Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

blanch152 wrote: »
    Be careful, someone will call you a partitionist.

Don't believe so. Aren't we waiting for a UI vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

CDarby wrote: »
    From accusing the police and sf of being corrupt together, and now the police were basically bullied and intimidated. Seems you backed the wrong horse, but it's great to see you getting up on the back of a new one though. :rolleyes:
    Called it last night, everyone else is wrong, from the PSNI and Sinn Fein, the whole way up to the HMICFRS, but this poster blanch is correct.

No, I admitted I was wrong about the corruption.

However, the bit in bold is a pretty accurate summary of the investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,464 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:) Conspiracy theories (of any variety - corruption/bullying) rather than admit what you really got wrong.

Last man standing on this by the looks of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

I would post the summary of the enquiry, and how it doesn't reflect that at all, however I feel your posts look foolish enough on their own merits, little point in making them look all the more foolish. Carry on though, its great entertainment, in an emperor's new clothes kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Hiring an event management firm for a funeral is a bit vulgar tbh.

As is taking selfies at a funeral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

jmcc wrote: »
    Sinn Fein is being criticised for having an events management company handle a funeral by parties who were involved in Golfgate.Given the behaviour of FF and FG over Golfgate, they are in no position to criticise anyone.

Regards...jmcc

The events company organised an event for several hundred people, who travelled from all over the island. You can argue the technicalities, but both the funeral and the golf party were self serving events, organised with a complete disregard for the situation at the time, involving people who should have known better.

Neither should have gone ahead the way they did. Both were an example of people in power thinking they could do what they like

jmcc wrote: »
    Sinn Fein is being criticised for having an events management company handle a funeral by parties who were involved in Golfgate.Given the behaviour of FF and FG over Golfgate, they are in no position to criticise anyone.

Regards...jmcc

Well, I was not involved in Golfgate and didn't vote for any politician who was. I thought Dara Calleary did the decent thing, because while he may not have committed an offence (and he hasn't been prosecuted), he resigned because he should have known.

All I am calling for is for the same standards to apply to O'Neill and Murphy. Now, if I missed any other SF office-holder in the North who was there, happy to add them to the list of those who should have resigned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Any of the die-hard supporters on here explaining this.

The last time Michelle O'Neill met Prince Charles he was commander in chief of the Parricute regiment so why didn't she decline to meet him then?

mariaalice wrote: »

The last time Michelle O'Neill met Prince Charles he was commander in chief of the Parricute regiment so why didn't she decline to meet him then?

Probably 'Ballymurphy' related. If he was here he was probably asked to address the findings and wouldn't?

Why would any republican leader go along with a sham visit like that???

Probably 'Ballymurphy' related. If he was here he was probably asked to address the findings and wouldn't?

Why would any republican leader go along with a sham visit like that???

Why did they do it the last time is what I am asking.

• Advertisement

Pre the findings.

I think she has given him praise for his reconciliation efforts but this is a sensitive time and personally I think it is an insult for any titular head of British armed forces to travel to this island and NOT address current issues. Same goes for inviting the Queen, the titular head of the British Armed Forces, to Dublin IMO, while those forces block inquiries into the bombing of the city and other towns here.
    I would be more hardline than SF on that one. Address the issue, then you can come as an equal.

As was said on another thread, 'people change their opinions'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Barry904

The PIRA killed more Catholics than anyone else during their terrorist campaign.

You realise that includes hundred of Catholics from the British army from England though don't you?

And also relies on all the different loyalist organisations being counted as separate groups, if you combine them all together it's a different story.

Also it does not add in collusion with loyalists to all the hundreds of catholics killed by the BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Pre the findings.

I think she has given him praise for his reconciliation efforts but this is a sensitive time and personally I think it is an insult for any titular head of British armed forces to travel to this island and NOT address current issues. Same goes for inviting the Queen, the titular head of the British Armed Forces, to Dublin IMO, while those forces block inquiries into the bombing of the city and other towns here.
    I would be more hardline than SF on that one. Address the issue, then you can come as an equal.

Luckily for us you have absolutely no input into diplomatic affairs...see you go on about being balanced, but then every so often the mask slips.

that was an important moment for building peace ffs.

starkid wrote: »
    Luckily for us you have absolutely no input into diplomatic affairs...see you go on about being balanced, but then every so often the mask slips.

that was an important moment for building peace ffs.

It COULD have been an exemplary moment of 'peacebuilding' had the monarchy addressed the rather large elephant in the room.

But the power swap has been too weak on behalf of it's people. All it took was for them to insist that the issue be addressed.

But bull**** optics was preferred.

Bull in a china shop stuff from Sinn Fein again. Couldn't be trusted to run a kindergarten with diplomacy. All posturing and politicking without substance.

Barry904 wrote: »
    You realise that includes hundred of Catholics from the British army from England though don't you?

And also relies on all the different loyalist organisations being counted as separate groups, if you combine them all together it's a different story.

Also it does not add in collusion with loyalists to all the hundreds of catholics killed by the BA.

So, you agree that I am correct that the PIRA killed more Catholics than anyone else.

Bull in a china shop stuff from Sinn Fein again. Couldn't be trusted to run a kindergarten with diplomacy. All posturing and politicking without substance.

Bull in a china shop from the poster who was screaming about police, CPS corruption a while ago. :)

When do you have the self respect to stand up for yourself and those who elect you?

Here was 'the head of the regiment' who gunned down 10 of your people and you have to stand and listen to him paying tribute to the partition that caused it?

'Address the pertinent issues Charles' or don't expect my co-operation in your facile PR exercise, would be my approach.

So, you agree that I am correct that the PIRA killed more Catholics than anyone else.

Your comparison is nonsensical the British army, the army is an organ of the state and because of this is rightly held to very high standards and can in no way be compared to a terrorist organisation.

Has anyone ever done any research on this because it would be interesting, how many of the British soldiers sent to NI had an Irish background?

About 2 years ago I met a taxi driver in Carlisle who told me his father was from Cork and that he himself had been in the army and stationed in NI did not seem to think it was unusual? The conversation came around because of my Irish accent.

Identity is a very complex issue.

Bull in a china shop from the poster who was screaming about police, CPS corruption a while ago. :)

When do you have the self respect to stand up for yourself and those who elect you?

Here was 'the head of the regiment' who gunned down 10 of your people and you have to stand and listen to him paying tribute to the partition that caused it?

'Address the pertinent issues Charles' or don't expect my co-operation in your facile PR exercise, would be my approach.

That's exactly the kind of approach that doesn't work in the international world of diplomacy. No wonder Sinn Fein look up to North Korea, Cuba and Venezuela as examples of wonderful diplomacy.

• Advertisement

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/mcguinness-legacy-torn-apart-in-sinn-fein-derry-reshuffle-40443155.html

Senator Blaney certainly brings some local knowledge to the debate.

"Gerry Adams’s brother was placed in a Donegal house for three years and had charges of paedophilia made against him. No media would ever touch that story,” he said. “Everyone knew about it in Donegal but nobody would touch it. Our democracy is under attack. It is time our media spoke up and woke up and we got independence for all parties in this State.”

Is this true? Was Liam Adams sheltered for three years in a Sinn Fein house? Did the media shy away from the story?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/mcguinness-legacy-torn-apart-in-sinn-fein-derry-reshuffle-40443155.html

"Gerry Adams’s brother was placed in a Donegal house for three years and had charges of paedophilia made against him. No media would ever touch that story,” he said. “Everyone knew about it in Donegal but nobody would touch it. Our democracy is under attack. It is time our media spoke up and woke up and we got independence for all parties in this State.”

Is this true? Was Liam Adams sheltered for three years in a Sinn Fein house? Did the media shy away from the story?

Definitely hidden away from public scrutiny by those erstwhile journos Harris, Ryan, O'Hanlon and RDE. They're probably all Shinners now.

That's exactly the kind of approach that doesn't work in the international world of diplomacy. No wonder Sinn Fein look up to North Korea, Cuba and Venezuela as examples of wonderful diplomacy.

What a load of nonsense.

The UK itself uses 'titular' offices to pressure other countries. They did it most recently over Brexit.

All self respecting countries do it. This is another difference between SF and the Power Swap - self respect. No more hat doffing, treat the people of this country with respect or do not expect to be feted in this country.

:):) Sure...nobody ever told that story. :) What planet is this Blaney lad on again?

:):) Sure...nobody ever told that story. :) What planet is this Blaney lad on again?

Do you have links to reports of Liam Adams hiding out in Donegal under SF protection?

Do you have links to reports of Liam Adams hiding out in Donegal under SF protection?

'Hiding out in Donegal under SF protection'? :eek:

That story gathered legs fair and quick sir, as they'd say in Donegal. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

smurgen wrote: »
    The latest hit and miss from the Indo/Philip Ryan on SF. This man is the new Eoghan Harris. Sounding like a total head the ball. https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/pearse-doherty-says-he-is-not-obliged-to-list-new-coastal-donegal-family-home-in-dail-register-40438048.html
    Guidelines for members of Dáil Éireann who are not office holders concerning the steps to be taken by them to ensure compliance with the provisions of the ethics in public office acts 1995 and 2001 https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/committee_on_members_interests_dail_eireann/other/2017/2017-01-01_members-interests-of-dail-eireann-guidelines_en.pdf

You are not required under this heading to disclose information regarding your private home and/or that of your spouse or civil partner and any subsidiary or ancillary land to such home that is not being used or developed primarily for commercial purposes. Under the 1995 Act, this means a building or part of a building that is occupied by you, your spouse, your civil partner or a child of yours or your spouse, does not need to be registered as it can be considered your private home. If you own more than one home, you should register any home which is not occupied by you, your spouse, civil partner or a child of yours or your spouse.

can't read the story but if the house doesn't exist yet....

Guidelines for members of Dáil Éireann who are not office holders concerning the steps to be taken by them to ensure compliance with the provisions of the ethics in public office acts 1995 and 2001 https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/committee_on_members_interests_dail_eireann/other/2017/2017-01-01_members-interests-of-dail-eireann-guidelines_en.pdf

The house is described as a palatial 5 bedroom home worth north of 400k
    A bit hard to understand for a lad after donations to the party that has a take home pay of 40 something thousand
    His wife is a nurse though, which might bring in another 40 but with 5 kids to rear, a 20 to 30 year mortgage would eat up more than half of that pay or more
    I doubt a bank would give it
    There must be a fair whack of money coming in to that household somewhere

Thanks for that information, which I had been looking for previously.

It seems that Gerry Adams was remiss in not declaring his holiday home in Donegal and his residence in Louth, while he maintained a home in Belfast. Unless of course, they were owned by Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

Was MM second home mentioned in Ryan's piece?

Advertisement