Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's outrageous that it was sent in the first place Francis.

Well I would have to see the Ceann Comhairle inbox tbh to see if this is as unique and outrageous as he says...he doesn't have an issue with doing outrageous stuff himself via letter or email nor acting at the behest of 'unelected' emailers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1129/1181287-sinn-fein-stanley-tweet/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Well I would have to see the Ceann Comhairle inbox tbh to see if this is as unique and outrageous as he says...he doesn't have an issue with doing outrageous stuff himself via letter or email nor acting at the behest of 'unelected' emailers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1129/1181287-sinn-fein-stanley-tweet/

Whataboutery.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Whataboutery.

Absolutely. I have no respect for this Ceann Comhairle sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blanch152 wrote: »
    Just applying Occam's Razor here.?
    Most people misquote and misuse the so-called Occam’s Razor. Even when correctly cited the concept has only limited abstract merit and is completely non-operational. It has approximately zero real-world applications .... William of Occam (a.k.a. Ockham or Ocham) is attributed a variety of different “quotes” pertaining to a problem-solving principle based on parsimony / simplicity. They usually state something close to: simpler solutions are preferable to more complex ones; simpler explanations are preferable to more complex ones.
    However, this idea is not unique to William of Occam, and there is actually no direct quote from him that one can produce to support that he even made such claims in his works. The closest one gets to are these two quotes:
    “Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem”, translating to “Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity” and “Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora”, translating to “It is futile to do with more things that which can be done with fewer.”

https://towardsdatascience.com/stop-using-the-occams-razor-principle-7281d143f9e6

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Absolutely. I have no respect for this Ceann Comhairle sadly.

How come Francie, lad seems quite fair and sensible.

• Advertisement

How come Francie, lad seems quite fair and sensible.

I think he's lucky to be in office tbh...saved by a pandemic. I watched a family raise awareness about the letter of support he sent on behalf of an abuser and the campaign gather a head of steam. Micheál (the man who was happy to stand with the 'right' victim for photo ops) studiously ignored the rising calls for the Ceann Comhairle to account. His rather pasty excuse got swamped in the first lockdown. I also don't think he should have involved himself in Arlene's little campaign either. In short, I think he is a party boy when he should be studiously impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I think he's lucky to be in office tbh...saved by a pandemic. I watched a family raise awareness about the letter of support he sent on behalf of an abuser and the campaign gather a head of steam. Micheál (the man who was happy to stand with the 'right' victim for photo ops) studiously ignored the rising calls for the Ceann Comhairle to account. His rather pasty excuse got swamped in the first lockdown. I also don't think he should have involved himself in Arlene's little campaign either. In short, I think he is a party boy when he should be studiously impartial.

Seem to have a bit of skin in the game Francie, so I cannot refute your opinnion!

Seem to have a bit of skin in the game Francie, so I cannot refute your opinnion!

Was discussed here at the time Brendi.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It’s been a bad couple of days around here for the SF supporters.

First we had the SF cronyism = good, while independent process/JAB/state boards.ie = bad. That just has to be left there for anyone to see.

Now we have the hysterical nonsense that the CC is effectively falsely accusing SF, because he didn’t name the ignorant thug who contacted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You are missing the point completely.

Appointments made by FF/FG/Green government: transparency through state boards .ie

Appointments made by SF under the Stormont government: cronyism

Simple as that.

Not only that but we have the usual defenders of all things SF, make up wild allegations about ministers or government TD's taking bungs or bribes from 'Dinny' or others..... with no proof mind you...

Siteserv, Children's Hospital, Build to Rent apartments etc.. have been used as examples.

• Advertisement

It’s been a bad couple of days around here for the SF supporters.

First we had the SF cronyism = good, while independent process/JAB/state boards.ie = bad. That just has to be left there for anyone to see.
    the discussion you ran away from, muttering 'cronyism'?
    Now we have the hysterical nonsense that the CC is effectively falsely accusing SF, because he didn’t name the ignorant thug who contacted him.

The discussion where you have made two contentions that are not supported as yet?
    That the CC knows the name and that the emailer was 'abusive'.

We're off to the usual start with you taking a ball and running with it.

the discussion you ran away from, muttering 'cronyism'?

The discussion where you have made two contentions that are not supported as yet?
    That the CC knows the name and that the emailer was 'abusive'.

We're off to the usual start with you taking a ball and running with it.

Discussion is finished, Francie.

Happy to leave both issues out there for all to see.

Discussion is finished, Francie.

Happy to leave both issues out there for all to see.

So you'll just keep walking from the questions asked of you? Ok.

So you'll just keep walking from the questions asked of you? Ok.

It’s the questions that show up the desperate defence of all things SF.

It’s the questions that show up the desperate defence of all things SF.

So 'sneaked in' (an invention) wasn't a desperate attempt to convict? Or the absence of any explanation as to what was done wrongly wasn't desperate?
    Or the patronising male attitude to a woman's abilities wasn't desperate either?

https://www.independent.ie/news/ceann-comhairle-sean-o-fearghail-demands-apology-from-sinn-fein-for-outrageous-email-40051914.html

"The Ceann Comhairle said no one in his office has ever been “dictated to” by party officials. Mr Ó Fearghaíl said none of his predecessors were ever approached by unelected party officials to make complaints. A source at the meeting said the Ceann Comhairle was furious and told Sinn Féin: “I will not accept this and I will not be dictated to”."

You have to feel sorry for O'Feraghail. He obviously never understood that Sinn Fein is run by unelected people behind the scenes.

What are unnamed and unelected SF officials doing writing to the Ceann Comhairle in regards Dail procedure?

Is this just another way to try and bully and intimidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

markodaly wrote: »
    What are unnamed and unelected SF officials doing writing to the Ceann Comhairle in regards Dail procedure?

I didn't hear anyone from team FG complain when Arlene Foster penned a letter to him to be honest.

Might be because she's on the same team?

No, the report says it was from an 'Unnamed party official. It does not say the Ceann Comhairle did not name him. So that needs clarification.
    Can you also point to where anything was said about 'abuse'. An 'outrageous' email is not necessarily an 'abusive' one. 'Outrageous' because it tried to influence, is the issue I would assume.

Your needs getting the better of you again maybe?

I love the forensic way you analyse language when it suits, yet if the shoe was on the other foot, wild and spurious allegations are made with no evidence or proof.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I didn't hear anyone from team FG complain when Arlene Foster penned a letter to him to be honest.

Might be because she's on the same team?

Because there are obvious differences between the First Minister of the NI Executive and an unnamed SF official trying to dictate Dail procedures.

You know that
    I know that

what are the differences?

Well one is elected, the other is not.

One is the NI First Minister, the other is not.

• Advertisement

Well one is elected, the other is not.

One is the NI First Minister, the other is not.

Neither is elected in the free state??

That whole affair raised all sorts of qs,that have never been answered about the ceann comhairles independance and its long since time,they were answered

Because there are obvious differences between the First Minister of the NI Executive and an unnamed SF official trying to dictate Dail procedures.

You know that
    I know that

Neither of us know who wrote to the Ceann Comhairle.

You know that and I know it too.

Regardless, Foster had no business writing to him either.

You know that, I know it too.

Neither is elected in the free state??

What is the Free State? It doesn't exist anymore.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Neither of us know who wrote to the Ceann Comhairle.

The indication is clear that it was not an elected SF rep, it was some backroom official.
    Regardless, Foster had no business writing to him either.

Why do you say that?
    Certain North/South cross border initiatives are protected in the GFA.

Can you show anything other than the Ceann Comhairle's ire, that a party official writing to him is prohibited. Then explain why he acted as head honcho for an unelected person from another jurisdiction?

I love the forensic way you analyse language when it suits, yet if the shoe was on the other foot, wild and spurious allegations are made with no evidence or proof.

Where?

I have no issues with anyone making allegations, but they have to explain what basis they are made on.

The indication is clear that it was not an elected SF rep, it was some backroom official.

Why do you say that?

What? :):) the North South initiatives Arlene and Unionism **** on from a height this week?

We are well beyond the looking glass when posters, one of whom is against the GFA, want to somehow prove what 'right' the First Minister of NI has in writing a letter to the Ceann Comhairle in regards comments made by a SF TD about a bomb attack that killed 18 people in NI.

Why do you say that?

You said an unelected Sinn Fein official has no business writing to, and trying to dictate Dail procedures.

Arlene Foster (I guess) doesn't even hold an Irish passport, and is a member of a party who is openly hostile to our state and many of its citizens.

She's as much right as this unnamed unelected shinner to write to the independent Ceann Comhairle in my opinion.

Talk to me when the DUP run a candidate in the 26 counties. She can try and dictate Dail procedures all day everyday when they do that.

• Advertisement

We are well beyond the looking glass when posters, one of whom is against the GFA, want to somehow prove what 'right' the First Minister of NI has in writing a letter to the Ceann Comhairle in regards comments made by a SF TD about a bomb attack that killed 18 people in NI.

Some of you guys answer a question for once...where is it prohibited for a party official to write to the Ceann Comhairle? Legislation chapter and verse.

Advertisement