Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Why did you arrogantly assume I was addressing your post? Weird.

Maybe because you quoted it in your reply?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 68,880 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Maybe because you quoted it in your reply?

Where did I quote anyone here?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117109579&postcount=5626

That ^ was made in reference to several posts earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Where did I quote anyone here?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117109579&postcount=5626

That ^ was made in reference to several posts earlier.

All making more or less the same point.
    I see you read my last post and quoted it, did the waffle bit hit a nerve. An aggressive response anyway.
    Which is worse a waffler or a tory? :D

All making more or less the same point.
    I see you read my last post and quoted it, did the waffle bit hit a nerve. An aggressive response anyway.
    Which is worse a waffler or a tory? :D

You've lost menow.

You weighed in because you saw the 'Tory' and felt it was a slur. I was simply attributing it to a source (Harold MacMillan) I thought it had come from. When I was corrected I accepted that immediately and made the exact same point again.

Whatever you think yourself Bish, you seem determined to take offence and fire out some slurs of your own, no matter what I say. Carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Always gives me a laugh when people talk about a decline in quality of life.

Did they ever listen to their parents and grand parents how things were years ago to now?

We have it so much easier and better.

Most pampered to people in this country nowadays wouldn't last a day to what are parents and grand parents had to go through to survive in this country.

My parents didn't have a couch and lived off beans for the first years after saving and working every hour under the sun to get a box house.

Nowadays people expect a fully furnished house before they move in supplied by the council for 50 euro a week.

The sheer arrogance and entitlement is astounding.
    I sometimes wonder why some people's command of economics is so wobbly. People can not expect to rent a house in a well-to-do area on the cheap or indeed a city located on the cheap. I think some ultra-left ideologies are responsible for putting daft notions into their heads. If you wish for a nice comfy life it is going to cost and if you are willing to live a little bit cheaper you will have to compromise. The maths is pure and simple. If you live your life expecting to get everything free/on the cheap, you most likely will never find content and in its place will be angry.

There was a poster on here a while back complaining that they couldn't save to get a deposit, yet admitted to take-away coffees every day and at least two holidays a year. Apparently the stresses of modern life demanded it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If the government built more social housing, people like her wouldn't be at the mercy of the market.

People don't want social housing though. Because it means building segregated council estates and more Ballymun flat complexes to actually accomplish that.
    I wonder which party would be first in line to criticize that if the Government announced that they were going to do that.

I would love to know the actual details of SF plans to use public lands so to solve this problem. As far as I can tell, the only plan amounts to those four words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

blanch152 wrote: »
    There was a poster on here a while back complaining that they couldn't save to get a deposit, yet admitted to take-away coffees every day and at least two holidays a year. Apparently the stresses of modern life demanded it.

Oh my, let's pillory the young folk because one poster on boards is spending €3 a day on a take away coffee.

Let's say they're spending €3 a day every day and €1000 on each of their holidays. We agree that's ~€3k p/a they could definitely save. Now let's say they take your wonderful advice, make do with the coffee in their office and don't go for so much as a weekend away from one year to the next, how does that fix the fact that the vast majority of these young people don't have the income required for mortgage approval even with dual incomes, yet are trapped spending more than the mortgage repayment would be on rent?

It is very easy to dismiss the issue being experienced by a whole lot of young people out there by picking on one example of someone spending slightly irresponsibly (buying a coffee is hardly crime of the century), but deflecting to that and ignoring the affordability of an average house versus the average wage to try and paint the younger generation as self entitled and not willing to pull themselves up by their bootstraps (like I'm sure you did) completely misses the point.

Maybe those folk would be willing to forego a takeaway coffee if it was feasible that they could afford to buy? Maybe the person you gave as an example isn't as representative of the average young person as you imply?

Either way, it's the sort of smug attitude that pushes people towards SF; an awful lot out there who I'd imagine are thinking, "well SF might be full of sh*t, but things definitely won't change while voting for the status quo".

FF and FG would be better served offering their own solution to the problem that enough young people are experiencing to vote en mass for SF despite all their baggage rather than demeaning that experience, taking digs at SF and continuing to be perceived as offering nothing to them. Clearly the current tack isn't resonating very well with the huge cohort experiencing this problem.

SF's fantasy economics sure as hell aren't the answer, but at least let's try and offer an alternative other than, 'Suck it up, buttercup. You can't have a holiday because you should be saving for something you won't be able to afford anyway, while paying me enough rent to fund my retirement'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fionn1952 wrote:
    Oh my, let's pillory the young folk because one poster on boards is spending €3 a day on a take away coffee.

Don't forget the critical one, the avocado, this is the main reason why our whole housing situation is a train wreck, who would have known such a small piece of fruit could have such a damaging effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yes its all the peoples fault the gov can't sort out the housing crisis. Pathetic crap yet again from deluded ff and fg supporters......

Fionn1952 wrote: »

Let's say they're spending €3 a day every day and €1000 on each of their holidays. We agree that's ~€3k p/a they could definitely save. Now let's say they take your wonderful advice, make do with the coffee in their office and don't go for so much as a weekend away from one year to the next, how does that fix the fact that the vast majority of these young people don't have the income required for mortgage approval even with dual incomes, yet are trapped spending more than the mortgage repayment would be on rent?

It is very easy to dismiss the issue being experienced by a whole lot of young people out there by picking on one example of someone spending slightly irresponsibly (buying a coffee is hardly crime of the century), but deflecting to that and ignoring the affordability of an average house versus the average wage to try and paint the younger generation as self entitled and not willing to pull themselves up by their bootstraps (like I'm sure you did) completely misses the point.

Maybe those folk would be willing to forego a takeaway coffee if it was feasible that they could afford to buy? Maybe the person you gave as an example isn't as representative of the average young person as you imply?

Either way, it's the sort of smug attitude that pushes people towards SF; an awful lot out there who I'd imagine are thinking, "well SF might be full of sh*t, but things definitely won't change while voting for the status quo".

FF and FG would be better served offering their own solution to the problem that enough young people are experiencing to vote en mass for SF despite all their baggage rather than demeaning that experience, taking digs at SF and continuing to be perceived as offering nothing to them. Clearly the current tack isn't resonating very well with the huge cohort experiencing this problem.

SF's fantasy economics sure as hell aren't the answer, but at least let's try and offer an alternative other than, 'Suck it up, buttercup. You can't have a holiday because you should be saving for something you won't be able to afford anyway, while paying me enough rent to fund my retirement'.

Excellently said. But you may aswell be talking to the wall when talking to gov supporters. Deflection is their game and they have it down to an art form at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/average-full-time-salary-in-republic-nearly-49-000-1.4289348

The averages quoted elsewhere include part-time employees and count second jobs separately, thus pushing down the average wage considerably. The average full-time salary in Ireland is now 50k. That allows for a mortgage of €175k. With a deposit of 25k, that puts properties of 200k in reach. You can even live in the centre of Dublin:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/22-st-james-street-south-city-centre-d8-dublin-8/4485778

Now, I know that won't buy a four-bed semi with a garden big enough for a trampoline only 15 minutes commute from Dublin city centre, but such a place was never available for anyone on an average salary.

The average house price in Cork is €235k.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/average-house-prices-in-county-cork-increase-by-83-in-2020-39893202.html

Well within the reach of a couple on average salaries.

People don't want social housing though. Because it means building segregated council estates and more Ballymun flat complexes to actually accomplish that.
    I wonder which party would be first in line to criticize that if the Government announced that they were going to do that.

I would love to know the actual details of SF plans to use public lands so to solve this problem. As far as I can tell, the only plan amounts to those four words.

Not only do people not want social housing built, they don't want to live in social housing, they want to own their own house.

As for the SF plans to use public lands, what public lands are they talking about? UCD's Belfield campus? School playgrounds? The Phoenix Park? Public open spaces? St. Anne's Park?

Oh wait, that last one, didn't they object to recent planning applications near there?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/average-full-time-salary-in-republic-nearly-49-000-1.4289348

The averages quoted elsewhere include part-time employees and count second jobs separately, thus pushing down the average wage considerably.

They also include a false inflating effect of a small number of very very high salaries, and as earning tends to increase as you get older, it's not much use telling a group of ten 25 year olds on €30k that because a 55 year old is on €250k, the average in that group of 11 is €50k, so they can on average get a mortgage of €175k.

Median salaries are much more reflective of what the typical person in society actually has (the median FULL TIME salary in Ireland is around €35,000), and the typical younger person is below the median (as we know earnings generally increase as you get older). Pointing to what someone on the industrial average salary can afford and sneering about take away coffee to a group that largely earn less than that is precisely the problem, Blanch.

A quote from Aidan Regan over at UCD puts it better than I can:
    “If there are 40 people in the bar and a billionaire walks in, everyone on average becomes a millionaire"

Perhaps planning something for that group with the mindset that everyone is a millionaire might leave those who aren't somewhat disillusioned?

Even an average wage leaves a pokey one bed apartment within buying range when previously it would've got someone a three bedroom mid-terrace with some sort of garden. Dismissing people's concerns around this as wanting a four bed semi with a large garden in a nice area....well that's right in the, 'they can't afford it because they're spending twenty quid a week on coffee' level of nonsense.

888.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

The averages quoted elsewhere include part-time employees and count second jobs separately, thus pushing down the average wage considerably. The average full-time salary in Ireland is now 50k. That allows for a mortgage of €175k. With a deposit of 25k, that puts properties of 200k in reach. You can even live in the centre of Dublin:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/22-st-james-street-south-city-centre-d8-dublin-8/4485778

Now, I know that won't buy a four-bed semi with a garden big enough for a trampoline only 15 minutes commute from Dublin city centre, but such a place was never available for anyone on an average salary.

The average house price in Cork is €235k.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/average-house-prices-in-county-cork-increase-by-83-in-2020-39893202.html

Well within the reach of a couple on average salaries.

hahaha you surely taking piss... or trolling for reactions.

They also include a false inflating effect of a small number of very very high salaries, and as earning tends to increase as you get older, it's not much use telling a group of ten 25 year olds on €30k that because a 55 year old is on €250k, the average in that group of 11 is €50k, so they can on average get a mortgage of €175k.

Median salaries are much more reflective of what the typical person in society actually has (the median FULL TIME salary in Ireland is around €35,000), and the typical younger person is below the median (as we know earnings generally increase as you get older). Pointing to what someone on the industrial average salary can afford and sneering about take away coffee to a group that largely earn less than that is precisely the problem, Blanch.

A quote from Aidan Regan over at UCD puts it better than I can:
    “If there are 40 people in the bar and a billionaire walks in, everyone on average becomes a millionaire"

Perhaps planning something for that group with the mindset that everyone is a millionaire might leave those who aren't somewhat disillusioned?

Even an average wage leaves a pokey one bed apartment within buying range when previously it would've got someone a three bedroom mid-terrace with some sort of garden. Dismissing people's concerns around this as wanting a four bed semi with a large garden in a nice area....well that's right in the, 'they can't afford it because they're spending twenty quid a week on coffee' level of nonsense.

888.jpg

At what point would an average wage for a single person been able to buy a three bedroom mid-terrace with some sort of garden in Dublin? Perhaps an ex-council house?

The reality is that Dublin is now a modern capital city with and just like every other similar capital city, living close to central Dublin just isn't possible on the average wage. It has probably been made worse by the antics of An Taisce and others who have prevented high-density housing within the canals for the last 40 years. Still going on today with the stupid objections to the development in St. Anne's Park.

https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/59210

"“The paltry fine issued today leaves many of us wondering if the DPC is more lapdog than watchdog when it comes to data protection regulation.”"

Will Louise still be saying that if the DPC fines Sinn Fein over the Abu database?

At what point would an average wage for a single person been able to buy a three bedroom mid-terrace with some sort of garden in Dublin? Perhaps an ex-council house?

The reality is that Dublin is now a modern capital city with and just like every other similar capital city, living close to central Dublin just isn't possible on the average wage. It has probably been made worse by the antics of An Taisce and others who have prevented high-density housing within the canals for the last 40 years. Still going on today with the stupid objections to the development in St. Anne's Park.

Precisely ex council houses; that was how a great deal of average earners got on the property ladder. That isn't on the cards at all for young people today. Plenty of folk were able to buy in the likes of Drumcondra on teacher or nursing salaries. How many teachers or nurses could buy similar now?

This isn't just a, 'living in Central Dublin' issue either Blanch; going by your namesake, you're hardly in central Dublin. How affordable are houses there for a young person on a median or slightly below median wage? They weren't when I was there. I'm living quite a bit further out into Meath now, I sure as hell wouldn't want to try buying here on a median or slightly below that salary. Outside of some Midlands counties which come with their own problems, it is endemic across the country....and there aren't very many jobs with career prospects sufficient to keep someone at or above the national median wage floating around Longford or the likes anyway, so telling people to suck it up and move out of Dublin doesn't really help when they're either moving to a county with a similar problem with property inflation or one where their employment prospects take a sufficient hit to render the drop in property prices meaningless.

That's all without even touching on who you expect to fill the lower paid service roles you depend on when living in Dublin if you think they should all leave.

I don't disagree at all about high density housing. Far too much objecting from all sides on that; lefty types objecting because it isn't 100% social housing and ignoring the domino effect of a general increase in supply and other folk usually invested in keeping prices high with laughable complaints that it would ruin the Dublin skyline. I've said it already, but I'll reiterate; I don't think SF are the answer, but from the perspective of these young people at least they're giving an answer instead of taking your approach of dismissing it entirely or coming up with nonsensical justifications about their take away coffees.

I think someone hit on the same sort of metaphor earlier, but if you're drowning would you rather have the fella backing away from you, telling you back in his day we swam better and if you don't like it, learn to breathe underwater, or the lad with no clue what he's doing who says he thinks there might be a lifebuoy somewhere near him that he'll go look for? They're both pretty sh*te options, but at least with the latter there's SOME chance.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-crushed-our-sister-family-criticises-party-over-martina-anderson-humiliation-40412319.html

I see Martina's family aren't happy with the way she was treated.

"The family of Sinn Féin MLA Martina Anderson has launched a stinging attack on her party, after she was told to step down from her Foyle Assembly seat."

They should send Paddy Holohan and Dessie Ellis up there to sort her out in the traditional SF way, but maybe they are afraid that Martina has been honing her skills from her youth. This will not end well.

Its already ended. Shes not going to be running for SF in the next election. Her family can cry all they want, wont change the fact that she wont be running in the elections for SF.

She hasn't gone away, you know.

• Advertisement

Internet gossip is a terrible thing, but I must admit to enjoying the gossip emerging about some of the national Leadership of the party, apart from the but about ‘the boys’ calling around to someone’s home to have a word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Marco23d

At the end of the day Sinn Fein/PIRA are getting closer and closer to complete control and power over all of Ireland.

You girls can gossip and spread misinformation and half truths all you want but you cannot prevent the inevitable the provos are going to run the 26 counties and then soon enough all Ireland.

Internet gossip is a terrible thing, but I must admit to enjoying the gossip emerging about some of the national Leadership of the party, apart from the but about ‘the boys’ calling around to someone’s home to have a word.

Others do it on beaches. Not gossip.
    A young Fine Gael candidate dropped his campaign for a council seat after being confronted on a Dublin beach by Jennifer Carroll MacNeill about a derogatory social media post he made about a previous TD.

Well done to SF and all those who held out for vindication here. Another state apology incoming but no justice if the Tories get their way.

https://twitter.com/sharontobin/status/1392101923197759494

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Marco23d

Well done to SF and all those who held out for vindication here. Another state apology incoming but no justice if the Tories get their way.

https://twitter.com/sharontobin/status/1392101923197759494

Doubt this will be given much attention as Irish media will find it hard to somehow place the blame for these killings on Gerry Adams.

It was actually 11 people another man also died after being subjected to a mock execution by soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

A good result, must be some vindication for the victims families and hopefully somebody will be held to account for their actions

Marco23d wrote: »
    Doubt this will be given much attention as Irish media will find it hard to somehow place the blame for these killings on Gerry Adams.

I'm going to guess it will be covered impartially by all major news outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think someone hit on the same sort of metaphor earlier, but if you're drowning would you rather have the fella backing away from you, telling you back in his day we swam better and if you don't like it, learn to breathe underwater, or the lad with no clue what he's doing who says he thinks there might be a lifebuoy somewhere near him that he'll go look for? They're both pretty sh*te options, but at least with the latter there's SOME chance.

SF isn't offering an alternative though. They've always peddled populist appealing noises to give people false hope. As mentioned before, it's like Pearse going over to Greece to support Sryzias disastrous anti-bailout plan.

As for the analogy, you might take some comfort in your last drowning breaths, while the lad goes off to find a lifebuoy knowing there isn't one. But the lie will make you feel better.

SF isn't offering an alternative though. They've always peddled populist appealing noises to give people false hope. As mentioned before, it's like Pearse going over to Greece to support Sryzias disastrous anti-bailout plan.

As for the analogy, you might take some comfort in your last drowning breaths, while the lad goes off to find a lifebuoy knowing there isn't one. But the lie will make you feel better.

In fairness to sf though it wasn't as if they caused the mess when it comes to certain things in this country. Ff and fg did.
    If and more then likely when they get into power it won't be easy picking up the pieces left by ff and fg.

Billcarson wrote: »
    In fairness to sf though it wasn't as if they caused the mess when it comes to certain things in this country. Ff and fg did.
    If and more then likely when they get into power it won't be easy picking up the pieces left by ff and fg.

Funny that, we are pretty close to top of the world rankings for quality of living, for living standards, for freedom from corruption, for human rights.

If SF ever come to power, expect us to fall quickly down all of those rankings.

• Advertisement

Funny that, we are pretty close to top of the world rankings for quality of living, for living standards, for freedom from corruption, for human rights.

If SF ever come to power, expect us to fall quickly down all of those rankings.

In whos planet????
    What about cost of living?
    The human need to live in a house?
    Freedom from corruption, jesus christ are you having a laugh.

Advertisement