Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Scratchly wrote: »
    Embarrassing stuff from Mary Lou. Makes a song and dance over the increase and puts on a big show about giving it back. Then complains about making the papers because she wasn't arsed reading past a headline.

And then the usual conspiracy nonsense from her supporters trying to claim the media are out to get SF because something something spin, something something establishment is running scared.

Or pointed out that the only information which made that photo relevant was hidden behind a paywall, and as such the vast majority of people who clicked on the article would not receive this clarifying information and instead be left with the impression that the headline was directly relevant to her.

I'm always amazed at how simplistic people can be when it suits.....often the same folk who have no trouble with complex reasoning when it comes to justifying people on, 'their side' are reduced to logic that a reasonably clever primary school child could bat aside when it comes to throwing sh*te at figures they don't like. Not to say it is exclusively an anti-SF thing, I've seen the same applied to criticism of Leo for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So you are saying Mary Lou hasn't signed up for access to one of the main newspapers in Ireland? SF can't afford a few quid a month?

If it was about the visitors then why didn't Mary Lou post and explain she didn't want her photo over it.

No I'm not saying that. And I don't know if you're just acting dumb, or just just refusing to read what's in front of you.
    Let me know what part of "it's not about McDonald, it's about the visitors to the site who didn't get past the paywall" you're having difficulty grasping, and I'll go through it with you.

How many times is this now?

Will I have to get it made into a neon flashing sign for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Triangle wrote: »
    It's amazing how ye SF supporters resemble trump supporters at times.
    The fact is that 'sinister' news papers are constantly looking for click bait articles about anything and everything but ye only complain about SF articles and non SF articles are pure truth.

A bit of perspective is a great thing.

Anytime anyone says anything bad about Sinn Fein, they are a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

blanch152 wrote: »

Seemed I touched a nerve so we get the standard childish insult posts.

Hilarious how desperate some people are to back up a politician who couldn't read an article.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I thought the story was, there was nothing 'bad' about SF in this?

Which is it lads, youse are doing a Donnelly here.

• Advertisement

Cullinane nailing it here after the government managed another round of chaos (They've got it down to being able to do it in the space of a few hours) yesterday.

https://twitter.com/davidcullinane/status/1364125176368136193

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

McMurphy wrote: »
    No I'm not saying that. And I don't know if you're just acting dumb, or just just refusing to read what's in front of you.

How many times is this now?

Will I have to get it made into a neon flashing sign for you?

Mod: McMurphy, this isn't the first time I've asked you to dial it back with the personalized posts. Final warning - either learn to post rationally on the issue, or don't post.

Cullinane nailing it here after the government managed another round of chaos (They've got it down to being able to do it in the space of a few hours) yesterday.

https://twitter.com/davidcullinane/status/1364125176368136193

Hopefully the strong leaders are able to read more than the title of the page

We can only hope

Hopefully the strong leaders are able to read more than the title of the page

We can only hope

Personally I found MLMD's way of dealing with it, perfectly pointed.

She showed them up by responding to what the juxtaposition of the photo was meant to do. By changing the photo the newspaper knew they'd been caught. Job well done IMO. She didn't need to get down in the mud with them and start claiming victimhood. Simple to the point messaging and effective. They retracted.

Personally I found MLMD's way of dealing with it, perfectly pointed.

She showed them up by responding to what the juxtaposition of the photo was meant to do. By changing the photo the newspaper knew they'd been caught. Job well done IMO. She didn't need to get down in the mud with them and start claiming victimhood. Simple to the point messaging and effective. They retracted.

That is exactly what she did!!

The whole point was claiming victimhood.

• Advertisement

Seemed I touched a nerve so we get the standard childish insult posts.

Hilarious how desperate some people are to back up a politician who couldn't read an article.

Em no, I'm not insulting anyone.

First time.

I posted, and explained clearly that it wasn't about McDonald, it was about the thousands of others who didn't have subscriptions to the indo to read past the paywall.

You responded about "McDonald not reading the article"

Second time.

I clarified to you that it's not about McDonald, it's about the readers who don't have subscriptions.

You replied, ( again) with a "McDonald reading the article"

Third time -

I yet again clarified that it's not about McDonald, it's about people who don't have subscriptions.

Fourth time (maybe even the fifth)

I once again clarified, it's not about McDonald, it's about people who don't subscribe to the Indo.

You come back, pretending to be insulted, and wait for it...... Once again refuse to read or acknowledge what's written by posting this:

I'll stand over my post, you're being entirely disingenuous, and refusing to read and deal with what's been posted.

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

More votes for the Shinners after tonight's school fiasco and Donnellys car crash TV appearance

Tomorrow is going to get them even more.

This thread will be busy

Ahem

That is exactly what she did!!

The whole point was claiming victimhood.

She corrected the implication made in the juxtaposition...exactly what the editor has to try so calamitously to explain.
    The results of that calamity are all in the tweet I posted.

The victim here is 'good honest journalism'. You do yourself no favours trying to defend it.

She corrected the implication made in the juxtaposition...exactly what the editor has to try so calamitously to explain.
    The results of that calamity are all in the tweet I posted.

The victim here is 'good honest journalism'. You do yourself no favours trying to defend it.

If she didn't see herself as a victim, she would have let it go. Over-sensitivity to how she is portrayed is characteristic of her victimhood.

There are tens of misleading headlines about government figures every day, yet they aren't out whinging about it like the victims in Sinn Fein.

If she didn't see herself as a victim, she would have let it go. Over-sensitivity to how she is portrayed is characteristic of her victimhood.

There are tens of misleading headlines about government figures every day, yet they aren't out whinging about it like the victims in Sinn Fein.

Facepalm. 2 days ago.....

https://twitter.com/FineGael/status/1363428031528914945?s=19

The story isn't about Mary Lou, most of the people challenging the editor don't even mention her, they can see what the article was intended to do in other words.

Can you point to some of these misleading articles about government please, and we can see who is whinging about them or not?

*Is this another pointless ask for back-up one wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Are you claiming the Indo hasn't got a legendary reputation for this kind of reporting on SF? :D:D:D:D

As I said and stand by, the only unique thing about this is the blatancy of it. And the fact that the wider public are wise to it.

Hah I'm definatly not saying the indo is anything near reputable. It's so close to tabloid journalism yet just stopping short of crossing the line.

I'm just not shocked at what they publish anymore.

Edit: sorry, I should have said my previous post was about some people labeling such journalism as a conspiracy or 'sinister'.
    It's just click bait to get people reading, there's no conspiracy except newspapers printing anything that might make them a buck.

What are people arguing about? it is crystal clear she didn't bother her arse to read the article.
    She thought she would have a quick pop at a newspaper and get some likes from people because she hasn't taken the pay rise
    When it was pointed out that should have been end of it
    Now we have people desperately trying to say, well I am not sure what you are trying to say. Is it not ok to say May Lou made a f**k up? she has made plenty like all other politicians.

Triangle wrote: »
    Hah I'm definatly not saying the indo is anything near reputable. It's so close to tabloid journalism yet just stopping short of crossing the line.

I'm just not shocked at what they publish anymore.

Edit: sorry, I should have said my previous post was about some people labeling such journalism as a conspiracy or 'sinister'.
    It's just click bait to get people reading, there's no conspiracy except newspapers printing anything that might make them a buck.

I think it is (here's where their track record must be taken into account) more sinister than that. Not more sophisticated though. It's a world recognised tactic to bias a reader - misleading headlines and juxtapositions of photos. The Indo isn't the first and won't be the last to try it on.
    They got caught out this time because it was blatant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

What are people arguing about? it is crystal clear she didn't bother her arse to read the article.
    She thought she would have a quick pop at a newspaper and get some likes from people because she hasn't taken the pay rise
    When it was pointed out that should have been end of it
    Now we have people desperately trying to say, well I am not sure what you are trying to say. Is it not ok to say May Lou made a f**k up? she has made plenty like all other politicians.

Amazing how you can read between the lines to create your own narrative when it suits to criticise Mary Lou, but were insisting on taking what Pearse Doherty had to say at it's literal face value and totally unable or unwilling to interpret that with context.

.....it is almost like you have some sort of pre-existing position that renders you completely incapable of taking an impartial view on a topic.

• Advertisement

I think it is (here's where their track record must be taken into account) more sinister than that. Not more sophisticated though. It's a world recognised tactic to bias a reader - misleading headlines and juxtapositions of photos. The Indo isn't the first and won't be the last to try it on.
    They got caught out this time because it was blatant.

Always the victims, no matter what way anything plays out, Sinn Fein occupy this space. At one level, it is just laughable and silly the way they do it.

At a serious level, it raises questions as to whether they could ever hold power in a meaningful sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Always the victims, no matter what way anything plays out, Sinn Fein occupy this space. At one level, it is just laughable and silly the way they do it.

At a serious level, it raises questions as to whether they could ever hold power in a meaningful sense.

Well considering some journalists are asking if the present shower know there way to Govt buildings the way they've been carrying on, I think any alternative can only be an improvement.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well considering some journalists are asking if the present shower know there way to Govt buildings the way they've been carrying on, I think any alternative can only be an improvement.

You can hold that opinion. I hold a different opinion. We agree to disagree.

Did you find any examples of it happening to others blanch?

No problem giving my opinion if you can back up your claims.

Meanwhile, the Indo is getting called out for a world renowned tactic of those who want to spread fake news and bias.

Did you find any examples of it happening to others blanch?

No problem giving my opinion if you can back up your claims.

Meanwhile, the Indo is getting called out for a world renowned tactic of those who want to spread fake news and bias.

There are misleading headlines every day with articles hidden behind paywalls. I am not going down the rabbit hole of presenting examples so that you can engage in tedious analysis in order to distract from the thread.

I would guess that if you googled Leo Varadkar garda investigation you find a half-dozen inaccurate headlines on the first page.

There are misleading headlines every day with articles hidden behind paywalls. I am not going down the rabbit hole of presenting examples so that you can engage in tedious analysis in order to distract from the thread.

I would guess that if you googled Leo Varadkar garda investigation you find a half-dozen inaccurate headlines on the first page.

Come on...where are they? Show us, you made the claim...can you show one as blatant as this?

Isn't that what we were discussing...... You said McDonald just didn't bother reading the article.

Seems you knew exactly what point people were making all along.

New U-turn noted.

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

McMurphy wrote: »
    Isn't that what we were discussing...... You said McDonald just didn't bother reading the article.

Seems you knew exactly what point people were making all along.

New U-turn noted.

More u turns than the Govt

Another no surprise Sinn Fein story

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/sinn-fein-councillor-says-he-no-longer-considers-tuv-colleague-a-dhead-following-heated-row-40127822.html

SF councillor uses word "dickhead" in reference to colleague. What sort of people are they putting forward?

• Advertisement

"dickhead" such unparliamentary language. /Sarcasm.

Funny enough, if you Google "TD bad language" this article in the Irish Times is the first result.

Specifically this paragraph, where they state has to be "one of the most offensive statements ever made in the Dail"

Was.....

You guessed it guys.

What must rank as one of the most offensive statements ever made in the Dáil was a declaration by the then Independent, and later Fine Gael, TD Oliver J Flanagan in 1943, in the midst of the second World War: “There is one thing that Germany did, and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair’s breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is the honey, and where the Jews are there is the money.”

Advertisement