Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,645 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fair play to Eoin nice of him to break away from the party line. Re the Gerry Carol. Maybe it is a small sign of progress?

Now if the SF councillors stop block voting against housing developments as well - and use their own judgment. Instead of the SF line of No. We might see progress there as well some day.

I noticed a pro SF poster on here failed to address why we do not see SF voting individually- instead of a collective no on housing developments.

The poster just repeated a lie that I said only SF vote against housing developments. My point was that SF vote in a block against many housing developments.

Hopefully EOB not towing the party line on misguided ‘nod and winks’ - to a dark Republican past, is just the start.

For once fair play Eoin O’Brion! There will come a time when SF has to distant itself from Gerry et al if they want to lead a government.

I think EOB is smart enough to see this. It is a shrewd political move IMO. It has shown up his party colleagues and made him stand out. As the new type of Sinn Feiner. Not hanging onto Gerry ‘the Druid’ Adams trousers. Like MLMD et al.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Where did you glean that? All we know is O'Broin, (rightly in my view) called Adams out and a SF councillor called O'Broin out. Seems very healthy to me.

You were on here surmising and supposing why SF felt the need to block housing. You suggested it was because they wanted to own housing. That was a yarn because the article you posted stated reasons why they and others opposed it. Then you later posted more articles in which SF stated they'd issue with the cost being high as it took private profits into account and they wanted a council/state build.

Here you are peddling a different variation of the same kind of dishonest yarn.

I saw no comment saying you said "only SF vote against housing". A lie on your part? Maybe quote this lie?

Adams should be gone IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

SF will probably be lead the next government regardless of what O'Broin said.

Time will tell was he right or not. Imo, he should have kept his mouth shut and concentrate on his own job. He's hardly setting the world on fire, and will never achieve a fraction of what Adams has.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yeah…… keeping your mouth is always a big plank in SFs policies.

Above all else…..keep your mouth shut…….bad things can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

Wasn't there an instance of "homophobic hicks" from a rural branch of Young Fine Gael calling for the FG leader (who you seem to support going by this site) to step down Brendan Bendar?

Could you remind me what happened to those particular individuals who didn't keep their mouths shut in that particular instance? At least Eoin O'Broin is still in his job.

Speaking of which, have you any updates on the status of Matt Carthys career being in jeopardy, and what serious repercussions he faced when Simon Harris forced him to correct the Dáil record, and apologise. Don't tell me Simon has still not taken any action, and he's still seriously considering taking some, is he?

• Advertisement

I stand by what I said I asked why SF changed strategy and bloc voted against many housing developments since 2019 that was my point. You dismiss it as a yarn. So there is no getting you to even question why on the issue. You also dismiss my theory that EOB stance is an indicator of the beginnings of a new SF. Yet you yourself admit Adams should be gone.

Normally with SF there is little if no dissent. They normally like to be viewed as one. Tobin and Aontu are the rare exception based on another issue entirely.

EOB move to distant himself from Adams could be the start of the normalisation of SF. However it was telling that this still has a long way to go with MLMD defending Adams singalong. It is clear that many in SF are still wedded to the past and Adams:/McDonald relationship is crucial to the party.

It will be interesting when Adams and the like stop appearing as part of the ‘SF negotiation team’ after a GE. And when Adams stops been wheeled out for SF photo OP’s.

Because it will show SF as a party really want to move on - and have moved on - IMO.

Gorm, as many astute observers like yourself have noted, there are a lot of ‘ cave dwellers’ still well embedded in the bowels of SF.

They spring up every now and again most likely under instructions from Connolly House.

ML and MIchelle certainly don’t call the shots against the ‘old guard’…..long way to go as poor Eoin is learning.

This vid from Gerry has turned up a lot of stones with a lot of creepy crawlies being exposed.

Uhmm..

You said yourself that dissent is healthy in a party. Ok you have the core principles of a party. But you normally see robust discussion on issues. Personally if I see more like EOB stand up to the pandering to past outdated agenda- it gives me hope for the future.

But at the same time it worries me that MLMD went straight on the defence of Adams. Is McDonald only a puppet leader?

I would be of the opinion that the party is being run by puppet ‘leaders’ and the real decisions are made elsewhere.

How can people vote for them then if that is the case? Ok some people might not care. But makes me think the likes of Labour have made a right hames of things as a ‘normal’ political party. What are they at? In my view Labour take a large blame in the creation of this power vacuum. They seem to have no vibrancy about them.

In contrast SF seem to have the PR thing off pat for ‘the south’. Playing up to the housing rent etc. Getting young female members into the party. To soften the beardy/shady image.

The only problem SF have is when the old guard play up to the past. Stuff aimed at the old guard or NI. But this is dismissed as SF being SF. Yet they manage dual identity both in NI and the ROI.

Meanwhile Labour seem to struggle for an identity or arguably have none. Letting the radical left such as PBP outshine them. Even the more middle ground SD seem to outshine Labour. The more I think of it I blame Labour for leaving this gap SF have gradually eased into in the ROI. Labour were supposed to be the alternative the one that made the three party system work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think a lot of Labour's difficulty still stems from their promise breaking on entering government with FG in 2011 and their failure to do a proper mnea culpa for it subsequently. IMO they will continue to struggle until they appoint a leader untainted by that 'betrayal'.

Very simple, people don’t realise or think about what is going on.

The Gerry vid is ,in my opinion ,the first crack which appeared in the SF facade for yonks.

When people realise that a policy based on whatever the Govt.offer we will offer that +, whatever the govt plan, we think it’s not enough, etc etc….all happy in the knowledge that they will not have to implement anything.

Perspective folk can see through that and understand that no country, especially this country, could last through policies like that.

Stuff has to be paid for, universal wage, free health care, public services ,don’t come free.

The Greeks thought is was great crack when dudes on motorcycles rode up and promised ‘the divil an’ all’.

Did’nt last too long even though the lefties swarmed over from here to ‘help’

Look them now…..biggest debt in the EU.

Thats how she rolls G. we all need to wake up and smell the silage.

You lied. You said it was claimed you said it was just SF that was a lie for effect.

All I did was point out there was reasons given and other parties were involved.

O'Brion criticised Adams. I don't think its as big a deal as you think. Its probably old news except in the civil war party think tank.

I agree Adams was out of order but I don't expect SF to apologise for prior actions or engagement with the Troubles/conflict. I would lose respect for them if they did. The civil war party needs to grow up and realise SF won't try pass themselves off as turning their backs on their history. A history many are very proud of. Like it or lump it, that's who they are.

If you don’t mind me saying, Same auld waffle, same auld living in the past, same auld hoary grey bearded warhorses and some new upstarts lurking in the background, ready to push the two sock puppets aside if any of their heros are spotlighted for any reason.

Surely folk can see thru these imposters and their agenda which seems to have conned a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

Lol good lad Darby, I'm not surprised Bendar skipped past this one, like it never happened....

Your comment reads like random sentences written by bad software. I've no idea what you are saying.

Who are imposters and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭rolling boh

there is awhile to before the next election the polls at the moment are good for sf but still a lot to do to make it into power from their point of view better to keep the ball in the ruck and spend as little time as possible actually getting involved in debates to explain all the costings needed to put their solutions into action .

Lookit, I know that the auld ‘ I can’t understand’ card is beloved by certain quarters in an effort to gain time.

But I can see through the tactic.

Sorry ‘bout that a chara.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nonsense, he didn't lie.

Nobody ever said it was just Sinn Fein, that is made up in your own head. You can link to the lie if I am wrong.

Well, well, well, was wondering why it was so quiet around here.

"The party was also found to have breached transparency rules by failing to tell voters their information was being secretly recorded on their internal database. It also found Sinn Féin had not carried out a legally required Data Protection Impact Assessment on the database before it was launched in 2019.

The DPC said these were “matters of significant seriousness from a data protection perspective”."

"The DPC investigation into every political party found Sinn Féin is the only organisation with a “bespoke database” combining data from Registers of Electors and Marked Electoral Registers with data obtained from party canvassing activities."

We were told on these boards that Sinn Fein were not the only party with such a database. That has turned out to be untrue. We were also told that this was an insignificant issue, but it seems that these are matters of significant seriousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Quite important to note the other content of the article, Blanch;

The data watchdog said there are no limitations under existing legislation stopping Sinn Féin or any other party from operating database which notes voters perceived voting intentions.

The DPC found there are “no particularly concerning findings” to report from auditing 26 parties but made more than 80 recommendations on how data protection policies could be improved.

While SF were the only one with a bespoke database. FF, FG and the Greens were also highlighted as having data protection concerns. SF can continue to use their bespoke database, they just have to ask for permission to store data from voters and do a DPIA.

As I said at the time, I found it concerning that my data was potentially being stored without my knowledge, but as usual you can't resist your urge to try and make it out to be a bigger deal than it is, undermining any credibility you have. It ends up downplaying the actual significance, as most people who aren't already totally in lockstep with you glance and think, 'oh there goes aul Blanch on another rant'.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-required-to-tell-voters-about-secret-abu-database-on-all-future-election-material-data-protection-commissioner-41166998.html

Such biased reporting. Buried at the bottom

“The same report reveals that Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and the Green Party were instructed to update their privacy policies regarding the use of electoral registers.”

The labour party is a farce (lame duck party) and ultimately only exist to rubberstamp ffg decisions and collect handy pensions and union subs

Been in government several times and have refused to reform industrial relations act 1990,thus leaving us with the highest rate of low-pay jobs in the oecd outside america (by a significant margin the highest in the eu)

Afaik serious moves afoot within sf to have "newer faced" canditadates platform strongly on this issue,the stragedy being the middle class will sweep shinners to power,but an envigorated working class and empowered unions will envigorate political activism and cause an uptick in voter turnout in areas where they polled strongly tradionally,but struggled to get their vote out......

Thus insulating shinners from a flight of votes to likes of soc dems etc and potentially putting em into minimum of 3 of the next 4 governments (they will be due a massive cull/blood letting by then likely).......and most important of all,an end to this bolix 'Gig job' economy

So you can't remember. I can understand that. Its like a code.

Jaysus they really are desperate.

Didn't we have the civil war parties sending out reams and one on the hook only a few months ago?

Easy solution here is for.this lad to resign and regain a political approval of his electorate....and force ffg into a by-election and use it to beta-test the accuracy of internal polling and reform/adjust it to better enable vote management for future elections.....consantrate heavily upon which boxes are strong/weak for em

Use every oppurtunity and controversy to hone its internal mechanisms with an eye onto the next general election

Nobody ever claimed he did say that, thats the lie. You are now complicit because you know that. Quote it? He failed to do so. Sure come back after Christmas and claim MLMD wanted to open all the pubs. Habit of rehashing lies some of you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Fairly small beans stuff, but in saying that, 'but FF/FG did it too' isn't much of a defensive argument when made by those who argue that SF represent some sort of change from the same old corruption and cronyism.

• Advertisement

Bang on....if you want to be the best and achieve all you want,you have to demand the best of those around you

Let ffg play the game of blaming everyone else for their mistakes,the lad done wrong,simple as....either pay back monatory amount in multiples of what he done here,or resign

Advertisement