Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭blackwhite

And now you’re so desperate that all you can do is lie about what others have posted. Keep on strawmanning and defending abusers. All you seem capable of

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sure didn't everyone? I threw them a preference myself but their behaviour since the election, and the carry on of the online supporters has changed my mind completely. You might think Im on here trying to get a rise, but I honestly think they looked at the tactics Trump used and tried to copy them:

1. The mainstream media is the enemy of the people/ there is a broad conspiracy between the establishment and mainstream media to keep us out (it helps to cultivate this way of thinking because then as soon as a story is printed that shows you in a bad light, you can automatically discredit it as part of the conspiracy)

RTE constantly have david cullinan and louise oreilly on unopposed to give interviews, on both radio and the likes of prime time. Generally it goes off without anybody caring. They typically show stories critical of the government too, and exposes on the reality of the housing and health crisis, but as soon as a negative story is shown about SF (no matter how factual or unbiased) then there is a pile on and accusations that RTE are part of a government conspiracy and a govt mouthpiece.

2. We are going to drain the swamp

How many times has Mary Lou/SF relied on phrases like "insiders" "cronies" "the inner circle" - these are all vague, unspecific, buzzwords that mean f-all, but are great for rousing a bit of anger

3. All other parties are the same, we're different

SF, like other parties, suit themselves. They protect their own as much as any other party - fine, who cares, they all do it, just acknowledge it

4. Childish nicknames for opponents (sleepy joe/crooked hilary/mehole martin/Leo the leak etc etc)

No explanation needed

5. Deflect,deflect, deflect. It doesn't matter how factual or pertinent the point is, it can always be countered with "Yeah but FF/FG did ......"

All parties do this, similar to Enda Kenny wheeling out the "where are the bodies Gerry" every now and then. Its the online supporters who are worse though - SF can literally do no wrong, there is nothing they can do, that can't be countered with something FF/FG have done - without realising that this kind of contradicts point 3

6. They stole the election from us/we were the rightful winners and are being excluded from government by the establishment

Having received roughly the same votes as Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, SF claimed victory in 2020. It was a huge gain for them no doubt - a fine performance that caught them by surprise themselves. Having spent years painting FF and FG as exactly the same party, and completely opposite to SF, SF were suddenly appalled that they were being "excluded" from government. Creates a nice victim complex, a great story to tell the supporters despite the fact that we have a functioning democracy and it is functioning as intended

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Defending abusers and going after sexual abuse victims is the way of SF!

Dogs, fleas and all that...

Not surprised Brucie is in the middle of this, yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pearse Doherty has been doing similar with large Irish and multinational businesses. I was at one of the meetings organised by one of the big 4.

Message in that meeting was very much that SF wouldn’t risk doing anything to disrupt the business environment - urging businesses not to pay any heed to the “noise” that’s been made in media appearances. Make of that what you will

• Advertisement

You are attempting to change the subject to how the Gardai would operate under a SF government - this is an argument you (and you alone) inserted into an unrelated comment. Literally nobody was talking about this until you brought it up

Personally I think the biggest monsters are those who assisted the religious orders rape children, sell babies and imprison women and continue to cover for them. But that's just my moral compass.

Jesus Christ - in the space of around 4 posts you have successfully pivoted from the poor treatment of a journalist at the hands of SF supporters to child abuse and rape. Your about one step away from "Pizzagate", another Trump favourite. Moral compass indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Again with the sensationalisation. She never said "infected with the isis". You don't think former cult/gang members need to be deprogrammed to bring them back to the real world after being radicalised? Just fire them back into society and they'll get on grand? What she said was 100% right.

And if they did nothing, you'd be the first whinging about govt inaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is incredible to see the lengths that some will go to defend abuse of politicians. Of course the Gardai should be involved when such abuse carries over into harrassment. Some SF TDs have gone to the Gardai as well over it, and rightly so.

However, it is only SF supporters who defend such abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

again, for the hard of thinking, nobody has suggested banning convicted criminals from running for office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 BORATS RAT

Is Simon Harris "hard of thinking"?

Party TDs have said the issue is unlikely to come up, but Mr Harris said on Thursday: “This is quite an astonishing thing that the main opposition party, a party that wishes to lead the Government of this country is not willing to say clearly that it doesn’t believe hiring people with criminal convictions to take up sensitive roles in Government is something that should be ruled out.

Harris seems to want the main opposition party, and members of the public, to "rule out" a key component of an Multilateral agreement, which the Irish state signed up to.

We don't get to pick and choose which parts of that agreement we want to adhere to, and Simon would be better to keep quiet on things he clearly I'd in the dark about, lest people might perceive him as being naive.

Now you're just engaging in bad faith pedantry.

Simon wants the opposition party to "rule out" a key component of an international signed agreement.

I won't be wasting any more time discussing this with someone who is clearly debating in bad faith, so with that, I'll bid you good day.

i want a 99 right now but I'm not getting one. Simon harris talking **** is no cause for outrage.

You wanting an ice-cream with a flake in it is hardly a direct comparison with a govt minister, expecting the main opposition party (or any governing party) to rule out something that is a key component of a Multilateral agreement now, is it?

I have no interest in continuing this discussion now, as you are clearly not engaging in good faith.

that's the second time you have said that. Harris can expect all he wants. SF can tell him to feck off and they should.

It is not a key component of any mulitlateral agreement. The GFA was a bilateral agreement for a start, and the amnesty for criminal thugs was not a key component.

In any advent, there was nothing in the GFA that affects the issue one way or the other. It remains inappropriate for anyone with a terrorist conviction to be employed in a governmental position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Sinn Féin’s Carthy objected to EU ban on serious criminals becoming MEPs (msn.com)

now why would any one want criminals in gov and why ?

what party has shown its links to one of the biggest OC cartel in Europe

There is no doubt that Sinn Fein has been ambiguous around organised criminality for a long time, whether on this issue or on the SCC or its own links with gangs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

She didn't. And you know I wasn't quoting her directly. So why lie to try prove some point? She was concerned asylm seekers might have isis among their number so they should be sent for re-education.

Yes, I don't believe we should treat all asylum seekers as potential terrorists. Thats just me.

• Advertisement

Where have I lied? I directly quoted what you said. She said that Islamic State is "a big part of the migrant population" in Ireland and services are needed to "alleviate that type of indoctrination".

ISIS themselves stated that they were using the "refugee crisis" to get terrorists into Europe. The head of Germany’s domestic intelligence agency said in 2016 that ISIS were sending militants across to Europe.

• "We have repeatedly seen that terrorists ... have slipped in camouflaged or disguised as refugees. This is a fact that the security agencies are facing,” Maassen told ZDF television.
    • Islamic State (IS) fighters are being smuggled into Europe by gangs in the Mediterranean, an adviser to the Libyan government has told the BBC.
    • Abdul Basit Haroun said smugglers were hiding IS militants on boats filled with migrants.

Do you think that we should not have services to try to deprogram those who may have been brainwashed by fundamentalists??

How have we ended up talking in a Sinn Fein thread about a TD who was kicked out of Fine Gael because of her views?

Is it the ultimate in whataboutery from the usual suspects?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You claimed I was quoting her directly I wasn't.

I think we should have nothing to do with a politician who wants to send asylum seekers through re-education. It's very China.

If someone is fleeing ISIS they are unlikely to be ISIS. All nations seem to have homegrown extremists. Do we start re-educating based on ethnicity? Do you see the slippery slope?

It was highlighting the type of politician we don't like. And if SF had same would we want them out too. Sorry Blanch. Jean McConville something something. Go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Nonsense, SF barely contested any seats during the troubles, they only started contesting seats in the Republic during the late 80s and only started putting effort into the political campaign in the Republic in the mid 2000s.

The biggest poll taken on IRA support in the Republic was in 1979 the poll showed 22% of people in the Republic supported the IRA although only slightly over 50% claimed they were opposed to the IRA, but at the same time another question in the poll showed that the vast majority of people wanted immediate unilateral British withdrawal from northern Ireland.

Post edited by Harryd225 on

I'm sorry but on your first point, you are clearly wrong, both our (The Irish Government) and the British government have committed to (paragraph 5 of item 10 "prisoners") to:

5. The Governments continue to recognise the importance of measures to

facilitate the reintegration of prisoners into the community by providing support both prior to and after release, including assistance directed towards availing of employment opportunities, re-training and/or re-skilling, and further education.

No part of the agreement is there on a pick or choose basis. Sinon Harris comments were inappropriate, and showed he was entirely out of his depth making such statements.

On your second point, the good Friday agreement is comprised of a multilateral agreement by the British government, Irish Government and 8 parties from Northern Ireland.

There was also a bilateral agreement, between the Irish and British, so you're wrong on that point also I'm afraid.

You are welcome to use a search engine to check the veracity of this, should you wish.

Having studied the GFA as part of my degree, and on several dissertations, I'm well versed in it, and can't really believe I'm correcting people on its most basic principles.

If you are dealing with paragraph 5 of item 10 of any agreement, you are not dealing with a key component. My point still stands.

Integrate prisoners into the community, yes, appoint convicted terrorists to sensitive governmental positions, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Former prisoners (on the republican side) had widespread support across Ireland and they turned this support into political support, many of the top SF politicians before and after the GFA were former prisoners including Martin McGuiness, Gerry Kelly and Gerry Adams. Although Adams was interned rather than convicted.

Where did I claim that you were quoting her directly?

She didn't want to send asylum seekers to re-education camps, you've made that up completely.

What on gods green earth are you talking about? Libyan govt advisors, the head of Germany's intelligence agency, the EU all accept that fundamentalist cells entered the country as "refugees". They are on record about it, the head guy from the Bataclan attack got in as a "refugee". You keep saying re-educating as if deprogramming fanatics is a bad thing. She made no mention of ALL refugees having to be deprogrammed like you're insinuating.

If anything the Shinners don't like Verona because she'd be vocally against their open borders by the backdoor "no deportations" policy and the fact that as former head of the Hauliers Association she would have sat in on security briefings regarding the dangers of unfettered migration.

An actual quote from Verona "I’m at the coalface. As president of the Irish Road Haulage Association (IRHA), I have attended security briefings on unrestricted migration. Briefings given by Interpol, the MI5, the UK Border Force. I doubt anybody in Dáil Éireann has as much experience of the migrant issue as I have. I apologise for the unfortunate use of language and that’s what it was, but the issue I raised was the security issue."

Here's SF stating that EU law is racist and degrading!!

https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/47610

Slab Murphy would make a great junior minister for cross border trade tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So voters in the Republicf needed a major campaign effort over many years to persuade them to start voting for SF in any numbers? Doesn't sound to me like the 'National Question' was a major priority for them...

Advertisement