Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

And what does the official video (banned by the BBC & RTE) say?

Here it is for you to have a look at. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts

Well, in fairness to SF, if they have anything to do with that Feile in Belfast, they should be congratulated. By having that Festival they are diverting people away from violence when there are a couple of very emotional anniversaries - Internment Without Trial and the Ballymurphy Massacre. Exactly what unionist politicians should be trying to do during the marching season rather than encouraging young loyalist to riot.

What has been done here with nationalists/republicans is exactly what Delores wanted.

Last year ended in serious rioting as psni moved into remove a bonfire at divis flats vs when uvf stopped july 11th bonfires being removed

Kind of exposes the virtue signaling around peace/non-violence for what it is......that being said,perhaps the locals of boards can supply a list of songs/music that is/isnt allowed,so as to prevent future upset

Actually, it was Dessie O'Hare who was doing all the kidnapping around that time. Dessie was a member of INLA having being kicked out of the PIRA. He was also kicked out of INLA and set up his own paramilitary organisation. She may not have gone to Canada then, but she certainly sold her house in the country because it was in the middle of nowhere and the gardai told her that she was a paramilitary target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ah now, don't be introducing nuance or complexity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This.

As the saying goes, you can chew gum and walk at the same time.

You can call out SF/PIRA for the horendous acts of violence perpertrated by them, with no democratic mandate by the way, and also call out Loyalists etc..

SF/PIRA supporters live in a black and white Trumpian world, where if you are against 'us' then you are the enemy. The majority of the people of Ireland hated the PIRA so I guess the people of Ireland are the enemy, and the SF types call themselves Republican, with a straight face. lol

This, but SF types want to alter history and facts to suit some other agenda. Its kinda like how some GOP supporters sing, 'Born in the USA!' by Bruce Springsteen not knowing the meaning behind the song which is actually a criticism of the USA, but there are stupid and ignorant people in every country I guess. They have their redneck types and we have our 'Up da Ra' types.

The Cranberries like the vast majority of the Island were horrified and disgusted by the acts of wanton murder and violence perpetrated by the PIRA, in our name.

Fighting for Ireland's freedom or some other such nonsense that is used to brainwash the stupid and gullible. Sure, if you murder a child and it's for Ireland's freedom, it's not a crime, am I right??

Killing a woman in a clothes shop helps the cause.

Murdering a 3-year-old toddler helps a Nationalist on the Falls Road.

And on it goes...

Then why are SF, a Pro-war party using tweeting about it?

• Advertisement

Far as I can see they are no more 'pro war' than any other party on the island is.

Nobody 'wants' war mark, unless you are in the pocket of the arms industry etc.

I know it galls some that SF embraced the peace and made the best of it for their voters who have continued to reward them for that.

The SF guy tweeting what he did, was just underling or recognising what some perceptive people knew back then, that the day would come when all the conflict/war would be behind them and they would prevail to enjoy equality and rights they didn't have then, i.e. 'our reward will be the laughter of our children'.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with that reminder of what Sands said, coming from a SF member. If you haven't worked out by now that SF supported the IRA, I can't help you. And another reminder, Section 31 is no more, they are no longer censored/silenced.

Mark, did you watch the Ballymurphy Massacre documentary?

If not, I'd advise it. You might learn something about the conflict in Northern Ireland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ANOsYa1ZOU

There tweeting about it because it is so much better to see young people dancing and singing songs in a park in West Belfast than banging bin lids and bonfires to commemorate the anniversary of Internment. Unionists politicians could take a leaf out of SFs book on how to commemorate events from during the Troubles.

I said it earlier and it is worth repeating, there are people here who are happier when the young people of the north are performing to their much cherished stereotypes and tropes of violent irredeemable rabid republicans.

A young audience embracing the notion that war and violence is wrong, having fun in a positive peaceful way, is anathema to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

"Sinn Féin’s Eoin Ó Broin comfortable with commemorating IRA man whose firebomb burnt a woman alive in front of child she pushed to safety"

I'm sure he will "fix the housing" though so all good for the disciples.

I notice the glossing over what he also said in reply...just concentrate on the juicy bits.

I think he nails the hypocrisy about these issues when he talks about Jerimiah O'Donovan and 'who' commemorates him and what he did. Of course you guys won't go near addressing that hypocrisy, like young people not performing to the stereotypes, that is anathema to youse.

He's spot on here too and this conversation will have to be held, sooner or later.

I'm just saying this is something that happens regularly, and either we accept that all sections of the community have a right to commemorate and celebrate, or we don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

If you agree with him on this "Sinn Féin’s Eoin Ó Broin comfortable with commemorating IRA man whose firebomb burnt a woman alive in front of child she pushed to safety" we have nothing to talk about.

I don't have 18 hours a day to be on here pushing out a party line. Just hope the wages are good.

Another who has fallen for the salacious headlining of the Indo.

He didn't say he was "comfortable with commemorating IRA man whose firebomb burnt a woman alive in front of child she pushed to safety" he said he was 'comfortable commemorating Thomas McElwee' and he pointed out that commemorations like this are the norm. Jerimiah O'Donovan being a case in point. Are we the nation commemorating the acts he committed?

Or the Tom Clarke case, is the bridge we named in his honour commemorating the fact one of his acts killed a 14 year old boy in England?

Not a hope you will address these issues I guess, much better to keep throwing out a salacious headline.

SF advocated peace because the PIRA was defeated where they gave up their arms for a few seats at the NI Assembly and plus some expenses.

Again, SF are too stupid to see the irony of posting that about song when that song was anti-SF/PIRA.

The pira was militarily at its peak in the 90s?

Ability to contest ground almost anywhere in the north,strike and bomb mainland at will without being impeded,it could easily faught on for another 30 years,one of its largest military engagement was in belfast in 1997.....its generally accepted as military stalemate?

Like would liberials not have learned,ya wont crush a native guerilla insurgency,from vietnam to afganistan....why yous think its different in NI is beyond me,but who needs facts or logic though

• Advertisement

No more than youth positivity being anathema to the partitionist narrative and having therefore to be criticised in some way, so also is the nationalist/republican grasping of the peace and their ability to get an agreement that fundamentally changed lives in the north and the south.

The achievement of the GFA can be seen physically everyday of the week where I am from and I know it galls the partitionist everyday, the electorate do not reward the comfy seat hoggers of the SDLP for that, they consistently reward SF.

There is a disappointed cohort in the south who really really need to get over that simple fact.

You don't need to vote for SF, you just need to accept why they keep getting elected and why they grew to be the biggest political party in the south's opinion and in the opinion of the northern Irish community.

People vote for those that achieve for them, they don't vote for the 'defeated'.

And again, I suggest you also take on board the artist's interpretation of the song -

"It doesn't name terrorist groups or organisations," she told the NME in 1994. "It doesn't take sides. It's a very human song.

Then why did the PIRA and SF sue for peace and give up their arms?

The British are still there in the North, and they are armed. The PIRA are not armed and have apparently gone away.... so who really won the war?

All I can do in response is report the LIE you have told again here - that I supported the killing of children much less anyone else.

On the rest of your vitriolic post, I NEVER said 'it had NOTHING to do with the IRA' that is another in a litany of outright LIES. Here are two posts I made earlier in this discussion that accepts the genesis of the song and that it was about the IRA BUT also those who use violence against the innocent. It is an anti war/conflict. How you can turn that into me defending the killing of children defeats me, but you did it before too.

*Interesting that this week on Reeling in the Years that the the song was not used as the soundtrack to the recollection of Tim and Jonathon's deaths but was used the next day as the back track to the recollection of the Rwandan genocide.

Those two earlier posts that you either missed or wilfully missed.

They'll ignore all this and insist it is ONLY about the IRA, when it is about the IRA and anyone who uses violence.

And the other one

We know she was critical of the IRA and we know the genesis of the song was Warrington but she was also critical of all perpetrators of violence and the toll it took on innocents.

Again:

"It doesn't name terrorist groups or organisations," she told the NME in 1994. "It doesn't take sides. It's a very human song.

You disgrace her by claiming she was writing only about one organisation and was taking a side.

It ended in military stalemate,in that neither side could win

The pira didnt give up its arms until 2005,if you buy that they gave em up,that is (they gave roughly what assestments said they had,but something like 12 times amount of semtex was estimated they had,was decommissioned,draw from.this your own conclusions)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

I recall the 1916 commemoration and even an attempt at a RIC/Black and Tan commemoration. Charlie Flanagan often attends remembrances for RIC and the like. These people didn't cover themselves in glory. They don't cancel each other out, but I must ask is it all such things you have a problem with or do you condemn those who take part in november's remembrances and others such as Fine Gael reflecting on the glory days of the empire?

As I've said, there might as well be a Fine Gael thread only talks about Collins murdering people, Nazism or the Black and Tans. Not current Affairs, for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

State commemoration for the black and tans = good

Neil Richmond attending orange parades, pictured with banners of Cromwell = good

FF and FG attending republican memorial and commemorations = good.

SF do similar = bad.

Have I got this right folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭mikethecop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

It's funny how the members of the scofflaw and disorder party can't let a day pass without using the conflict/troubles, while trying to ridicule one side of a peace process for signing up to peace and then having the brass balls to claim it's them can't let the past rest :)

The conflict is over lads. We have a peace. People have a right to commemorate as they see fit, you don't have to like it.

Yeah I'm sure working people having to sleep on their Ma's couch will be thinking of Shergar when they go to the polls :)

Ye lads are detached from reality.

The Orwellian connection here is your inability to read posts.

Here is what he/she said, pay particular attention to the last 3 words here, then cringe for yourself for missing the 'nuance'. 🙄

Actually, it was Dessie O'Hare who was doing all the kidnapping around that time.

EDIT: I can't delete the Blaaz quote which shouldn't be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Doubt if Cullinane would agree with that spin, given his outburst .

Stop digging Mr B, your posts are pathetic flapping trying to defend the indefensible.

And if you want ‘ backup’ just read the thread over the last few pages.

People are not idiots, dude.

Advertisement