Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    People have a right to have their data protected. If Sinn Fein or any other party hold data on an individual which has not been consented to then whose responsibility is it to vindicate individual rights if not the authorities?

Who should investigate data protection if not “the authorities”.

Would you like it to be done in secret by an independent observer as with decommissioning?

Might as well be in secret as it seems the DPC doesn't act until tipped off.

We have seen on the other thread that the DPC is more or less 'reactive'. We don't actually know what other parties are doing or retaining either. And this investigation has sent some of them scurrying it seems.

I would like it done for all. A DPC actively doing their job and if government hasn't resourced them to do that, then they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

We have seen on the other thread that the DPC is more or less 'reactive'. We don't actually know what other parties are doing or retaining either. And this investigation has sent some of them scurrying it seems.

I would like it done for all. A DPC actively doing their job and if government hasn't resourced them to do that, then they should.

So what? Sinn Fein non compliance is the government’s fault for not resourcing the DPC adequately to prevent Sinn Fein non compliance?

Seems reasonable.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

So what? Sinn Fein non compliance is the government’s fault for not resourcing the DPC adequately to prevent Sinn Fein non compliance?

Seems reasonable.

Are you gonna deny that this has set a lot of scurrying off? The Irish Examiner reporting no party is in compliance?

It's a bigger issue than SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Are you gonna deny that this has set a lot of scurrying off? The Irish Examiner reporting no party is in compliance?

Its a thread about sinn fein? I don't think "Everybody else was doing it" is much of a defence - my ma wouldn't even accept that

Its a thread about sinn fein? I don't think "Everybody else was doing it" is much of a defence - my ma wouldn't even accept that

Well why was I responding to a post about the 'government' from Safesurfer, if it is about SF?

And it isn't a defence. If you wish to discuss the government's role then it is a bigger issue than one party as we now know from press reports. (which is how we know about Abu)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Same with the guards Francie. I was burgled a fortnight ago and the cops did not know and were not at my front door til I called them.

There is probably not an organization in the country that is in full compliance with GDPR.
    However other political parties are not running seminars on how to pinpoint individuals physical home address from their social media activity, cross referencing interactions with the party and collating this information on a database which you have previously claimed is available for every Sinn Fein member to access.

How would Ms. Murphy feel about her name and address appearing on the Abu database alongside a note that she approached a SF TD in relation to her autistic son and a local planning application and another note referencing that she liked and shared a Facebook post from Mary Lou Mc Donald.

She doesn’t mind because she doesn’t know this information is being collated and therein lies the problem.

There is probably not an organization in the country that is in full compliance with GDPR.
    However other political parties are not running seminars on how to pinpoint individuals physical home address from their social media activity, cross referencing interactions with the party and collating this information on a database which you have previously claimed is available for every Sinn Fein member to access.

How would Ms. Murphy feel about her name and address appearing on the Abu database alongside a note that she approached a SF TD in relation to her autistic son and a local planning application and another note referencing that she liked and shared a Facebook post from Mary Lou Mc Donald.

She doesn’t mind because she doesn’t know this information is being collated and therein lies the problem.

How do you know what other parties are doing? The DPC is not going to find out unless a complaint is made by the looks of things.

In other words, what you are saying is data is not protected, the DPC is penalising those who don't protect data, which if the press reports are true is not really good enough.

Same with the guards Francie. I was burgled a fortnight ago and the cops did not know and were not at my front door til I called them.

What? The Gardai do no preventative work? Who knew!

How do you know what other parties are doing? The DPC is not going to find out unless a complaint is made by the looks of things.

In other words, what you are saying is data is not protected, the DPC is penalising those who don't protect data, which if the press reports are true is not really good enough.

This isn’t some witch hunt against SF as you seem to want to portray it. The Abu database has come to light and legitimate questions are being asked about its content, purpose, funding etc.
    If similar information comes to light about comparable activity by other parties then that should be investigated too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

What? The Gardai do no preventative work? Who knew!

They never call to my door at all.

This isn’t some witch hunt against SF as you seem to want to portray it. The Abu database has come to light and legitimate questions are being asked about its content, purpose, funding etc.
    If similar information comes to light about comparable activity by other parties then that should be investigated too.

And SF may have issues here, as I said from the beginning.
    You made a point about the government, I replied.

They never call to my door at all.

Why are you burgling? :)

Try driving without insurance or tax...they are actively out looking for people have neither. The DPC is not out looking for people who are not compliant...they only seem to react...therefore 'Data Protection Commissioner' is a bit of a misnomer as they don't protect our data, they prosecute/penalise those they find who are not protecting our data. There is a difference.

'Protecting data' would require a much more robust, active DPC, to my mind.

Why are you burgling? :)

Try driving without insurance or tax...they are actively out looking for people have neither. The DPC is not out looking for people who are not compliant...they only seem to react...therefore 'Data Protection Commissioner' is a bit of a misnomer as they don't protect our data, they prosecute/penalise those they find who are not protecting our data. There is a difference.

'Protecting data' would require a much more robust, active DPC, to my mind.

More nonsensical deflection. Do you want the DPC to man checkpoints or stop people on the street and search their phones?

Have a look at their website or even Wikipedia if you are unsure of their role.

They investigate complaints and check for compliance. Most likely in a risk assessment basis like many other such organizations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

This is most definitely a witch-hunt against Sinn Féin by the Independent Newspaper Group.

Just read the headline here...

“Sinn Fein's failure to answer questions about secret cyber tactics ‘deeply sinister’, says Taoiseach”

The whole point is that every political party, including Sinn Féin should be queried about how they handle personal info they hold on people... but the spotlight is only being shone on SF and their sinister use of secret cyber tactics! Other political parties have spent the last week scurrying round taking down websites and changing info on it but this has not been covered by the main stream media at all. Meanwhile, despite Independent Newspapers knowing everything about the Abú system, they still can’t tell us anything really about it.

More nonsensical deflection. Do you want the DPC to man checkpoints or stop people on the street and search their phones?

Have a look at their website or even Wikipedia if you are unsure of their role.

They investigate complaints and check for compliance. Most likely in a risk assessment basis like many other such organizations.

No, that isn't what I want. I want 'Data Protected'.

It isn't being, by your own admission.
    SafeSurfer wrote:

One of the great consistencies of this crazy world is the 50 year belief by the IRA and SF that all the ‘Free State’ media have it out for them, especially Independent News and Media. This is despite at least 4 changes in ownership, 10’s of editors; and hundreds of journalists having worked there.

It’s why their online army have no hesitation in abusing and intimidating journalists; an activity that would be seen as deeply sinister in every democracy.

#notanormalparty

This is most definitely a witch-hunt against Sinn Féin by the Independent Newspaper Group.

Just read the headline here...

“Sinn Fein's failure to answer questions about secret cyber tactics ‘deeply sinister’, says Taoiseach”

The whole point is that every political party, including Sinn Féin should be queried about how they handle personal info they hold on people... but the spotlight is only being shone on SF and their sinister use of secret cyber tactics! Other political parties have spent the last week scurrying round taking down websites and changing info on it but this has not been covered by the main stream media at all. Meanwhile, despite Independent Newspapers knowing everything about the Abú system, they still can’t tell us anything really about it.

I’m sure if the online databases of other political parties which cross reference interactions with the party, information on name and address and social media activity are revealed their will be similar headlines.

The headline should in fact read , Senior SF politicians did answer questions about the sinister database but they turned out to be untrue.

I’m sure if the online databases of other political parties which cross reference interactions with the party, information on name and address and social media activity are revealed their will be similar headlines.

The headline should in fact read , Senior SF politicians did answer questions about the sinister database but they turned out to be untrue.

They said they believed they were compliant but the DPC pointed out they weren't in two areas, which they rectified.

They said they believed they were compliant but the DPC pointed out they weren't in two areas, which they rectified.

Don’t be selective now Francie. Did they not claim to be fully compliant in interview after interview?

• Advertisement

Don’t be selective now Francie. Did they not claim to be fully compliant in interview after interview?
    Our view is we’re fully compliant with the Data Protection Act of 2018,”

Were other political parties even asked??? It would seem the most obvious question as a follow up article...

Were other political parties even asked??? It would seem the most obvious question as a follow up article...

I’m sure if any online database existed in other parties it would have been revealed by now by Sinn Féin’s “digital army” of activists.

Aren’t Sinn Fein the only political party here with their own newspaper?

I’m sure if any online database existed in other parties it would have been revealed by now by Sinn Féin’s “digital army” of activists.

Why do you depend on others whistleblowers and journalists to reveal this stuff, given the history of the institutions of the power swap and what we know they got up to because of lack of regulation and reactive instead of active overseers.

At least they are all going into committee to be questioned on it.

Magazine format these days, Safe. They’ve toned down the rhetoric a bit as well. Hear Eoin ‘Feynman’ Ó Broin was a bit of a firebrand on its pages back in the early 00’s, but I’m not the sort to pay for archive access.

No, Fine Gael have the Indo.

Reform of the electoral register is much needed anyway, so lots of positives from this piece of public interest journalism from Philip Ryan.

No, Fine Gael have the Indo.

I went looking for Indo headlines because I remembered seeing them. I lost faith in the power swap after the 2016 election. But just look at the headlines they printed and stories they were running. They are for sale to the power swap, whenever the power swap is under threat, no doubt about it in my mind.

https://www.rabble.ie/2016/02/25/its-payback-time/

But but but the Indo...

• Advertisement

Why do you depend on others whistleblowers and journalists to reveal this stuff, given the history of the institutions of the power swap and what we know they got up to because of lack of regulation and reactive instead of active overseers.

At least they are all going into committee to be questioned on it.

Depend on whistleblowers and journalists to reveal this stuff?

Are you for real?

Maybe under Sinn Féin’s utopian new republic all wrongdoing will be detected but back in the real world that’s not how it works.

You are aware that most of the really important revelations come from whistleblowers and journalists are you not?

From Watergate to the beef or planning tribunals, the Dowra affair, the Lowry affair etc, etc, etc.

No amount of “active” oversight can eliminate all wrongdoing.

Even in the case of whistleblowers and reporting of wrongdoing, it may be ineffective if reported to the wrong people like the rape and child sex abuse reported to Gerry Adams and other members of Sinn Fein.

Advertisement