Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

It would be extremely unwise for any politician to comment on the specifics of an ongoing murder case, even more so following the unexplained collapse of a previous trial relating to that incident.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Didn't defend them on so many things...most recently...the funeral and the GDPR probable issues.

I just love the pile-ons and the hypocrisies walshb and I love reacting to them. Because they are political one-upmanship in the main.

Fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Not all parties are connected to murders though.

Watch how I debate these issues and you might get a handle on where I stand.

If a political party condones or supports a member found to have done wrong or who has confessed to wrongdoing and doesn't sanction them...then it is ok to say that is what that party stands for.

All you are doing here lads and lassies is throwing dirt hoping some of it will stick and shure if it doesn't then the insinuations will do damage. Old as the hills as a political strategy...I think even the Shinners would do a bit of it too.

Without some evidence it gets boring fast and the public tire of it too...see the last election campaign. SO by all means keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I thought they were an effective opposition party and did the work that is supposed to be done in committee - calling people to account.

Made mistakes too, but overall they were worth a vote.

You mean - effective at hurling from the ditch.
    Yet so effective that they managed to stay out of the NI Executive for three years.
    But that's only a minor mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

I just think it is great fun to debate with the shinister spinners tbh.

SF will have to work just as hard for my vote next time as they did the last time.

Good one Francie.

It would set a world record for cognitive dissonance for a person to make 30 to 50 posts a day over months on end defending every SF foible and then turn around and not vote for them

• Advertisement

Yet so effective that they managed to stay out of the NI Executive for three years.

:) can you name an opposition in the history of the planet that cannot have the 'hurling from the ditch' tag hurled at them.

Anything more original than that old trope Jimmy?

If a political party condones or supports a member found to have done wrong or who has confessed to wrongdoing and doesn't sanction them...then it is ok to say that is what that party stands for.
    The party has moved on yes but it's a tightrope of association
    The Queen of England's late husband and Son was able to make up with SF over MtBatten, as was Paisley Snr,so the attacks on SF veneration of IRA volunteers is not cutting it with me
    But Jesus,couldn't they be a bit quieter about it when victims are still alive?

This current problem with gangland crime association and a murder was and is a major mis step
    You guys are not immune from pulling the rug out from under yourselves
    This will be on and off and on newspaper stands in every corner shop for quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

:) can you name an opposition in the history of the planet that cannot have the 'hurling from the ditch' tag hurled at them.

Jimmy put his finger on it Francie. Opposition parties may commonly be accused of sideline pucking, but deliberately absenting oneselves from the responsibilities and compromises of senior hurling is a sure confirmation of the charge.

I can't read the article.

But I wonder at what point people will get over the fact that not all parties doe things the same way. Some reserve the right to over rule the membership in a vote for leader for example.

There's a huge difference between a transparent democratic structure to do things and a pretend way. The simple fact is that Gerry being in charge for decades is more comparable to how Putin, Mao, the Kims run parties than those in the US, France, UK.

Can't even name comparable individuals in western democracies.
    At what point should we accept that SF is run on the same hierarchical basis that the IRA was?
    No debates on who was in charge of the IRA = no debates on who is in charge of SF.

The party has moved on yes but it's a tightrope of association
    The Queen of England's late husband and Son was able to make up with SF over MtBatten, as was Paisley Snr,so the attacks on SF veneration of IRA volunteers is not cutting it with me
    But Jesus,couldn't they be a bit quieter about it when victims are still alive?

This current problem with gangland crime association and a murder was and is a major mis step
    You guys are not immune from pulling the rug out from under yourselves
    This will be on and off and on newspaper stands in every corner shop for quite a while

Said it before and I'll say it again...if any country in the world has to find a way to remember it's dead, it is this one.

• Advertisement

I actually can't - it's firmly Sinn Fein territory. Can you?

There's a huge difference between a transparent democratic structure to do things and a pretend way. The simple fact is that Gerry being in charge for decades is more comparable to how Putin, Mao, the Kims run parties than those in the US, France, UK.

Can't even name comparable individuals in western democracies.
    At what point should we accept that SF is run on the same hierarchical basis that the IRA was?
    No debates on who was in charge of the IRA = no debates on who is in charge of SF.

SF should be more transparent, but the fact they aren't doesn't mean they are not democratic. Not too long ago saying you were a member of SF could get you a lot of grief and intimidation/surveilance or even shot (as many were)

Keeping stuff internal would be a natural result of that. Probably take another generation to rid the party of that.

I actually can't - it's firmly Sinn Fein territory. Can you?

:) It's a function of opposition...you are essentially 'hurling on a ditch' you can only call to account, you cannot implement change. Need I go on?

Every opposition in history..anywhere can be called 'hurlers on the ditch'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This will, rightly, do serious damage to that vote SF got at the last election.

Most voters don't do gangland murder.

Was the Abú system around when Johnny Dowdall was an elected representative of SF? Or his fellow party activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A former Sinn Fein elected representative is charged with a murder in which the guns were supplied by the Real IRA. Just how close are the links between Sinn Fein and the Real IRA?

SF supporters would argue their are in opposition but it seems they also cooperate.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Said it before and I'll say it again...if any country in the world has to find a way to remember it's dead, it is this one.

Well find another way untill relatives and friends have passed
    Its just not on to be honoring the shooter of Arlene fosters father regardless of politics in such a look at us manner and the following day gangland crime associations on every corner shop news stand
    A little cop on :)

Well find another way untill relatives and friends have passed
    Its just not on to be honoring the shooter of Arlene fosters father regardless of politics in such a look at us manner and the following day gangland crime associations on every corner shop news stand
    A little cop on :)

Oh, he was convicted of shooting Arlene's father? Must have missed that court case.

Matt Carthy comes from the Pearse Doherty school of politics - lots of hot air, righteous indignation, and paper waving, but with very little substance behind it. Shouting isn’t leadership.

Oh, he was convicted of shooting Arlene's father? Must have missed that court case.

I don't care who he shot,you shouldnt either but its interesting that you know straight away...
    Point is,level of cop on low
    Rug pulling high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

:) It's a function of opposition...you are essentially 'hurling on a ditch' you can only call to account, you cannot implement change. Need I go on?

Every opposition in history..anywhere can be called 'hurlers on the ditch'.

But modern day contemporary SF have been doing nothing but ditch hurling!!!

They are a different breed of ditch hurling..

Completely anti everything any govt are pro!

I don't care who he shot,you shouldnt either but its interesting that you know straight away...
    Point is,level of cop on low
    Rug pulling high

Or they won't play the sanctimonious pretend game?

They are proud of those who fought, as we here are proud of those who fought for our freedoms and independence, and as Unionists are proud of those who fought for them.

I only hear SF being asked not to honour or remember their dead but to supplicate themselves in apology and shame for fear of offending Unionists.

I think we have to come up with a better realistic way to remember the dead. I don't object t people remembering their dead on any side.

This lad was a sectarian serial killer like Lenny Murphy. They don’t deserve commemorations, especially from politicians.

Absolutely tone deaf as usual. Plays well to their core audience but repulses normal people.

They are proud of those who fought, as we here are proud of those who fought for our freedoms and independence, and as Unionists are proud of those who fought for them.

I only hear SF being asked not to honour or remember their dead but to supplicate themselves in apology and shame for fear of offending Unionists.

I think we have to come up with a better realistic way to remember the dead. I don't object t people remembering their dead on any side.

Yes thats why you've so convincingly convinced unionists to vote SF :)
    Breathtaking levels of we are more importantness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I wouldn't be happy with a unionist party being in the Dail either.

And if a Unionist politician attended the funeral of a UVF member people would call them out for it, and rightly so.

Scumbags will always be able to find reasons to justify their behavior. The regency murder was a reprisal for the assassination of the Real IRA leader. This sort of slimey tit-for-tat is nothing new for republican criminals. The UVF I'm sure peddle some ****e about protecting their people or homeland, but thankfully they are only Northern Ireland's burden, for the moment at least.

Yes thats why you've so convincingly convinced unionists to vote SF :)
    Breathtaking levels of we are more importantness

Why would I be trying to convince unionists to vote SF? :confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Marco23d

I'm lost completely, for years the regency murder was supposed to have been to do with the Kinahan hutch feud and now all of a sudden it's the real IRA/New IRA.

What's changed?

I wouldn't be happy with a unionist party being in the Dail either.

And if a Unionist politician attended the funeral of a UVF member people would call them out for it, and rightly so.

Scumbags will always be able to find reasons to justify their behavior. The regency murder was a reprisal for the assassination of the Real IRA leader. This sort of slimey tit-for-tat is nothing new for republican criminals. The UVF I'm sure peddle some ****e about protecting their people or homeland, but thankfully they are only Northern Ireland's burden, for the moment at least.

Unionists attend the funerals of ex BA ex Uda ex UVF etc all the time. They also celebrate and remember their dead.

We do it here too, remembering those who fought against unionists and killed them just as profoundly as they did us.
    Sf remember their dead too.

Nobody has the right to say you cannot remember your dead, don't be ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Marco23d

2 years ago there was news stories about this person torturing someone, why is this going to hurt Sinn Fein anymore than it did then?

And judging by the last election it didn't hurt them at all.

• Advertisement

Why would I be trying to convince unionists to vote SF? :confused::confused:

You know exactly what I mean
    Its an end to sectarianism
    Current strategy on that is rug pulling high

Advertisement