Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

All in the public realm since his first conviction. I'm sure the usual few will flog as much out of it as the can with the 'shinester SF' stuff. But seems to me they did what should have here when he turned out to be a bad one - got rid of him.

Problem Francie is,Is it? Do you mean when he was caught?
    SF internet minions dissing of MSM this past while may yet come back to haunt them
    I don't believe for 1 second a person decides to go criminal but says I better resign my party membership first
    Whether people believe a blind eye was turned prior is a job for tbe Sunday papers and you'd better hope they dont find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Hurrache wrote: »
    Apart from Francie Brady, who obviously has some for of virtual bat signal which calls him to every SF related thread from which he can't be stopped posting in vehement defence of them, despite claiming not to be a party member (or has that claim been dropped?)

ha ha too true.

Never voted for them, not a party member yet defends them at every turn.

we know there are many unsavory characters in SF. this is the issue many many people on this Island have.

You can have all the O'Broins you want, it doesn't matter. This is the reality and the natural outcome of being aligned with a group in the past (or present) that killed children in the name of freedom etc. Many of their group turned to other ways. We know this for a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Very Shinnerster stuff... it's kind of embarrassing that SF hop up and down shouting from the rooftops about Leo sharing a more-or-less public document with a GP union to achieve a deal, but are very sheepish and quiet (except for Francie, first time SF voter in 2020) when one of their former elected reps is accused of murder having being previously convicted of kidnapping and torture... really shows the stark contrast.

2017-05-03_new_30824544_I1.JPG

Not a normal party.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »
    There are questions to be answered. This isn't a drink-driving charge, or a burglary a decade after leaving the party.

He imprisoned and tortured a man in his home while still a member of the party (though having stepped down from his elected position citing "ill-health").

He then left in June 2015 and seven months later allegedly carried out a gangland murder.

It would be beyond naive to claim that he became involved in gangland crime only after leaving SF.

Reading between the lines, I suspect SF became aware of his connections not long after he was elected and began putting tremendous pressure on him from within to walk away.

It's time for SF to pull on the big boy pants and be honest here. "We didn't know he was a violent thug deeply embedded in gang crime" makes them look even worse, like a complete clown show with no vetting process at all.

If they continue with that line, then we know that the old murderer's club hasn't been disbanded and it's party over everything else.

So what you are saying basically that a political party is responsible for what somebody is doing in secret?

If the member is uncovered by means of undercover journalist activity, garda activity or whistleblower activity or tribunal/inquiry the party should have known first and taken action is your criticism?

Is this the bar you are setting?

So what you are saying basically that a political party is responsible for what somebody is doing in secret?

If the member is uncovered by means of undercover journalist activity, garda activity or whistleblower activity or tribunal/inquiry then that the party should have known first and taken action?

Do you ever stop?

Like seriously?

Christ almighty man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

When did this lad resign? Having scumbags associated with any party isn't a good look and Sinn Fein need to address it. I say that as a Sinn Fein supporter. They need to understand a vote isn't earned and not guaranteed. We suffered that type of thinking from the other parties for too long now.

Very Shinnerster stuff... it's kind of embarrassing that SF hop up and down shouting from the rooftops about Leo sharing a more-or-less public document with a GP union to achieve a deal, but are very sheepish and quiet (except for Francie, first time SF voter in 2020) when one of their former elected reps is accused of murder having being previously convicted of kidnapping and torture... really shows the stark contrast.

2017-05-03_new_30824544_I1.JPG

Not a normal party.

Careful now Mary Lou will sue.

Its too true what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Not long since the media pile on running articles about his claims of being bullied out of the party:rolleyes:

smurgen wrote: »
    When did this lad resign? Having scumbags associated with any party isn't a good look and Sinn Fein need to address it. I say that as a Sinn Fein supporter. They need to understand a vote isn't earned and not guaranteed. We suffered that type of thinking from the other parties for too long now.

I'd agree here.

SF did well to divorce themselves from this guy. Mary Lou was clear unequivocal about the separation in 2017, will stand to her now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Just think. This lad and the others still in Sinn Fein like him had access to the Abu system (or it's predecessor) and all the information Sinn Fein gather on their supporters and more importantly their opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

smurgen wrote: »

Steady now.... that attitude will clear out half the heavy hitters.

If the member is uncovered by means of undercover journalist activity, garda activity or whistleblower activity or tribunal/inquiry the party should have known first and taken action is your criticism?

https://www.thejournal.ie/mary-lou-jonathan-dowdall-sinn-fein-2191408-Jul2015/

McDonald worked closely with Dowdall prior to his departure earlier this year and insisted today that she had always had a “very good relationship” with the former north inner city councillor.

Dowdall had previously resigned last September claiming he had been the subject of “negative rumours” from a small element within the party.

I wonder what the negative rumours were???

SF and Mary Lou welcomed him back in to the fold after his first retirement that September.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, but the party have to be transparent about and accountable for what they knew at the time.

I am sure that if another party had a member or former member charged with an illegal activity that you would demand the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Can we get an article that clarifies Sinn Fein removed him and he didnt quit himself? All articles i've seen suggest the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

this is bad. really bad.

McDonald worked closely with Dowdall prior to his departure earlier this year and insisted today that she had always had a “very good relationship” with the former north inner city councillor.

Dowdall had previously resigned last September claiming he had been the subject of “negative rumours” from a small element within the party.

SF and Mary Lou welcomed him back in to the fold after his first retirement that September.

Clearly a mistake - see her opinion in 2017 Paddy...tiz the most current one I can find.

Guy bleats about being bullied, he is believed...the dangers of believing allegations surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

(except for Francie, first time SF voter in 2020)

:D

Hope you had your wheetabix this morning Francie!

The information about a very good relationship with him certainly is challenging for Mary-Lou. Hardly something that she can whitewash.

It is not something that he is claiming without evidence, it is something that has been confirmed by her.

touts wrote: »
    Just think. This lad and the others still in Sinn Fein like him had access to the Abu system (or it's predecessor) and all the information Sinn Fein gather on their supporters and more importantly their opponents.

Quite a Shinnester angle that. Imagine gangsters like him having access to canvassing information like "householder confirmed he would be abroad and won't be voting".

One of the key Data Protection considerations is the potential for abuse. This Abu database seems ripe for it.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Can we get an article that clarifies Sinn Fein removed him and he didnt quit himself? All articles i've seen suggest the latter

Connolly House on meltdown trying to put out fires.

As was said’ Lot of slates being lifted here’

Bad day in Parnell Sq.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    No, but the party have to be transparent about and accountable for what they knew at the time.

I am sure that if another party had a member or former member charged with an illegal activity that you would demand the same.

I don't expect any other party to know what somebody is up to in secret blanch.

If a councillor is caught taking bribes, or being corrupt, i don't expect the leadership to have known he was.

That's bull****. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A political party is responsible for the character of those they place up for election, those they spend ad money on, those whose faces they put in the national media.

If that individual later turns out to be a serious criminal; be that child molestor, gun runner, drug dealer, murder; the party is answerable for platforming such an individual and must respond to the question of how much they knew about it, and what steps they took when they did find out.

Sinn Féin can claim they knew nothing, but only the most gullible will believe it.

Sinn Féin, the party who pride themselves as "fixers" when someone has a problem with local heavies, who "know a few lads with a van and baseball bats", somehow missing that Dowdall was well-connected with gangland crime, just isn't believeable.

I'd agree here.

SF did well to divorce themselves from this guy. Mary Lou was clear unequivocal about the separation in 2017, will stand to her now.

Do you have a link to this? He resigned from Sinn Fein, not the other way around.

Your statement is more than a little disingenuous.

The information about a very good relationship with him certainly is challenging for Mary-Lou. Hardly something that she can whitewash.

It is not something that he is claiming without evidence, it is something that has been confirmed by her.

For sure, said at the time when there were "negative rumours" from SF members in the north inner city. I'm sure she would have heard what these rumours were. I wonder if they were about the close links between Dowdall and the Hutch organised crime group? Hopefully SF can clear up what they knew at the time.

As someone earlier pointed out, it's quite scary that SF members like him would have access to the Abú system. Scarier thought of them having access to the files held by the Dept of Justice or An Garda if they were in power though.

:D

Hope you had your wheetabix this morning Francie!

:pac: classic

there's not enough weetabix in the World for Francie to dig SF out of this one.

Was anyone at the Seamus McElwaine celebration last night?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dup-hit-out-at-sinn-fein-eulogy-for-dangerous-ira-killer-seamus-mcelwain-40359507.html

It is incredulous to see an elected TD refer to someone who conducted heinous acts in living memory as "Séamus is still held in huge esteem, very fondly remembered by all who knew him and by a new generation of people from Co Monaghan and Fermanagh and by Irish republicans of all ages."

Arlene Foster, in contrast states "he is remembered locally as an evil and sectarian killer."

Given the division that the man caused and causes, surely any celebration of his life is unnecessarily provocative and hurtful to his living victims.

For sure, said at the time when there were "negative rumours" from SF members in the north inner city. I'm sure she would have heard what these rumours were. I wonder if they were about the close links between Dowdall and the Hutch organised crime group? Hopefully SF can clear up what they knew at the time.

As someone earlier pointed out, it's quite scary that SF members like him would have access to the Abú system. Scarier thought of them having access to the files held by the Dept of Justice or An Garda if they were in power though.

Thats part of the whole point isn't it. There is genuine concern from real state actors about all the implications if a SF government comes to pass. until they clean house all those fears aren't even up for debate. You have a party where actual members and supporters don't recognize our army for instance. Mad stuff really.

A quick pursue of the ganglands thread will throw up alot more stuff. Other links etc.

I live in this area bout two minutes from ML's office. My Granny had a shop two doors down. Anybody who knows the area knows who lives where etc. Its the heartland of the old brigade and what came after. Not saying they are linked but their paths cross all the time. SF do great work for the local community granted, but its definitely going to create conflicts of interest if a SF government comes to power. SF want their cake. They want the middle classs vote, the working class vote, the students, the Old Republican, the current Republican, and so forth. Its going to be impossible for them to square that circle as long as these elements exist.

Do you have a link to this? He resigned from Sinn Fein, not the other way around.

What’s even more worrying is how people like this slide in under the radar as a councilor, a position of responsibility, with access to a lot of private information, and photographed with national figures.

Gives them an aura of respectability.

How many more of these are swilling around the trenches??

Very serious situation here....

I don't expect any other party to know what somebody is up to in secret blanch.

If a councillor is caught taking bribes, or being corrupt, i don't expect the leadership to have known he was.

That's bull****. :)

So glad to have established your principles on this.

It means that if a party member is found by a court to have leaked a confidential document, there is no blame attaching to the party. It also means that if a party member or TD secretly doesn't pay their taxes, there is no blame to the party.

Get up the yard with that. You know that you are applying the one rule for SF, different rule for everyone else approach.

• Advertisement

Yeh he did, having got back into the party because of a media stink about SF forcing him out.

Allegations of 'bullying' made against SF believed without any grounds...when have we seen that happen before. :):)

Mary Lou as a TD commented on his conviction, she welcomed the conviction and condemned the crime.
    MLMD wrote:
    “I welcome the conviction of Jonathan Dowdall in court today. The details of the attack perpetrated by him are deeply shocking. I hope the sentence delivered by the court reflects the seriousness of the offence and the trauma endured by his victim.

Advertisement