pedestrian, there are degrees of GDPR offences from unknowingly having a setting on a website to deliberately constructing a database of people without their consent and using it to profile their political opinions with information gathered from other sources.

Simple as.

You’re comparing a GDPR breach to a drunk driver killing someone. Would you ever just take a proper look at yourself and measure what you’re saying?

Cloudflare as a hosting company :D, I bet they also think Kerry is good for cloud computing because of the amount of clouds over Kerry.
    Wouldn't be surprising. Technically, Cloudflare has about 5.86 million gTLD websites on its nameservers. It is also an ICANN accredited registrar.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Just like there are degrees of road traffic offences from breaking a speeding limit or an amber light to drunkenly killing a pedestrian, there are degrees of GDPR offences from unknowingly having a setting on a website to deliberately constructing a database of people without their consent and using it to profile their political opinions with information gathered from other sources.

Simple as.

Hmmm do I get the feeling that Blanch thinks that FG unknowingly having a setting on a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

More than one site, I believe Leo's websites is down. There might be others down too.

Philip won't like this, SF are not the only party hosting in Germany.
    is that just a redirect or is finegael's website hosted by the same company/location as SF's database?

is that just a redirect or is finegael website hosted by the same company as SF's database?
    Looks like both are hosted by Linode. So all FG's bitching when they are using the exact same hosts. You couldn't make it up.

is that just a redirect or is finegael website hosted by the same company as SF's database?
    It is a Linode IP but the site redirects to finegael.ie index page. FG's main site is using Cloudflare for DDoS prevention.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

wow.

Add to that Leo "methinks he doth protest too much" at SF.

Sinn Féin TD says party presentation on social media use was ‘stupidly worded’ https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/sinn-f%C3%A9in-td-says-party-presentation-on-social-media-use-was-stupidly-worded-1.4545845
    A senior Sinn Féin TD has said a leaked party presentation its use of social media is “stupidly worded”, arguing its digital campaigning platform Abu cannot be used in the manner described on the slide.

The party’s housing spokesman, Eoin O Broin, told The Irish Times that a slide in the training material suggesting people can be tagged as a “social media engager” was not correct.

Sinn Féin has come under political pressure to explain how its database works, and whether data from social media platforms is imported to it and further analysed or combined with other identifying information.

The slide, which was first published by the Irish Independent, describes how social media is “key to enhancing our real world interaction”. It advises that Facebook will show the name of a person to a canvasser and “roughly where they live”.

“By engaging with them you may be able to elicit more specific information that will help you pinpoint them in the real-world,” the slide says.

It continues: “You can use the search function in the Abu system to find the person you have engaged with online, tag them as a social media engager and follow up with a canvass on their doorstep”.

However, Mr O Broin said this was “stupidly worded”. He said no facility existed within the Sinn Féin system to upload the information in the manner described by the slide. He also said no data-matching took place, and was not possible in the system.

companies often overstate their abilities (Cambridge Analytics being a prime example of that), but I don't understand why they would create this national database and not doing these thing describe aboved, its not far fetched, like some of CA claims about the effect of psychological profiling were.

Cummins, as usual, is way out of his depth on the subject. In a GE debate, the moderator had to tell him to "shut up" as he was acting like a spoilt brat and not allowing other candidates to speak. He makes O'Broin's stuff look very sensible and plausible and is a disaster for FG on this matter.
    companies often overstate their abilities (Cambridge Analytics being a prime example of that), but I don't understand why they would create this national database and not doing these thing describe aboved, its not far fetched, like some of CA claims about the effect of psychological profiling were.
    CA was quite sophisticated in what it did. The problem is that the politicians and the public don't understand what it did. It targeted people who were potential influencers rather than targeting everyone in their datasets.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Cummins, as usual, is way out of his depth on the subject. In a GE debate, the moderator had to tell him to "shut up" as he was acting like a spoilt brat and not allowing other candidates to speak. He makes O'Broin's stuff look very sensible plausible and is a diaster for FG on this matter.

CA was quite sophisticated in what it did. The problem is that the politicians and the public don't understand what it did. It targeted people who were potential influencers rather than targeting everyone in their datasets.

Regards...jmcc
    so Cambridge Analytical didn't overstate what it actual did/or what it could do? not at all? What I got from the Brittany Kaisers leaks is the got paid for work they didn't do.

• Advertisement

TJ McIntyre says in todays Examiner that most parties breach GDPR.

so Cambridge Analytical didn't overstate what it actual did/or what it could do? not at all? What I got from the Brittany Kaisers leaks is the got paid for work they didn't do.
    It seemed more like a full spectrum propaganda operation than simply a company that applied psychographic marketing techniques to politics and targeting opinion influencers in groups. The problem with whistleblowers after the fact is that it is difficult to tell if they are reinventing their own part in matters. The Wylie book is a counterbalance to some of her claims and goes into some detail on what CA was doing in a relatively non-technical manner. All companies engage in marketing hype though.

Regards...jmcc

This is the synopsis so far:

SF took a a copy of the electoral register from each constituency and made a digital copy of it, or got a 3rd party to do so. The electoral register is used by loads of marketing companies, State agencies, utility providers etc so all cool so far. I'd be disappointed if other political parties hadn't done so as well. Kudos to SF.

SF then used data extracted from Facebook groups, surveys, and targetted advertising to augment the electoral register with information on potential SF voters based on likes, comments, and all the usual shíte you actually agree to when you sign up for Facebook and other 'social media' services.

It's not great, but we all live in a world of targetted advertising, and I'd be surprised if that wasn't taking place with other parties to a lesser extent.

SF host the Abú database in Frankfurt. A nothing burger tbh. It's all very cloudy out there, and their 'instances' moved from London to Frankfurt in line with what most companies started doing as Brexit became a reality. They could have hosted in Ireland, but were using the Linode cloud service which doesn't have a presence in Ireland. Not worried about this at all.

Now we get down to the 'brass tacks' of the story. The Abú system is available to party activists. Do all party activists have access to all records despite who they are? Did the Data Protection Officer in SF ensure data was only made available to those who need to have access to it? Should someone in Donegal have access to the records of someone in Cork, and for what reasons?

Have those records been made available to activists outside the Irish State, and for what reason?

Finally, does the Abú database hold additional information on people above-and-beyond what was gathered using the electoral register and social media activity?

A simple example. A SF activist visited the door of John Q Taxpayer. John was watching Coronation Street, and was pissed off with having his door knocked upon, despite once having liked a post about housing that Eoin O Broin posted on Facebook. John told them he wasn't interested, and closed the door. What data was uploaded to the Abú system about that interaction?

Was there free text entered in the Abú system about that?

If so, then there's an enormous issue around privacy, and Philip Ryan is about to strike gold as a journalist.

who leaked about Abu to the Indo?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This is the synopsis so far:

SF took a a copy of the electoral register from each constituency and made a digital copy of it, or got a 3rd party to do so. The electoral register is used by loads of marketing companies, State agencies, utility providers etc so all cool so far. I'd be disappointed if other political parties hadn't done so as well. Kudos to SF.

SF then used data extracted from Facebook groups, surveys, and targetted advertising to augment the electoral register with information on potential SF voters based on likes, comments, and all the usual shíte you actually agree to when you sign up for Facebook and other 'social media' services.

It's not great, but we all live in a world of targetted advertising, and I'd be surprised if that wasn't taking place with other parties to a lesser extent.

SF host the Abú database in Frankfurt. A nothing burger tbh. It's all very cloudy out there, and their 'instances' moved from London to Frankfurt in line with what most companies started doing as Brexit became a reality. They could have hosted in Ireland, but were using the Linode cloud service which doesn't have a presence in Ireland. Not worried about this at all.

Now we get down to the 'brass tacks' of the story. The Abú system is available to party activists. Do all party activists have access to all records despite who they are? Did the Data Protection Officer in SF ensure data was only made available to those who need to have access to it? Should someone in Donegal have access to the records of someone in Cork, and for what reasons?

Have those records been made available to activists outside the Irish State, and for what reason?

Finally, does the Abú database hold additional information on people above-and-beyond what was gathered using the electoral register and social media activity?

A simple example. A SF activist visited the door of John Q Taxpayer. John was watching Coronation Street, and was pissed off with having his door knocked upon, despite once having liked a post about housing that Eoin O Broin posted on Facebook. John told them he wasn't interested, and closed the door. What data was uploaded to the Abú system about that interaction?

Was there free text entered in the Abú system about that?

If so, then there's an enormous issue around privacy, and Philip Ryan is about to strike gold as a journalist.

Pretty much an accurate summary. Only question I have is what gives Facebook the right to share personal information about their members with Sinn Fein?

Pretty much an accurate summary. Only question I have is what gives Facebook the right to share personal information about their members with Sinn Fein?

Capitalism, blanch. Services are free for the end user, but companies pay for the info coming out the other side. Profit is everything, so how that data is sold is an entirely other debate.

who leaked about Abu to the Indo?

Mole in the machine I'd imagine. Small, difficult to detect, and potentially very damaging.

Watched the Michelle O'Neill interview on the Late Late there, very good interview. Positive and respectful of her, given the last while.
    Refreshing to see what happens when you accord somebody the same respect you give to other interviewees of the same stature and don't treat it as a court room trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Watched the Michelle O'Neill interview on the Late Late there, very good interview. Positive and respectful of her, given the last while.
    Refreshing to see what happens when you accord somebody the same respect you give to other interviewees of the same stature and don't treat it as a court room trial.

You mean when you let them waffle on and don't question them on anything controversial?

• Advertisement

You mean when you let them waffle on and don't question them on anything controversial?

Such as Bish?

BTW, I'm comparing this interview on a non current affairs show/light entertainment and interviews given to other politicians of the same stature...party leaders etc. his isn't Prime Time.

I thought it didn't shirk controversial topics or pretend there aren't huge issues for a northern republican leader.

Advertisement