Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Did what?

Are you saying the government should ignore public health advise and go on solo runs.... Yes/No..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

They did in the past. Look at the fuuck up last Christmas and how Leo savaged NPHET on TV.

OK, so you want the government to go on solo runs.... glad we have that cleared up.

SF apparently disagrees with you but there ya go.

I never said that. Why are you putting words in my mouth. I said they have already done solo runs yet you deflect.

Yet you wanted them to do another solo run on anti-gen testing.

• Advertisement

From the usually friendly Examiner

Ha ha ha,power hungry SF are heading to the centre

The Mar dhea idealist online army may brace themselves for great disappointment and turmoil in the next coalition or just absorb what they secretly knew all along

Some selections from the piece

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40733910.html

"How much is Sinn Féin willing to give up in its quest for power?

The party is on the one road — into government — but they ought to be wary of trying to be all things to all voters "

"It used to be the case in Ireland that you waited until you entered government before you gave up your principles, but Sinn Féin does claim to be the party of change.

Yesterday, Mary Lou McDonald's party voted to change its long and dearly-held policy against non-jury courts, which were once described as "the single biggest denial of fair trial rights in our legal system", according to the Irish Council for Civil Liberties (ICCL).

At the annual Dáil debate on the act in 2019, Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire, the party’s Cork South Central TD, called for the right to a jury to be protected in the Dáil. One assumes any further speeches will have to have the words "except in exceptional circumstances" added on to the end.

Despite opposition from everyone from the UN to Amnesty International, Sinn Féin has decided to let go of one of its core policies in what appears to be a blatant attempt to counter any further criticism that might come its way on the issue."

"A party with representatives wearing 'Repeal' jumpers in Dublin, and choosing not to vote against anti-choice legislation in Belfast, takes voters for fools and is no way to impact the meaningful change this island needs and Sinn Féin claims it so desperately wants.

If the price of power is sacrificing basic human rights to get there, then it should be a price too high to pay for a party that claims to believe in social justice."

"Left will be wary 

The slide to the centre was somewhat predictable as the party continues to shore up voters who would never have given it a vote before, and the party seems to have decided that alienating those who supported it because it wanted radical change is a risk worth taking.

Those on the left will be made more wary of Sinn Féin because of decisions like Saturday's, and they will be justified in their concerns."

Tiocfaidh ár Uturns

Next government is going to be the craic

Brostaigh oraibh 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I see Toireasa Ferris not too happy with things per the Indo…….wonder why?

Uhmmmm….

A former Sinn Féin councillor and daughter of party grandee Martin Ferris has described the party’s decision to end its opposition to non-jury courts as “utter bulls**t” and “cute hoorism”.

In a series of social media posts, long-serving Sinn Féin councillor Toiréasa Ferris criticised the shift in policy as “power at any cost” and said she will “now have to find another party to vote for”.

Ms Ferris’s comments came after the Sinn Féin ard fheis passed a motion which would see the party allow non-jury courts in exceptional circumstances should they be in power after the next general election.

Sinn Féin has opposed the Special Criminal Court since it was introduced and voted against legislation allowing the use of non-jury trials to convict terrorists and gangland criminals every time it comes before the Dáil.

In a post on Facebook, Ms Ferris said: “How can you square the circle of non-jury trials that don’t violate human rights, when you have a jury system generally, is beyond me.

“That whole motion is total and utter bulls**t. I call it electoral expediency and power at any cost,” she said.

So it begins... the great SF unravelling.

As I and others have said, they cannot please all their camps and go into power at the same time. This is just the start of it.

Delicious tbh!

Yes Mark, spot on.

They will start dancing on the head of a pin now on what constitutes ‘exceptional circumstances’.

They will try to drag the electorate down every rabbit hole going and will be tired proposing that everybody should ‘sit down’ and debate this if some of the ‘good Republicans’ come before the beak.

That should get us to 2030 at least as they tease every word and syllable and nuance out.

Heh heh…….. duddnt fool the Bren though….

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If I was someone with a medical condition that exposed me to Covid, I would be far happier living here than in the North where SF and the DUP have really messed things up or even most other European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sinn Fein let the people down again.

"SDLP Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has said the public “should not be fooled by Sinn Féin’s spin on Universal Credit” after the Finance Minister defended a decision not to extend a £20 uplift.

Conor Murphy was one of the ministers who rejected party colleague Deirdre Hargey’s £55m bid to offset the loss of the temporary benefit for the rest of the financial year.

The Government added the weekly £20 supplement to benefits payments to help low-income people during the worst of the pandemic, but removed the increase at the beginning of October."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

While it might be an over-reaction on her part, it doesn't bode well if members are going to storm out at the sight of any capitulation of policy. Will make any time SF are in power in coalition more interesting, as they will inherently need to put some of their policies and beliefs to the side to get Gov policy over the line (as is standard for all coalitions).

And if their die-hards start quitting, who will be left? Since their main thrust of support can be attributed to mainly apathy of "Ah sure, they cant be any worse than FF/FG can they?".....which is not the best footing to base a political drive on.

The people who will be left are the permanently disgruntled who will melt away like the spring snow once their new voters find out, there isn't any Santa Claus or Pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow.

SF will be back to their core Irish Republican 10% of the vote in no time once they have to pull on their big boy pants and make the hard decisions in government..

It's going to be spectacular to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Unless FF are so desperate to keep their grip on power that they go into a coalition government with SF, I can't see any other possible outcome than a complete collapse of the SF vote if they did get into government. I'm not sure they're astute enough to do so, but in the event of a FF/SF coalition government, they could potentially use FF as a shield/excuse, blaming them for blocking all the magic progress they were going to make and say they need an even bigger mandate to fix it. Like I said though, I doubt they're astute enough to pull it off convincingly....not quite as confident that there aren't a significant number who could be convinced though.

After promising all things to all people, even if they were wildly successful, realistically they could only deliver on a fraction of what they've promised, and several of the things they're vowing to fix will take much longer than one span in government to resolve (even if the proposed solutions did work).

Given the history of government in this country, it could still be a watershed moment for FG/FF depending on how the electorate breaks. Do they flock back to FF/FG after the emperor has been spotted walking around in the nip, or does it leave a gap for a less controversial centre-left type of party to start making significant gains?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I watched Mary Lou McDonald on the 6.01 news not less than a week ago giving a one on one interview. She was challenged a bit, pointed out some valid government failings etc, generally had her say and nobody batted an eyelid.

Now however, the *Minister for Health* is giving a one on one interview on the pandemic response and its a perfect opportunity to stoke up this idea that everyone is out to get Sinn Fein. Always a good tactic to discredit the media, it takes the sting out of any valid criticism

Up there with "we won the election" (despite only running about 40 candidates) and "the main parties are excluding us from government" for misinformative spin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Very interesting that a member of the New IRA is getting day release to attend a funeral (these are the killers of Lyra McKee). Who has agreed to be assigned by the court to accompany him. None other that a SF MLA. Notable

None other than his cousin.....who happens to be a former SF MLA. Not so notable.

Did you even read the news article on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

If course I read the news article.

being his cousin has little relevance. McCartney is using the office of MLA to secure the IRA members temporary release. Are you saying it is irrelevant that he is a sf MLA. I’ll predict your answer and ask you why he choose his sf Mal relative rather than any other relatives?

obviously McCartney is not abhorred but the actions of the new ira or he would not have allowed his office to be used.

• Advertisement

Considering McCartney is no longer an MLA, I really struggle to see how he is using that office to secure anyone's release.

If you read the news article as you claimed (rather than just picking up some second hand Twitter outrage or the likes), you'd know this; he is referred to as a FORMER MLA in the article.

So yes, I'm saying it is irrelevant that he is a SF MLA.....because he isn't. I'll await your graceful retraction.

SF is really the worst political party on this island for this crap.

I keep saying it but they borrow every tool in the toolkit from the likes of Trump and UKIP.

Watch these fools in power in a few years falter and disintegrate.

55 to 60 seats

many of those from existing left wing independents and soc dems and pbp

SFF in 2025 on current trends

A lot can happen of course in 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Its weird the way people try to put SF in a box so they can use that to say they changed their mind on policy etc.

Its pretty lame. People will decide who they do and don't support all the time. SF will suffer no better or worse from the majority of voters because of it.

Is the plan to say they sold out, if they get into government to try save some LOLs?

Seems those who claim to have issues with SF are the biggest complainers when SF make a shift in policy.

Why hold SF to such a high bar, above all other parties?

No plan

Just the Syrizza template

An SFF government next time round

I'd suggest looking for a new home early,given the bluster of the past few years on this forum

Get in before the possee

Alternatively you could pretend a whole lot of stuff was never said and enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

What's a "Syrizza template" if you don't mind me asking pal 🤔

Are you going to be one of the lads scaremongering and waffling about SF being hard left commies who will bring the country to it's knees with their radical policies in one breath, and then laugh and mock at them changing or adapting policies "to become more to the centre" in the next?

A left wing party in Greece that won a majority, implemented very little of its programme after it got into government, and was replaced at the next election by a centre right government

They spoke at a SF Ard fheis as heroes but were dropped like a hot snot once they weren't going to be the example they were bigged up to be

They manifesto'ed the impossible you see and once in government only did the possible like everyone else

Paul Murphy used be raving about them too

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

You need to read posts properly before formulating what you believe to be a clever answer bud.

I didn't ask who Syriz(one z)a are, I asked what a "Syrizza template" can you explain what that is please?

Will they the SFers implement this "template" by "softening their policies to appeal to the middle ground" ?

• Advertisement

The answer is in my post

I expect SFF to be a benign government

No radical change

Anyone likely to be upset by that prospect can act or not act on my heads up opinion as they wish

Advertisement