Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,857 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Grand so, the database constructed by Sinn Fein is unique.

So you were talking ****e about the consequences. Ok. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well I asked on the other thread why, if the data is properly protected, that should be a huge problem?

The world is changing, parties did this type of thing before in ad hoc ways, why hinder them if the intention is to use it for electoral purposes.

Not getting into that debate here, just saying I wouldn't have a huge issue with it, if handled properly.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/data-protection-commissioner-makes-first-public-comments-sincesinn-fein-secret-abu-database-40365649.html

I have posted this several times already.

"Ms Dixon said there was a ruling from the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in 2016, in which the Judge Advocate General said that “it's these large data sets that are of primary importance, and the primary purpose of data protection law. It’s the reason why it's of primordial importance.”"

"Ms Dixon said “in the hypothetical scenario” presented by Mr Ward it is “difficult to imagine what legal basis any data controller would have to create a centralised database from varied sources without the knowledge of data subjects”."

Pretty clear that this is a problem unique to Sinn Fein and a problem that is different to the old ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ah here, you tell us that you are a journalist. I don't know what kind of journalism it is, but it mustn't be in any technical area, as anyone with the slightest knowledge of GDPR would know that it isn't about whether the database is GDPR compliant, it is about whether consent, access, protections etc. are GDPR compliant.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/data-protection-commissioner-makes-first-public-comments-sincesinn-fein-secret-abu-database-40365649.html

As for the comparison to the Monaghan councillor, think about what the DPC said:

"Ms Dixon said there was a ruling from the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in 2016, in which the Judge Advocate General said that “it's these large data sets that are of primary importance, and the primary purpose of data protection law. It’s the reason why it's of primordial importance.”"

No other political party has a dataset like this, no other political party gives access to so much information to its members, no other political party has an issue so much in line with the ECJ concerns. This is a real story, and any journalist worth their salt would be all over it in the interests of the general public and getting to the bottom of it without recourse to whataboutery.

No other political party that we know of. I would not be surprised if parties had local databases. To me this is a big story and if the DPC can prove SF did wrong, I hope the book is thrown at them, they should not get away with this.

:):) attempts to link SF to 'criminal gangs' are 'new'???

:):)

Theres no attempt,theres actuality of perception and its going to come up again and again unless comprehensively dealt with
    No under the carpet we all go with this,I'm afraid :)
    Legitimate to ask if the associates,friends and family of a criminal gang member still have access to Abú

Theres no attempt,theres actuality of perception and its going to come up again and again unless comprehensively dealt with
    No under the carpet we all go with this,I'm afraid :)
    Legitimate to ask if the associates,friends and family of a criminal gang member still have access to Abú

Why would friends and family have access if they are not members?

Are you tarring all his friends and family with the same brush?

So much wrong with what you are doing here. Insinuation...not a good look.

• Advertisement

Why would friends and family have access if they are not members?

Are you tarring all his friends and family with the same brush?

So much wrong with what you are doing here. Insinuation...not a good look.

So you can confirm,no associate friend or family member of Dowdal has access to Abú ? Or you see nothing wrong with that?
    Which is it?

So you can confirm,no associate friend or family member of Dowdal has access to Abú ? Or you see nothing wrong with that?
    Which is it?

Read slowly. I trust that in any organisation that compliance means compliance.
    If SF are not in compliance they should pay what ever penalty the DPC deems fit and fix any issues.

I don't tar all the family of a criminal with the one brush. Sorry.

Read slowly. I trust that in any organisation that compliance means compliance.
    If SF are not in compliance they should pay what ever penalty the DPC deems fit and fix any issues.

So you think that if SF is not in compliance, has pulled a fast one on every voter in the country by illegally taking and storing their data, that paying a fine to the DPC is sufficient, and no heads should roll?

So you think that if SF is not in compliance, has pulled a fast one on every voter in the country by illegally taking and storing their data, that paying a fine to the DPC is sufficient, and no heads should roll?

Your're a great man for the rolling heads when you want to be.

If somebody was knowingly breaking the regs they should be sanctioned. Whether that means resignation is up to the party.

Heard SF is now responding to access requests they received. I’m sure some enterprising journalists are waiting to see what data is being held about them.

• Advertisement

Heard SF is now responding to access requests they received. I’m sure some enterprising journalists are waiting to see what data is being held about them.

I am sure that they have been working overtime on a data cleansing operation for the last couple of weeks.

Your're a great man for the rolling heads when you want to be.

If somebody was knowingly breaking the regs they should be sanctioned. Whether that means resignation is up to the party.

We have already had some of the Sinn Fein public representatives caught out lying that their party was fully compliant. Do you think that politicians should pay a price if they lie to the general public?

So you were talking ****e about the consequences. Ok. :rolleyes:

Nope, read the legislation.

I am sure that they have been working overtime on a data cleansing operation for the last couple of weeks.

That would be a criminal offence. Not the sort of thing you’d associate with SF.

I see and the criminals associates?
    You've basically answered yes to my 2nd question,that you are ok with family of a known father and son crime link having access to Abú,no questions asked
    You dodged the question about associates
    If not dealt with by SF,this is going to come up again and again
    Its a live and current issue,an association with an active criminal gang
    The fact that you are ok with this is concerning,both for the party and potential voters who do not like gangland crime associations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's amazing that an opposition party thread gets such a level of focus as this. All of the things going on and this has more traffic than nearly any other thread in boards in politics or current affairs. The teams working on bumping it morning,noon and night are doing a stellar job.

Mod

Week off from the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Unionist have their annual Poppy day and Orange parades to remember and celebrate their loyal Murderers. Sinn Fein can commemorate who they like.

Do you state this as a matter of fact or as a supporter. If a supporter wouldn't such 'celebrations' be an insult to the Unionist community which SF would be seeking to integrate into a United Ireland?

You've basically answered yes to my 2nd question,that you are ok with family of a known father and son crime link having access to Abú,no questions asked

Bull****, mis-representation again. I asked why people who are not members would have access.

The fact that you are ok with this is concerning,both for tge party and potential voters who do not like gangland crime associations :)

I don't like big business associations either, or soirees with the great and the elite in golf clubs. Judges and journalists smooching with politicians.

But I have to trust they are not getting unlawful access too.

Seems to me, you guys invent these associations and then rant about them. Par for the course for years...nothing 'new' about it.

The fact that you are ok with this is concerning,both for the party and potential voters who do not like gangland crime associations :)

And we haven't even asked how many of the Kinahans had access to the database.

Bull****, mis-representation again. I asked why people who are not members would have access.

I don't like big business associations either, or soirees with the great and the elite in golf clubs. Judges and journalists smooching with politicians.

Seems to me, you guys invent these associations and then rant about them. Par for the course for years...nothing 'new' about it.

Any chance you could answer the question or is there an uncomfortable truth here for you :)

• Advertisement

Are you saying that anyone that Jonathon Dowdall worked closely with (i.e. associates) in Sinn Fein is no longer a member?

Any chance you could answer the question or is there an uncomfortable truth here for you :)

Let's try agasin:

I am not ok with criminals in any organisation from the Gardai to the Boy Scouts accessing data. But I understand that any organisation would not know that somebody is a criminal or has criminal intent and can only do their best to prevent criminal breach.
    If SF have knowingly (or any organisation) left a criminal to access their data then sanctions should apply.
    The same consistent argument I make if someone knowingly engages in wrong doing. They should be sanctioned and nobody should circle the wagons to protect them.

Can I possibly be any clearer here? :rolleyes:

And we haven't even asked how many of the Kinahans had access to the database.

Why would the Kinihan's want to know how you were gonna vote? :D:D

Are you saying that anyone that Jonathon Dowdall worked closely with (i.e. associates) in Sinn Fein is no longer a member?

I think Mary Lou is still a member.

Let's try agasin:

I am not ok with criminals in any organisation from the Gardai to the Boy Scouts accessing data. But I understand that any organisation would not know that somebody is a criminal or has criminal intent and can only do their best to prevent criminal breach.
    If SF have knowingly (or any organisation) left a criminal to access their data then sanctions should apply.
    The same consistent argument I make if someone knowingly engages in wrong doing. They should be sanctioned and nobody should circle the wagons to protect them.

Can I possibly be any clearer here? :rolleyes:

Jeeze,I'm happy with that
    It was like pulling teeth without an injection though :)
    Lets hope a little more urgency than that is going on inside SF to purge anything harmfull

Lets hope a little more urgency than that is going on inside SF to purge anything harmfull

I wonder how quickly Sinn Fein cut off access when a member leaves. Something for the DPC to consider.

20 posts back I was saying if somebody knowingly breaks the regs they should be sanctioned.

From the very start I have said SF may have issues here to answer to.

I have repeatedly said improper use is wrong. I have said anybody knowingly breaking the rules should be sanctioned.

The trouble you had with teeth pulling was your own inability to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I wonder how quickly Sinn Fein cut off access when a member leaves. Something for the DPC to consider.

Let's hope he applies all of your concerns to all of the parties, would you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

smurgen wrote: »
    It's amazing that an opposition party thread gets such a level of focus as this. All of the things going on and this has more traffic than nearly any other thread in boards in politics or current affairs. The teams working on bumping it morning, noon and night are doing a stellar job.

It's always been like this in recent years, I remember about two years ago when it all got a bit crazy and somebody pointed out that while there were about twelve Sinn Fein threads renning simultaneously, there was just one or two Fianna Fail & Fine Gael threads running that week!

Makes ya wonder :cool:

It's like Sinn Fein have this massive army of keyboard warriors to make sure they stay tops...

I'd love to know how it works, do they actually have paid employees to keep bumping 24/7 ?

Like a cult.

• Advertisement

It's always been like this in recent years, I remember about two years ago when it all got a bit crazy and somebody pointed out that while there were about twelve Sinn Fein threads renning simultaneously, there was just one or two Fianna Fail & Fine Gael threads running that week!

Makes ya wonder :cool:

It's like Sinn Fein have this massive army of keyboard warriors to make sure they stay tops...

I'd love to know how it works, do they actually have paid employees to keep bumping 24/7 ?

I doubt it. They do have 200 employees off doing something, but I doubt they are paying lads to abuse and threaten journalists on Twitter.

Advertisement