Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

tomzolo wrote: »
    More whataboutery from the 2nd Battalion of the West Brit Brigade of Boards.

I love how SF people throw out the old West Brit term whenever an Irish person who has some decency in him/her to call out SF for the bullsh*t they spout. Adams knows bloody well what happened to her. The least he owes her family is to tell them the truth. SF and the IRA are vile and no amount of 'West Brit' nonsense is going to dilute that reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,883 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

batman75 wrote: »
    I love how SF people throw out the old West Brit term whenever an Irish person who has some decency in him/her to call out SF for the bullsh*t they spout. Adams knows bloody well what happened to her. The least he owes her family is to tell them the truth. SF and the IRA are vile and no amount of 'West Brit' nonsense is going to dilute that reality.

They have been told what happened have they not?

They have been told what happened have they not?

One of the key participants has consistenly denied being involved and denied ever being in the IRA so that in itself places doubt on the plausibility of any explanation ever given to the family. Yes the British occupation in NI is wrong and was wrong from the start.

But I cannot see any justification for disappearing and killing a woman leaving her children orphaned. Surely you as much as you love SF/IRA you can see that was wrong?

One of the key participants has consistenly denied being involved and denied ever being in the IRA so that in itself places doubt on the plausibility of any explanation ever given to the family. Yes the British occupation in NI is wrong and was wrong from the start.

But I cannot see any justification for disappearing and killing a woman leaving her children orphaned. Surely you as much as you love SF/IRA you can see that was wrong?

I believe it was all wrong from the start. No equivocation here.

The people on who you depend for the info that Adams was involved also say that McConville was a warned informer.
    At the time, informers were so dangerous they were killed without mercy. That is one of the obscenities of conflict/war as was Ballymurphy and why they should never be allowed to start.

I believe it was all wrong from the start. No equivocation here.

The people on who you depend for the info that Adams was involved also say that McConville was a warned informer.
    At the time, informers were so dangerous they were killed without mercy. That is one of the obscenities of conflict/war as was Ballymurphy and why they should never be allowed to start.

I'm happy you agree with me when you say it was wrong. I do believe she was an informer and that she was warned. I can't have it both ways ie accept what Price/Hughes say about Adams and not what they said about McConville. I don't think she was singled out on a whim. I would rather see her and her family expelled from NI than see her children orphaned.

I understand why she was murdered, to deter people from informing. To show that their was no tolerance for touting. Yet Stakeknife, head of the IRA nutting squad is still around despite being a double agent. Yes he denied so its a case of he said she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 tomzolo

No side in any war can justify every act commited during it.

I supported the PIRA campaign but I don't support every act commited by every member of the IRA during the 30 year campaign, the same way English people might have supported the campaign in Northern Ireland but they don't justify all the innocent men, women and children killed by the Army (some of them may try) or all the other hundreds of innocent people killed by the British governments proxy killers in the loyalist organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Many people including my gf voted for FF or FG on the promise they wouldn't jump into bed together. Them votes are gone

That's bad news for SF then because there are significantly more voters who don't want their party choice to go into power with SF.
    After today's ERSI report that for the first time in the history of the state, peoples in there 30s and 40s will be poorer than there parents. Thats the under 40 vote near wiped for FF or FG, or is this ERSI report all SFs fault?

The devil is in the detail, apart from focusing on the disproportionate effect on younger people from the pandemic, the crux of the issue is the effect of housing costs as a proportion of wages.

It's going to be unfortunate for them though that SF isn't going to change that. With the exception of creating an economic environment that will lead us back to a path of emigration. Nothing quite like fixing the housing and rental crisis than have workers have to move abroad leaving more properties available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

SF are playing a very dangerous game regarding housing. I've read somewhere that they have objected to about 5000 houses been built in Dublin alone over the past few years. Whatever reasons for this it cannot be denied that they don't want houses built during the lifetime of this government because without housing they lose alot of their slogans.

Take O,Broins objection for example, he wanted to expand the development by using a piece of land whereby a CPO would be needed, it could take years to get those houses designed and through the planning process and delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Haha the troubles will not erupt again. Unionists might try start but 99% unionists and 99% catholics have no interest in going back to the past.

Its as if you want this to happen as it may damage SF. Thats more worrying that people have that view than the troubles returning

Yes great way to argue the point, using made up figures. Whats the "going back to the past" in your eyes?. Violence or conflict? Conflict comes in many different forms. AS we can see right now in the 2021 conflict is bubbling under the surface. When a people, rightly or wrongly, think that they're identity is threatened they will fight tooth and nail. Some through violence, some through malevolent actions, some through spite like parades or flegs, some through bureaucratic arseholery. Conflict comes in many forms. Its not just bombs and guns. But yeah conflict usually begets violence.

A united Ireland has a very real possibility of having conflict. To do a you on it, i would say there's more of a 70 per cent chance that you get a group like the REAL IRA only in orange. It only takes a handful of people. You would have hundreds of thousands opposing a United Ireland. The fact you dismiss it offhand and finish with a stupid point at the end dismissing very genuine concerns of a good number of people, including academics and people involved is what is scary.

Its you who needs to come into reality.

Its a shame you don't actually listen to SF on this, at least they have recognised much of this somewhat.

Its funny people think a party dedicated to achieving a United Ireland will deliver them all the other stuff. They're focus will switch massively if they get into power. Having power on two sides of the border would be massive for them. They may only have a short window to square the circle. Housing would get lost in all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

tomzolo wrote: »
    More whataboutery from the 2nd Battalion of the West Brit Brigade of Boards.

This is the Sinn Fein thread, it is fully on topic.

• Advertisement

skimpydoo wrote: »
    It is new here, I never thought I would see FF or FG in government.

I've been listening to it adnauseum for a few years prior 'sure the only answer is for them to go in together'
    These are by and large the ordinary folk voting for both and not old either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Is this the end

I've been listening to it adnauseum for a few years prior 'sure the only answer is for them to go in together'
    These are by and large the ordinary folk voting for both and not old either

Well isnt it good for SF that Jim O Callaghan who will prob be their new leader is open to talk to SF

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ff-tds-would-not-exclude-sinn-f%C3%A9in-coalition-after-next-election-1.4478483

Well isnt it good for SF that Jim O Callaghan who will prob be their new leader is open to talk to SF

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ff-tds-would-not-exclude-sinn-f%C3%A9in-coalition-after-next-election-1.4478483

None of them would in reality rule it out if the numbers dictate
    A UI referendum in the 1st 100 days would see a lot of FF policies previously anathema to SF voted through by them :)

More Populist Rubbish from SF today: Sinn Féin is renewing its call for high earners to pay a solidarity tax

It's a symptomatic example of how SF economic policies want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Someone with connections to SF should remind them that The top 1% of all income tax cases in Ireland earn 9.1% of income and pay 30.4% of the taxation, the top 5% pay almost 55% of all taxation from 22.7% of the income. In effect this means that those persons or households with over 100,000 in income account for over half of all income tax paid, underlining the extreme redistributive effects of the Irish tax system.

Perhaps a "Solidarity tax" should also include the huge number of SF voters paying little or no tax at least make a bit of a contribution instead of looking for free everything all the time.

More Populist Rubbish from SF today:............

That's literally all it is, they know it's a load of waffle but many folk earning under €140k will lap it up.

Insulting folks intelligence IMO......

The IMF said the tax base needs to be broadened ............ SF "is renewing its call for high earners to pay a solidarity tax. The party says those earning above €140,000 a year should pay it"

Folk earning over €70k pay more than enough with the highest rate of USC IMO added onto PRSI and PAYE.

More Populist Rubbish from SF today: Sinn Féin is renewing its call for high earners to pay a solidarity tax

It's a symptomatic example of how SF economic policies want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Someone with connections to SF should remind them that The top 1% of all income tax cases in Ireland earn 9.1% of income and pay 30.4% of the taxation, the top 5% pay almost 55% of all taxation from 22.7% of the income. In effect this means that those persons or households with over 100,000 in income account for over half of all income tax paid, underlining the extreme redistributive effects of the Irish tax system.

Perhaps a "Solidarity tax" should also include the huge number of SF voters paying little or no tax at least make a bit of a contribution instead of looking for free everything all the time.

Any data or proof that the huge numbers of SF voters pay little or no tax and want free everything. Or have you made that up?

The second part of the article hits the nail on the head.

"Gerard Howlin - public affairs consultant, Sunday Times columnist and former senior political adviser - said he’s sceptical a solidarity or wealth tax will work.

He said: “I’m very sceptical whether it would come remotely close to what was needed before the last election and the COVID pandemic - and it’s absolutely certain it won’t come remotely close to the much greater need that is emerging now.”

Mr Howlin said the “critical message” is to broaden the tax rate - which means more types of taxes, rather than higher rates for some groups.

He argued that Ireland is one of the few European countries to not have water charges, while the property tax is “unfit for purpose”

He also said there are no fees for third-level education and Exchequer funding for the sector is inadequate - suggesting “our university standards are subsiding” as a result."

https://www.independent.ie/news/sinn-fein-td-denies-claimsthe-partyhumiliated-derry-mlas-martina-anderson-and-karen-mullan-40419519.html

"Speaking to Independent.ie, Sinn Féin TD in Cavan Monaghan Matt Carthy denied the two MLAs had been “humiliated”.

“I don’t think Sinn Féin has humiliated anybody, we’re all elected representatives,” he said."

"Mr Carthy said “tough” decisions must be made to “maximise” the party’s success in elections."

The big boys have spoken. The women will have to stop moaning about tough decisions.

She is right here, Johnson's sham apology is a disgrace. Never thought I'd say it but Cameron is positively statesmanlike in comparison.

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1392872265444773894

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/news/sinn-fein-td-denies-claimsthe-partyhumiliated-derry-mlas-martina-anderson-and-karen-mullan-40419519.html

"Speaking to Independent.ie, Sinn Féin TD in Cavan Monaghan Matt Carthy denied the two MLAs had been “humiliated”.

“I don’t think Sinn Féin has humiliated anybody, we’re all elected representatives,” he said."

"Mr Carthy said “tough” decisions must be made to “maximise” the party’s success in elections."

The big boys have spoken. The women will have to stop moaning about tough decisions.

Sinn Fein as a party are not performing as well in Derry than other areas. Sinn Fein have decided to try make the party a success in Derry with new people out forward for election.

There is nothing more to this but if you want to go down the route of men telling women what to do, work away

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein as a party are not performing as well in Derry than other areas. Sinn Fein have decided to try make the party a success in Derry with new people out forward for election.

There is nothing more to this but if you want to go down the route of men telling women what to do, work away

Very brave of posh Free Stater, Mary Lou McDonald, to bring out the long knives and get rid of republican royalty like Anderson. Real changing of the guard stuff. Seems she got Gerry Kelly and Adams former bodyguard to deliver the news to Anderson and her crew.

We all know that the SDLP were eating SF's dinner in Derry, but you wouldn't have to be Albert Einstein to work out there's something else afoot.

Very brave of posh Free Stater, Mary Lou McDonald, to bring out the long knives and get rid of republican royalty like Anderson. Real changing of the guard stuff. Seems she got Gerry Kelly and Adams former bodyguard to deliver the news to Anderson and her crew.

We all know that the SDLP were eating SF's dinner in Derry, but you wouldn't have to be Albert Einstein to work out there's something else afoot.

Mary Lou does not deal with parties matters in the 6 counties. Michelle would be the leader in the 6 counties.

Mary Lou never sent anybody anywhere

The conspiracy theories are great to read though, even if you don't know whos in charge of SF in the 6 counties

Any data or proof that the huge numbers of SF voters pay little or no tax and want free everything. Or have you made that up?

It's not that difficult to work out from correlating voter choices to age and income brackets.

It's even openly obvious when you consider they chose Violet Ann Wynne as a prime example. Are you really going to suggest that their populist policies are not targeted at this section of society - because it's fooling no one?

Mary Lou does not deal with parties matters in the 6 counties. Michelle would be the leader in the 6 counties.

The conspiracy theories are great to read though, even if you don't know whos in charge of SF in the 6 counties

She’s the President of SF. The leader of the party. The idea that she wouldn’t have any say in getting rid of Anderson is laughable. Or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Bit partitionist of Mary Lou as leader of SF not to be involved in affairs north of the border.

Michelle deals with all matters regarding the NI assemly

Mary Lou deals with all matters regarding the 26 counties

Its not very hard to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

blanch152 wrote: »

Can't see the problem. If you're not pulling your weight, good luck.

Let's not beat around the bush here - why did the army council of the IRA decide Anderson was no longer fit for purpose, and is this something they can also do with their politicians down South?

I mean Anderson served a life sentence for planting bombs outside pubs, so she'd be very highly regarded amongst the crew who get maudlin about mass murder.

Is there more to this story than meets the eye? Obviously internet gossip is just that so only asking the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Let's not beat around the bush here - why did the army council of the IRA decide Anderson was no longer fit for purpose, and is this something they can also do with their politicians down South?

I mean Anderson served a life sentence for planting bombs outside pubs, so she'd be very highly regarded amongst the crew who get maudlin about mass murder.

Is there more to this story than meets the eye? Obviously internet gossip is just that so only asking the question.

4 posts up ^^^ ye said it was Mary Lou.
    You'd want to get your story straight. Tripping up all over the place.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    4 posts up ^^^ ye said it was Mary Lou.
    You'd want to get your story straight. Tripping up all over the place.
    Michelle deals with all matters regarding the NI assemly

Mary Lou deals with all matters regarding the 26 counties

Its not very hard to understand

I think the problem comes from this sentence in the newspaper article:

"The decision came from the party leadership following concern over recent disappointing election results in the city."

I don't think anybody is clear on who the party leadership is. There are some who believe that Mary-Lou McDonald is the party leader, there is another reasonable opinion that the boys in Belfast run the party and make the decisions. I can understand why the newspaper hedged their bets on it.

Advertisement