Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is really interesting to see the pile-on by the useful idiots who consider the publicity drive to sell a Sindo hack's book as an opportunity to bash SF. There's no big issue about RTE dropping an interview because of SF. It is simply a grotty PR exercise that seeks to create some controversy where none exists to sell a book.

As for the mentions of SLAPPs and censorship, this isn't a SLAPP case. It isn't even censorship. The pro-FG media outlets have all promoted this book. To explain it in simple terms, again, this is purely some anti-SF sentiment being used to promote a book. In buying the book, people are not damaging SF but they are making money for the publisher and Ross. It is positively Trumpian in the way that it uses the outrage of angry useful idiots to make money.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

SF must never have heard about the Streisand Effect.

As for Shane Ross, he must be delighted with all the free publicity for his book

SF has nothing to do with it, apparently. It is the PR people who are using a bunch of useful idiots to promote the book as they think that they are bashing SF. The book may be getting publicity but whether people buy it is another question.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

SF are the party bringing legal proceedings against the media

What legal proceedings are pending over this book? SF does not appear to be bringing any. This is purely a PR exercise to market a book by getting useful idiots to blame SF for an interview on RTE being dropped. It is straight out of the Trump playbook.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting RTÉ are taking a leaf from the Trump playbook? After all it is they that dropped the interview. Considering the level of interest in this interview now it surely makes sense to air it.

Obviously not. It is the PR campaign for the book that is using the useful idiots to promote it as they think it is an opportunity to bash SF. It is just the usual dog and pony show for a new book.

Regards...jmcc

How does a PR campaign stop a national broadcaster funded by the taxpayer from broadcasting an interview? The insinuations of interference are pretty serious. An easy way to deal with them is to broadcast the interview in full.

The job of the PR campaign is to make it seem like there is some controversy about the book in order to sell more copies. News organisations frequently drop filler and promotional interviews when real news stories appear. The book already got coverage on FG-friendly stations and the Sindo/Indo are churning out puff pieces to make it seem like there's been a terrible case of censorship by RTE. The useful idiots lap it up because they are stupid enough to think that SF is behind all this.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sidelining anything to do with Shane Ross probably did people a favour tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

With the way the SF followers are reacting here to Ross's book.

I simply have to buy it, something I rarely do is actually read books so this one must be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Ah lads, I've been as critical of SF on actual policy as any on this thread but some of ye are w*nking yourselves into a fury over some nonsense puff piece of a book. Shane f*cking Ross of all people to point out the wealth of others with his multi-million familial estate.

Of all the storms in a teacup in this thread so far....this one is a hurricane in a thimble.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

i decided to raise a few questions on this above post a fair few red flags.

1) FFG - the correct way of typing it would be FF/FG that divider or even extra F is not that difficult is it?

2) S.31 - sounds like the poster in question resented how it was there in the first place. IMO the only one who pines for S31 is Belfast Actor Conor Grimes who had a handy number doing Gerry Adams voice

3) The Indo - I would agree on the anti-SF stuff does get silly. It used to be much worse years ago where the digs were thrown at all sorts of off the wall angles

4) The leaders debate 2016 - SF was not a main player at the time simple as that - their time will come if the SF long term strategy continues on its upward curve.

5) RTE is a government propaganda outlet - that sounds like something out of a conspiracy theorists forum. Especially when it is well known that 'Republican activists' have infiltrated the Irish media quietly over the years.

6) Leaders debate mark II 2020 - Mary Lou did get in that leaders debate yet you somehow manage to turn this into a complaint

Regards,

My username is up there, I don't have to post it twice.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I am surprised there has not being comment on here on the 'ooh ah up the ra' chants from the Irish women's soccer team and SF's response from Michelle O'Neill who wants to 'leave it there'.

But at the same time we all remember David Culinane TD who was caught saying 'Up the RA!' on camera after the 2020GE. He went from denying he said it, to saying he did not know he was filmed, to finally saying he will not apologise for his republicanism.

So where do SF exactly stand on the 'up the RA' thing?

Are they proud of it or ashamed of it? Or only ashamed of it when it suits? Is there an official SF line on this or will such things always be part of the rustic 'charm' of SF?

I'm sure that you put a lot of thought into your post. Unfortunately, it is not supported by the facts.

FFG=Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, Greens. It is an acronym for the government parties.

Section 31 was used to impose an extremely warped prison of "politically approved views" on Irish journalism not unlike what Putin has done in Russia. Some of those who imposed it were Official Sinn Fein/Workers Party members and supporters who set up a group in RTE that targeted anyone with who didn't agree with their weird ideas. They were big fans of the Soviet Union. Among these weird ideas was running to the UDA to for any comment on events in NI. A future president of Ireland was intimidated out of RTE by these people. These people were not journalists. They were propagandists and the governments of the day left them destroy RTE's credibility. They weren't limited to RTE either. These people were not 'republican activists'.

SF was the third largest party at the time in terms of Dail seats and was polling higher than FF or FG. It seemed a political decision by RTE rather than a journalistic one.

RTE is the state broadcaster. It is supported by both government funding and advertising. It is dependent on the government for frequent bailouts. As can be seen from the way that SF representatives are continually interrupted on RTE programmes while FFG representatives are rarely interrupted, there is still an anti-SF bias in RTE.

As for your username being up there, the software automatically includes that beside your posts. Isn't that wonderful?

Regards...jmcc

Come on now that is disingenuous and you well know it, FFG acronym was used LONG before the Greens entered into government on these threads by SF supporters like yourself. So that one is not going to wash, your 'facts' seem somewhat tenuous.

I suggest you read 'Southside Provisional', is written by Kieran Conway, how he details the choices he had. He could have taken the easy route he said and 'infiltrated' the Irish media. Which is a Republican strategy. But he chose to go another route as a 'Republican activist'.

S31 was correct as it was done to stop Republican propaganda, and the SCC was used to deal with Republican activists as they were a danger to the state (that the domain of this site is registered in) (which SF refuse to say - The Republic of Ireland). It is strange now that SF are supportive of the SCC as their mates can no longer be prosecuted under them as they are no longer 'active'.

I still refuse to add my username here, as I don't need the attention - and it is not a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nonsense, FFG came into parlance under the previous government, as an insult thrown at that government. You know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Peadar making a fool of himself again with a not so subtle dogwhistle to dum dums, would SF consider a coalition involving Aontú?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So has anyone read this yet and what do you think? I'm not particularly a fan of Ross but given that RTÉ seemed to have engaged in censoring an interview he gave on the matter, I'd be inclined to order a copy. Might shine a light into a twilight zone.

I think the books sales might get a great boost from this and achieve a far wider readership.

• Advertisement

I'll never read that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

pretty sure thats the whole point of the 'outrage' we see. some cant help but be suckered by PR.

It is the same thing Trump does. The PR gets a bunch of SF-hating people angry and then sells them stuff. SF apparently has no involvement but the useful idiots line up to buy the book thinking that they are getting a dig in on SF.

Regards...jmcc

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why not? Surely by reading, listening, talking widely we get different views and can then make better informed opinions?

If you just read/listen to the same stuff all the time, it's simply self enforcing.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Surely the Irish Times could have left off the Halloween theme for another couple of weeks -

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pfizer admitted that they did no testing with regards to their vaccinne preventing transmission of Covid, so Toibin is right to ask given the claims made the government and the HSE at the time with regard doing your patriotic duty and not killing granny by spreading covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well talk about irony, Sf supporters, in this case, the Book and RTE's apparent fear about talking about it, Sf is making out that we are all mad and hating and all that, but, the only anger I see here is from Sf supporters raving on about it non stop. All I did along with a few others was mention the odd nature of RTE behaviour considering their track record for plugging books left right and centre. Highlighting this issue is not the act of raving anger in case someone plans on saying so.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

...because the claims were based on real world data (well, that and the fact that reducing symptoms also reduces infectivity unless there's a magic goblin involved to make the opposite of all other virus true), but good to know which group you belong to!

• Advertisement

So, Martin doesn't like being a useful idiot being used to sell a Sindo hack's book? It was an opportunity for him to take a dig at SF and MLMcD.

He "got it wrong" in the Dail claiming that SF had been given an advance copy of Ross's RTE interview. This was on the Dail record.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement