Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Sinn Fein has admitted that bullying was a problem in the party. Are you now denying this?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

fvp4 wrote: »
    They will get in because an entire generation don’t think they will ever afford a house. Most of these aren’t flag wavers.

Yes, it's very cynical how SF is promising they'll magically fix the housing crisis just to appeal to voters, whilst their housing spokesperson is busy objecting to local development in his back yard.

Yes, it's very cynical how SF is promising they'll magically fix the housing crisis just to appeal to voters, whilst their housing spokesperson is busy objecting to local development in his back yard.

When did anyone promise to fix the housing problem by allowing unsustainable, inappropriate development?

You can have solutions you know, without just giving a pass to any development.

The Sinn Fein bullying must have been pretty severe if someone convicted of torturing and threatening to kill another person and also videoing it, was intimidated by it.

How come the independent couldn’t investigate why this guy was “bullied”. The fact is they sided with this alleged murderer.

This is such a lack of investigative journalism that’s beyond belief. If SF did in fact kick him out when they found out about the criminality, and the independent waded in without any investigation it’s shoddy journalism, if they knew or suspected his involvement (and it’s a small country) then it’s ideological.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Marco23d wrote: »
    The independent is the most biased and unfair newspaper in Europe they are completely against Sinn Fein especially and overwhelmingly during elections.

Ever since Michael Collins sent the boys round to smash up the place for talking bad about the IRA they have been so far up FGs ass it's not even funny and probably to large extent controlled by Fine Gael.

Two daft statements in one post.

If you think the Independent is the most biased and unfair newspaper in Europe you haven’t read many other European newspapers.

You are decrying the newspaper’s bias while earlier in the thread recommending the use of violence to influence the newspaper.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

Yeh. That would be a good vector of attack. Stick to that one. GDPR isn’t going to cut it.

Sinn Fein has admitted that bullying was a problem in the party. Are you now denying this?

Bad argument if they were bullying a known criminal to kick him out.

How come the independent couldn’t investigate why this guy was “bullied”. The fact is they sided with this alleged murderer.

This is such a lack of investigative journalism that’s beyond belief. If SF did in fact kick him out when they found out about the criminality, and the independent waded in without any investigation it’s shoddy journalism, if they knew or suspected his involvement (and it’s a small country) then it’s ideological.

It's not 'shoddy journalism' it is dangerous journalism. The fact is the Indo was more interested in piling-on than the truth of the matter.

Bad argument if they were bullying a known criminal to kick him out.

Are you suggesting that all the bullying of a Sinn Fein members was to remove criminals from the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It's not 'shoddy journalism' it is dangerous journalism. The fact is the Indo was more interested in piling-on than the truth of the matter.

I've never read an issue on An Phoblacht... how did they report on it?

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I've never read an issue on An Phoblacht... how did they report on it?

You are comparing a so called independent newspaper to a political party publication? Really?

:)

Don’t rewrite history. Sinn Fein did not “kick him out”.
    He resigned was then welcomed back into Sinn Fein and resigned again.

Don’t criticise shoddy journalism in the same post you in which you misrepresent the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I made no mention of a comparison.

Just wondering how the party publication reported on it.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I made no mention of a comparison.

Just wondering how the party publication reported on it.

Ever heard of google?

I'll have a guess at how they 'reported' it though if you wish...I don't think it would be too hard to guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

When did anyone promise to fix the housing problem by allowing unsustainable, inappropriate development?

You can have solutions you know, without just giving a pass to any development.

this doesn't wash when its nearly every single development....

starkid wrote: »
    this doesn't wash when its nearly every single development....

Eoin O'Broin 'objects to almost every single development'?

Ok. :)

Heavens
    Are we back to But but but the Indo again*

*Please don't reply with but but but the IRA given what we are talking about here..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

seamus wrote: »
    A political party is responsible for the character of those they place up for election, those they spend ad money on, those whose faces they put in the national media.

What about the FG senator who shoved a chocolate bar up someones arse?

Heavens
    Are we back to But but but the Indo again*

*Please don't reply with but but but the IRA given what we are talking about here..

Yeh, I wish someone for once could come up with a specific thing SF did wrong here.

this guy turned out to be a nasty bit of work...those on the ground were obviously talking about him (the rumours...alleged bullying) he left and then after a media pile-on SF allowed him back and then Gardai discovered the video tapes sealing his fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

???

What the hell? SF are responsible for what somebody does long after leaving the party?

Are you having a laff?

You are right. He left fully 354 days before the alleged incident. That is a lifetime in politics and his link to SF is null and void as a result.

The other thing to remember here is that this is a charge, not a conviction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeh, I wish someone for once could come up with a specific thing SF did wrong here.
    I suppose it's more the general stench of murderous scumbaggery which clings to the party and everything it touches like cheap cologne

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Obviously SF has something to answer here. However why was the media, the Indo in particular, championing this guy. Were people using him as an example of SF bullying early on in this thread? Genuine question as this thread is something I only rarely pop into.

Did the Independent not check out on the guy? Was he being bullied because of his criminal activities?

Are you saying that there isn't a culture of bullying in Sinn Fein?

We have the Derry situation in the last day being just the latest in a very very long list of examples. If Dowdall was the only one claiming bullying, it might be relevant, but he wasn't and it is continuing right to this day.

this guy turned out to be a nasty bit of work...those on the ground were obviously talking about him (the rumours...alleged bullying) he left and then after a media pile-on SF allowed him back and then Gardai discovered the video tapes sealing his fate.

So, what you are telling us is that Sinn Fein are likely to succumb to media pressure even if the person behind it is a murderer and torturer? Doesn't that make them complete wimps? They couldn't stand up to a principle of not having murderers and torturers in their party and a little bit of media pressure and they caved.

Every time you post, you seem to make Sinn Fein look worse as a result.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    What about the FG senator who shoved a chocolate bar up someones arse?

You even started the post with "What about". Classic. :D:D:D

blanch152 wrote: »
    So, what you are telling us is that Sinn Fein are likely to succumb to media pressure even if the person behind it is a murderer and torturer? Doesn't that make them complete wimps? They couldn't stand up to a principle of not having murderers and torturers in their party and a little bit of media pressure and they caved.

Every time you post, you seem to make Sinn Fein look worse as a result.

:):) Who did he murder and torture before the bullying stuff blanch?

Gas man! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

you're beyond help.

We know exactly what SF did wrong.

Are we going to pretend the IRA got out of the game post Good Friday? They know that many of their members have "connections". Ones they maintain were all in the name of being the good guy. The lines get blurred when the lads continue diesel laundering and killing well after the Good Friday agreement however. yeah yeah i know its not Sf right. Its just their old mates in the IRA, which had nothing to do with them.

And if we can connect the dots the father is old school. Again not SF right. Just a guy they admire.

This is the price to be paid. there's always going to be unsavory characters linked with SF because of who and what they represent. At least have the good grace to admit it. People like myself would actually say fair ****s SF if they came clean and fully transparent and owned that stuff.

But having tenuous links with all sorts is the choice SF made years ago. There's not much they can do so in a way i don't blame them. I just wish they'd be honest about it. that's the bit many of us find which is wrong.

Nearly half the Hutch family lives yards from ML's office. Most likely shes their local rep so fair dues its democratic. But its part of the blurred lines many of us are uncomfortable with. Another reps cousin is the big fish on the other side. Again nothing can be done about all this but when the party has links to old school IRA men many of whom transitioned into regular crime then it gets all sorts of blurry. I mean Irelands a tiny country and Dublin is a goldfish bowl.

starkid wrote: »
    you're beyond help.

We know exactly what SF did wrong.

Are we going to pretend the IRA got out of the game post Good Friday? They know that many of their members have "connections". Ones they mantain were all in the name of being the good guy. The lines get blurred when the lads continue diesel laundering and killing well after the Good Friday agreement however.

And if we can connect the dots the father is old school.

This is the price to be paid. there's always going to be unsavory characters linked with SF because of who and what they are. At least have the good grace to admit it. People like myself would actually say fair ****s SF if they came clean and fully transparent.

The hypocrisy is strong in Irish politics.

Remember...I am one of those who used to vote for one or other of the power swap parties.

I did that with the full knowledge that they had their line-up of crooks, and corruption and were associated with conflict/war and it's aftermath.

Not being a member of any party this is what you do when you vote for any party rep...which is actually all I did. I voted for Matt Carthy this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

It very interesting that it was Dowdall that was chosen to drive the Monk up North to return the AKs used in the hit.

Presumably he was well known to the good republicans who provided the firearms. I'm sure he didn't develop those links in the few months after he left the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

RTE news : Former Sinn Féin councillor charged with Regency murder

http://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0427/1212323-david-byrne-murder/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You are right. He left fully 354 days before the alleged incident. That is a lifetime in politics and his link to SF is null and void as a result.

The other thing to remember here is that this is a charge, not a conviction.

This is wrong.

I remember when this all popped up years ago SF supporters claiming what you are.

I remember digging up dates and timelines which shows he was still in SF at the time.

I'll do it again later.

Advertisement