Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

jm08 wrote: »
    How were they lying? They were not doing anything that a commercial polling company wouldn't have been doing.

Leo says that he employed professionals to do it for him, but he is not sure what others might have done.

Except they weren't a commercial polling company, so they were lying. What's more, that information probably ended up on the Abu database.

As for Leo, the difference is, and this is a big difference, is that polling companies won't tell you that we called to Mr. Jim at number 12 and he said he was voting for the Social Democrats. They can only tell you that you are polling at 12% in the constituency. A huge huge difference in the level of information available.

We were told that Sinn Fein's problems with data protection was a non-story and that it would go away. I would guess that the DPC investigation is only gathering speed as more and more evidence presents itself of the murky potentially criminal details of Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭elperello

How were they lying? They were not doing anything that a commercial polling company wouldn't have been doing.

Leo says that he employed professionals to do it for him, but he is not sure what others might have done.

They were lying by deliberately misrepresenting themselves to voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Surely the constituencies were doing that? Buying offices which they probably got for half nothing. Better the rental fee go into the back pocket of the party rather than in the property portfolio of the landlord classes of FFG TDs/councillors.

So it was the constituencies who had the money and were buying the property all over the country.
    piplip87 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1402520831650054145?s=19

They where told to tell people they where working with an INDEPENDENT COMPANY. This is wrong, this unethical. Again SF trying to justify lying to the electorate.

And it was the constituencies who organised the polls.
    Did they have all that money back in 2015? They were a small party in number and they were yet to be left the money (probably still don't have it). Anyway, as far as I can recall, that money is to be spent on education and looking after former IRA prisoners and their families who may be suffering hard times. I don't think they could use it for something like polling.

But the party had no money.

There are so many holes in this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If someone shows up to my door and says they're from Amárach, or Behaviour&Attitudes, or RedC, or MRBI and have credentials to back that up, then I'll engage with them.

When someone shows up from a company that literally doesn't exist....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:D:D I did wonder why he turned comments off and a negative SF story is unusually behind a paywall on the Indo.

Having heard FG's statement on the News At One(apparently Labour have said they done this too) I would say this isn't far off the mark.
    As a rule of thumb, if Philip turns comments off you can guarantee his SF scoop affects other parties.

https://twitter.com/PieceOfPi552/status/1402620494214467587

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

If someone shows up to my door and says they're from Amárach, or Behaviour&Attitudes, or RedC, or MRBI and have credentials to back that up, then I'll engage with them.

When someone shows up from a company that literally doesn't exist....

I got a request this morning from a company called Opinions Market Research which I have never heard of:

This is all the information I got (along with how long it would take to do it and that it was in the strictest confidence).

You are invited to participate in this survey about financial providers and banks in Ireland

Would you answer that survey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Don't all political parties pay private companies for door to door surveys?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I got a request this morning from a company called Opinions Market Research which I have never heard of:

This is all the information I got (along with how long it would take to do it and that it was in the strictest confidence).

Would you answer that survey?

Well, they exist as a business, so that puts them at least one rung above the Shinners non-existant one.

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Business/Opinions-Market-Research-647141

Shebean wrote: »
    Don't all political parties pay private companies for door to door surveys?

They do. And the companies doing the surveys don't say who they are doing them for.

Well, they exist as a business, so that puts them at least one rung above the Shinners non-existant one.

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Business/Opinions-Market-Research-647141

So would you answer the survey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

They do. And the companies doing the surveys don't say who they are doing them for.

Do the company's employees carry false ID and claim to work for a fictitious company?

Do they make individual responses and contact details available to party members?

:D:D I did wonder why he turned comments off and a negative SF story is unusually behind a paywall on the Indo.

Having heard FG's statement on the News At One(apparently Labour have said they done this too) I would say this isn't far off the mark.

Any further information on FG and Labour activities? Have they been sending out party members with fake ID and lying about who they represent?

If they've all been at this then my faith in the political system will sink a little bit lower.

What Sinn Fein did is not comparable with polling companies.

Not just because they lied and said they represented a polling company rather than being party activists, but because the manner in which the information is used is completely different.

Polling companies through planned sampling obtain sets of data which they anonymise and then use to provide an overall picture of what attitudes, opinions, or beliefs are.

Sinn Fein, through deception, obtained information targeted to individuals and households that they could then target to influence their political beliefs. Hopefully that's all they ever would do with that info if they were in power.

It's pretty sinister stuff, is not common, and at the very least is like the real world version of Cambridge Analytica and Trump.

So would you answer the survey?

Given the number of scams floating around, I'd be very cautious about giving any information even remotely connected to finances over the phone

But this thread is about a serious breach of ethics that has been admitted by one political party and rumours that other parties have done something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So is there a database with details of how each individual votes etc?

Political party affiliation etc?

Thats quite worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I for one totally believe Lisa, I also believe Gerry was never in the IRA.
    Amusing to include ABU in the handle.
    The botness is strong in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I for one totally believe Lisa, I also believe Gerry was never in the IRA.
    Amusing to include ABU in the handle.
    The botness is strong in this one.

Or you don't know when you are being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Judging by the silence on this by Neil Richmond and others on Twitter today I'd say Ryan's story this morning is a non runner, or else they're all it.

Funny you should mention they are all at it. What do the FFG supporters on here say now.

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1402663572535136262?s=20

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Funny you should mention they are all at it. What do the FFG supporters on here say now.

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1402663572535136262?s=20

Pretty sure he said they have sent people out to ask questions.

He didn't say they had fake ID badges and said they were from a made up organisation.

Wouldn't blow my load just yet if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I see Boylan is renting out a pad in Killiney.

What is going on here, O’Broin sending out fake polling ‘activists’ !!!

Lot of slates being lifted here…… Boylan and O’Broin and some brace of charlatans and chancers.

Time to drain the swamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Simon Harris - "it's sinister"
    Half an hour later Varadkar says FG did it til 2017.
    These idiots are running the country ffs.

Simon Harris - "it's sinister"
    Half an hour later Varadkar says FG did it til 2017.
    These idiots are running the country ffs.

Didn’t say they were sending out fake pollsters with fake ids conning the electorate.

Need an enquiry into the tactics of SF…… Gardai apparently interested in their activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Pretty sure he said they have sent people out to ask questions.

He didn't say they had fake ID badges and said they were from a made up organisation.

Wouldn't blow my load just yet if I were you.

Well, how do you pose as a fake pollster without fake id?

I see Boylan is renting out a pad in Killiney.

What is going on here, O’Broin sending out fake polling ‘activists’ !!!

Lot of slates being lifted here…… Boylan and O’Broin and some brace of charlatans and chancers.

Time to drain the swamp.

I think it was Killarney and she rented it out for 4 months.

Indo article has disappeared, I read it earlier.

Funnily enough the only photo in the article was of Boylan despite the fact the SD and FF candidates owned much more valuble property and took way more income out of them.

Indo becoming more like the Daily Mail every day.

Need an enquiry into the tactics of SF…… Gardai apparently interested in their activities.

LOL

Jesus the FFG apostles blow their load at any hint of a story that might stop SF march towards being the biggest party. Sorry to tell you but this attempt has fallen flat.

Even if this was just SF (and it's clear now it was all of them so why are so still going on about it?), does taking a poll with a fake id compare with destroying the country, forcing hurdreds of thousands to emigrate and causing thousands of deaths by suicide?

Hmm.. it's a tough call alright.

LOL

Jesus the FFG apostles blow their load at any hint of a story that might stop SF march towards being the biggest party. Sorry to tell you but this attempt has fallen flat.

Even if this was just SF (and it's clear now it was all of them so why are so still going on about it?), does taking a poll with a fake id compare with destroying the country, forcing hurdreds of thousands to emigrate and causing thousands of deaths by suicide?

Bit of an overkill there dude, you would do better to tone down your hyperbole a little bit to be even remotely plausible.

If you think that post is plausible …..well ‘ challenged’ is the word which comes to mind.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Well, how do you pose as a fake pollster without fake id?

He didn't even say they posed as fake pollsters.

He said they have sent students out to gather information. Never said if it's was part of paid legitimate companies or not.

People are jumping the bandwagon. Could well be the same tactics as SF but let's wait until we hear the facts.

LOL

Ah so SF and political parties can do as many wrong things as they like long as its not what FF did 15 years ago.

Some logic that.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

Bit of an overkill there dude, you would do better to tone down your hyperbole a little bit to be even remotely plausible.

If you think that post is plausible …..well ‘ challenged’ is the word which comes to mind.

The guy clearly reads too much of the indo

• Advertisement

guy2231 wrote: »
    The guy clearly reads too much of the indo

What does that rubbish actually mean, a chara.

Advertisement