Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

How can you be anti to a language? :confused:

smurgen wrote: »
    Sarah Carey of FG pedigree and long term blue shirt :

“You see, the truth is there IS no Irish language. There was a bunch of dialects Dineen tried to turn into a language as a nationalist plot.”

Sarah Carey, 02/10/2017

Funnily enough the DUP aren't fans of the Irish language either.

DUP MP accused of mocking Irish language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

McMurphy wrote: »
    Funnily enough the DUP aren't fans of the Irish language either.

DUP MP accused of mocking Irish language

The DUP are a party in United Kingdom. Why would they care about the Irish language?
    Are you going to complain about other parties in the UK not concerned about the Irish language?

The DUP are a party in United Kingdom. Why would they care about the Irish language?
    Are you going to complain about other parties in the UK not concerned about the Irish language?

This is hard to parody.

Nothing. Can you read? What part of my sentiment that FG need to disassociate from that kind of rhetoric made you think that “I” was going to “do something” about it.

She is entitled to her opinion. I don't agree with it but that makes no difference. Are you saying people are not entitled to their own opinion? that a political party should "root" them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

She is entitled to her opinion. I don't agree with it but that makes no difference. Are you saying people are not entitled to their own opinion? that a political party should "root" them out? starting to sound like a particular party in Germany now

And the blueshirts would know all about that party........

• Advertisement

Another FGer aligning themselves with the thoughts of the DUP. 'Co-incidence' they keep saying.

I'm sure Sarah would get a rousing round of applause at a DUP conference if she said that.

The link to FG please?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Post of the week ^^^

Where to start?

The DUP are a party who share an island with us.
    The DUP have attended several FG conferences as guests.
    What other party's in the UK have disrespected the Irish language?

I don't speak Welsh, but I've never considered mocking the language, nor denied it's existence.

Now here's a question for you. Seeing as you asked how "it was possible to be anti language"?

Why must you be s deliberately obtuse?

It's an odd little hobby you have.

The link to FG please?

She worked for them.

She is entitled to her opinion. I don't agree with it but that makes no difference. Are you saying people are not entitled to their own opinion? that a political party should "root" them out?

Are you saying that cats are made of biscuits and cows eat starlight?

I am not saying that people are not entitled to their own opinion. This is weak comprehension again. I am saying that parties should control their members, which isn’t the same thing is it? You probably would be calling for the head of a Sinn Fein member who said something that was controversial.

• Advertisement

She worked for them.

"She has performed freelance PR/marketing work for a number of companies and the political party Fine Gael"

So everyone that has ever worked for FG should be forced to do what FG say? and should be a spokesperson for FG?

Strange point of view to be honest. Maybe she does support FG that doesn't in anyway suggest FG are "anti-Irish"

Post of the week ^^^

They are in the United kingdom so they probably never even heard of the Irish language, am I right?

I’ll leave now but if this is the level of opposition SF face then they are certain of victory some time. Which I am fairly ambivalent about. I wish there were a more centrist party to challenge FF & FG.

"She has performed freelance PR/marketing work for a number of companies and the political party Fine Gael"

So everyone that has ever worked for FG should be forced to do what FG say? and should be a spokesperson for FG?

Strange point of view to be honest. Maybe she does support FG that doesn't in anyway suggest FG are "anti-Irish"

I didn't say FG are anti-Irish.

I said it was further evidence of the easy alliance with the DUP, that some of those who support FG and who are in FG can make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

They are in the United kingdom so they probably never even heard of the Irish language, am I right?

I’ll leave now but if this is the level of opposition SF face then they are certain of victory some time. Which I am fairly ambivalent about. I wish there were a more centrist party to challenge FF & FG.

Vote for SF, they're fast becoming FF, and good luck after that.

I reckon it would be hard to find a political party on these islands that 'cares' more about the Irish language than the DUP. I'd include SF in that actually. :D

I didn't say FG are anti-Irish.

I said it was further evidence of the easy alliance with the DUP, that some of those who support FG and who are in FG can make.

Maybe you can clarify the lady link with FG and how according to this thread she is a spokesperson for FG on languages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I still say we need to split the thread into a historical IRA thread and a current SF thread to solve this problem. It keeps oscillating back and forth which is hugely frustrating.

It's all FF/FG have bless.
    Maybe one day they'll wake up and realise "It's not you, it's me".

If we took a poll here and asked how many have sent their kids to an Gaelscoil it would be no surprise to see the percentage would be very low.
    My kids go to one, growing so they have 60 kids per year. Two classes, only recently, before that one class per year.
    The local national school, 7-8 classes per year.
    Says it all really doesn't it and this is replicated across Ireland.
    Shouting and roaring on a thread about a political party and the Irish language is embarrassing when people don't use it themselves.
    Look at all the complaints when rugby moved on TG4, people turning the sound down and listening to the radio so they wouldn't have to listen to Irish.
    I think we need to look a bit closer than the DUP

Maybe you can clarify the lady link with FG and how according to this thread she is a spokesperson for FG on languages?

She worked for FG, has supported FG in her columns and comes from a strong FG family.

I never said anything about a spokesperson.

Might be fair comment and a good point, if you go on the other political threads and do the same regarding FF/FG etc.
    Where do you draw the line, is it 10 years, is it a hundred years?
    SF are pretty good at dredging up everybody else's history.
    I'm surprised at yourself for suggesting it.
    It's nearly as bad as picking out who and what you want discussed at any given time, it's attempting censorship is it not?

How often does Liam Cosgrave come up or even the Lowry/Noonan deals etc.? On occasion and only in context. I think talking about the IRA ans Sinn Fein connection is fine and dandy. However, talking about the 60's and 70's as it relates to the current government and opposition in current affairs is pure desperation and deflection. And as mentioned, mundane and repetitive. It's all old ground that's been covered.

• Advertisement

If we took a poll here and asked how many have sent their kids to an Gaelscoil it would be no surprise to see the percentage would be very low.
    My kids go to one, growing so they have 60 kids per year. Two classes, only recently, before that one class per year.
    Shouting and roaring on a thread about a political party and the Irish language is embarrassing when people don't use it themselves.
    Look at all the complaints when rugby moved on TG4, people turning the sound down and listening to the radio so they wouldn't have to listen to Irish.

Which has the sum of nothing to do with what we are talking about. :) Gas man.

jh79 wrote: »
    The problem with SF that some prominent members of the IRA continued with criminality after the GFA. SF by their actions seem to be ok with this criminality and seem to have a misplaced loyalty with these people.

That's an issue I have with them but I believe it's changing as these people grow older. FF/FG went through the same process I'd imagine.

Car insurance and insurance in general is a very complex issue. Doherty and a good number of Sf up and down the country have jumped on the Insurance bandwagon to appraise their support base. They {Sf] know well how complex and tricky the matter is but will never admit to this as it will upset the votes in the bank. Populists are only interested in getting pats on the back and getting their supporters 'blood up'
    On other matters and see with amusement that the Sf media machine is still working hard at running their own preferential polls that return, surprise surprise, Sf are the most popular party and MLD is the most popular leader results.
    In the passed, Sf were obsessed with Berty and now they appear to be obsessing over Leo.

This is a bit much.
    Is the idea any time any opposition politician or government politician raises and issue it's 'bandwagoning'?
    Issues need be raised and addressed. You can have your theories as to why but Doherty is doing his job and a good job IMO. Insurance, housing etc. are big issues to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How often does Liam Cosgrave come up or even the Lowry/Noonan deals etc.? On occasion and only in context. I think talking about the IRA ans Sinn Fein connection is fine and dandy. However, talking about the 60's and 70's as it relates to the current government and opposition in current affairs is pure desperation and deflection. And as mentioned, mundane and repetitive. It's all old ground that's been covered.

I have seen posters on here going right back to the 1930s in their attempts to smear Fine Gael.

Maybe you have never made a reference to O'Duffy, but you would be one of the few.

Why, what was wrong with it being broadcast in Irish might I ask:confused:

She worked for FG, has supported FG in her columns and comes from a strong FG family.

I never said anything about a spokesperson.

So she might vote FG
    So that is why people are saying FG are anti-virus?

smurgen wrote: »
    Sarah Carey of FG pedigree and long term blue shirt :

“You see, the truth is there IS no Irish language. There was a bunch of dialects Dineen tried to turn into a language as a nationalist plot.”

Sarah Carey, 02/10/2017

That is an interesting point of view, and well worth debating without the derisory dismissal that you are promulgating.

For example, consider the Irish language in Northern Ireland. The last remaining native speaker of Northern Irish dialects of Irish died in the mid-1970s. Subsequent attempts to revitalise the Irish language in Northern Ireland have used the Donegal dialect, rather than the dialects native to Northern Ireland. To be fair, this has been relatively successful, but an important point to note for critics of Ulster Scots is that the only difference with Irish in Northern Ireland is that the latter is further down the road of revival. The artificial origins are shared.

The broader resurgence of Irish has a similar tale. By the middle of the 19th century, Irish had fallen out of favour so much that only one Catholic seminary used Irish. By 1901, only around 20k spoke Irish as their only language. The language was dying, possibly even dead if you use certain measures, before there was a concerted push by the Gaelic League and subsequently the Government, post-independence, to revive it. Even today, there are doubts about how widely spoken and used it is. Bank of Ireland have reported that less than 1% use the Irish language on their machines.

While Sarah Carey's view is extreme, that may well have been just to start a debate, but the relevant points around the language and the standardisation process of Dineen do deserve some examination.

Of course, that should be for another thread.

A bunch of dialects is exactly what a language is. If dialects become incomprehensible they become languages. It’s fairly common to fashion a formal written language from dialects, too, generally by favouring one. The French did that with the central Parisian French. In Spain it’s Castilian Spanish.

Irish has a long written history too, longer than English.

A bunch of dialects is exactly what a language is. If dialects become incomprehensible they become languages. It’s fairly common to fashion a formal written language from dialects, too, generally by favouring one. The French did that with the central Parisian French. In Spain it’s Castilian Spanish.

Irish has a long written history too, longer than English.

Don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but it doesn't refute anything I posted on it.

Edit: On the written history, this list has Old English ahead of Old Irish by about 50 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_first_written_accounts

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have seen posters on here going right back to the 1930s in their attempts to smear Fine Gael.

Maybe you have never made a reference to O'Duffy, but you would be one of the few.

So have I. I've done it myself. TBF Councilor O'Leary tweeting his high regard for the blueshirts and Flanagan and Varadkar wanting to commemorate the RIC/Tans would bring that into the current context, however I think you will find that O'Duffy gets raised because some bright spark start banging on about the 'RA to deflect from FF/FG/Greens latest gaffe.

Advertisement