Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

As the alleged abuser turned up to defend himself at court then as a 'democrat' that is the only rightful way to describe him.

I think he did wrong on this, it was a huge mistake to make. I said at the time I thought he should have chosen that point to resign the leadership. He didn't, he chose to address it and apologise for it.

He protected a pedophile. Would you agree that if it was anyone else they'd be out of the party? Any other party would of got rid of him.

As i said many times, with SF anything goes. The "cause" thrumps everything.

With regards the other rapes, if a child confided in you about abuse would you use the word alleged until there was a conviction?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

jh79 wrote: »
    He protected a pedophile. Would you agree that if it was anyone else they'd be out of the party? Any other party would of got rid of him.

With regards the other rapes, if a child confided in you about abuse would you use the word alleged until there was a conviction?

Not necessarily

McMurphy wrote: »

Completely different. The abusers had already been convicted.

Gerry protected the abuser rather than have bad PR for the IRA. He facilitated access to children to a man he knew to be a pedophile.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bull**** and a blinkered view.
    Certainly wouldn't agree. I was painfully aware of what the Ceann Comhairle was being accused of before the pandemic allowed him to limply excuse.
    I am also painfully aware of the fight successive governments here undertook against the reforms Louise O'Keefe wanted. There is also huge legacy issues for the power swap parties and their supporters to accept and reconcile around these issues.

Stop with trying to make this all about one party.

I would have to judge the situation. But as I don't personally know the people in this case and one of them voluntarily turned up to defend himself than as a democrat I have a duty to call him what he is...an alleged abuser. Very simple consistent rule for me. I refer to 'alleged collusion' in the cases where the British have not been found guilty as well.
    We need more people behaving like democrats in this country, not less.

Completely different. The abusers had already been convicted.

Already convicted v accused that makes it better how?

Stop twisting.

• Advertisement

Bull**** and a blinkered view.
    Certainly wouldn't agree. I was painfully aware of what the Ceann Comhairle was being accused of before the pandemic allowed him to limply excuse.
    I am also painfully aware of the fight successive governments here undertook against the reforms Louise O'Keefe wanted. There is also huge legacy issues for the power swap parties and their supporters to accept and reconcile around these issues.

Stop with trying to make this all about one party.

I would have to judge the situation. But as I don't personally know the peple in this case and one of them voluntarily turned up to defend himself than as a democrat I have a duty to call him what he is...and alleged abuser. Very simple consistent rule for me. I refer to 'alleged collusion' in the cases where the British have not been found guilty as well.
    We need more people behaving like democrats in this country, not less.

Do you believe the rapes never took place or that it was consensual?

Stop twisting.

Justice was served.

Gerry chose to protect his army from bad PR.

He gave a pedophile opportunities to rape more children.

Are you honestly saying giving a character reference is equivalent!

Stop twisting.

Micheál Martin wasn't getting his photo taken on the steps of the Dáil with the victim in this case. In fact Micheál was silent on this largely.

Hypocrisy? What else could it be?

Justice was served.

Gerry chose to protect his army from bad PR.

He gave a pedophile opportunities to rape more children.

Are you honestly saying giving a character reference is equivalent!

Let's back up here and stop trying to move the goalposts, you said if any other politician offered protection to a pedophile they'd be out of the party, or the party would have gotten rid of them.

The Ceann Comhairle sent a character reference in support of an actual convicted pedophile.

He apologised for doing so to the victims, which is an indication he accepts that it was wrong to do so.

He's still in FF last time I heard.

Time to hit reverse jh.

• Advertisement

Micheál Martin wasn't getting his photo taken on the steps of the Dáil with the victim in this case. In fact Micheál was silent on this largely.

Hypocrisy? What else could it be?

What your point here? FF/FG using this for political gain means SF/IRA should get a pass for their inaction?

Let's back up here and stop trying to move the goalposts, you said if any other politician offered protection to a pedophile they'd be out of the party, or the party would have gotten rid of them.

The Ceann Comhairle sent a character reference in support of an actual convicted pedophile.

He apologised for doing so to the victims, which is an indication he accepts that it was wrong to do so.

And he only did it after a long hard fought campaign by the family of the abused. Micheál despite calls on him, ignored the campaign but of course fully embraced the campaign of somebody who was alleging abuse because .....well, I think we can all work out the 'because' ourselves.

Time to hit reverse jh.

Gerry protected a pedophile from being caught. He helped Liam get access to more potential victims. We are talking about children under 10.

Giving character references is wrong in these cases but in no way comparable to helping a pedophile to evade justice.

What your point here? FF/FG using this for political gain means SF/IRA should get a pass for their inaction?

It was stated there was something unique about this being a SF issue.

Far as I can see, SF fronted up and accepted blame and apologised and put systems in place to stop it happening again.

Giving character references is wrong in these cases but in no way comparable to helping a pedophile to evade justice.

So with that in mind do you want to retract your assertion about anyone else being removed from a political party, or are you standing by it jh?

It was stated there was something unique about this being a SF issue.

Far as I can see, SF fronted up and accepted blame and apologised and put systems in place to stop it happening again.

To be fair Francie some of it was unique to SF. Can't imagine any other party offering to have the abuser shot

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

To be fair Francie some of it was unique to SF. Can't imagine any other party offering to have the abuser shot

Ff fg are the biggest gangsters in the country

So with that in mind do you want to retract your assertion about anyone else being removed from a political party, or are you standing by it jh?

No, unless you can show a party where the leader of the party was told a member raped a child repeatedly between the ages of 4 and 10 and instead of reporting it to the police reported the mother (also a victim of domestic abuse) for child neglect. And then in his wisdom offered the pedophile jobs looking after children and let him live in one of his homes.

The IRA offered. Which stands for Irish Republican Army. They are not a political party.

Wasn't it the IRA, not the Shinners that made the offer, and they did so likely because of nationalists not having much faith in the police or justice system in the north at the time.

I mean, if you're going to discuss uniqueness, I'd argue it was pretty unique, unprecedented even that a police force would try to turn a victim into an informant against republicans, rather than investigate the abuser. Aine Adams herself said the RUC were more interested in getting Gerry, than dealing with her allegations.

• Advertisement

Wasn't that because of nationalists not having much faith in the police or justice system in the north at the time.

I mean, if you're going to discuss uniqueness, I'd argue it was pretty unique, unprecedented even that a police force would try to turn a victim into an informant against republicans, rather than investigate the abuser. Aine Adams herself said the RUC were more interested in getting Gerry, than dealing with her allegations.

Same thing has been said in the Cahill case. There was more interest in Getting Gerry there too than in getting an alleged abuser off the street.

The priorities of the high moral grounders are all over the place when it come to Getting Gerry.

Wasn't it the IRA, not the Shinners that made the offer, and they did so likely because of nationalists not having much faith in the police or justice system in the north at the time.

Can you explain the logic behind reporting the mother for the kids having nits but not the father for raping the 4 year old daughter?

wrote:

Links to source detailing how the Ceann Comhairle offered protection to a known convicted pedophile, apologised to the victims for doing so, and he's still in FF.....

No, unless you can show a party where the leader of the party was told a member raped a child repeatedly between the ages of 4 and 10 and instead of reporting it to the police instead reported the mother (also a victim of domestic abuse) for child neglect. And then in his wisdom offered the pedophile jobs looking after children and let him live in one of his homes.

So you have shifted the goalposts.

The priorities of the high moral grounders are all over the place when it come to Getting Gerry.

Could you explain this further? How should I discuss Gerry's protection of a child rapist?

Links to source detailing how the Ceann Comhairle offered protection to a known convicted pedophile, apologised to the victims for doing so, and he's still in FF.....

So you have shifted the goalposts.

The Ceann Comhairle letter was between conviction and sentencing.

Gerry protected Liam from arrest and conviction and gave him unfettered access to more children.

Big difference.

Francie, do you see these actions as comparable?

Could you explain this further? How should I discuss Gerry's protection of a child rapist?

Getting Gerry is always the priority with the PSNI (as we have seen) and the cohort here. Pretty simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You're conflating FF/FG/church with decades of industrial abuse is whats shameful. It was caused by the Irish people as a whole. FF and FG were reflective of the views, attitudes, and will of the the people at that time. They have no case to answer, despite the platitudinous sorrys offered, but that is simply to satisfy the modern public's demand for one and feel absolved of their guilt. The church has more to answer for alright - but it is a neutered and insignificant force now.

I didn't sell anyone's baby. I didn't send a Garda with the local priest to take a rape victim to a home to be mentally abused for the rest of her life, why was Martin apologising on my behalf? Was his party and Fine Gael's assisted and turned a blind eye and covered.
    The public knew what they were told and told what was acceptable.
    So how come the modern FF/FG are still putting up roadblocks to the survivors?
    It was private individuals and survivors brought and dragged the state into where we are.

markodaly wrote: »
    Still peddling this misinformation?
    You are displaying your lack of knowledge of the basic facts here.

When did Collins order some pubs to be bombed in England?
    I gave you a quote from Tom Barry himself, who was disgusted with how the PIRA conducted themselves. Are you saying that Tom Barry was wrong, that the old IRA and PIRA where the 'exact' same? Quite a claim!

Point out one lie or any inaccuracies in that post.
    You tried to use Collins as an example, to compare him to the IRA you don't like stating he was more restrained and he knew middle Ireland wouldn't accept the violence. So apart from the massacre and assassinations you suggest but for optics he would have been no different. He was not more restrained any way.
    Now you're moving the goal posts. Was Hitler the other day :)

I am sure it is something to do with anything but the topic at hand.

When supporters of the SF/PIRA are on the back foot the general tactic, is to not talk about the actual points raised, but to divert attention to something else.

Usually in this order:
    FG
    Leo
    Maria Cahil
    Da Brits
    Leo
    Maria Cahil
    Flanagan
    FG
    FF
    Covid
    Housing
    Leo
    Leo
    Leo
    FG
    FF
    Eoin Murphy
    Da Brits
    Boris
    DUP
    The Greens
    Leo
    Leo

etc...

God forbid they have to defend the actual record of SF/PIRA without having to do a 'Look over here!'

You are simply trying to put your tactics on others. FF/FG do it constantly.
    MM was asked only yesterday to address the victims seeking their due as laid out and signed to and he attacked the shinners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

I am sure it is something to do with anything but the topic at hand.

When supporters of the SF/PIRA are on the back foot the general tactic, is to not talk about the actual points raised, but to divert attention to something else.

Usually in this order:
    FG
    Leo
    Maria Cahil
    Da Brits
    Leo
    Maria Cahil
    Flanagan
    FG
    FF
    Covid
    Housing
    Leo
    Leo
    Leo
    FG
    FF
    Eoin Murphy
    Da Brits
    Boris
    DUP
    The Greens
    Leo
    Leo

etc...

God forbid they have to defend the actual record of SF/PIRA without having to do a 'Look over here!'
    at least spell the fcukers name right if you're trying to bash sf

Advertisement