Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Are you actually agreeing with me that we would have been better off remaining under British rule thanks to the mess that DeValera made of running the country and the obnoxious 1937 constitution he proposed to the country?

No, absolutely not. That regret is all your own.

We had to learn how to run a country. We certainly made mistakes but their are our mistakes that we have to own ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

blanch152 wrote: »
    Are you actually agreeing with me that we would have been better off remaining under British rule thanks to the mess that DeValera made of running the country and the obnoxious 1937 constitution he proposed to the country?

I see you are in the Redmond/Bruton school of British appeasement Blanch!

In fairness to Dev, he could have gone down the fascism route at the time, but he didn't and he kept us out of WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CaoimhinCong

No, absolutely not. That regret is all your own.

We had to learn how to run a country. We certainly made mistakes but their are our mistakes that we have to own ourselves.

Republicanism hasn't been implemented correctly since 1921ish. The founding concept of republicanism is lost on constitutional nationalism today.

Republicanism has been watered down and holds no relevance to the people of Ireland North or South today.

Republicanism hasn't been implemented correctly since 1921ish. The founding concept of republicanism is lost on constitutional nationalism today.

Republicanism has been watered down and holds no relevance to the people of Ireland North or South today.

Ideologies evolve and change. I wouldn't think any ideology of 1921 is the same as it is now.

Ideologies evolve and change. I wouldn't think any ideology of 1921 is the same as it is now.

Ideology doesn't evolve. Time evolves, but you don't water down an ideal. Sinn fein have done good work in the south and then sh!t all over it by doing the opposite in the North. This has been reoccurring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

"Sinn Féin provided party members with fake ID badges and instructions on how to misrepresent themselves as pollsters to survey households before and during elections.

An internal training manual reveals how activists were given detailed instructions on how to pose as researchers working for a polling company to covertly question voters.

The 77-page document set out how Sinn Féin members should ask voters about their intentions under the guise of the “Irish Market Research Agency” (IMRA), which does not exist."
    Did the council sanction this? Who sits on it? How does one get elected to it? Who is it accountable to? Most importantly, is it gender balanced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

"Sinn Féin provided party members with fake ID badges and instructions on how to misrepresent themselves as pollsters to survey households before and during elections.

An internal training manual reveals how activists were given detailed instructions on how to pose as researchers working for a polling company to covertly question voters.

The 77-page document set out how Sinn Féin members should ask voters about their intentions under the guise of the “Irish Market Research Agency” (IMRA), which does not exist."
    Did the council sanction this? Who sits on it? How does one get elected to it? Who is it accountable to? Most importantly, is it gender balanced?

From the indo Finty.
    Now wiggle wiggle wiggle...................

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-feinmembers-posed-as-pollstersto-collect-data-on-voters-40517853.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You can imagine the cries for resignations from sinn fein if such dishonest underhanded methods were used by any other party.

All animals are equal, but sinn fein animals are more equal than others is their moto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The information these door-to-door buckos gathered wasn’t uploaded to the Abú database……

Philip Ryan is about to strike journalistic gold. What a sinister party SF are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Lets see how SF respond to this one ... should be interesting ... did they have Hi-Viz jackets and the whole lot

I'd reserve any judgement till I see the evidence presented on this. I was a sinn fein member for 22 years, I no longer agree with them. Still yet I'll reserve judgement as it is an article with nothing as evidence put forward yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

The information these door-to-door buckos gathered wasn’t uploaded to the Abú database……

Philip Ryan is about to strike journalistic gold. What a sinister party SF are.
    So the charge is that Sinn Fein is too stingy to pay a polling company to do the exact same thing that they are doing in-house?

All newspapers commission survey companies to do this for them and they publish the findings. The other day Energia sent me a survey requesting information on how I rated their survey.

It will be interesting to hear what angle the Indo will have on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

jm08 wrote: »
    So the charge is that Sinn Fein is too stingy to pay a polling company to do the exact same thing that they are doing in-house?

eh? Have you missed out on the idea that SF were pretending to be an official independent polling company - setting out to deceive the electorate.

Of course they will spin this by deflecting off on Leo's leaks and FF's links to the economic collapse rather than actually dealing with this deception

No playbook from HQ yet it would appear. Sense whataboutery across social media today.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

whippet wrote: »
    Lets see how SF respond to this one ... should be interesting ... did they have Hi-Viz jackets and the whole lot

I wouldn't take anything from the independent about Sinn Fein they have a strong hatred for Sinn Fein as everyone knows.

Also it was unusually short article wasn't it?

And anyway what is so bad about this? What is so awful, I can't see this causing any damage to Sinn Fein whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

All newspapers commission survey companies to do this for them and they publish the findings. The other day Energia sent me a survey requesting information on how I rated their survey.

It will be interesting to hear what angle the Indo will have on this.

angle? its deceitful and underhand. stop with the whataboutery for once in your god damn boards life. SF would be the first to whine about this if it was any other party.

I hate SF and if i was doorstepped by their party pretending to be market research and to have my details collated in a central database i'd be livid.

If this was any other party I doubt there would be much of a big deal made out, looks like the indo scraping the bottom of the barrel as they have been coming up short lately with their anti Sinm Fein\anti republican propaganda.

guy2231 wrote: »
    I wouldn't take anything from the independent about Sinn Fein they have a strong hatred for Sinn Fein as everyone knows.

The independent is owned by a Belgian media company, and this story is fact based. Journalists doing their job is a cornerstone of democracy.

If SF had a load of their ‘four green fields’ supporters going around door-to-door gathering information about the electorate then why wasn’t that info uploaded to Abú?

Something not adding up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If this was FFFG, the opposition would be screaming blue murder and calling for resignations.

It may not be that big an issue if they did it correctly. This kind of polling does go on all the time, the pollster will say that they're carrying out research on behalf of x,y,z and provides the individual with a data protection statement before asking them if they agree with their data being shared.

So if they did this, then it's likely not an issue. "Hi, we're with the IMRA carrying out research on behalf of Sinn Féin.." etc.

But if they didn't say this and they did ask for consent to share data with Sinn Fein, then they could find themselves in pretty serious sh1t.

starkid wrote: »
    angle? its deceitful and underhand. stop with the whataboutery for once in your god damn boards life. SF would be the first to whine about this if it was any other party.

I hate SF and if i was doorstepped by their party pretending to be market research and to have my details collated in a central database i'd be livid.

And there you have just announced why it is necessary because some people would not respond or not give truthful answers if they know who is looking for the information. I frequently get surveyed on all sorts of stuff where I haven't a clue as to who is going to get this information other than its for someone doing research on a general sector such as insurance. I am not told which company it is for.
    The important thing is that you do not have to answer if you don't want to.

The independent is owned by a Belgian media company, and this story is fact based. Journalists doing their job is a cornerstone of democracy.

If SF had a load of their ‘four green fields’ supporters going around door-to-door gathering information about the electorate then why wasn’t that info uploaded to Abú?

Something not adding up here.
    Mostly the same journalists and same editor. Harris got the boot by the new editor of the Sindo.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

And there you have just announced why it is necessary because some people would not respond or not give truthful answers if they know who is looking for the information. I frequently get surveyed on all sorts of stuff where I haven't a clue as to who is going to get this information other than its for someone doing research on a general sector such as insurance. I am not told which company it is for.

jesus Christ man. this is a political party in a democracy in the midst of elections, not a ****ing corporation chasing profit. thats not the important thing at all.

the main point is SF would be the first to bitch and moan if it was FG doing it.

Most people wouldn't have an issue if they were open, honest and got off their political high horse. Its the very reason i hate the bastards. And no i wouldnt lie to them i'd tell them exactly what i think.

Christ i'm out. Sure i suppose if people who back SF can defend the killing of women and Children, what does fake pollsters matter. Its all part of " the cause " i suppose.

look its not the biggest crime. But as another poster put it best - SF's mantra is basically all animals and citizens are equal, but some more than others. its that inate hypocrisy and sanctimonious bs that makes me hate them. its exactly why the media loves to give them a good shoeing.

seamus wrote: »
    If this was FFFG, the opposition would be screaming blue murder and calling for resignations.

It may not be that big an issue if they did it correctly. This kind of polling does go on all the time, the pollster will say that they're carrying out research on behalf of x,y,z and provides the individual with a data protection statement before asking them if they agree with their data being shared.

So if they did this, then it's likely not an issue. "Hi, we're with the IMRA carrying out research on behalf of Sinn Féin.." etc.

But if they didn't say this and they did ask for consent to share data with Sinn Fein, then they could find themselves in pretty serious sh1t.

They would be screaming blue murder and FF - FG- Greens and their supporters would bat it away like they do with any revelations about them. Need I list what revelations I am referring to?

Could somebody explain what the great travesty is about this? Other than a kind of silly way to gather info that polling companies do all the time. There are explicit instructions to not put info with named people in the booklet.

Silly carry on from the Shinners if it is true.

seamus wrote: »

I see on twitter that this is from 10 years ago, so irrelevant under todays laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Wow, just wow.

Sinn Fein campaigners are allowed lie to people because people would not give personal information to them if they knew who they were.

Do you understand how many ways this breaches Data Protection legislation? We are heading towards criminal behaviour. If this is true, the DPC may have to call in the Gardai.

Is this going to be another backfire when it is revealed they all have issues with doing the same thing...like being GDPR compliant or favouring anonymous accounts to big them up? :) This guy doesn't look like a Shinner to me.

https://twitter.com/rosspmccarthy/status/1402541261052129280

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I see on twitter that this is from 10 years ago, so irrelevant under todays laws.

The ballot paper referenced by Ryan appears to be from the Meath East by-election of 2013, 8 years ago.

An interesting angle to take though, that because laws and society were different then, we should apply different standards now. However, it is only 8 years ago, not like comparing 1921 to 1971.

However, if any of that information is on the Abu database, then we are talking really serious breaches.

• Advertisement

As if anyone would care if this was FF/FG anything at all about the shinners and the desperate haters of Sinn Fein are jumping all over it as they have been running short on things to bash Sinn Fein with the last few years.

Not a big deal at all, I couldn't picture any shinner supporters making a big deal out of this if FG were involved despite what the desperate on this thread would have you believe.

Advertisement