Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As I said already, it was a desperate attempt at deflection. Sinn Fein have made fools of themselves on this issue and are doing so on practically every environmental issue. It is the same on the carbon tax. People don't like the carbon tax, but most realise it is necessary. SF are making a virtue out of opposing it, which only exposes their unsuitability for government.

I produce facts and figures backed up by relevant links, you throw out anecdotal nonsense, yet you accuse me of "poorly taught (sic) out soundbites". You have proved my point about the false romantic vision of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Did I miss it or have Sinn Fein been very slow to congratulate their great pal Daniel Ortega on another Putinesque (seven potential presidential challengers jailed and opposition parties blocked from participation) democratic triumph?

https://www.canal4.com.ni/partido-sinn-fein-irlanda-visita-nicaragua/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Is it all about housing and jobs?

On jobs, its not an issue anymore thanks to your competitive economy and FDI, something being in the EU has given us, something SF were against joining...

On housing, FF built lots of homes during the Celtic Tiger years... but it didn't end well. Anyhow, they are spending 4 billion a year, 40 billion over a decade on housing. If this is not enough, then how much is enough?

Did anyone catch Eoin O'Broin on RTE's Drivetime the other day?

Normally EoB is one of SF's better performers but on this occasion, he was all over the place when questioned by both the FG Senator and the RTE presenter. Cutting to the chase, SF had in their 2016 manifesto a proposal to build a certain number of social houses, but in fact, the government beat those SF proposals!! EoB then goes on to say the numbers were 'revised' which drew laughter from both participants in the interview.

He was getting very narky that he was not given a free ride to spout his easy solutions to all and sundry.

It was classic SF opposition politics. Whatever the government does or says they will do, they will do it better..

Can wait to have these people in government and have to defend their actions... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

And what have SF ACTUALLY done?

Nowt, my friend

"In real terms, Irish unity is and always has been a complicated affair. Its most vocal advocates Sinn Féin to this day refuse to condemn even just one of 2152 lives their paramilitary comrades took on behalf of what they called Irish Freedom."

That really is sad, just shows how terrible Sinn Fein are, those innocent children they supported the killing of.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Given the mess the government has made of housing policy, it's hard for an opposition TD to come out the wrong side of a debate on the subject, but O'Broin somehow manages it in that clip.

Anyway, I've always felt that Violet-Ann Wynne show be given a chance as shadow housing minister. She showed great creativity in delivering cheap social housing for her family and she should be given the opportunity to do the same on a national scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

shinners polling at nearly 40% according to twitter , thats going to go down well in here come de witching hour lololol 🤣

ive an early start in the morn , unfortunately as id love to be here in real time when the news reaches certain posters , and fan hits the sh1t as they say

can you have popcorn for breakfast ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was literally just thinking that , that Waterford td proved that day that he can never govern, I’m completely open to vote for anyone but how can someone like that be in government, Also the Paul Quinn murder is a sore one for me

Sore one for a lot of people Ash.

Unfortunately we can’t prove anything there yet, but it’s fact that the Waterford event and several other events

have proved the odious background that surfaces from SF events .

Like yourself ,I would suppose, putting suits on these guys and gals doesn’t ‘ butter any parsnips’ and those of us who can see through the cant and rhetoric from that party indeed should be wary and rightly be concerned if these people can form a ‘government.

We need to really drill into their policies, and not be sweetened by promises and woolly ideals.

Middle Ireland needs to be afraid,…….. very afraid….

ah give over brendan , since the water charges youve been spouting the same guff about " middle ireland " and sf never being in power etc etc , and now youre guff getting exposed for being that , guff .

sf in power , might end up having to get the troika in , maybe they will plough billions into bankrupt companies for their mate , denis , with a sweet deal , maybe they will end the trolley crisis that ginger haired knob from mayo said he would end , or fix housing ? tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber had a hundred years to themselves and their cronyism and incompetence is coming up an end , you whining and shaking your fists at passing clouds cant stop change either , but it aint half funny watching you lose your hair over it , your an establishment man tru and tru , resisting change for the sake of resisting it lolol

Just pointing out the facts Bag.

Lot of insults and bile thrown around there, not my way of debating, but hey facts will always trump insults.

absolutely no " insults " my end of this discussion bendar , like you , im posting facts as I see them , and the facts are youve been on here posting the same tired crap since the water charges , " middle ireland " this , and " rhetoric " that , while you try and cover up and make excuses for the clowns in govt on other threads !!!!

youre waving hands like a lad directing traffic on the runway at heathrow screamin " nothin to see here " over on the thread about a leak for christ sake , so i am happy to stand by me posts here

people like me can spot nonsense posts a mile away , and people like me will be here to point at those nonsense posts and laugh at them for the comedy gold they are lol

Heh heh…. I’ll leave it to people to decide for themselves as to what words are insults or not.

Id be fairly confident that “ Middle Ireland’ and ‘rhetoric’ are not regarded as insults.

The folk who get up early won’t be silenced, make no mistake there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rolling boh

well there no real signs of any improvement in housing health and other problems which stayed off the news a bit with covid so its no surprise folk might think they cannot do worse so will give them a vote but they may well be the largest they will still be a good bit off having the seat numbers to lead a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

Any news on Carthy, career still in jeopardy and serious repercussions etc etc?

Has Harris gone in and corrected the Dail yet pal?

You are a gas man Bendar. 🤥

Alan Kelly showed again the problems Sinn Fein have when it comes to getting a government together.

In saying how could any left-wing party be against the LPT and carbon taxes, he was repeating what I have posted on here. I suppose I can add Labour shill to the long list of different shills I have been accused of.

Possible they may even get a second preference off me next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I remember back in the day when SF were banned from appearing on media and so were by extension pro-free speech. Now they are supposing bills banning protests that are contra-establishment ethos. It does seem somewhat ironic.

SF and Climate is about talking from two sides of its mouth. Something for everyone but no one has to pay for it. Magic beans politics.

They simple don't have a clue, Mark. Do you remember Mary-Lou going big on quarantine for all travellers, despite their not being enough hotel rooms in Dublin for the people who arrive at Dublin Airport?

Well, look at how they messed up in the North on the issue. It beggars belief that some voters consider them suitable for government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Reading the article, it appears the cost per head is so high because a relatively small number of people had to be accommodated.

A cost for NI MHQ of £2.6m doesn't actually strike me as quite as awful as the slant the BelTel have tried to stick on it with their, 'per person' line there.

For context, we spent €5.4m on the initial contract with Tifco, €3.2m on a further two month extension.....while also charging the individuals staying €1875 a head. I'm not sure we came out much better?

We had an awful lot more in quarantine, but whether we fared better or worse, the lesson to be learned is that compulsory quarantine was a very expensive and pointless exercise, those that called loudest for more of it should be called out for not seeing that.

That's a fair enough point, Blanch (I oppose MHQ as a concept too), but you can't say, 'SF were calling for MHQ.....imagine they were in power here' when those in power here implemented it anyway.

I can understand an across the board criticism or support for it, or I could understand if you could point out some way our government totally differed in their implementation of it, but taking a dig specifically at SF because they might have implemented something that the sitting government actually did implement....well that just reads like your usual SF vendetta where you'll side with anything at all as long as it appears to be critical of them and work out the justification afterwards.

I get that, I have been critical of MHQ from the start, but this is the Sinn Fein thread, criticism of the government position can be done on the government thread. On this particular thread, it is perfectly fine for me to focus on the huge costs involved and that the party which claims it is ready for government wanted even more of it. Sinn Fein were absolutely bull-headed on the issue while the government took its time, and in doing so, spent less money, so it is relevant.

The Children's hospital is costing far too much, but if a party came along and wanted gold-plated emergency rooms and ten more floors, it would be right to point out the extra waste as well.

But we haven't confirmed that it is extra waste; you said as much yourself when I provided some figures on what we did spend.

We've actually confirmed that the Irish government spent more, so your point that they took their time and spent less money doesn't hold up either. Just on the few months I found above, the IE spend for Tibco was €8.6m versus the NI spend of £2.6m (€3.1m). With an NI population of ~1.8m, that's a €1.72 spend per capita. With our population of ~5m...that's a delightfully comparable.....€1.72 spend per capita. I love it when numbers make such a wonderfully clear point; I hadn't looked at the per capita numbers before starting this post.

I get that it can be frustrating to get the, 'but FF/FG' response to absolutely any criticism of SF....but when you make a comment about their fitness for government, it is entirely relevant and logical to compare their actions to the current government.

I didn't post to criticise the government, but rather to make the point that you can hardly use SF's support for MHQ as a barometer for their fitness for government when our current government not only supported, but implemented MHQ....or at least one couldn't without also being of the opinion that the current government parties are not fit for government either (or blindly hypocritical as a third option I suppose, but I'd rather presume we're all conversing from an honest position here).

• Advertisement

We need the numbers accommodated to make the comparison, not the numbers per capita in the country. As a more open country, we have more visitors, hence one of the reasons I saw it as impractical to bring it in.

None of that invalidates my point however, that those who were calling for more MHQ would have caused an even bigger unnecessary bill and profit for big business hoteliers.

Edit: and all parties support social welfare, but some want higher or lower social welfare rates, and it is valid to criticise that, so ditto applies to levels of MHQ. A bad idea, but those parties that wanted more are worse.

Advertisement