Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

sweet Jesus 🤣🤣🤣

some on hose down wee gerry here before he heads out burning orange halls and shooting collaborators again will ye

100 percent ?

lets start with who killed paul quinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the individual or individuals who killed him are the ones who killed him.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

100 percent honest eh ?

how about Joseph Rafferty,?  Robert McCartney ?

the individual or individuals who killed them are the ones who killed them.

• Advertisement

and those individuals are members of the ira and possibly/probably sf right ?

This is not surprising at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

ha yeah good one. most? did you poll the Island? its far from most. you've basically summed up my point neatly, so thanks.

its hilarious you cannot see that people like YOU are the reason a UI will never get off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

And I'd agree mostly with that. But why are people voting for them?

Take my own constituency as an example, Sorca Clarke ran the last local election, failed to get elected there. Then in the last election ran for the Dail and got elected as a TD, just one example of many throughout the country from that election.

Were all these new TDs a sudden conversion of the public to Republicanism or a deep dissatisfaction with the previous govts.

You, (we) can talk till the cows come home about IRA atrocities, crimes, cover ups, and plain stupidity of the people elected even, not naming anyone in that context as that's to be determined in the mind of the voters.

Sorca Clarke is quite an intelligent lady I feel in case anyone thinks I infer anything else here, but her and many others election came totally against what should be the run of play.

The political landscape has changed really is what I mean and the old grudges or misgivings about SF and their IRA connections is being eroded in voters minds. They are using the SF party and independents as their soundbox of dissatisfaction with FF, FG,Labour etc etc, not from belief maybe that they can solve any problems or the need for a united Ireland, but the lack of meaningful actions by the last few govts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nothing new there, Dr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That comparison with South Africa is a load of rubbish and is typical republican nonsense. The oppression and apartheid in South Africa was of a level far far worse than anything in the North. It is an insult to the coloured and black people of South Africa to trivialise their suffering in that comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

'I am not and have never been a member of the IRA' and Liam Adams spring to mind. Hardly a beacon of honesty.

While I know plenty, mostly on my original side of the border and particularly from my time living in West Belfast who align entirely with your thinking, the further away from the North and the border we go, the fewer people give half a toss about it at all.

I'd vouch that the upsurge in SF voting intentions is little to do with people suddenly waking up and deciding to support the historical physical force Republicanism, but rather more an ambivalence towards it as issues like housing and health are of a much greater concern to them.

Denial is a big part of the problem with moving on. Sure there was no need for insurrection, they were treated well enough!

Anyway, it has given way to a form at least of political fairness for all I suppose up there, one man one vote. Seems up there as well as here SF are the largest party?????? But sure they're all ira men and women that vote for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is just the stereotypical SF supporter @end of the road repeating almost clichéd phrases with biblical ferocity.

It is of course mixed in with a bit of mental Gymnastics. If the poster can even half justify it SF/PIRA did it.

If the poster can’t justify it the acts were performed by individuals but not SF/PIRA suddenly they become ‘personal issues’.

Much like the spin Gerry Adams put on his paedophile brother Liam. When he described such issues as ‘above politics’ . But Gerry knew of his brother working in youth clubs AFTER he knew of what his brother did to his niece . His own niece warned him.

Now if such things happened to Micheal, Ivana, Eamon, Leo et al .can you imagine the memes you would get online from ‘virtual SF’ ?

I can remember when the Liam Adams stuff broke. My first thought was they didn’t even have the ‘decency’ to kneecap him. And not only that, he was protected and kept in the SF fold.

Whereas in contrast only a few years previously Denis Donaldson was executed/murdered for being a ‘tout’. Obviously a much greater ‘crime’ in the eyes of republicans?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Well, at least you have given up on the inappropriate comparisons with South Africa.

Nothing inappropriate about it, a colonised country with opressed people is the same no matter where it is.

We irish are born of it ourselves, unless you think our Republic is not a legitimate identity born from taking back what is rightfully ours in the first place.

There are many arguments that would say we should never have given up our right to the whole island and some never did and continued to fight for that.

This new SF is born from that ideal, much the same as the old SF from our founding time. We had a civil war over it and we ended up with FF and FG from the split.

Legitimate politics (allegedly) was born from that and there's no reason to assume it can't happen again.

It's still in living memory when men were elected here with much the same history behind them as some of the new SF people elected here and north of the border. In another 100 years time they may well be looked on in the same light as our original politicians.

a UI will be happening, it's a case of when and not if.

the comparison is valid, you just don't like it because quite frankly i believe that you agree with the brutalisation of nationalists cause SF/IRA but won't be honest about it.

northern irish apartheid was real and brutal, and the end game would have been genocide of the nationalist community but for circumstances intervening.

Nothing is rightfully anyones, that's why nationalism is such a curse.

John Vorster (apareied era South Africa PM) said about apartaid,that he'd swop all the laws there,for one clause of the NI special powers act.....but seemingly to point this out,is insulting to those who view oppression through sectre of skin couler (aka right wing racists)

All irrelevant anyways,as even the DUP in their own,rather sad way over in Westminster,are admitting the game is up and a border poll passing is inevitable.....surely it's imperative to begin a citizens assembly and push on with reunification.....how much longer can liberials bury their head-in-sand around this issue,

• Advertisement

they will bury it and mud sling for as long as they can, but they will not stop the march of progress.

we already know the various stages of grief they have to go through.

Im old enough to remember Arlene foster so arrogant to say agree to an immediate border poll....now they are over in Westminster having some kind of brain-fart moment,that even liberial WUMs on boards wouldn't entertain

A SF politian holds Edward Carson's MP seat,support for union runs at 40%......the free state government are utterly useless and are devoid of leadership ability with their bury head in sand routine they carrying on over this

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am somebody who would love to see a United Ireland with SF in power and in Government. I have never voted for SF except on one occasion when Arthur Morgan was doing his best to retain the full services of the Louth County Hospital before being pushed to the sidelines in order to give Gerry Adams a clear run for Dail Eireann.

Now i've often though of and tried to imagine an Ireland under the rule of Sinn Fein and I wonder how they would have the Garda investigate fuel laundering, armed robberies of say Credit Unions / ATM's along the border or even the murder of Paul Quinn with many of their backers involved?? Would they / could they turn on their own? If they were in power how would they react to ex IRA members robbing Post Office vans ands murdering Gardai in the process?

There are many questions that need to be answered before people could have complete faith in them if indeed they could at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is similarities in that there was an armed Wing of the ANC which many conveniently forget. But there are also similarities with SF in another sense. When the ‘new bosses’ get their feet behind the desk/power it gets shady.

Not to derail the thread but South Africa went downhill with corruption/infighting after the ANC (and associates) were a while in power.

There is a main difference between the ANC v SF/PIRA though. The ANC had a huge mandate which was untapped. PIRA didn’t until SF evolved politically.

As some posters have implied you may have contempt for Republicans. I don’t know?

All I know is I have contempt for Unionism/Republicanism of the same warped mindset, in equal measure.

In my view such unionists and republicans have more in common with one other than the ‘Big Brother’ they both want to belong to UK/ROI.

You see it on programs with old alleged/admitted paramilitaries from both sides in NI they have a grudging respect for each other.

Even two posters on here for example @downcow and @FrancieBrady have much more in common with each other than a ‘Freestater’ Dub like me. Sure Francie even supports Nottingham Forrest because of Brian Clough.

Those two posters are diametrically opposed politically. But you can sense that unspoken respect because of the similarities of background and because of living in NI/Living on the border areas.

In fact you can imagine the two of them supping a pint in a ‘neutral’ pub.Nice Day? Aye? Yeah Aye.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

yes it is .

northern ireland is rightfully the territory of the irish.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion SF didn't have a huge mandate? They may have had if they weren't censored in both the UK and here? They have now anyway whether it's liked or not.

Everyone has the potential to be a nice person to have a drink and a bit of craic with. Certainly in the midst of the peace process McGuiness and Paisley seemed very much at ease in each others company while being polar opposites politically, given McGuiness was most likely a terrorist, very surprising. Very magnanimous from Paisley, pity more weren't as willing to move on.

Can you expand on that, not sure where you're coming from?

SF dropped abstention in 1986,by 1988 the British government felt compelled to censor them off the airwaves/tv

They polled something like 70% of nationlist in West Belfast in late 80s.......some uneasy truths for those whom sneer from their high horse,with alliance hemorrhage votes to the DUP going by latest polls

Fair enough. They now have a huge mandate unquestionably.

I'm not trying to push a SF agenda here, just questioning the logic of always bringing the troubles in to play at every point to smur them as that seems to be not having any affect on their growing popularity, or at least negligible, as today's generations of voters seem to have moved away from that.

Politically I think of them themselves as self serving as the party's they accuse of that too. They'd promise the sun moon and stars for a vote and would surely harm our country economically if they got into power,imo anyway.

They let themselves down politically time after time, and that can be highlighted with ease. Their policies economically would ruin a rich country let alone a struggling minor one.

They'd be as self serving as their northern predecessors too if it suited them.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/northern-ireland-assembly-election-2022/election-briefing-from-gerrymandering-and-an-april-fools-wish-list-to-northern-irelands-most-unambiguous-party-41511883.html

• Advertisement

I think they'll stand up for ordinary workers and poorest people in the state

We badly need elect people to look out for ordinary workers and end these politians simping after international corporations,who can/will leave as soon as it's more profitable now.....we have a government who wants to "make work pay",unless your on low/ordinary wages it seems

Advertisement