Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,645 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Here is a general article from the Irish Times written by a former UUP director of communications.

Implying the main Unionist party DUP making a mess of things. Plus Mary Lou Mc could be a bigger threat to unionism than Adams/McGuinness ever was.

It seems whatever you call SF’s dual strategy North and South. Even some Unionists have a sort of admiration how SF are doing things. I am sure they are delighted with the article.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Well I wouldn't go that far, it's Adams and McGuinness who paved the path for her to get into that position in the first place, it's not that Mary Lou is a big problem it's that Sinn Féin is now stronger than ever which Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams are more responsible for than anyone else.

The political strategy you are talking about was planned out by Adams/McGuinness/IRA 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I agree, however, SF weren't going to progress with Adams hanging around. They were necessary but their time is passing.

Its rare,im genuinely suprised and happy enough to critise poor performance.......so fair play on the good work👏👏👏

• Advertisement

I don't believe that to be true at all it's merely rubbish put out there by RTÉ the indo and FF/FG, numerous polls showed Adams being extremely popular especially amongst young people.

It was just my opinion.

I do believe the civil war party push to expect SF to apologise for who they are or were is a nonsense.

Civil War parties still backing the mother and baby homes and church.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

No, there was a demographic land political upper class and a demographic and political lower class, and the demographic / political upper class resorted to violence in order to prevent the lower class from attaining equality. That is the only possible way to describe the videos which are widely available of RUC members beating the sh!t out of NICRA protesters.

The minute a baton touched human skin at that protest and the person who swung it was not jailed for assault, violent uprising against the oppressors became entirely justified, and anyone who continued to wear the badge and uniform after that day became a legitimate target of that uprising. Such is the case any time any demographic upper class uses violence to oppress others.

For context the same reason I argue that violent riots targeting police are a justified response to unpunished police brutality in the United States. If the government won’t treat all citizens equally by choice, forcing it to do so is perfectly justified. To quote Cillian Murphy’s character in The Wind That Shakes The Barley, “You tell me what I'm supposed to do as a democrat. Turn the other cheek for another 700 years?”

No. That is not the answer. The only people who argue that that is the answer are those who, deep down, don’t want those seeking equality or justice to succeed. Peaceful, non violent resistance is ideal, and every movement which seeks emancipation or freedom from oppression should attempt it as a first port of call. The very second any arm of an oppressive state responds to peaceful resistance with violence or bloodshed, there is no longer any immorality in escalating the peaceful resistance to a violent one, and targeting the arms of that oppressive state.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Following a request by a user I'm setting out below some of the more active linked accounts, now banned:

1. McMurphy
    2. BKelly21
    3. BackOfMyBag
    4. Brown Sugar
    5. CDarby
    6. Up At Fleecies

Most of these accounts have been actively sock-puppeting since March. I have deleted posts over the past few days from this thread made by these posters

Another 4 accounts have had all posts deleted when banning, or were sleeper accounts

One particular twist was the setting up of another account, "scumfein" which clearly was to be used to appear to be trolling the political party in an attempt to garner favour from people who would be offended by such posting

Needless to say I take a pretty dim view of anyone stooping to this level, and the site will always act against people who do this sort of thing

Again, there is to be no further discussion of these activities here. Please stick to the topic. If people do feel a wider discussion of this behaviour is warranted please start a discussion in Help Desk. There is nothing at this stage to suggest this was anything more than one individual looking to use this site for their personal political purposes

I agree with the first part but completely disagree with the part about the USA, not the same thing at all.

Someone has to police the USA so how could anyone justify the use of violence against the police over the actions of individual officers, the USA has a huge population where everyone has a gun so these incidences are bound to happen, whereas in Ireland Northern Ireland was disputed territory claimed by two governments the authority of the police was fundamentally rejected.

• Advertisement

The other difference is the RUC were not a police for the public. They were bias for one community and aided terrorism as did the BA.

The majority of Irish people were certainly not proud of the Provisional IRA. Let’s not rewrite history. In fact ordinary decent Irish people living and working in England -suffered persecution at worst and embarrassment at best. As a direct result of the provos. It made many ashamed to be Irish. Until Euro 88 in soccer you would rarely see tricolours flying in the civilised part of Ireland.

Unless that person had hardline Republican sympathies it was not the done thing. The provos had hijacked the flag.

IMO all the provos succeeded in doing was tarnishing the decent Irish people and soiling the Irish tricolour they claimed to fight for.

Leaving others to fix the mess. It achieved nothing militarily only death and destruction. If you see glory in that fine. It might have been preached at you when you were growing up. But the reality was very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Who would go in to government with Sinn Fein?

Looks like one way or another they'd need either FF or FG.

I'm struggling to see where a middle ground could be found, particularly on bread and butter issues, with either unless SF moved more to the center as the price for being part of a government.

Funnily enough I think FG would be a slightly more likely partner as FF see SF as intruding on their natural territory and will want to maintain a separation and relish the chance to batter them from the safety of the opposition.

All depends where your from i guess....anyone i known can understand the way things decended anyway....and understands all.the violence stems from partition,which thankfully is winding down

Maybe we dont need them clowns in government?

Things will never change while they are about.....(fun fact: centrism deosnt exist)

Does it not concern you that SF might be even bigger clowns?

Can you give us a list of potential SF ministers and their portfolios and we can make a judgement now on competency?

Who wants a partnership with one of the crowd caused all the problems? Best off moving on without them and if we end up with another civil war coalition we'll watch their following drop some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FullyComp

So...saving the party's reputation is more important than improving their voters' lives?

You can only improve/change things from government. Everything else is rabble rousing.

They may be,they may not be.....if they are,can easily vote out again (and push more indos/pbp type politians)

.....the utter arrogance of ffg (and media) carry-on saying we arent allowed vote for anyone else and sneering,while they carryon like they do,needs to end.......its beyond me how people think norma foley and mary butler are more competent than pearse doherty/martin kenny,but each to their own.....

hoping.to see an end to this pricking around with 30 odd ministeirs/junior ministers....its a salary grabbing mess and will likely see over 45 of present government TDs being ministers after this "reshuffle",which is simply farical

Tell me of present ministers,since your placing yourself in a position to rule the roost on compency,are above county councillor level-in your eyes-

• Registered Users Posts: 15,082 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

How do you move on without them? Thankfully we live in a democracy where proportional representation is used for voting.

If SF do manage to get 50-55 seats in 2025 how do they form a government in your opinion?

• Advertisement

if they are, can easily be voted out again

It will be too late then.

If you are voting for a party like SF be sure to be doing it with your eyes wide open.

It's not a party full of Eoin O'Broins...

What degree does Pearse Doherty have and how many times did he drop out of college?

He is your prospective minister for finance I take it...

Its never too late...theres an election at a max of every 60 months

We have a government of utter farce,attorney general advice was always confidemtial...until it wasnt....corp tax was a sacred cow,which even talking of changing it was effecrivelt banned/shouted out...until all of a sudden,it turned out to a nothing matter......

media and ffg have fed country a line of utter rubbish propaganda with over a generation,its long since time they were fcuked out and people of country allowed to vote for change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Centerism has seen us prosper for decades. Give Sinn Fein and the other various Trotskyist parties and individuals a term in government and the people will flock back to the center.

What deos it matter if he dropped out of college.....anything better than the overgrown baby,that is present miniater of finace who screamed up a fuss and demanded an apology over being asked a taxation qs on shoes (a fg policy of 80s)....while shinners are regularly slugging through qs about a war over with quarter of a century anytime they rise in the polls

Come here to,whats the present budget deficit and when was last time it was balanced 3 years in a row...and deos the stormont executive (farce btw) ever succesfully balamce its allocated budget??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

No way will SF do that if FF are up for a deal.

It deosnt exist mate....its right wing dressed up in progressivness....hence how we have a government which votes through gay marraige/abortion(inevitable progress)....while simutaneously perpetauting direct provison,have from what i can ascertain little to no medium to long term stragedy to improve the lot of travellers and elimating childhood poverty seems to simply not feature anywhere in goverbment manifesto

The deficit was well under control before Covid and the protections for people were put in place.

You can't have it both ways.

Your man was telling us to default, default, in 2010.

Had the country gone that direction we wouldn't be able to raise a cent today to run this country and the IMF would still be making the decisions on all of our fiscal policy.

So....no answer on when the budget was balanced 3 years in a row then....some bunch of clowns which have fed a line of being fiscally conservative to the gullible🤣🤣🤣

Would the imf have us signing blank chèques to BAM to build the most expwnsive hospiteal ever,or have us closing down peat production to import it from halfway across europe and get it tipped into the same bogs.....while media sneer at anyone whom qs how viable this is long-term??

The fact the healy-raes speak more commonsense than the present government is a joke

• Advertisement

You're tying yourself in a knot now which i'm happy to squeeze for you.

So your concern is the deficit, is it?

Ok, well tell us then how hurt the population has to be to balance a budget in any given year? Not a plan to balance the budget in some future year but to actually balance in any given year up until 2019.

And fyi before Covid in 2019 the country was left with a surplus of just over €1bn.

Advertisement