Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Very easy to sit up on the high moral ground when you are not calling corruption, bribery of officials and other nefarious carry on 'organised'.

Well said. I presume this perception of corruption is why you changed your vote away from FG? SF must not have yet fallen below the high standard you have set to earn your vote? Are they getting close though?

You may need a SocDem running in CavMon the next time so you can preserve your record of only 'voting clean'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah fair play to SF though, many parties would not touched a young well to do businessman from the NIC with a barge pole just because he was related to Gerry Hutch and rumours were floating around about where he was making his money.

SF though, gave him, and his cash, a chance. Okay, he turned out to gangland scumbag but how were SF to know? Its not like they'd have access to lads that can do intensive security checks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

markodaly wrote: »
    Have SF released a statement yet?

The optics of this is terrible. The longer they leave it the worse it will get for them.
    Full transparency needed if they want to be taken seriously as a party of Government.

Honestly I don't think it will have any bearing. Presumably people who vote SF already know what they were getting.

Very easy to sit up on the high moral ground when you are not calling corruption, bribery of officials and other nefarious carry on 'organised'.

It’s not the high ground, Francie. It’s just not dwelling in the murky depths of the SF pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Honestly I don't think it will have any bearing. Presumably people who vote SF already know what they were getting.

In some cases yes, in many cases no. There has been a real drive by SF to court younger voters with stances on marriage equality, the Irish language, 8th repeal, and of course housing. The soft-socially-conscious types who buy the hype about elites, justice and rights etc.
    How this type of episode plays with that type remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I think many turned to Sinn Fein because they were wanted an alternative to FG/FF/Labour etc. People weren't thinking of morals, people were thinking of their own pocket.

Must have been some level of bullying to remove a water boarder and accomplice to murder from a political party.

You wouldn’t get it in the Greens I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Must have been some level of bullying to remove a water boarder and accomplice to murder from a political party.

You wouldn’t get it in the Greens I’d say.

The Greens would most likely admonish them for wasting the water :D

The Greens would most likely admonish them for wasting the water :D

The twine used to tie him his victim up was biodegradable though. :pac:

It got a bit lost in the crossfire (if you’ll pardon the pun), but what’s the story with SF up in Derry? Getting rid of the entire party structure up there is it?
    I know they’ve had a terrible run of elections up there and that the SDLP are eating their dinner, but is there more to the story than meets the eye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Just had a listen Tto Dowdall on the Joe Duffy show few years back.

Good jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Well said. I presume this perception of corruption is why you changed your vote away from FG? SF must not have yet fallen below the high standard you have set to earn your vote? Are they getting close though?

You may need a SocDem running in CavMon the next time so you can preserve your record of only 'voting clean'

Amazing how morally puritan some folks can get on some things, Lemon.

And then adopt a totally different attitude on other issues, some might suggest a lot more serious.

Has me bet into a cocked hat, so it has.

Cannot understand it at all, so I can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

lou1980 wrote: »
    Not solid no. But its definitely on its way to the surface its bubbling at the moment and to take an educated guess on all dirty washing usually gets aired eventually I've a feeling some concrete evidence is on its way. Which will be such a shame if it does. Because the recovery won't go well.
    So you admit you’ve no evidence of what you said whatsoever but you’re going to say it because you “have a feeling” some evidence is on the way? Great, that’s just great.

And if this evidence never appears, that really doesn’t matter does it, you’ve said it anyway and that’s all that matters to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Good jaysus.

What did he say, what was he talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The Shinners are very much against the Special Criminal Court......eh?

Becoming clearer now........uhmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Good jaysus.

Any link to that?

SF had links to both sides in that gangland feud. Like close links. No six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

They really do operate down at that sort of level don’t they?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

seamus wrote: »
    There are questions to be answered. This isn't a drink-driving charge, or a burglary a decade after leaving the party.

He imprisoned and tortured a man in his home while still a member of the party (though having stepped down from his elected position citing "ill-health").

He then left in June 2015 and seven months later allegedly carried out a gangland murder.

It would be beyond naive to claim that he became involved in gangland crime only after leaving SF.

Reading between the lines, I suspect SF became aware of his connections not long after he was elected and began putting tremendous pressure on him from within to walk away.

It's time for SF to pull on the big boy pants and be honest here. "We didn't know he was a violent thug deeply embedded in gang crime" makes them look even worse, like a complete clown show with no vetting process at all.

If they continue with that line, then we know that the old murderer's club hasn't been disbanded and it's party over everything else.

I think the problem for them is that if they do this its like tugging at a loose thread on a jumper, the whole thing will unravel.

They could be in a situation where answering questions just leads to more questions for them to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

SF had links to both sides in that gangland feud. Like close links. No six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

They really do operate down at that sort of level don’t they?

There's credible suggestions that MTK money from the Kinihan cartel is used to fund SF. SF MP, John Finucane helped Daniel Kinahan threaten to sue Irish newspapers. Then the bizarre claims by Kinahan that FG set up the Regency.

It's all very Shinnester. Murky murky stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think many turned to Sinn Fein because they were wanted an alternative to FG/FF/Labour etc. People weren't thinking of morals, people were thinking of their own pocket.

People were thinking of no more corruption, no more brown envelopes, no more mates or families getting lucrative contracts, no more cosy links to big builders.

A good example of mates or families getting lucrative contracts is CPL which is owned by the sister in law of Jennifer Carroll MacNeill a FG TD.

Thats why I voted SF for the first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

skimpydoo wrote: »
    People were thinking of no more corruption, no more brown envelopes, no more mates or families getting lucrative contracts, no more cosy links to big builders.

A good example of mates or families getting lucrative contracts is CPL which is owned by the sister in law of Jennifer Carroll MacNeill a FG TD.

And this is somehow better......?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

There's credible suggestions that MTK money from the Kinihan cartel is used to fund SF. SF MP, John Finucane helped Daniel Kinahan threaten to sue Irish newspapers. Then the bizarre claims by Kinahan that FG set up the Regency.

It's all very Shinnester. Murky murky stuff.

SF helped to host the Conlon fight and gave MTK the VIP treatment in Belfast.

Also, a cousin (1st I think) of Kinahan is a SF councillor in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

MadYaker wrote: »
    And this is somehow better......?

So you agree with what went on in the past and is still going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gimme some brown envelopes and all that any day of the week over what SF would bring on!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Eoin O' Broinn's wife, and SF Senator Lynn Boylan is a cousin of Kinahan's as well I believe.

Weird.

I'm related to a TD (not a SF one) through marriage Paddy and my cousin is a Green party councillor...what does it all mean?...weird. Shinister shinster! :)

I'm related to a TD (not a SF one) through marriage Paddy and my cousin is a Green party councillor...what does it all mean?...weird. Shinister shinster! :)

Pretty obvious really. Who benefits from abolishing the SCC? Daniel Kinahan and "Good Republicans".

jh79 wrote: »

Whats this "documentary" Mr Doyle speaks of?

FG behind the Regency? I gotta here this one.

Im imagining Simpsons "Rock Bottom" -esque reporting.

"Stay back Mr Varadkar....stop....no, no, ...NOOOOO!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jh79 wrote: »
    Pretty obvious really. Who benefits from abolishing the SCC? Daniel Kinahan and "Good Republicans".

Ask Amnesty International and Mary Robinson, former president and somebody who more than a litttle knowledge of human rights matters whose stature would benefit if we got rid of 'special' courts.

Advertisement