Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FullyComp

starkid wrote: »
    whats good for the goose and all that...

If SF and the left can call out Leo over a jacket or whatnot then anybody taking issue with their being a story written about Pearse's house can **** right off.

Many people are sick of their hypocrisy.

Its not just that man builds house shocker, its man that never ever shuts up about posh boys, housing, the wealthy, builds really nice gaff in nice area. there's just the slightest whiff of hypocrisy or ivory towerism, and its good to have it recorded.

Nailed it! Remember the fashion shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Encouraging results for the Shinners here.

LucidTalk

DUP on 16% (-3% from Jan)
    SF largest party 25% (+1)
    Alliance 16% (-2)
    UUP 14% (+2)
    SDLP 12% (-1)
    TUV 11% (+1)
    Edwin Poots worst personal rating of any NI politician - 62% brand him bad/awful

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-telegraph-opinion-poll-northern-irelands-changing-political-landscape-as-support-for-parties-revealed-40453232.html

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

LucidTalk

Alliance 16% (-2)
    UUP 14% (+2)
    SDLP 12% (-1)
    TUV 11% (+1)
    Edwin Poots worst personal rating of any NI politician - 62% brand him bad/awful

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-telegraph-opinion-poll-northern-irelands-changing-political-landscape-as-support-for-parties-revealed-40453232.html

Or 75% don't support SF?

Or 75% don't support SF?

:D:D Well if you were looking for solace...one could say you found it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

:D:D Well if you were looking for solace...one could say you found it. :D

Learent that trick from you.... Tks. Great to learn from a master ðŸ‘ðŸ‘😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

But SF want the %social housing increased from 10% to 20% in private estates.

Yes.

Learent that trick from you.... Tks. Great to learn from a master ðŸ‘ðŸ‘����

The reality of how many 'don't' support a party only needs to be pointed out to those making grandiose claims that a 'majority' supports their party.

So, putting that to one side. These are encouraging results for SF...discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The reality of how many 'don't' support a party only needs to be pointed out to those making grandiose claims that a 'majority' supports their party.

So, putting that to one side. These are encouraging results for SF...discuss?

The fragmentation of the unionist vote is certainly eyebrow-raising. Four parties (if you count Alliance in that camp) on over 10%, a dead heat between the DUP and Alliance...I suppose there's no guarantee that the DUP will even be the largest unionist party going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Support for pro Union parties at close to 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Support for pro Union parties at close to 60%

Alliance are not a Pro-Union party. They specifically position themselves as not taking a position on the constitutional question and as an alternative to the green/orange politics of the North.

It hugely demeans what they stand for when you try and shoehorn them into one camp or another for petty point scoring.

Support for pro-Union parties is at 41% as per that poll. Support for pro-Unification parties is at 37%. Why sacrifice credibility to make a point that stands without the lies?

At least it's not as bad as previous claims that they support NI Separatism I suppose.

• Advertisement

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Alliance are not a Pro-Union party. They specifically position themselves as not taking a position on the constitutional question and as an alternative to the green/orange politics of the North.

It hugely demeans what they stand for when you try and shoehorn them into one camp or another for petty point scoring.

Support for pro-Union parties is at 41% as per that poll. Support for pro-Unification parties is at 37%. Why sacrifice credibility to make a point that stands without the lies?

At least it's not as bad as previous claims that they support NI Separatism I suppose.

Alliance are going to be a 'Unionist' party today. Tomorrow a repository for the 'Northern Irish' Identity. :)

Alliance are going to be a 'Unionist' party today. Tomorrow a repository for the 'Northern Irish' Identity. :)

Schrödinger's Party vibes certainly follow them around in less than genuine debates.

The SDLP, Greens, UUP, and the Alliance Party are all in firing line for the tired old nationalists in SF and the DUP. The world is starting to move on without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

The SDLP, Greens, UUP, and the Alliance Party are all in firing line for the tired old nationalists in SF and the DUP. The world is starting to move on without them.

Obviously you are looking at a different poll than everyone else. Alliance and sdlp down, Sinn Fein, UUP and TUV all up.

Alliance 16% (-2)
    UUP 14% (+2)
    SDLP 12% (-1)
    TUV 11% (+1)

No doubt your bedfellows will be along soon to tell us Sinn Fein are looking at being obliterated in the next election again. Utter denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FullyComp

CDarby wrote: »
    Obviously you are looking at a different poll than everyone else. Alliance and sdlp down, Sinn Fein, UUP and TUV all up.

Alliance 16% (-2)
    UUP 14% (+2)
    SDLP 12% (-1)
    TUV 11% (+1)

No doubt your bedfellows will be along soon to tell us Sinn Fein are looking at being obliterated in the next election again. Utter denial.

If those numbers translate into seats Poots will become FM. Sinn Fein once again are not up to the job

FullyComp wrote: »
    If those numbers translate into seats Poots will become FM. Sinn Fein once again are not up to the job

.....care to give a breakdown on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Care to explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just lead party on both sides of the border. I'd say they're content.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

LucidTalk

Alliance 16% (-2)
    UUP 14% (+2)
    SDLP 12% (-1)
    TUV 11% (+1)

Nationalist vote at 37%, over on the United Ireland thread, you would be dismissing this poll as unrepresentative.

Unionist vote at either 41% or 57%, depending on whether you consider the Alliance to be unionist or not today.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Nationalist vote at 37%, over on the United Ireland thread, you would be dismissing this poll as unrepresentative.

Unionist vote at either 41% or 57%, depending on whether you consider the Alliance to be unionist or not today.

If you can even find me using the word 'unrepresentative' on these forums I'd be surprised.
    No surprise your only answer is to try and undermine me. Modus operandi and all that.

• Advertisement

May as well say its a 53% vote in favour of joining the Klingon Empire if we're just going to assign parties to supporting various things even when they explicitly state that they don't hold a position on it.

What's with your constant disingenuous presentation of Alliance Party? They're quite clear on their position for anyone with a modicum of interest in honest debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

May as well say its a 53% vote in favour of joining the Klingon Empire if we're just going to assign parties to supporting various things even when they explicitly state that they don't hold a position on it.

What's with your constant disingenuous presentation of Alliance Party? They're quite clear on their position for anyone with a modicum of interest in honest debate.

That's funny, for the United Irelanders to get to 50%, they have to take 80% of the Alliance vote. Even Francie is not going to seriously suggest that is possible.

That's funny, for the United Irelanders to get to 50%, they have to take 80% of the Alliance vote. Even Francie is not going to seriously suggest that is possible.

That's not so much funny as it is entirely irrelevant to your attempts to (once more) paint them as either a Unionist or NI Separatist party, depending on what agenda you're trying to push with your latest, 'argument'.

Whatever smart-ar*ed commentary you want to add, your previous post is nonsense, and this one is mathematically suspect.

If Nationalist parties are on 37% and Unionist parties on 41%, that leaves 22% non affiliated. Nationalist parties would need to get 13% of this vote to get to 50%

For those mathematically challenged 13% out of 22% is 59%, not 80%....

The Alliance Party are the canary in the mine for the tired 'dem un' nationalism of the DUP and SF.

The SDLP also have some excellent performers. The UUP definitely have a challenge on their hands to bring younger unionists along a journey, but it seems this Beatty lad is a moderate.

Poots and O'Neill is the very definition of misery.

The Alliance Party are the canary in the mine for the tired 'dem un' nationalism of the DUP and SF.

The SDLP also have some excellent performers. The UUP definitely have a challenge on their hands to bring younger unionists along a journey, but it seems this Beatty lad is a moderate.

Poots and O'Neill is the very definition of misery.

While the SDLP lost me a long time ago (for reasons totally unrelated to the constitutional question), and the UUP have shown a great deal of electoral naivety (along with a healthy dose of varying attempts to out-Loyalist the DUP), I actually have plenty of time for Colum Eastwood and Doug Beatty on a personal level, I'd be much happier watching them all collapse and new parties not tied to green or orange like APNI form and grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Recent poll of alliance voters showed them as 75% supporting union

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Arbuckle

downcow wrote: »

Where did you see that.

downcow wrote: »

They are not a Unionist Party, designating them as such totally undermines what the party stands for. Saying, 'support for Unionist Parties stands at ____" and including votes for Alliance in that number is very clearly and obviously wrong. By voting for Alliance, one is not expressing an opinion either way on the issue, many may (softly) support continuation of the Union, some may (softly) support Unification, but it clearly isn't a core voting issue for these people, hence their decision to vote for a non-designated party.

I'd also be very interested in reading the source for that figure; I'm not casting doubt over it (I would've imagined a very significant percentage of the Alliance vote to come from soft Unionists, though obviously more open to persuasion to supporting Unification than the average DUP voter), I'd just like to see the breakdown.

They are not a Unionist Party, designating them as such totally undermines what the party stands for. Saying, 'support for Unionist Parties stands at ____" and including votes for Alliance in that number is very clearly and obviously wrong. By voting for Alliance, one is not expressing an opinion either way on the issue, many may (softly) support continuation of the Union, some may (softly) support Unification, but it clearly isn't a core voting issue for these people, hence their decision to vote for a non-designated party.

I'd also be very interested in reading the source for that figure; I'm not casting doubt over it (I would've imagined a very significant percentage of the Alliance vote to come from soft Unionists, though obviously more open to persuasion to supporting Unification than the average DUP voter), I'd just like to see the breakdown.

I’ll try and find it.

This is a UI thread, and UI is not decided by party seats, it is decided by popular vote. Hence it is very relevant to consider how the 16% alliance voters will poll

##edit. Apologies. I thought I was on another thread. A tad embarrassing lol

• Advertisement

Advertisement