Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

The answer isn’t always something something FF/FG something something

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

The attitudes of some public servants may have been sympathetic to the Germans (eg Bewley and Joseph Walshe) but it's inaccurate to say "the state was cozy" with the Nazis. The IRA, as is their wont, took sympathy to irrational extremes and plotted militarily with the Nazis.

The state, including Walshe as a representative, prepared draft plans for military cooperation with the Brtis in the event of a Nazis invasion of this country. An invasion the IRA would probably have welcomed and abetted.

ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_W

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

It is in this case. It was a FF'er made the claim and online ghouls accepted it. If true the lad should be fired. If not true the FF'er should be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

We both know that at this precise moment this is being brushed under the carpet and it started with the tweet being deleted. If it was true why delete the tweet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Did anyone else catch SF front bench spokesperson Rose Conway Walsh on RTE Drivetime yesterday?

She was giving out about the new National Development Plan, yet was not able to answer very simple basic questions as to what SF would do instead or what targets they would have put in for some projects. You could sense the discomfort a mile off when anything pointed and direct is asked of SF, that is not some big rant. Can't wait for when these people get the big jobs, they are going to be skewered like a fresh trout on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Was she wrong? I mean isn't whats being implemented more pressing?

Standard, you should catch the Cullinane one on the HSE. Absolute disaster. Was shared here from someone who was impressed with him 😂

Couldn't remember what a modular build was, couldn't tell what wages a consultant was on, no answers to any question, just fired them over the wall. Spent the entire time talking about "da government", so much so the presenter had to ask him to talk about SF. Yet tried to claim he had done research

These guys haven't a breeze. All talk when telling everyone how terrible da government is, ask them for an alternative and the answer is "something something FF/FG something something"

Yes she is wrong, if she can't come up with an alternative then she is wrong. If SF had a better alternative and the government was wrong they would be showing everyone it, as they don't that means the government is right and no alternative exists. So much for "the best opposition ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well yes. Seeing as this development plan is meant to be a 20 year thing, the intention would be that subsequent governments would pick up the torch and continue after this one ends. But from the sounds of it, if SF did come to power in 2-3 years, they would scrap everything from this plan and no mention of what would replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It went something like this.

RCW "We need hard targets for these projects"

RTE: "What target would you/SF have for project x,y,z"

RCW: "Splutter......stammer........eh........ " Long awkward pause

RTE: "don't criticise, give us an alternative, what would SF do, what are the targets......"

RCW: More splutter......eh...hum......" Eventually breaks into another rant about 'da guberment'

SF is like a team that can only play long ball, when plan A fails, go back to plan A... ROFL

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, maybe you can tell us.

What alternative targets will Sinn Fein put on the plans, remember they expect to be in government by the time most of these will be delivered?

And secondly, which bits of the NDP will they drop and what will they replace it with?

Finally, if they want more projects, how will they finance them?

I haven't seen answers to those questions anywhere. I won't ask them on the government threads because those are about the government, but this is the Sinn Fein thread, so perhaps one Sinn Fein supporter might have an answer?

It's very quiet on this thread once a discussion comes up about current affairs and actually government policies. SF are starting to show the public that behind the shouting and roaring is not a whole pile. Why Mary Lou is letting these people onto radio etc when they clearly have done zero research or even bothered to try and come up with an alternative is shocking from a leader.

Of course the reason could be SF hope if they point the finger at the government that somehow a presenter might not ask them the dreaded question "Why what would SF do?"

Now this did work for the last 12 months or so but it would seem that people have copped onto that.

Dudley, as you and I know, outside the top two or three SF ‘performers’ are very thin on the ground.

No doubt you may have noticed that they are putting forward the lesser known names for these radio interviews, and the upper echelons are testing them out.

RTE apart from ‘Nooze’ Hannon ,beginning to cop on to them and ask the hard questions, to a certain extent.

These ‘tests’ are not going well, as we all can see as even the Govt have copped that you don’t put ‘firm dates’ on issues that have multiple side issues which one has no control over.

Took them a long time to figure that out , I have to say.

Dont give the opposition the ammo to fire at you.Seems fairly simple but it took a long time.

From the government you still have a lot of TD's who are just over 12 months into the role. They got thrown into a baptism of fire with covid. I suppose it will time to judge them after 5 years.

I would have thought getting the Health role was one of the better TD's but Cullinane was shocking the other day. To go onto an interview and talk about hiring loads of consultants and not even know the wages, or how the additional tax would affect them is just terrible. Every question was like a hot potato which he was hiring to departments in the HSE or even throwing his own TD's under the bus.

Strange how loads of people have pointed out the issue with hiring loads of consultants as SF promise while at the same time telling them all they will have to pay extra tax under a SF government. Not once has Doherty or Cullinane come out with an explanation of how this will work. These are not difficult questions, like its the first question everyone would ask yet silence.

They are supposed to be "the best opposition ever". According to everyone here they have better alternatives to what this terrible government are doing. Yet anytime they are asked a question on it its a game of "something something guberment something something" or ......well nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

opposition do not set goverment policy though , so what you posted was in fact a hames , one of many from what i can see !

to answer your question about govt policy , theres a discussion going on over in the actual govt thread ( it's called ffg in case you are trying to find it ) were ive seen numerous policies and introductions the actual govt set , including health and tax rates !

think you got a bit of a roasting in their this morning ref were mnc might relocate , prob why you have seam to abandoned it lolol

you do ask some absolute stupid questions to be honest though

Yes, but as you said yourself - "theirs an actual ffg thread to discuss " government policies " because unless ive missed some major developments , sinn fein arent in government setting policies".

This thread can usefully discuss SF alternatives and SF policy, unfortunately that doesn't give a lot of material is the point being made. Deflecting to another thread to discuss government policies doesn't wash, it very Cullinane-like, passing the hard question on to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

you going to try and tell me theirs not plenty of examples of posters being told " this is a sf thread " when someone mentions something about fg or ff blanch ? & that the exact same thing doesnt happen when someone mentions sf over on the ffg thread ?

that goes on by both posters and admin a like by the way ! looks like a few of you barred from ffg thread are now wanting to continue ffg discussion in the very thread you will happy give out about if people bring up ffg policies in it if it doesnt suit

haveing it both ways so to speak

• Advertisement

That is fantasy stuff.

I am interested in hearing the Sinn Fein position on issues, examining it, critically analysing it.

As you point out - "opposition do not set government policy though" - so the SF policy response is being looked at through the lens of whatever the Government is doing. However, I am not here to discuss whether or not Government policy is right or wrong - that is for the other threads - I am here to discuss whether or not the SF policy response is right or wrong.

To date, the conclusion seems to be that there is none, that they are only interested in opposition for opposition's sake, and that when one of their speakers (Cullinane) makes up policy on the run, he ends up contradicting himself and falling flat on the floor.

Distracting from that, as appears to be your aim, is interesting.

A lot of chickens coming home to roost Mr. B.

How can one trust a lad who says, and I paraphrase ‘We broke the bastard State…up the Ra’

And then think that the electorate can forget that?

Then you have Stanley and his Sabre rattling.

This country will go down the tubes if that kind of folk gain power.

The folk who get up early will be crucified while those who sit back and use the State from to grave will live fat on the pig.

Be very afraid folks, be very afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

While I don't really disagree with much of this, I don't really see what there is to be afraid of. What exactly is being done for those of us who get up early right now?

I suspect contrary to all the scaremongering, for most of us, it would be a case of, 'welcome to a SF led coalition government....much the same as the old coalition government' as the stark realities of maintaining election promises versus balancing budgets comes into play.

Hell, I'm fairly civically minded, I recognise that I'm in a pretty comfortable position, I've no issue paying taxes, but paying a marginal rate of 52% and seeing f*ck all for it except the extremely wealthy being looked after with one hand and the never-worked looked after with the other? Well I'm fed up with it....what odds to me if SF tilt the balance between those two more towards the never-work or FG/FF tip it a little more towards the extremely wealthy? All sorts of promises to reward work, yet all we really see is rewards for the don't need to work or the won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Worse case scenario IMO is any SF led government behaves like FF/FG.

I don't think so. Worst case scenario is that a Sinn Fein government brings equality by reducing us all to the standard of living in West Belfast, possibly the most deprived area in the UK, and ruled by Sinn Fein for generations.

Not really, based on the performance of SF in Northern Ireland and the disaster when they took control over DCC, it could be a complete disaster. One guy talking about hiring consultants while another one in the same party talking about taxing the cr*p out of the consultants. Not much of a HSE when all the consultants up and leave is it.

You think a housing crisis can get worse? well look at the mess SF made of DCC when they only took charge for a few years, we could up with 50-60k and growing homeless

The only saving grace for the people in Northern Ireland was they could leave and come to the Republic. What happens when both side of the border is a shambles with the same crowd making a mess? we all hop on the ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Or, God forbid, the people in the north get their living standards improved to come on par with the rest of the people in the South?

You obviously are aware that the Norths budget is set by and overseen by Westminster. Hardly surprising they don't feature high on the London govt pecking order, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

He ignores that and as with others come off like SF rules the north. Unless it's good news of course.

At some stage the finger pointing is going to have to stop, someone in SF is going to have to realise that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

Wait until the prospect of a united Ireland is discussed again... won't be long in being reminded then about who holds the purse strings for the north then let me tell you.

Haven't the FG gowls been on this site for years now telling us about how much the north costs the brits year on year, and now they would have you believe the shinners are actually setting their own budgets after all?

got a great laugh on twitter though the last 24hrs, "angry man shouts at cloud" sprung to mind.😂

Advertisement