Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Tiochaidh Ar Lá is a political slogan. It's funny when people get upset about it's use.

Funny how...........how is it funny?

Tiochaidh Ar Lá is a political slogan. It's funny when people get upset about it's use.

m00841.jpg?w=1272&h=860

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Funny how...........how is it funny?

It would be akin to me getting upset about 'Ourselves Alone' or 'A Future To Look Forward To' or 'Soldiers Of Destiny' etc.

Are you upset that a political slogan has been appropriated? Contact the INLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

It would be akin to me getting upset about 'Ourselves Alone' or 'A Future To Look Forward To' or 'Soldiers Of Destiny' etc.

It's a slogan linked to violence in Ireland, the IRA and SF made it so and implied it would be by violent methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"Ireland for the Irish" is another political slogan. "Keep America American" was another one. Trump's "America First" was first used by the KKK. Maybe you could comment on the usage of "Blood and Soil" as well. Or how about "Stop the Steal"?

Lots of us get upset by the use of political slogans, it isn't funny. "Tiocfaidh ár Lá" (to use the correct spelling), or "Chucky" as it is commonly known, should be thrown in the same bin as those other outdated divisive political slogans.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

blanch152 wrote: »
    "Ireland for the Irish" is another political slogan. "Keep America American" was another one. Trump's "America First" was first used by the KKK. Maybe you could comment on the usage of "Blood and Soil" as well. Or how about "Stop the Steal"?

What have these got to do with SF? Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Its also linked to waterford hurling and our aspirations for an all ireland

Good luck with that:)
    Which will be first is the question?
    :D

It's a slogan linked to violence in Ireland, the IRA and SF made it so and implied it would be by violent methods.

So you want people to change a slogan/stop using it because you misunderstand it? Good luck with that, as they say.

Lots of us get upset by the use of political slogans, it isn't funny. "Tiocfaidh ár Lá" (to use the correct spelling), or "Chucky" as it is commonly known, should be thrown in the same bin as those other outdated divisive political slogans.

Nobody is forcing you to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

I class the "Tiocfaidh ár Lá" gang along with the "Trycolor" gang.
    You hear them shout it, ask them what it means and blank face.

Are you upset that a political slogan has been appropriated? Contact the INLA.

I’m merely pointing out that it’s a lot more than a ‘political slogan’.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

grayzer75 wrote: »
    What have these got to do with SF? Nothing.

They are other examples of unacceptable divisive political slogans that have seen their day.

I’m merely pointing out that it’s a lot more than a ‘political slogan’.

Petty stuff to be honest.

What people want from republicans is complete capitulation and an apology for existing.
    You are not going to get it.

A conflict/war sadly happened here that had many players. SF played a part in the conflict/war and in reaching a settlement. They didn't surrender their political aims or aplogise for them. Why would they now?

If you are offended, the Stephen Fry answer holdls true....'so what'?

They are other examples of unacceptable divisive political slogans that have seen their day.

You are not being forced to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It means our day will come??

I feel its a reasonable aspiration as regards uniting the country??

Trying to link it to racism,is illogical......is sean og a racist for giving his all ireland acceptance speech in irish now aswell?

FG are anti -Irish language as well, self hate seems to be their default setting,

FG are anti -Irish language as well, self hate seems to be their default setting,

How can you be anti to a language? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Sarah Carey of FG pedigree and long term blue shirt :

“You see, the truth is there IS no Irish language. There was a bunch of dialects Dineen tried to turn into a language as a nationalist plot.”

Sarah Carey, 02/10/2017

smurgen wrote: »

“You see, the truth is there IS no Irish language. There was a bunch of dialects Dineen tried to turn into a language as a nationalist plot.”

Sarah Carey, 02/10/2017

What is FG pedigree supposed to mean?
    I found the lady and she is a columnist for the Indo. Never heard of her before

Nothing unacceptable with 'Tiocfaidh ár lá' - it's merely a statement of fact.

• Advertisement

Ask Arlene and her mates in the UDA and UVF.

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Ask Arlene and her mates in the UDA and UVF.

They live in another country. Why would I ask them?

I class the "Tiocfaidh ár Lá" gang along with the "Trycolor" gang.
    You hear them shout it, ask them what it means and blank face.

Yeh? See I doubt you have ever done that.

Totally irrelevant anyway. Sinn Fein support isn’t just militant republicans which is why most of these kind of threads are spurious nonsense. The Sinn Fein vote was 31.8% amongst 18-24 year olds, the highest percentage, in that group by far. It was 31.7% amongst 25-34 years olds, falling to 22% amongst 35-49 year olds, and 22.8% 55-65. All of these were the highest percentage but it was bunched with FF and FG at 21-22%.

Amongst 65+ year olds the SF vote was only 12%.

It’s a young persons party. They don’t care about what happened in 1972 in Belfast. If these trends continue they are on for an overall majority in a decade or so.

Faster if ff-fgcontinue to not solve housing.

They live in another country. Why would I ask them?

Aye dead on :rolleyes:

Sarah Carey, 02/10/2017

FG needs to root out people like that as well.

FG needs to root out people like that as well.

Root out what? people who don't speak Irish?

Root out what? people who don't speak Irish?

People with her sentiment about Irish.

People with her sentiment about Irish.

Why? what you going to do to her?

Sarah Carey, 02/10/2017

Another FGer aligning themselves with the thoughts of the DUP. 'Co-incidence' they keep saying.

I'm sure Sarah would get a rousing round of applause at a DUP conference if she said that.

• Advertisement

Why? what you going to do to her?

Nothing. Can you read? What part of my sentiment that FG need to disassociate from that kind of rhetoric made you think that “I” was going to “do something” about it.

Advertisement