Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's a good day for the greens, soc dems, Labour, pbp etc.

SF, FG, FF it's not.

Treating the electorate like idiots.

Most of all it's a bad day for democracy.

Political parties are supposed to serve the interests of the electorate not abuse their trust.

:)...you say that after the day today? Read back the thread there...some embarrassing stuff from the usual us'es. :)

Now I doubt anyone gets embarrassed in these threads
    For some it's a job,some an obsession, others a curiosity,some an interest,some out of boredom etc etc
    But for everyone it's anonymous

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Now I doubt anyone gets embarrassed in these threads
    For some it's a job,some an obsession, others a curiosity,some an interest,some out of boredom etc etc
    But for everyone it's anonymous

Just as well, if you read some of the stuff today. It was as obvious from early this one was gonna backfire too.
    Silly political shenanagins, they are all at it, any of the main parties with the manpower to make it effective anyhow. Not much PBP or Soc Dems could learn from something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

:)...you say that after the day today? Read back the thread there...some embarrassing stuff from the usual us'es. :)

The fact you're just delighted that the other parties have been shown up to have done what SF have done sums it up.

You're not annoyed about the parties treating us like fools.

Just happy it's not just SF.

All you care about is the optics of SF. Nothing else.

Purely political. Never in the best interests of the country and its citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Thought this was a non-story from the start. That's why I never commented.

SF have much bigger and more shinnister issues going on than this.

• Advertisement

Thought this was a non-story from the start. That's why I never commented.

SF have much bigger and more shinnister issues going on than this.

I can't remember if I did,I don't think so
    Happy at that because I'm not vested in these threads
    For some it's their life (which should be something they'd want to be fixing tbh) :)

The fact you're just delighted that the other parties have been shown up to have done what SF have done sums it up.

You're not annoyed about the parties treating us like fools.

Just happy it's not just SF.

All you care about is the optics of SF. Nothing else.

Purely political. Never in the best interests of the country and its citizens.

JJ, I made my comment on it from the begining. It was not a good look and silly carry on. I knew they all did it, just like I knew they all were not GDPR compliant.

I am delighted to see the pile-on come to nought and a hack exposed yet again...that is always a good thing for de people.

because I'm not vested in these threads

Always around to wag the finger though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

elperello wrote: »
    Most of all it's a bad day for democracy.

Political parties are supposed to serve the interests of the electorate not abuse their trust.

I don't understand why people are so uptight about what they are doing. From the form that they were using as the questionnaire, the info they colleceted about who they were going to vote for and to prioritise what were their issues (jobs, education, housing, health etc). These were just tick boxes. There was also a box asking what age group they were in.

Their name, address, phone no. etc were not taken, so basically the polls were anonymous (but good to know that the politicians actually knew what the issues were in the area).

How else are they to know whats on the general public's minds.

jm08 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are so uptight about what they are doing. From the form that they were using as the questionnaire, the info they colleceted about who they were going to vote for and to prioritise what were their issues (jobs, education, housing, health etc). These were just tick boxes. There was also a box asking what age group they were in.

Their name, address, phone no. etc were not taken, so basically the polls were anonymous (but good to know that the politicians actually knew what the issues were in the area).

We know from their own spokesman that one of the parties issued false id's identifying the party members as employees of a fictitious polling company.

That is misrepresentation and a betrayal of the trust that should exist between politicians and the electorate.

If that is not enough to make people uptight I fear for the future of politics in this country.

• Advertisement

Always around to wag the finger though.

Would you have it any other way?

We know from their own spokesman that one of the parties issued false id's identifying the party members as employees of a fictitious polling company.

That is misrepresentation and a betrayal of the trust that should exist between politicians and the electorate.

If that is not enough to make people uptight I fear for the future of politics in this country.

Do you not see the benefits though of politicians having such information where the answers are not 'lead' because of who is asking the questions.

Any time I answer the door to a canvasser that I know what party they are from, Im influenced by what I think of them as a party. For instance, if a FG canvasser called to the door and asked me what the issues were, I'd probably tear into them for how they have treated Kate O'Connell and why have they put Geoghegan forward, whereas if an anonyomous poller asked me what my issues were, I'd tell them what my real concerns are (housing, climate change, brexit, health etc. etc.

Do you not see the benefits though of politicians having such information where the answers are not 'lead' because of who is asking the questions.

Any time I answer the door to a canvasser that I know what party they are from, Im influenced by what I think of them as a party. For instance, if a FG canvasser called to the door and asked me what the issues were, I'd probably tear into them for how they have treated Kate O'Connell and why have they put Geoghegan forward, whereas if an anonyomous poller asked me what my issues were, I'd tell them what my real concerns are (housing, climate change, brexit, health etc. etc.

It's not the answers and their usefulness to the politicians that is the problem it's the sneaky underhand way they got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This is mad Ted. Mc Sharry has now just called on MM to make a statement regarding FG 'abuse' of democracy by 'pollsters' and has also called on MM to resign himself over the same issue re FF.

Lots of lads wetting themselves earlier when this broke are now having to eat some humble pie.

How are the polls anonymous when the pollster records the address and answers given by each household???

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

I'm only getting a chance to log on here today, but I could barely believe my ears earlier. I've made no secret that I am a disillusioned (now ex) FF voter, I can tell you first hand this has definitely happened under both Bertie and M.Ms FF.

Is this journalist Ryan a SF plant? He keeps growing their support for god's sake.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    This is mad Ted. Mc Sharry has now just called on MM to make a statement regarding FG 'abuse' of democracy by 'pollsters' and has also called on MM to resign himself over the same issue re FF.

Lots of lads wetting themselves earlier when this broke are now having to eat some humble pie.

Are you not more bothered by what SF, FG and FF have done?

Conned people.

Or are you just delighted it's not only SF?

How are the polls anonymous when the pollster records the address and answers given by each household???

Well you might ask.

How do we know what use was made of the information or where it is now for that matter?

Are you not more bothered by what SF, FG and FF have done?

Conned people.

Or are you just delighted it's not only SF?

I posted here earlier today that as everything was so quiet on the political commentary front that I assumed they were all at it.

I used to be heavily involved in the LP upto 2011, the time Rabbitte made his remark “Isn’t that what you tend to do during an election?” when asked if he admitted to breaking pre-election vows.

So no I'm not surprised that they're all at it. I'm just enjoying the fact that lots on here and elsewhere were crying 'murder most foul' when it was SF but in actual fact it turns out O'Broin was spot on when he mentioned it today.

Story now appears to be is why did FF deny it on Saturday when asked and now this evening have come out mea culpa.

For gawds sake!

Political shenanigans elperello...not the end of civilisation as we know it.

Akin to faking an injury on the football field.

Why people who support FG and FF piled on to this and other 'scoops' about SF really eludes me. Have they no awareness of what went on in this state since independence and that it was highly likely they were at it as well?

If it was for electoral purposes it is nothing more than people outside polling booths or flopping over in the penalty area. Silly when you are caught at it. Sillier still when your Minister (Harris) climbs up onto the high moral ground just as you are admitting to doing the same thing. :):)

• Advertisement

For gawds sake!

Political shenanigans elperello...not the end of civilisation as we know it.

Akin to faking an injury on the football field.

Why people who support FG and FF piled on to this and other 'scoops' about SF really eludes me. Have they no awareness of what went on in this state since independence and that it was highly likely they were at it as well?

If it was for electoral purposes it is nothing more than people outside polling booths or flopping over in the penalty area. Silly when you are caught at it. Sillier still when your Minister (Harris) climbs up onto the high moral ground just as you are admitting to doing the same thing. :):)

Gotta laugh at some of the commentary tonight. The latest being that FG must be getting sick and tired of being shelled with friendly fire by Philip Ryan and the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I reckon O'Broin adamantly saying he knew other parties did this forced them all to come clean.

Another hilarious episode it has to be said.

Does this make him a tout?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

Ronin247 wrote: »

Or maybe a whistleblower?

Ronin247 wrote: »

No, just somebody who in my eyes broaches no bull****. He immediately accepted they did it and quite rightly (even though the media who interviewed him tried to make it an exclusively Shinister event) pointed out it was standard practice.

Anyone reading that story from the bould Philip Ryan would want to have been very naïve not to realise they all did this just like the GDPR stuff.

As I said...want to know if a 'journalist' has an agenda...study his due diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There are commemorations/anniversaries every day Doc, that is the tragedy of conflict/war.

You carry on selecting and watching to see if there is the appropriate comment and be ready to get in a political huff about it. Lovely.

Tell us, what 'War' was the Gardai involved in Limerick, 1996?

That murder was nothing else but murder. Trying to dress it up as some sort of conflict between nations is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The Garda Representative Association pulls no punches.

https://twitter.com/gardarep/status/1401708195475865600?s=21

Brilliant response from the GRA.

Deafening silence from the usual cohorts and SF on the issue. Even 25 years later they still defend this stuff.

They don't record their name or their address. Sample questionnaire :

https://ibb.co/tKGLBSj

markodaly wrote: »
    Tell us, what 'War' was the Gardai involved in Limerick, 1996?

That murder was nothing else but murder. Trying to dress it up as some sort of conflict between nations is disgusting.

This was discussed way back on the thread. I don't think anyone here was trying to dress it up as anything.

RIP Jerry McCabe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No, just somebody who in my eyes broaches no bull****. He immediately accepted they did it and quite rightly (even though the media who interviewed him tried to make it an exclusively Shinister event) pointed out it was standard practice.

Anyone reading that story from the bould Philip Ryan would want to have been very naïve not to realise they all did this just like the GDPR stuff.

As I said...want to know if a 'journalist' has an agenda...study his due diligence.

Like Eoin O Murchú is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭jmcc

At this stage, FGHQ must be dreading the words "a Philip Ryan exclusive". If someone gave him a copy of the Proclamation of Independence he'd write a story of how it is proof of an SF plot to take over the country.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement